Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 151672 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2016, 04:43:37 PM »

How can the Jays, last years best hitting team, stink so bad this year!  How can so many proven guys be having career lows all at once?   Horse shit!!   

I think a few major trades are needed     
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »

How can the Jays, last years best hitting team, stink so bad this year!  How can so many proven guys be having career lows all at once?   Horse shit!!   

It's still early. Not time to panic just yet. They've obviously underachieved, or taken a step back. But I think their offense is too good to stay quiet for much longer. At least I hope Encarnacion gets it going for my fantasy team. He has not been of much help to me, especially the last two weeks.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #162 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »

At least you're better than the Yankees.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »

The bats came alive last night for the good guys!

EE 6 RBIs   Yeah baby!

JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2016, 04:04:02 PM »

Chapman back tonight.

Looking forward to seeing him pitch.

It is such a waste of a bullpen.

I threw my hands up in disgust when the Yankees swapped out Robertson for Miller... but it's almost impossible to be a better free agent signing than Miller was.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »

Strasberg signing extension with nats. Think 7 year, 210-ish million, but mght be as big as 10 year, 280-ish. Opt out included.

Presser tomorrow.

Edit: Contract looks to be 7-175, but I'm hearing that with bonuses it's more like 7-200.

2 opt out points: One at 3 year, one at 4 year.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:26:18 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »

Strasberg signing extension with nats. Think 7 year, 210-ish million, but mght be as big as 10 year, 280-ish. Opt out included.

Presser tomorrow.

Edit: Contract looks to be 7-175, but I'm hearing that with bonuses it's more like 7-200.

2 opt out points: One at 3 year, one at 4 year.

If only I had been born with a golden pitching arm ... instead of being born so damn handsome...  Smiley

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2016, 01:43:48 AM »

So that little boy Maverick got to go to a game at Fenway and meet Ortiz and the rest of the team. He got to throw out the first pitch, sit front row next to the Red Sox dugout and have the best day of his life. Truly a great story for a kid who's dealt with so much in his 6 short years. Just awesome to see. He has another surgery scheduled in a few weeks. Hope he stays strong, and Big Papi and the Red Sox can continue to be a positive distraction for him. I know there are stories similar to this with other teams and players. So it's less about Ortiz and more about how important it is in life to have passions that drive you and get you through the tough times. Make sure you have some Kleenex ready before viewing the video.

https://t.co/hAgk8JsNZq

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/177508812/david-ortiz-reunites-with-maverick-schutte

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2016, 07:21:08 PM »

Holy smoke, Odor lit Joey Bats the fuck up. Shocked

https://twitter.com/barstooltweets/status/731973985102114816

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/15/video-jose-bautista-slides-late-into-rougned-odor-sparking-benches-to-empty/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »

Texas are a bunch of stiffs

So you wait till Joey bats last at bat for the year.  Then you use a 30 year old rookie that just got out of jail that he was in for 3 years!    You use him to hit probably the best home run hitter if not even the best right fielder of the past 6 years  

Then you punch him!    

I thought Texas was tough.  

You punch the guy full force.  As he was walking into into it.  On the chin!    And he barely moves.   That's because you punch like a Sally.    Like a girl!

The best though was when the jays actually came out and tuned up the punk.   Pilar and Donaldson did very good.

But again the jays relief pitchers actually don't relief anything!  

Cecile on dl for 15.  Hopefully he can talk with fat loop and perhaps run into delabar at the unemployment line.

Bums.  

Glad I wasn't in Texas for this game today.   As I would of probably of been shot
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »

Texas are a bunch of stiffs

So you wait till Joey bats last at bat for the year...

Then you punch him!    

I thought Texas was tough.  

You punch the guy full force.  As he was walking into into it.  On the chin!    And he barely moves.   That's because you punch like a Sally.    Like a girl!

Bat's was gonna wear one at some point, that was a given.

I actually thought waiting to last game of the season was brilliant on Texas's part, let him wonder all year "is this when?".

Should've been over and done with then, the slide threw gas on the fire (I hate the slide rule by the way) and Odor did his thing.

Gotta give it up to Bats for not going down, that punch was right on the money.

Oh well, boys will be boys - nothin' like a lil fun at the old ballpark.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2016, 08:56:38 AM »

I actually thought waiting to last game of the season was brilliant on Texas's part, let him wonder all year "is this when?".

Should've been over and done with then, the slide threw gas on the fire (I hate the slide rule by the way) and Odor did his thing.

I agree, 100%, Falcom.  You knew he was going to wear one, and I think the Rangers waited to exactly when they should have.  Granted, maybe with the game so close, you can question it. But this was obviously planned.  And I think it makes sense, given when "the flip" occurred, too.  It really didn't give the Rangers an opportunity to retaliate, at the point it happened, either. Right?  Turn about is fair play, I say.

Lets face it: Bautista's slide was dirty. And Bacon, you can argue til you're blue in the face on that, but it was late, and there was intent. Odor was lucky to get his leg out of the way or face serious injury.  And, honestly, I don't even mind the slide that much...but it wasn't a hard baseball play being done to save an out.  It was Joey Bats having a tantrum and retaliating for being hit, rather than taking his lump, moving on, and letting the league deal with it. It was what it was.

AND, if Joey Bats gets up, glares at Odor, aand walks back to the dugout....he doesn't get his jaw jacked, either.  But he had to mouth off, get in the guys face, and say his piece, before walking back (that sure looks like letting baseball plays decide things, eh?). That's ENTIRELY the point to all this: Bautista can't just play ball "old school".  He has to try to look "big time" while doing it. He wants to show people up.  And, again...that's fine.  I generally have no problem with it. BUT, there is a whole "old school" crowd that does take issue with it (and it's not a small group)...and you have to know you're gonna take some lumps if that's the way you want to play the game.  Take them, and move on.

Also if you think Bautista took that punch and didn't wobble, you need to watch the play again a few times.  Those knees buckled, and only sheer force of will kept him upright. THAT was impressive, but lets not make it out to be a "sissy punch". No way.   If Odor had wanted to, and followed up, Bautista's head would have been knocked off.  In MMA, the ref would have stopped the freaking fight with another punch or two.  No question who got the better end of that exchange.

I don't think Bautista got anything more than he should have been expecting, both times.  He ran into an old school team, with old school attitudes, which should come as no surprise when dealing with a team who's attitude was largely shaped by Nolan Ryan.

There will be suspensions all around, but the funny part is....Odor will take the burnt for the Rangers, and Edsel (the pitcher..I'm probably butchering his name) will get some games, too.  The Jays are going to lose half their team to this one, including their manager for a game or two.  The suspensions might be relatively short (1 to 3 games), but they're all going to be served at the same time.   You could literally lose 30 to 40% of your lineup for awhile.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »

I HATE the excessive bat flip or the excessive fist pumping and all that ... (even in a playoff game with emotion running high) but I have accepted it's part of the game now.

But if you are going to do it... then take it in the ribs and walk down to first base... end of discussion.

He got what he deserved.

On a separate but somewhat related note, for 15 fucking years I have watched the Yankees throw fastballs right down the middle to Ortiz... him hit it to the moon and stare at it for 5 minutes...with nothing done about it. It's disgusting. Even though I don't know why hes leaving now when all that rice n beans is still working for him ... thank god he is.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 10:37:08 AM by JAEBALL » Logged

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »

I HATE the excessive bat flip or the excessive fist pumping and all that ... (even in a playoff game with emotion running high) but I have accepted it's part of the game now.

But if you are going to do it... then take it is the ribs and walk down to first base... end of discussion.

He got what he deserved.

On a separate but somewhat related note, for 15 fucking years I have watched the Yankees throw fastballs right down the middle to Ortiz... him hit it to the moon and stare at it for 5 minutes...with nothing done about it. It's disgusting. Even though I don't know why hes leaving now when all that rice n beans is still working for him ... thank god he is.

And yet...the Sox will throw at just about any Yankee that looks at them crosseyed.

I know.  And I agree...it's annoying as fuck.

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2016, 11:13:38 AM »

I agree, 100%, Falcom.  You knew he was going to wear one, and I think the Rangers waited to exactly when they should have.  Granted, maybe with the game so close, you can question it. But this was obviously planned.  And I think it makes sense, given when "the flip" occurred, too.  It really didn't give the Rangers an opportunity to retaliate, at the point it happened, either. Right?  Turn about is fair play, I say.

Lets face it: Bautista's slide was dirty. And Bacon, you can argue til you're blue in the face on that, but it was late, and there was intent. Odor was lucky to get his leg out of the way or face serious injury.  And, honestly, I don't even mind the slide that much...but it wasn't a hard baseball play being done to save an out.  It was Joey Bats having a tantrum and retaliating for being hit, rather than taking his lump, moving on, and letting the league deal with it. It was what it was.

AND, if Joey Bats gets up, glares at Odor, aand walks back to the dugout....he doesn't get his jaw jacked, either.  But he had to mouth off, get in the guys face, and say his piece, before walking back (that sure looks like letting baseball plays decide things, eh?). That's ENTIRELY the point to all this: Bautista can't just play ball "old school".  He has to try to look "big time" while doing it. He wants to show people up.  And, again...that's fine.  I generally have no problem with it. BUT, there is a whole "old school" crowd that does take issue with it (and it's not a small group)...and you have to know you're gonna take some lumps if that's the way you want to play the game.  Take them, and move on.

Also if you think Bautista took that punch and didn't wobble, you need to watch the play again a few times.  Those knees buckled, and only sheer force of will kept him upright. THAT was impressive, but lets not make it out to be a "sissy punch". No way.   If Odor had wanted to, and followed up, Bautista's head would have been knocked off.  In MMA, the ref would have stopped the freaking fight with another punch or two.  No question who got the better end of that exchange.

I don't think Bautista got anything more than he should have been expecting, both times.  He ran into an old school team, with old school attitudes, which should come as no surprise when dealing with a team who's attitude was largely shaped by Nolan Ryan.

There will be suspensions all around, but the funny part is....Odor will take the burnt for the Rangers, and Edsel (the pitcher..I'm probably butchering his name) will get some games, too.  The Jays are going to lose half their team to this one, including their manager for a game or two.  The suspensions might be relatively short (1 to 3 games), but they're all going to be served at the same time.   You could literally lose 30 to 40% of your lineup for awhile.

That was one hard punch haha.

From all accounts there was some serious punches thrown in the scrum.   The jays bullpen catcher was involved with a few.  I always wanted his job

Batista got hit buy a 96 mhr 4 seem fast ball in the ribs.   Everyone in the world new it was intentional, but the umpire let the pitcher stay in the game?  That's what Joey was complaining about on first base. 

Then if he really wanted to hurt Odur sliding into second.   He would have.   

Just a shame these two teams wont see each other gain until next year
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »

But if you are going to do it... then take it is the ribs and walk down to first base... end of discussion.

He got what he deserved.

And yet...the Sox will throw at just about any Yankee that looks at them crosseyed.

I know.  And I agree...it's annoying as fuck.
Ortiz gets away with his admiring his HR's, no doubt. Not sure why. Maybe he's well respected and well liked among his peers, so they're willing to accept it. The Yankees did finally hit him a few years back and I don't think he was too happy about it. Chris Archer and David Price have thrown at him and spoken out about him to the media, so he doesn't get a complete pass. But he does get off a little light.

I didn't have a problem with the bat flip heard round the world. The timing of the Rangers hitting Bautista was a little suspect, but you knew they'd probably do that at some point. I also don't have a problem with Bautista being upset and going hard at Odor. If you look at the replay it looks like Odor knew it was coming and aimed the throw at Bautista's head. That's the most egregious act of all this. The throw was way off, and I don't think that was due to Bautista bearing down on him. Odor is probably going to get a hefty suspension since he connected. He's a dirty player. Check on YouTube for a brawl he was involved in where he was overly aggressive in the minors too. Seems like a bit of a punk to me. Even more so than Jose.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:25:35 AM by faldor » Logged

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »

let's consider what this is about:

Texas took issue with the manner in which Bautista celebrated to biggest home run of his career - a home run that was only possible because of damn-near historically inept fielding by Texas in the same inning, and an absolute grapefruit served up by Sam "I'll pretend to wash my balls with a Jays' fan's towel while harping about respecting the game" Dyson. They spent 6 months harping about it, along with every other "old school" ex-pitcher ESPN could find. Interestingly, the view outside of Texas and Toronto was, at worst 50/50 over whether or not it was "disrespectful" to Texas.

Despite this, Texas clearly at some point plotted revenge against Bautista for the perceived slight to the team's dignity. Naturally, rather than take advantage of ample opportunities to do so both in Toronto and earlier in the series, the Texas "tough guy" Rangers waited until the last time Bautista would come to the plate vs Texas this season (outside of the playoffs). This is the moment when the Texas "respect for the game" Rangers decide to have a cokehead jailbird rookie (because that's so respectful) plunk Bautista in the ribs with a 96 mph pitch.

Sure, Bautista was wrong to run at Odor, but under baseballs "unwritten rules" (which apparently in some circles are more important than the actual written ones) it was an appropriate response to being plunked. So naturally, Odor responds to NOT ACTUALLY BEING INJURED by cold-cocking Bautista in the jaw when he wasn't expecting it-apparently that's what tough guys who "respect the game" do.

The Rangers are hypocrites and punks - top to bottom
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »

Sure, Bautista was wrong to run at Odor, but under baseballs "unwritten rules" (which apparently in some circles are more important than the actual written ones) it was an appropriate response to being plunked. So naturally, Odor responds to NOT ACTUALLY BEING INJURED by cold-cocking Bautista in the jaw when he wasn't expecting it-apparently that's what tough guys who "respect the game" do.

The appropriator response to getting plunked to do nothing.  No hard slide (illegal now) and no mouthing off after the slide.

Not excusing Odor's actions of course, but if Joey Bat's didn't expect some sort of response it's on him.

I wasn't aware Toronto plunked Fielder after the 2nd base dust up, bush..

Fielder wore it and went to first, simple as that.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2016, 12:05:57 PM »

The appropriator response to getting plunked to do nothing.  No hard slide (illegal now) and no mouthing off after the slide.

Not excusing Odor's actions of course, but if Joey Bat's didn't expect some sort of response it's on him.

I wasn't aware Toronto plunked Fielder after the 2nd base dust up, bush..

Fielder wore it and went to first, simple as that.

Feilder took it like a champ

He actually smiled

But I think he was smiling because it was his first time on base this year! haha
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2016, 12:59:50 PM »

let's consider what this is about:

Texas took issue with the manner in which Bautista celebrated to biggest home run of his career - a home run that was only possible because of damn-near historically inept fielding by Texas in the same inning, and an absolute grapefruit served up by Sam "I'll pretend to wash my balls with a Jays' fan's towel while harping about respecting the game" Dyson. They spent 6 months harping about it, along with every other "old school" ex-pitcher ESPN could find. Interestingly, the view outside of Texas and Toronto was, at worst 50/50 over whether or not it was "disrespectful" to Texas.

Despite this, Texas clearly at some point plotted revenge against Bautista for the perceived slight to the team's dignity. Naturally, rather than take advantage of ample opportunities to do so both in Toronto and earlier in the series, the Texas "tough guy" Rangers waited until the last time Bautista would come to the plate vs Texas this season (outside of the playoffs). This is the moment when the Texas "respect for the game" Rangers decide to have a cokehead jailbird rookie (because that's so respectful) plunk Bautista in the ribs with a 96 mph pitch.

The Rangers are hypocrites and punks - top to bottom

Agreed Bman, across the board.  I hope the rest of the teams in the league unite behind the Jays on this and always flip their bats when playing the Rangers, for anything, even for a walk. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: