Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Adler : Slash & Duff Have Doubts About Me
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adler : Slash & Duff Have Doubts About Me  (Read 34629 times)
Princess Leia
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 04:25:33 AM »

He went on to say: "They don't think I'm cool and they don't think I can play drums that great and they don't think I'm sober. Duff, he has a right, in a way, but, like I said, he forgets where he came from too. But we did do some shows [together] in Japan [in 2013], and Duff invited [Steven's current band] ADLER to come down, and I was still drinking then. And the second I got to the airport, I made a beeline for the bar, and I just started doing shots of J?ger. And the whole trip I was sick and I was just a mess. And, you know, Duff's sober and he's very judgmental and forgetful of where he came from. And he was just so bummed and pissed at me. I mean, the playing part, the shows when we actually were performing, that went all right, but everything else? So I kind of ruined it and gave him the excuse to be able to say, 'Well, he's not cool and he's not that good.' But I stopped doing that. They stopped doing that. Just because they stopped doing it before I did doesn't make them any better. We're all people who have addiction problems. I was just able to get a grip on it later on in life than they did."

Look at those bits in bold.

Now seriously tell me a how a high profile world tour goes.

You best make a back-up agreement with Matt, or Frank, who whoever.  Because you'll probably need them by show #5.

This is not the NFL where you have starters and back ups. So eventually the QB or the LB could get benched if they don`t do the job. If they don`t trust Adler then he shouldn`t be asked to join. Unless... He agrees to have Beta by his side 24/7. But it doesn`t sound right.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 06:05:11 AM »

Wonder if his comments about Duff will make everything between them ok? Is that his plan?

I don't think Steven said anything insanely negative about Duff.  Certainly nothing worse than Axl has said about Slash, but yet people around here seem content to believe they've patched everything up.

He made whatever issues he has with Duff public.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 09:07:54 AM »

Wonder if his comments about Duff will make everything between them ok? Is that his plan?

I don't think Steven said anything insanely negative about Duff.  Certainly nothing worse than Axl has said about Slash, but yet people around here seem content to believe they've patched everything up.

He made whatever issues he has with Duff public.

/jarmo

Exactly.  This guy for whatever reason just can't ever keep his trap shut.  He always makes everything so awkward and weird in his interviews.  It is no wonder nobody has really worked with him professionally since 1990.  Steven just seems to be a real pain in the ass.  He is a like a teenager with no filter that just says every single thing that pops into his brain.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »

If think the only criteria should be if Adler is still capable of playing the songs.
Who gives a shit what he says to the media?

They do, I suspect.  And I don't blame them.

You also don't need the bullshit if you have other options.  Steven is hardly a one of a kind irreplaceable part of the operation.  Wasn't like the UYI tour struggled to move tickets without the legendary Steven Adler.

No one gave a fuck.

And now, if a miracle happens 20 years later and Axl and Slash actually patch it up, people are going to be unmoved to get off the couch if there is no Steven Adler?

That's a hill you die on?

Not arguing that tickets will fly regardless if Steven is there or not. Doesn?t make it any less of a sham.
Guess it?s just hard for me to understand how fans of Guns N? Roses could be so disinterested in a legitimate reunion.

Steven?s dismissal is when things started going bad for Guns creatively.
Sure, the Illusions were a massive success, as were the tours, and Matt put his stamp on those songs.
That doesn?t change the fact that Steven was behind the kit for AFD, Lies, and the creation of the majority of UYI songs.

Guns N? Roses creatively face planted without Steven and Izzy around.

I disagree  as I thought the "Illusions" were their best album, and Steven has very little to do with them.  How many songwriting credits did he have?  I know "AFD" credited all 5 band members with songwriting credits, but in your opinion how much do you think Steven Adler contributed to that?  Yes he sat behind the drum kit, great, how many lyrics or choruses did he write?   If you feel the band took a turn for the worse creatively after Izzy left thats an argument that could be made as he was a main songwriter.  But are you saying GNR "creatively face planted" because  Steven Adler left?  Really?  You don't think that might be more of a timely coincidence? 

Dave Mustaine  wrote most of "Kill Em All" and did way more than "sit behind a drum kit" for some ideas that appeared on later Metallica records.  He gets kicked out and immediately creates a new band that becomes one of the most successful metal bands of all time.  If anyone deserves retroactive credit for what a band did after he left it is him, he actually created the style of music Metallica went on to play.  Steven on the other hand is more of someone who was in the right place at the right time.  That is not to rip on Steven, but he has offered little else to prove otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:39:47 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Princess Leia
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »

Some of the UYI songs were written during the AFD days or even before that album was made. For example Back Off Bitch, Bad Obsession, Don`t Cry, YCBM, NR.

Adler has recorded demos and rehearsals of UYI songs. Don`t Cry and Back Off Bitch were performed live during the club days

UYI songs were not unfamiliar at all for Adler
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

Some of the UYI songs were written during the AFD days or even before that album was made. For example Back Off Bitch, Bad Obsession, Don`t Cry, YCBM, NR.

Adler has recorded demos and rehearsals of UYI songs. Don`t Cry and Back Off Bitch were performed live during the club days

The UYI songs are not unfamiliar to me either, doesn't mean I had anything to do with writing them.  I know he was there but what was he contributing?  That's my question.  By all accounts from books and interviews over the years he was just the drummer playing songs the other guys wrote.

Did he contribute anything more than a session drummer would have?  Once again I'm not trying to hate on Steven but it seems his importance to GNR is overstated from time to time.  I think a reunion of the Illusion line up is a legit reunion.  I don't see it as half assed cause Steven isn't there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:26:40 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Princess Leia
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »

The UYI songs are not unfamiliar to me either, doesn't mean I had anything to do with writing them.  I know he was there but what was he contributing?  That's my question.  By all accounts from books and interviews over the years he was just the drummer playing songs the other guys wrote.

For that matter Sorum didn`t contribute that much either with songwriting. So if your problem is songwriting then I guess you have a problem with Sorum as well.

Adler?s main contribution is in the sound of the AFD songs
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 10:56:04 AM »

For that matter Sorum didn`t contribute that much either with songwriting. So if your problem is songwriting then I guess you have a problem with Sorum as well.

In GN'R, he played drums. He has written songs for other bands though.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »

My honest takeaway from this thread.  Steven Adler will not be involved in a reunion tour whatsoever should it happen.  I could see him doing a one-off (or two-off) show before or after an actual tour.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »

Exactly.  This guy for whatever reason just can't ever keep his trap shut.  He always makes everything so awkward and weird in his interviews.  It is no wonder nobody has really worked with him professionally since 1990.  Steven just seems to be a real pain in the ass.  He is a like a teenager with no filter that just says every single thing that pops into his brain.

Totally agree.

If he's this amazing drummer and such essential personnel, how come he's done fuck all in 25 plus years?

And don't give me whatever bar band he's assembled.  If he's so great, how come no one putting a band together ever looks his way?

But, more important than all of that, Steven is a pain in the ass.  He IS like a god damn child.  Who needs that, if you are the other guys?  A guy still getting shitfaced at airport bars?  This is a guy in control?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:55:05 AM by D-GenerationX » Logged

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »

ahah...well...that's why I like him and I like drummers in general...they speak their minds, no filter, no corporate bullshit.

these guys are friends for so long, I don't see that kind of declaration a source of huge problems...I could be wrong,
but IF a reunion takes place, it would be silly to not include him. more dangerous maybe...but GNR had some reputation
in the past so...if he's ok to tour with the rest of the guys, and not having a bad influence on Duff & Slash at a drug level...
I'm sure he could do the job, and imagine the energy onstage of a guy who waited all these years praying he will play
again in the band...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »

They're not 23 anymore though.  At some point, you do have to grow up a bit.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »

depends if you want to be in a rock n'roll band, or an entertainment one.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »

At this level, its a business.  The 5 starry eyed kids coming to save rock n' roll...that shit has been over for some time.

So anyone that is going to jeopardize the business, you don't need.

19AT5
Opening Act

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »

Adler makes me cringe. He is just so bloody stupid (or appears to be at least!). I find it hard to believe Slash, Axl or Duff wanting to put up with this guy on a tour let along a press conference. I find it more likely they will ask Matt. The one thing that Adler said that I do agree with is that I don't think Gilby will be involved either!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »

And he was fired why?
He was living the sex, drugs and rock n' roll life. so why didn't they want him in the band?

/jarmo

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »

Yeah, and as I've already said, they were rather mild at best.  Axl has made many issues with Slash very public-- including his infamous "cancer" comment.  Yet some people can buy into the fact that Axl and Slash can mend fences despite everything they've said publicly about each other, but you think Steven's (rather tame) comments about Duff are unforgivable?

Ok.

A. Why do you feel the need to bring up Axl? He's got nothing to do with this topic. Your wish to try to steer the topic away from the actual topic has been denied. Different topic altogether.
B. Steven says Duff took him on tour and he let Duff down. Now, do you think this comment is good for their relationship? Duff tried to help out, and this is the thanks he gets? Good? You tell me. I don't know.
C. What does it say about him when he airs his friendship issues in public? Slash doesn't wanna get a coffee with him. Does that say something about Slash, or does it say something about Steven for making it a public thing?
D. No, this has nothing to do with what happened between Axl and Slash.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 04:20:23 PM »

Steven is unstable and can turn on a dime.

Slash is supposed to be his brother from another mother, right?  Didn't stop Steven's tantrum when he asked Matt to appear on something instead of him.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2015, 04:23:11 PM »

Sigh.   no

No it doesn't.  The point was that people on this thread are acting like it's the end of the world that Steven made mild comments about Duff disapproving on his past drinking and such, acting like everything was an unpardonable sin between them of two of them. 

Nobody's saying that. I see people saying that Steven's just doing what he's always done. Talking too much.
And that it might not be helping his case!

That's all people are saying.

Yeah, no need to bring up Axl. Slash has said things about Steven over the years. They've played together since, but he still doesn't wanna go out for coffee...... Allegedly.

/jarmo

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »

I don't have a problem with Sorum or Adler for that matter.  I was responding to the idea that is would be a half assed reunion if Adler wasn't involved.  In fact I can't think of any scenario where Adler WOULD be involved.  I think only Steven and Eddie Trunk think that he has any shot at getting the gig.  Let's be real here.  He is the worst drummer the band ever had by a significant margin and he is a completely unreliable pain in the ass.  You can romanticize the fact that he played on "Appetite" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that he blew his chance and Matt stepped in seemlessy and delivered every night for years. Also just read the stuff he has said about his ex band mates over the years, hard to feel bad or defend this guy. Duffs comments if accurate were spot on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:34:01 PM by Bodhi » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: