Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 151697 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »

Yesterday was a bad day for Jose Reyes.

He will get hammered....

If he's found guilty, I expect close to a full season.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »

Just saw the Cards extended 2B Kolten Wong for 5 years at $25.5 mil buying out all of his arbitration years and 1 year of FA.

A good deal for all, for now at least.  Smiley

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »

Chapman suspended 30 games under MLB's new domestic violence policy.

It'll be interesting to see how the inevitable appeal goes.  This one is interesting for a few reasons (it's the first real test of the policy, for starters).  Given there is no law enforcement action being taken, the basis for this one is the one that's going to be the most solid basis for an appeal. 

IF there is evidence we haven't heard that something untoward happened, he deserves every game (and maybe more). 

I also think, even if there's not, this is good move (and a good policy, actually) for MLB. It will let them test the limits of their own policy, early on, with a somewhat questionable case.

I'm not so sure the MLBPA will feel the same way, though. We'll see.

Edit: Well, never mind. He's decided not to appeal.  Fair enough.  Guess we'll have to wait for another case to test the policy.

I'm guessing the 30 days was just for firing his gun in his house, which he's admitted to, so maybe that's why he's not appealing. 
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2016, 05:14:33 PM »

Yanks? Chapman Sorry ?For Use Of The Gun,? Says He?ll Be Ready May 9
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/03/02/yankees-aroldis-chapman-suspension-spring-training/

TAMPA, Fla. (CBSNewYork) ? Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman claims he has learned his lesson.

On Wednesday, a day after being suspended for 30 games by MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred for his role in a domestic violence incident last October involving his girlfriend, the hard-throwing left-hander accepted responsibility for his actions and explained why he changed his mind about appealing the ban.

?Yes, this is definitely something I wanted to put behind me, and I want to move on, help this team win,? Chapman told WFAN?s Sweeny Murti and other media members through translator Marlon Abreu. ?We?re trying to win a championship here and I think this is the best thing for me, for my teammates and my family.?

Under the discipline announced Tuesday, Chapman will serve the penalty from the start of the season in April. He will lose 30 days of pay ? $1,856,557 of his $11,325,000 salary ? and 30 days of major league service, which will allow him to reach six years of service time after this season, enough to become eligible for free agency.

Chapman said he was advised by his lawyer to accept the suspension, but said ultimately it was his decision to do so. He also admitted that by dragging out the appeal process he could have hurt himself in the eyes of the Yankees or other clubs in free agency.

?I want to take this opportunity ? I want this to be clear ? I?m apologizing because of the use of the gun. It was bad judgment on my part,? Chapman said, adding, ?but I also want to say that I never hurt my girlfriend. And I want this to be very clear: I?m taking this punishment because of my bad judgment, something that I definitely want to put behind me and move on.?

Chapman said he no longer owns a gun and will continue to work to prove to the Yankees that he can be trusted both on the field and off.

?I think that this is something that is going to help me mature, not only for me but also (so) my teammates can look at this and learn from this,? Chapman said.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he hates to lose his closer for so long, but was complimentary of the job MLB has done to put a policy in place that holds players accountable for their actions.

?Domestic violence is not acceptable, so, to me, that is extremely important. We know it?s a sensitive subject and Aroldis now knows,? Girardi said. ?And sometimes the worst thing is not knowing, waiting to know, and he knows what he needs to do.?

Chapman said not being able to play for 30 games ?will be a mental challenge,? but added he feels ?physically strong and mentally strong.? He also thanked the Yankees for standing behind him.

?My job will be to work really hard and wait for May 9, so I can join my team,? Chapman said. ?On the other hand, my team has given me so much support it has actually helped me to build a good relationship with my teammates.?

When Chapman returns, the Yankees will have arguably the best back end of the bullpen in baseball. Along with Dellin Betances and Andrew Miller, the Bombers will feature three power arms capable of shortening games dramatically and thus making up for the club?s apparent question marks in its starting rotation.

According to WFAN?s Murti, Miller is expected to start the season as the closer. The veteran left said the Yankees will be fine regardless of the order of the relievers.

?Dellin can pitch in the fifth inning to the ninth inning. I?d like to say the same thing about myself,? Miller said. ?More of what we know is flexibility. More of what we know is being ready for multiple innings or a particular hitter or three days in a row, whatever it is. It?s what we?re used to.

?We just have to go out there and do our job,? Miller added.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »

Chapman suspended 30 games under MLB's new domestic violence policy.

It'll be interesting to see how the inevitable appeal goes.  This one is interesting for a few reasons (it's the first real test of the policy, for starters).  Given there is no law enforcement action being taken, the basis for this one is the one that's going to be the most solid basis for an appeal. 

IF there is evidence we haven't heard that something untoward happened, he deserves every game (and maybe more). 

I also think, even if there's not, this is good move (and a good policy, actually) for MLB. It will let them test the limits of their own policy, early on, with a somewhat questionable case.

I'm not so sure the MLBPA will feel the same way, though. We'll see.

Edit: Well, never mind. He's decided not to appeal.  Fair enough.  Guess we'll have to wait for another case to test the policy.

I'm guessing the 30 days was just for firing his gun in his house, which he's admitted to, so maybe that's why he's not appealing. 

Yup, that's what he's saying.  Which is fair enough!  He says part of the reason he didn't appeal is that a longer suspension would have potentially effected his free agency clock.  Better to take the 30 games and 2 million now, over costing himself a LOT more in FA.

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2016, 06:21:05 PM »

Jays have looked really good on pre season so far
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2016, 10:25:06 AM »

Anybody see that story how Bonds beat Giancarlo in a home run derby the other day at spring training?

Made me chuckle for sure.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2016, 07:31:29 PM »

Just heard about Joe Garagiola's passing today, what a great life he led.

Founded BAT, helping players who'd fallen on hard times.

Longtime advocate of Native Americans.

Outspoken activist against smokeless tobacco.

Hosted both the Tonight Show and Today Show along with the "Game of the Week" on NBC with Tony Kubek.

Childhood friend of Yogi Berra, both growing up on The Hill in StL.

My dad had the pleasure of spending some time Joe when Dad was a young player in the Phillies organization and also later in life at Stan and Biggies Restaurant in StL, RIP Joe.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2016, 08:47:57 PM »

So A-Rod is calling it quits after next season. Great player but made way too many bad decisions in his career. I'm curious to see how much closer to Bonds he will get with his home run totals. i can't see him getting another 76.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 12:33:22 PM »

So A-Rod is calling it quits after next season. Great player but made way too many bad decisions in his career. I'm curious to see how much closer to Bonds he will get with his home run totals. i can't see him getting another 76.

Yeah, but...if he hits 30 the next 2 (I'd be surprised at this)....I bet he comes back for the 3rd to take a run.  He's even softened his retirement comments later yesterday, and I'm thinking thats why.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »

Yeah, but...if he hits 30 the next 2 (I'd be surprised at this)....I bet he comes back for the 3rd to take a run.  He's even softened his retirement comments later yesterday, and I'm thinking thats why.
That's going to be an awkward HR chase. Then again, they all are these days.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »

That's going to be an awkward HR chase. Then again, they all are these days.

I suspect that when his Yankee contract expires, the league will blacklist him the way they did with Bonds, so he wouldn't be able to continue playing and challenge the record.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »

Personally i don't see him putting up those kinds of numbers again for the next two seasons to get reasonably close.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2016, 06:44:09 AM »

I suspect that when his Yankee contract expires, the league will blacklist him the way they did with Bonds, so he wouldn't be able to continue playing and challenge the record.

I think you'd be surprised. Especially now that he's begun "rehabilitating" his reputation.

I'm relatively sure that, given the right price, someone would sign him, ASSUMING he'd been a 25-30 HR guy the past 2 years and was still productive (which really the only way he's looking for a contract in 2 years). Miami, in particular, would probably be interested.  The Yankees might give him one more year at 5 to 8 million per, too. The Giants gave Barry 2007 almost entirely because, tainted or not, they wanted to reap the rewards of him breaking the record.  IF this was still Aaron's record, I think there would be more likelihood.  But....with Bonds holding it....who cares(meaning...in the league front offices) if another PED user supplants him ? 

Bonds was also a slightly different animal.  He was embroiled in an actual court/criminal proceedings that could (and eventually did..though only with 30 days of house arrest) end up with jail time. He also had NOT admitted to (really), nor had he been punished for his PED use.  In addition, Bonds was FLATLY against playing the DH spot for an AL team. And finally, according to later reports, he was uninterested in anything less than a 15 to 18 million per deal. Supposedly, those were the parameters laid out to the league when he hit free agency.

I'm not sure if all those factors are in play with Arod.  Maybe. Well, likely not the legal issues.  I also think this conversation is a moot point if he's 30+ HR's from the record going into the 2018 season or if his 2017 season SUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKS (.225 and 18 HRs).  I think BOTH of those scenarios are far more likely than him being within spitting distance of the big milestone.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:27:10 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2016, 07:25:39 AM »

Personally i don't see him putting up those kinds of numbers again for the next two seasons to get reasonably close.

To be honest, neither do I. But it's possible. And now, apparently, he's giving himself an out, just in case.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »

I think he will be such a star on FOX... that all of his sins will be forgiven.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2016, 07:21:13 AM »

Interesting factoid: The Mariners waived Jesus Montero, and he's about to be claimed by the Jays.

This is interesting ENTIRELY because Montero is the guy that the Yanks traded to Seattle to get Pineada.

While Pinaeda has had injury issues....when he's been on the mound, he has been a pretty decent #3/4 starter. 

Montero, on the other hand, has been pretty much an abject failure.

Safe to say that, when looking back, the Yanks "won" this trade.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2016, 08:27:51 AM »

Interesting factoid: The Mariners waived Jesus Montero, and he's about to be claimed by the Jays.

This is interesting ENTIRELY because Montero is the guy that the Yanks traded to Seattle to get Pineada.

While Pinaeda has had injury issues....when he's been on the mound, he has been a pretty decent #3/4 starter. 

I hope Toronto has enough fast food joints to keep Jesus full.  Grin

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »

In hindsight that turned out to be an awful trade for the M's.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »

In hindsight that turned out to be an awful trade for the M's.

Yup!  I honestly think Pineada and Severino are the foundation of this rotation going forward.  But we'll see what this year brings.

I think the Yanks have upgraded their defense AND offense this season, to the point they're relatively decent.

It's their starting pitching, it's durability, AND it's ability to actually give them innings game to game (IE: not burn out the bull pen) that I worry about.

And the fact the Red Sox look to be the best team in the AL, on paper, IMHO.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: