Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 10:42:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  THEORY - axl saving chi dem 2 songs for possible reunion album???
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THEORY - axl saving chi dem 2 songs for possible reunion album???  (Read 49320 times)
ben9785
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2016, 03:40:33 AM »

Of course they could do it. Even if Slash was to only add a guitar solo to a completed song, people would recognise it and embrace it as GNR.

I'd personally prefer to hear the unreleased material in its existing form with Robin etc, but probably unlikely now with such a significant change in the lineup.

Will it really be possible for Axl to continue his vision of new GNR by replacing Slash again?
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2016, 03:47:23 AM »

agreed, slashs presence on cd2 would open peoples minds up to it so much.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
ben9785
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2016, 03:54:45 AM »

That's the thing though - even to an older fan of GNR let alone a casual listener, they won't be concerned with who plays drums or when it was recorded or who wrote the song - when they hear Axl's voice with a Slash solo, that will sound like GNR.

Even to members of forums like this who are more intensive fans of GNR, any new music is going to be new, whether it was recorded in 97 or 07, whether Paul Tobias or Slash plays guitar on it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:57:02 AM by ben85 » Logged
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:08 AM »

my personal reason that I guess many could relate is this:

We were here from the start... watching the "baby" evolve... we're like the impotent uncle, that watches the child grow up... we felt like it was ours... and we wanted the NuGNR to prosper. Its sad to see that the dream is over... and that that elusive prosperous time is now probably for ever gone.

personally, I'd like to hear every bit of recordings by finck and buckethead... since those 2 pervs were the thing that shaped my view of the new band in the first place.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
ben9785
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:18 AM »

Well Finck and Buckethead did shape the new band after all when the band debuted in 2001. I also really hope to hear more of the material that they recorded. I still go back and watch some of the 2002 performances.

Might be a little off topic, apologies.
xxgunsxx
Headliner

« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »

Not in the cards or discussion at this point.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »

I would think that if they are being saved for this lineup, they would wind up being 100% re-recorded (except for vocals that exist possibly). I would not have Duff lay down a second bass track, and you aren't going to make him like the 7th guitar on a track. The other thing is while yes Chinese Democracy is a 'guitar heavy' album, stylistically and tone wise it is a much much different sound than what you will get from Slash... even from a pure 'equipment perspective' Slash's tone doesn't match anything we have heard from the CD Era lineup. Slash has a much creamier bluesy tone, most of his 'crunch' comes from his amp... where the CD lineup (just watch Premier Guitars interviews with Ron, Richard, and DJ) tend to use a lot more effects, and typically (especially on the CD material more than the classic material) have hotter pickups than the Alnico II pickups that Slash has used since his Derrig Les Paul copy back in 1987. This gives the new guys a more biting metal like tone, which works well with the amount of synth that happens in the background with Dizzy and Chris.

The other thing to consider, do you ever want to hear the songs after the album release? If you have songs built primarily off of ideas from Bucket and Robin you are going to get a lot of 'tricks' built into the songs... not sure the reason and or obsession with them, but they each use kill switches on their guitars and use them all of the time. Slash can mimic that sound with  his pickup selector switch, but why? I never understood the point of that sound... The other thing is the 'stunt' solos... Looking at what we think we know about the lineup who would play them live? It isn't Slash's playing style, It really isn't Richards style, and of what I know about Kushner (if he's involved) it really isn't his style... If Bumble had any input or recording time on any tracks (he made it onto CD) than we are definitely going to get his fretless guitar... who does that?

I would think that any new music we get is going to either be completely new, or tweaked by and totally re-recorded by this line up... unless it is released as a 'Thank You' to the old era and packaged/marketed as such.
bjd2944
Headliner

« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »

I'm sure between Axl, Slash, Duff and whoever else might be involved there are ideas, concepts, completed songs, melodies, riffs, lyrics, and all sorts of shit that could be pieced together into some sort of a record in the not too distant future.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »

I would think that if they are being saved for this lineup, they would wind up being 100% re-recorded (except for vocals that exist possibly). I would not have Duff lay down a second bass track, and you aren't going to make him like the 7th guitar on a track. The other thing is while yes Chinese Democracy is a 'guitar heavy' album, stylistically and tone wise it is a much much different sound than what you will get from Slash... even from a pure 'equipment perspective' Slash's tone doesn't match anything we have heard from the CD Era lineup. Slash has a much creamier bluesy tone, most of his 'crunch' comes from his amp... where the CD lineup (just watch Premier Guitars interviews with Ron, Richard, and DJ) tend to use a lot more effects, and typically (especially on the CD material more than the classic material) have hotter pickups than the Alnico II pickups that Slash has used since his Derrig Les Paul copy back in 1987. This gives the new guys a more biting metal like tone, which works well with the amount of synth that happens in the background with Dizzy and Chris.
I see little to no reason on why would Slash's tone not fit into the mix. It would sound different for sure, but I think it would work just fine just like Bumble's more crunchy tone and riffy rhythm worked on Chinese Democracy.

The other thing to consider, do you ever want to hear the songs after the album release? If you have songs built primarily off of ideas from Bucket and Robin you are going to get a lot of 'tricks' built into the songs... not sure the reason and or obsession with them, but they each use kill switches on their guitars and use them all of the time. Slash can mimic that sound with  his pickup selector switch, but why? I never understood the point of that sound...
Robin didn't use killswitch on the record, that's all Bucket. I think it's amazing, but it's just a resource for the sound. What's the difference between using a killswitch and a bottleneck for slide? Both are just resources to add to the regular guitar sound. There's no point to be made.

Also, Slash doesn't need to use the same technique. I'm sure he would use a different approach of his own.

The other thing is the 'stunt' solos... Looking at what we think we know about the lineup who would play them live? It isn't Slash's playing style, It really isn't Richards style, and of what I know about Kushner (if he's involved) it really isn't his style... If Bumble had any input or recording time on any tracks (he made it onto CD) than we are definitely going to get his fretless guitar... who does that?
Again, no need to have the same approach. Slash can use his own style. Also, Richard is actually capable to pull off some shredding if it's needed.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »

I see little to no reason on why would Slash's tone not fit into the mix. It would sound different for sure, but I think it would work just fine just like Bumble's more crunchy tone and riffy rhythm worked on Chinese Democracy.

The other thing to consider, do you ever want to hear the songs after the album release? If you have songs built primarily off of ideas from Bucket and Robin you are going to get a lot of 'tricks' built into the songs... not sure the reason and or obsession with them, but they each use kill switches on their guitars and use them all of the time. Slash can mimic that sound with  his pickup selector switch, but why? I never understood the point of that sound...
Robin didn't use killswitch on the record, that's all Bucket. I think it's amazing, but it's just a resource for the sound. What's the difference between using a killswitch and a bottleneck for slide? Both are just resources to add to the regular guitar sound. There's no point to be made.

Also, Slash doesn't need to use the same technique. I'm sure he would use a different approach of his own.

The other thing is the 'stunt' solos... Looking at what we think we know about the lineup who would play them live? It isn't Slash's playing style, It really isn't Richards style, and of what I know about Kushner (if he's involved) it really isn't his style... If Bumble had any input or recording time on any tracks (he made it onto CD) than we are definitely going to get his fretless guitar... who does that?
Again, no need to have the same approach. Slash can use his own style. Also, Richard is actually capable to pull off some shredding if it's needed.

I agree with absolutely everything you are saying (except for the kill switch thing, still don't get it)... what I am envisioning is having to listen to Robin, Bucket, and Bumble rump swabs complain when Slash does't play it note for note (sound for sound) just like the Slash people did when Robin or DJ took very slight liberties with a Slash solo. The music isn't out, so like a tree in the woods, does it exist if no one hears it.

This has been my argument all along with not releasing or waiting to release CDII because it will eventually cause confusion inside and outside of the rabid fan base. 'We' will complain (not all of us) when a song is left off a setlist because Slash for example just doesn't want to play it, or Rolling Stone will make a crack at the falling dominoes list of players on the album just further pointing out the fractured history of the CD Era.

If the CD Era is truly dead... than bury it.

If this is a one time tour, wait till it is over then start to flood the market with Beatles and TuPac like EP's of material every few years from all generations of the band.

If this is going to be a functioning band why not kick them off with their own material, and sprinkle some existing CD era stuff live. It's not like you are adding quitar players 10 and 11 to the constantly revolving CD Era line up... This is Slash and Duff, and with Slash you are getting a guitar god... sure are some of the CD ear player more technically proficient? Absolutely, but non are more marketable than Slash, so why release an album with potentially the following guitar players: Paul, Bucket, Robin, Richard, Ron, DJ, Slash, (Izzy, Kushner) 

I know everyone says 'why does it matter who's on the record, why does it matter who wrote the songs, pop stars sing other people songs all the time' Do you think no one would notice if Led Zeppelin started touring this year and they turned on the radio and heard the new Led Zeppelin single and heard a 'Buckethead like' solo then found out that Jimmy Page didn't write any of the songs and only layered a guitar track or two over them?

People want Slash... everyone knows who Slash is. Kids who aren't from that era know who he is from Guitar Hero, or Michael Jackson, or the Black Eye'd peas... they watched him on the Super Bowl, the largest US TV audience (by far) every year. Give them what they want. Then give us what we want from the CD2 library at a more appropriate time.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »

I agree with absolutely everything you are saying (except for the kill switch thing, still don't get it)... what I am envisioning is having to listen to Robin, Bucket, and Bumble rump swabs complain when Slash does't play it note for note (sound for sound) just like the Slash people did when Robin or DJ took very slight liberties with a Slash solo. The music isn't out, so like a tree in the woods, does it exist if no one hears it.
I understand now what you said. IMHO, maybe it's different because Slash was the foundation of the original GNR sound and, just like you said, he's more popular, so people will be more likely to accept whatever changes he does. I'm talking about live performances.

About unreleased recordings, you're right. Nobody knows it, so it wouldn't matter.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »

I understand now what you said. IMHO, maybe it's different because Slash was the foundation of the original GNR sound and, just like you said, he's more popular, so people will be more likely to accept whatever changes he does. I'm talking about live performances.

About unreleased recordings, you're right. Nobody knows it, so it wouldn't matter.

The existing live stuff I think gets trimmed to what fits Slash and the really bucket influenced stuff like Shacklers, Scraped, and Sorry probably don't get played much.

I more mean that IMO CD2 is either totally reworked and re-recorded with the reformed lineup, or it is shelved until a more appropriate time... and shelved is probably the wrong word for it. I think today would be as good a time as ever to release it, but I think it should follow some major live appearance, like a Fallon, Colbert, or Kimmel where he thanks the CD era lineup and the fans that stuck with him and GnR then launches it that day on iTunes as a sort of farewell to an era album. Sell it in 2 flavors CD 2 and CD Era deluxe edition with the remixed CD 1 tracks... but really set the expectation  that this is not who you are seeing in April or a Summer Tour etc...

Then let the reformed lineup build their brand with new tracks (if those are on the way)... I think the inclusion of Duff (a former equal and pretty business savvy guy) can give Axl the kick in the ass he needs to not only record new material in a reasonable amount of time, but to 'complete' and release it quickly as well. The 'hired hand' organization of the CD Era didn't really give anyone the 'pull' to give Axl that kick in the ass.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:22:08 PM by C0ma » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2016, 12:32:33 PM »

The existing live stuff I think gets trimmed to what fits Slash and the really bucket influenced stuff like Shacklers, Scraped, and Sorry probably don't get played much.

I more mean that IMO CD2 is either totally reworked and re-recorded with the reformed lineup, or it is shelved until a more appropriate time... and shelved is probably the wrong word for it. I think today would be as good a time as ever to release it, but I think it should follow some major live appearance, like a Fallon, Colbert, or Kimmel where he thanks the CD era lineup and the fans that stuck with him and GnR then launches it that day on iTunes as a sort of farewell to an era album. Sell it in 2 flavors CD 2 and CD Era deluxe edition with the remixed CD 1 tracks... but really set the expectation  that this is not who you are seeing in April or a Summer Tour etc...

Then let the reformed lineup build their brand with new tracks (if those are on the way)... I think the inclusion of Duff (a former equal and pretty business savvy guy) can give Axl the kick in the ass he needs to not only record new material in a reasonable amount of time, but to 'complete' and release it quickly as well. The 'hired hand' organization of the CD Era didn't really give anyone the 'pull' to give Axl that kick in the ass.

Not to butt in, but....I think having Duff on board has other benefits, too.  His business savy will be VERY helpful in dealing with the label, IMHO.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I'd love to hear Slash on Silkworms, both on a recording, and live.  Really think he would absolutely tear it up.  Something along the lines of a "synthier" version of Perfect Crime if Slash got his hands on it.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »

This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I'd love to hear Slash on Silkworms, both on a recording, and live.  Really think he would absolutely tear it up.  Something along the lines of a "synthier" version of Perfect Crime if Slash got his hands on it.

I'd love to hear a finished version of this song - but would have to say that this is the type of song I envision Slash having a line in the sand that he won't cross on...

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »

I'd love to hear a finished version of this song - but would have to say that this is the type of song I envision Slash having a line in the sand that he won't cross on...

Same here.

Its just not the kind of music he makes.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
--DEA--
Rocker

Try it!!

« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »

Haha! Slash add some solo to cd2.. Not in this lifetime. Silkworms will not fit in if they gonna make a new album.. I hope that they will write real rock songs this time. No more Robin style... Thank god!
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2016, 04:10:40 AM »

anybody watch that interview with pittman and the german lady? think its recent?

he mentioned that now is not the time or place to release new music because nobody buys it in reference to tool and gnr. it almost sounded like... definitely not happening for a long time. i could be wrong, but thats what it sounded like to me.

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
raindog
Rocker

« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2016, 07:08:49 AM »

He'd tear it up alright. And throw it in the garbage. Can't see a Slash version of Silkworms happening in a million years. That fan mix version is good though.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »

anybody watch that interview with pittman and the german lady? think its recent?

he mentioned that now is not the time or place to release new music because nobody buys it in reference to tool and gnr. it almost sounded like... definitely not happening for a long time. i could be wrong, but thats what it sounded like to me.
I didn't see it, but I remember reading about it a couple of years ago.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: