Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Logistics of GnR touring
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Logistics of GnR touring  (Read 4660 times)
brazil66
Rocker

« on: August 06, 2015, 10:31:44 PM »

For gnr to do a world tour there must be a lot of work, attention to d?tail and logistics to consider...I always wondered who and how much Time it takes to carry this out...afterall gnr carry a massive show, lighting, pyro and big crew....Fernando I do not Know If this is your domain but would welcome to get your take on it or anyone else of this board...i Know that planning and pr?paration needs to take place well in advance b4 it actually starts.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:49:53 AM »

The Stones haven't done a full blown world tour since 'A Bigger Bang' in 2005-06.

But Jagger says most of it has to be planned out a year in advance.  You need to book venues, book travel, hire a crew, figure out finances.  Its a huge undertaking.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:10:28 AM »

As far as I know, there's a bunch of professionals involved in booking a tour.

On one end of the field you got the promoters and concert/festival organizers..

Then there's the booking agents, travel agents, logistics people, different kinds of designers (the lights don't just go on and off randomly etc.), financial people, merchandising (you might wanna sell shirts at the shows), crew, drivers and so on...

The logistics involved are quite cool to see.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »

Just this past month, I read an article about "Weird Al" Yankovic, of all people.

He was addressing people complaining he didn't come to their town.  And, really, even addressing the people that thanked him for coming to their town.

His overall point was that he has very little to do with tour logistics.  He tells his people he wants to tour, and they set it up.  They gauge the demand and book appropriate veunes.  They set up the dates in terms of where he plays, when.  They even tell him what he can reasonable charge.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:33:23 AM »

Yes, it's not really a matter of not wanting to play a certain city.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
brazil66
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 11:39:30 AM »

Jarmo...it's a massive undertaking and probably very complex...you will have had the opportunity to see a lot of it being impl?ment?d behind the scenes. Does that rest w?th Fernando to over see everything or del as the tour manager...must be stressful as the logistics and mechanics are complex...
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 01:51:10 PM »

Flying around the world with pyros can be a big issue, but the big ones are electrical safety and making sure the stage is sitting on firm ground. I'm sure making sure all the small details are in place is a group effort. I think it would be a bad night if Axl noticed something was out of place.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »

There's been all kinds of things happen due to the unpredictable force that is nature.

The show in Rio de Janeiro in 2010 was postponed due to the storm winds knocking down part of the stage.

There's been typhoons and earthquakes in Japan. Rain in Indonesia that postponed the show and so on....

/jarmo

Fernando
The REAL Fernando
Rocker

Adz sucks irl.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:57:24 PM »

For gnr to do a world tour there must be a lot of work, attention to d?tail and logistics to consider...I always wondered who and how much Time it takes to carry this out...afterall gnr carry a massive show, lighting, pyro and big crew....Fernando I do not Know If this is your domain but would welcome to get your take on it or anyone else of this board...i Know that planning and pr?paration needs to take place well in advance b4 it actually starts.

Heck man, takes some time to put it together.  The hardest part is planning the tour, where and when to go.  Which countries / continents to hit, during what time of the year.

However, when we play countries like South America, we usually have a few rigs leap frogging throughout the country.  At one point, we had 3 rigs, A, B and C.  B was smaller than A, and C was smaller than B. 

As Jarmo said, each cog has a person responsible for it.  Each cog has a bunch of counterparts in which are needed to function properly. (Managers, Agents, Promoters, Production Managers, Tour Managers, Travel Agents, Security) in a nutshell, order of priority.  I oversee all that is after managers, and each after my position have their own duties to do and accomplish.  Obviously it's a bit more detailed, but for the sake of my limited time I have for the night, it about summons it up.

A world tour usually takes anywhere from 6 - 10 months to properly execute. 

Narcissism has a lot to do with selfishness and deep need for adoration, not giving a fuck for others and promoting themselves at the expense of others often publicly.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 12:56:47 AM »

Heck man, takes some time to put it together.  The hardest part is planning the tour, where and when to go.  Which countries / continents to hit, during what time of the year.

However, when we play countries like South America, we usually have a few rigs leap frogging throughout the country.  At one point, we had 3 rigs, A, B and C.  B was smaller than A, and C was smaller than B. 

As Jarmo said, each cog has a person responsible for it.  Each cog has a bunch of counterparts in which are needed to function properly. (Managers, Agents, Promoters, Production Managers, Tour Managers, Travel Agents, Security) in a nutshell, order of priority.  I oversee all that is after managers, and each after my position have their own duties to do and accomplish.  Obviously it's a bit more detailed, but for the sake of my limited time I have for the night, it about summons it up.

It isn't to hard to plan a tour of Canada

Even do it in the winter again.

Coast to Coast, in nearly sold out arenas....   About 12 shows  Give or take

Simple promotion, mostly radio.....

Seems pretty easy to book too me......
brazil66
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 02:36:53 AM »

Fernando. Thanks for the info and appreciate the Time you have given. Sounds like a headache but Worth it in the end. Enjoy fatherhood.
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 06:13:25 AM »

It amazes me that some of the guys in the band will end a big tour with GNR then go right back on the road in other bands.  I guess that comes with musician being a livelihood, music not selling, and just still having the ability to play that keeps them out there.

I hope GNR get to go to all those places they have a hard time getting to, but if they could pull off India (I imagine that took a lot of work to coordinate), anything's possible.

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:03 AM »

It amazes me that some of the guys in the band will end a big tour with GNR then go right back on the road in other bands.  I guess that comes with musician being a livelihood, music not selling, and just still having the ability to play that keeps them out there.

I hope GNR get to go to all those places they have a hard time getting to, but if they could pull off India (I imagine that took a lot of work to coordinate), anything's possible.

India must have been something.

I remember metallica had to cancel a huge gig there like one day before because there was no security area between the stage and audience.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »

You guys had 8 hrs

Is that Canadian tour booked yet?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »

Haha!

Canada 2010.... That was cool. Literally.

/jarmo

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: