Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 151652 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »

They pay NOTHING for the best pitching staff I have seen in forever....

and they simply are not giving themselves the best chance to win around them.

Basically, yeah.  That great pitching staff only got them a .500 record until the trading deadline when they brought the bats in.  Can't win if you don't score.

FanGraphs is projecting them for 84 wins next year.   Sad 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 06:31:14 AM »

And by the time they can afford big contract bats....their pitching staff will all have gone on to FA.

I'm not sure what they have in the farm system left to try to pull off another trade deadline restock this year...maybe enough..  But how long can they operate that way....putting that burden on their pitching staff for 85 to 90 games, and hoping they stay close enough to make a late season run?

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »

And by the time they can afford big contract bats....their pitching staff will all have gone on to FA.

I'm not sure what they have in the farm system left to try to pull off another trade deadline restock this year...maybe enough..  But how long can they operate that way....putting that burden on their pitching staff for 85 to 90 games, and hoping they stay close enough to make a late season run?

Yep...

They have had a strange offseason... you would think they would be all in right now... because they are going to lose at least two of their four horses to FA.

Cuddyer gives them the gift of a life time by walking away... and they use that money to re up Colon and sign Deaza?

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:31 AM »

Reports saying Cespedes could sign three year deal with the Mets with opt out after 1.

That would be ideal for all parties... keeps him motivated to play hard all year.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 11:14:05 PM »

‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1 minute ago
So full Cespedes deal with #Mets, per sources: Three years, $75M, full no-trade clause, opt-out after one year. Pending physical.

@Ken_Rosenthal 4 minutes ago
If Cespedes opts out with #Mets, his one-year salary will be $27.5M, second-highest AAV ever for a position player. @jonheyman first.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:22:07 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 11:19:27 PM »

Well i guess he really did want to stay with the Mets. I think the Mets made the right choice retaining him. Question now is does he opt out next year?
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 12:35:55 AM »

Well i guess he really did want to stay with the Mets. I think the Mets made the right choice retaining him. Question now is does he opt out next year?

The mets hope he opts out ! Means he had a big year.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 12:48:04 AM »

Why would they want that? They likely lose him if he does.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »

Why would they want that? They likely lose him if he does.

If he doesn't opt out.... it means he had a really bad season.... catch 22...the FA position players next year in FA are really weak supposedly.

but I think they would sign up for 35 homers and 100 ribbies and then deal with him leaving....

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

Maybe but him leaving costs them something like 27.5 million.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »

I love the Cespedes signing.  While not quite a superstar player, he's a lightyears upgrade over who they have now and completely changes the dynamic of the lineup.  Basically, it's a 1-year, $27.5M deal.  There's no way he's not opting out because he's sure to get more than just a 2-year deal, as that is all he would have with the Mets at that point. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »

I love the Cespedes signing.  While not quite a superstar player, he's a lightyears upgrade over who they have now and completely changes the dynamic of the lineup.  Basically, it's a 1-year, $27.5M deal.  There's no way he's not opting out because he's sure to get more than just a 2-year deal, as that is all he would have with the Mets at that point. 

Smart move by all involved.

There's no such thing as a bad 1 year deal in today's baseball landscape and that's essentially what this is.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »

Greg Bird out for 2016 for the Yanks. Shoulder surgery (torn labrum).

He was going to start in AAA anyway, and wait on the almost inevitable injury call up....so it doesn't hurt them much out of the shoot.  But it SURE makes them a lot thinner at 1b, organizationally, this season.

Of course, Tex will play 100 games and put up monster numbers this year, because.....it's his walk year.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 06:54:10 PM »

Booked two baseball trips this year.   Toronto for 8 games!! Over 2 weeks in July.   With my two kids.  It will be there first ball games

Denver for 3 jays games.   June.   Solo trip.  Being bad trip haha
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 06:52:49 PM »

Meija for the Mets is gone forever. First ever lifetime ban for PED use. Fucking moron.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:55:57 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »

Meija for the Mets is gone forever. First ever lifetime ban for PED use. Fucking moron.

Beyond idiotic.  I never thought a lifetime ban would ever happen with anyone, but I guess ya gotta believe.   
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 09:52:20 PM »

Beyond idiotic.  I never thought a lifetime ban would ever happen with anyone, but I guess ya gotta believe.   

"It marked his third positive PED test in the past year, triggering the lifetime expulsion."

Third time in the past year?  Wonder what kind of help MLB or the players union or the Mets offered him after his first and second offenses?  I understand that not everyone accepts help when offered but I hope they at least tried.

Very sad.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2016, 12:17:07 AM »

And other leagues around the world uphold the ban. So his career is effectively over.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2016, 12:18:02 AM »

"It marked his third positive PED test in the past year, triggering the lifetime expulsion."

Third time in the past year?  Wonder what kind of help MLB or the players union or the Mets offered him after his first and second offenses?  I understand that not everyone accepts help when offered but I hope they at least tried.

Very sad.

Yep, either he is one big dumbass or has a serious problem.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »

Maybe I'm being ignorant about this, but I never viewed steroid usage as a personal problem or addiction like narcotics or alcohol abuse.  As far as I know, steroids are not addictive.  To me it's just someone taking a shortcut to get an unfair advantage over his competitors.  That's not something I would expect anyone to get any sympathy or help for. 

I suspect he placed his trust in the wrong people, who were promising him up and down that 'this stuff is undetectable'. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: