Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227795 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 152744 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2016, 02:35:24 AM »

Good to see the Royals pick up right where they left off by beating the Mets once again.
Not surprising at all. That team is going to be ridiculously good the next several years.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2016, 07:19:50 AM »

This new slide rule is so brutal. 

Jays should of won this game.   Total joke

Total joke of a new rule

He would've been called out new rule or not, the left hand going for the foot was a no no regardless.

Yup.

This isn't the new part of the rule.  If you reach out with your arm to impede the play, you were always going to be called out. And he CLEARLY reached (that wasn't part of his normal sliding motion) to grab the ankle.

And then the 2nd half of the DP becomes "umpire discretion".  I'm assuming, after review, they think the grab effected the throw enough to break up the play.

The new rule is about being in proximity to the bag, or purposefully oversliding the bag, to break up the play. 

It sucks to lose that way...I'm not sure the throw is on line even if JB doesn't reach out and touch someone.  But JB has to know that he can't get away with that, too.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2016, 07:30:38 AM »

The baseline play, yesterday, for the Yanks was likewise brutal. I don't even care about the outcome of the game.  It's the play itself that bugs me.

I don't think the umps got the call wrong, per se, but I likewise don't think enforcement matches the intent of the rule. The runner was CLEARLY out of the base path. He was CLEARLY doing it to impede the throw and prevent the play. It's a clear cut case of interference, if not by rule, by intent.

The rule says that the runner's position has to impede the 1st baseman's catch...and the ump ruled that the throw was so bad, the 1st baseman had no shot to catch the ball...ignoring the fact the throw was bad because the runner was blocking the base line. But I get the umps interpretation. Its a poorly worded rule.

I said, live, Nova should have just drilled the guy in the numbers with a 85 to 90 mph fb to Tex.  Likely the runner would have been called out for interference, and the runner would have learned not to try that again.  Girardi addressed it after the game and expressed that he would really rather not have his players do it, but you could hear the implication that he's going to have a talk with his pitchers and, barring MLB issuing a clarification of the rule's language, that's what's going to happen.  And I say...good.  In this case, that would be the game policing itself the RIGHT way (though I know the league has been down on that concept, of late).

I'm not normally a guy who supports hitting a player.  But in that case, you don't have a choice. I learned that fielding my position in little league and on up.  If the runner is going to be outside the base lines, and trying to impede a defensive play, they are taking the risk and should know what's coming: That there is a risk of injury and getting hit when doing that.

Together again,
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2016, 08:18:07 AM »

Good to see the Royals pick up right where they left off by beating the Mets once again.
Not surprising at all. That team is going to be ridiculously good the next several years.

I will say that I like the more underrated teams, smaller market teams rising to the level of the bigger market teams and dominating them. Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »

Was nice to see the Mets help the Royals celebrate their World Series ring ceremony by shutting them out.  Syndergaard was incredible, 9 Ks in 6 innings against the league's best contact hitting team, I'm expecting a monster season from him this year.  Nice 1-2-3 ninth by Familia to close out the win, where the F was that last October?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »

Total joke of a new rule

He would've been called out new rule or not, the left hand going for the foot was a no no regardless.

Yup.

This isn't the new part of the rule.  If you reach out with your arm to impede the play, you were always going to be called out. And he CLEARLY reached (that wasn't part of his normal sliding motion) to grab the ankle.

And then the 2nd half of the DP becomes "umpire discretion".  I'm assuming, after review, they think the grab effected the throw enough to break up the play.

The new rule is about being in proximity to the bag, or purposefully oversliding the bag, to break up the play. 

It sucks to lose that way...I'm not sure the throw is on line even if JB doesn't reach out and touch someone.  But JB has to know that he can't get away with that, too.

I don't think they were going to turn the DP. Completely unnecessary by Bautista. Got caught up in the moment I guess, but a stupid mistake regardless. Cost his team the game pretty much. I hate breaking a game down to one singular play, but it certainly sealed their fate.

Red Sox looked great yesterday with Price on the mound. Now the hard part, as we see how they look with starter's 2-5 going. Plus, they started last season 5-2 and the rotation looked great the first time around. So they need to do a lot more for a lot longer to make me a true believer.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2016, 09:45:50 AM »

Total joke of a new rule

Yup.

I don't think they were going to turn the DP. Completely unnecessary by Bautista. Got caught up in the moment I guess, but a stupid mistake regardless. Cost his team the game pretty much. I hate breaking a game down to one singular play, but it certainly sealed their fate.

Red Sox looked great yesterday with Price on the mound. Now the hard part, as we see how they look with starter's 2-5 going. Plus, they started last season 5-2 and the rotation looked great the first time around. So they need to do a lot more for a lot longer to make me a true believer.

Batista was out.  Nobody is arguing that

You are still allowed to break up a double play as well....   You are not allowed to hurt anyone or raise your arms on a slide...

There was no way that double play would of been made regardless of any of Batistas actions..   Then they call the play?!?!?!

I tell you the umps are out to screw the Jays!!!!!!!!!!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »

Total joke of a new rule

Yup.

You are still allowed to break up a double play as well....   You are not allowed to hurt anyone or raise your arms on a slide...

There was no way that double play would of been made regardless of any of Batistas actions..   Then they call the play?!?!?!

Yeah, but you're not allowed to reach out and grab the guys ankle, impeding his ability to throw the ball to first. Bautista was in the wrong, there's really no debating that. The only question I'd have is if that action prevented the DP from being turned. I'm not so sure. My gut tells me he would've beaten the throw if it was a clean slide, but the umps obviously felt otherwise. If the Jays miss out on the playoffs by one game we'll certainly look back to this one. I think they'll be fine though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:36 AM »

Total joke of a new rule

Yup.

Nope. JB screwed them.

If he DOESN'T reach out and try to put the guy in the ankle lock..and they don't make the double play, Jays win.

It was a dumb mistake.  If he doesn't grab the guy by the ankle, there's no review, either way.  On this one, blame JB.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:35:34 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2016, 09:09:18 AM »

Home opener today for the Jays!!! 

Against those evil, ace pitcher thiefs!!!   The Red Sox bums!!!!!

Go Jays!!!!!!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »

Home opener today for the Jays!!! 

Against those evil, ace pitcher thiefs!!!   The Red Sox bums!!!!!

Go Jays!!!!!!
Looked good for the Sox in the first 3 and a half innings. Too bad they had to play that bottom of the 4th. 4 straight singles, plunk a guy in the head, give up a grand slam. Not a recipe for success there.

When does Price pitch again? Good thing they're giving him an extra days rest. You might want to rethink that Farrell

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »

Jays should trade Jose Batista. 
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »

Score one for the good guys last night Bacon!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »

Those evil Yankee bums will get it good tonight!!!!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »

It was a good game last night!

Yanks are going to have to find a way to make their starters more efficient, though.  They can't throw 100 pitches in 5 innings every night.  The bullpen will be worn out by June (again).  And they don't have the depth in Scranton this year to play musical relief pitchers.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »

Yanks are going to have to find a way to make their starters more efficient, though.  They can't throw 100 pitches in 5 innings every night.  The bullpen will be worn out by June (again).  And they don't have the depth in Scranton this year to play musical relief pitchers.

Agreed. Girardi is going to be very quick to go out there every night too. (can't blame him with what is out there) Hopefully he paces them properly.

I think the rotation will be OK.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2016, 06:09:02 PM »

Tanaka and Pinaeda will have to be better then they have to start. Severino needs to be good as well.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »

Agreed. Girardi is going to be very quick to go out there every night too. (can't blame him with what is out there) Hopefully he paces them properly.

I think the rotation will be OK.
Yanks rotation still has a ways to go to catch the Red Sox in futility. Both teams bringing up the rear in starters ERA. Yanks around 6, Sox near 7.5. Some ugly numbers. It's early, but they're still ugly.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:50:30 PM by faldor » Logged

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2016, 09:55:30 PM »

Now that's more like it!   

Happ hasn't looked like a bum yet this year.  Very good

Go jays!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2016, 11:52:13 PM »

You got us tonight. It was a good game until Nova came in and shat the bed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: