Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:45:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227757 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 152353 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2016, 08:49:48 AM »

Interesting factoid: The Mariners waived Jesus Montero, and he's about to be claimed by the Jays.

This is interesting ENTIRELY because Montero is the guy that the Yanks traded to Seattle to get Pineada.

While Pinaeda has had injury issues....when he's been on the mound, he has been a pretty decent #3/4 starter. 

Montero, on the other hand, has been pretty much an abject failure.

Safe to say that, when looking back, the Yanks "won" this trade.
In hindsight that turned out to be an awful trade for the M's.

Yup!  I honestly think Pineada and Severino are the foundation of this rotation going forward.  But we'll see what this year brings.

I think the Yanks have upgraded their defense AND offense this season, to the point they're relatively decent.

It's their starting pitching, it's durability, AND it's ability to actually give them innings game to game (IE: not burn out the bull pen) that I worry about.

And the fact the Red Sox look to be the best team in the AL, on paper, IMHO.

Really? I don't think the Red Sox pitching is very good...after Price obviously.

Betts and Xander are legit studs doe. The East is wide open anybody but Tampa could take it down.

I like the Yanks going in to the season. I think Castro was a steal and I think our rotation is better than what people think.

They obviously don't have to go too deep in games either...

Ellsbury, Teixeira and Beltran.... they gotta produce....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:57:31 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2016, 10:38:07 AM »

Interesting factoid: The Mariners waived Jesus Montero, and he's about to be claimed by the Jays.

This is interesting ENTIRELY because Montero is the guy that the Yanks traded to Seattle to get Pineada.

While Pinaeda has had injury issues....when he's been on the mound, he has been a pretty decent #3/4 starter. 

Yup!  I honestly think Pineada and Severino are the foundation of this rotation going forward.  But we'll see what this year brings.

I think the Yanks have upgraded their defense AND offense this season, to the point they're relatively decent.

It's their starting pitching, it's durability, AND it's ability to actually give them innings game to game (IE: not burn out the bull pen) that I worry about.

And the fact the Red Sox look to be the best team in the AL, on paper, IMHO.

Really? I don't think the Red Sox pitching is very good...after Price obviously.

Betts and Xander are legit studs doe. The East is wide open anybody but Tampa could take it down.

I like the Yanks going in to the season. I think Castro was a steal and I think our rotation is better than what people think.

They obviously don't have to go too deep in games either...

Ellsbury, Teixeira and Beltran.... they gotta produce....
The Red Sox COULD be good this year, but I had much higher expectations for them a few months ago. Now I think it's quite likely they'll be closer to last than first. They haven't had the greatest spring. E-Rod has the potential to be a top of the rotation guy but he got hurt early on and will start the season on the DL. Carson Smith was supposed to be the main setup guy to Kimbrel and he's out at least a month. Sandoval looks like he'll start the season as a bench player. Rusney Castillo has failed to prove he can play in the majors and lost the LF job to Brock Holt.

And yes, their starting pitching has big time question marks behind Price. Buchholz has been consistent as far as injuries go, not performance. Porcello has been bad this spring, was bad last year. Not sure you can rely on him to bounce back based on that track record. Joe Kelly finished last season strong and has had a good spring, but he's far from a proven commodity.

Hanley has actually looked decent at 1B so far, which is a pleasant surprise. I don't have great hopes for the Red Sox for David Ortiz's swan song. I think Toronto and the Yankees are most likely better than them, maybe even Tampa. The Rays always seem to have strong pitching to keep them afloat. The Orioles offense should be good, but their pitching could actually be worse than the Sox. I suspect those two teams will battle it out for last place. I hope I'm wrong of course. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the Sox get off to a slow start and Farrell loses his job. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2016, 02:39:13 PM »

Jays will win the American league this year, with a close race with KC.   They will win the East by 8 games.  They are that much better than the rest. 

The Jays at this years trade deadline will rent another starter, back up catcher and power left hitter.

The Jays are lucky enough to have a bunch of high end talent, with expiring contracts that will want to do everything they can to have career years.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »

Jays will win the American league this year, with a close race with KC.   They will win the East by 8 games.  They are that much better than the rest. 

The Jays at this years trade deadline will rent another starter, back up catcher and power left hitter.

The Jays are lucky enough to have a bunch of high end talent, with expiring contracts that will want to do everything they can to have career years.

How many beers you have today Bacon? lol

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »

hahaha, no drinking midweek any more.   Only weekends and vacation....   

The jays success this year.  Is the straight up sober truth
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2016, 07:00:23 PM »

hahaha, no drinking midweek any more.   Only weekends and vacation....   

The jays success this year.  Is the straight up sober truth

For the record, Jeff Passan agrees with you.

He has the Jays first, the o's last, and zero confidence in his picks. Says the division will prolly come diwn to who can stsy healthy the longest. Says any team in the division can win, given winning the "health" lottery.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »

I had that trade nailed as a Yanks steal the day it happened.

I clipped this from a poster on Cards Talk, kinda sums up my feeling about the deal as well:

"The Yankees got Pineda, a potential ace pitcher, and Jose Campos, who's like Pineda except three years younger (20)."

The Mariners, on the other hand, got an overrated catching prospect (Montero) and some no-name pitcher with serious control issues. ."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »

The Pineda-Montero trade definitely looked like a steal for the Yankees on day one, but when Pineda suffered a serious shoulder injury, it seemed like it might have turned out to become a case of garbage in, garbage out.  But now that he's recovered well, there's no doubt Yankees have come out way ahead, even if he's only back-end quality from here on out, though I expect he'll be better than that. 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2016, 10:59:06 AM »

The Pineda-Montero trade definitely looked like a steal for the Yankees on day one, but when Pineda suffered a serious shoulder injury, it seemed like it might have turned out to become a case of garbage in, garbage out.  But now that he's recovered well, there's no doubt Yankees have come out way ahead, even if he's only back-end quality from here on out, though I expect he'll be better than that. 

I think Pineda is what he is now. I don't think he takes the next step to being a consistent front line starter... but nonetheless...it was still a steal of a trade.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »

Watching jays Boston from Montreal right now.   Montreal really needs to get a team back and be in the American League

In the states do u guys have this 4k TV?   They are just starting to broadcast the games up here in it.  Seeing if it is worth it to upgrade
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2016, 12:38:58 AM »

We have it but very little content for it. I believe directv has 4k stuff available.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2016, 01:47:31 AM »

Tough break for A.J. Pollock last night, literally. Breaking his forearm after finishing up a slide into home the weekend before the opener. Brutal. It wasn't even a collision or anything, just crazy unfortunate luck. Local kid from around me in Hebron, CT too. Had a nice breakout season last year. Too bad. Hope he can make it back this season.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2016, 03:08:25 AM »

Any word on how long he'll be out exactly? Tough break you hate to see stuff like that.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »

Jays opening day today!!!   Let's go Jays!!  Let's go Baby!!
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2016, 01:55:41 PM »

Good to see the Royals pick up right where they left off by beating the Mets once again.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »

Any word on how long he'll be out exactly? Tough break you hate to see stuff like that.
Pollock said he hopes to play this season, so it'll be awhile and could be the entire year. Tough blow.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2016, 10:20:49 PM »

This new slide rule is so brutal. 

Jays should of won this game.   Total joke

Total joke of a new rule
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »

Stupid and a total joke of a way to lose a game!   

Total bs
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2016, 11:46:24 PM »

This new slide rule is so brutal. 

Jays should of won this game.   Total joke

Total joke of a new rule

He would've been called out new rule or not, the left hand going for the foot was a no no regardless.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2016, 02:34:19 AM »

Pollock said he hopes to play this season, so it'll be awhile and could be the entire year. Tough blow.
That's rough.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: