Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227783 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 152584 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »

That was one hard punch haha.

From all accounts there was some serious punches thrown in the scrum.   The jays bullpen catcher was involved with a few.  I always wanted his job

Batista got hit buy a 96 mhr 4 seem fast ball in the ribs.   Everyone in the world new it was intentional, but the umpire let the pitcher stay in the game?  That's what Joey was complaining about on first base.   

Without a warning, you can't chuck him. Especially in a one run game, because, even though you and I both know it was intentional....the umps have no proof.  I mean..what if it really HAD just gotten away from him?  And, the Rangers were smart: They played good cop, got no warnings, and took their pound of flesh.  That's baseball.

Toronto has done similar stuff to similar folks before (A-rod, for example).  Joey bats bitched because, as per usual, that's just what he does.  Take your lump and move on.  Get them the next time by smashing another homer deep into the bleachers.

Then if he really wanted to hurt Odur sliding into second.   He would have.   

Sorry, no.  He slid WAY late, and was going right for Odur.  Odur, astutely, managed to move.  If he doesn't, his leg gets nailed.  You can't say he wasn't trying to hurt him, or the slide wasn't dirty, because Bautista obeyed the laws of physics and couldn't change direction.

And when he got up, he glared at Odur...before Odur had said a word.  It was intentional...and very typical of Bautista.  And again, I have no problem with it.  But, if Bautista glares, and walks back to the dugout.....no punches get thrown.  

He didn't.  He, again, felt the need to open his mouth.  Which then got shut, quickly, by a right hook.

Just a shame these two teams wont see each other gain until next year

Or October.

I don't think its a shame, at all, actually.  I think the stewing will do everyone some good. Wink

It's the Jays turn to spend some time being pissed off.  The Rangers got to do it all winter.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »

I HATE the excessive bat flip or the excessive fist pumping and all that ... (even in a playoff game with emotion running high) but I have accepted it's part of the game now.

But if you are going to do it... then take it is the ribs and walk down to first base... end of discussion.

He got what he deserved.

On a separate but somewhat related note, for 15 fucking years I have watched the Yankees throw fastballs right down the middle to Ortiz... him hit it to the moon and stare at it for 5 minutes...with nothing done about it. It's disgusting. Even though I don't know why hes leaving now when all that rice n beans is still working for him ... thank god he is.

And yet...the Sox will throw at just about any Yankee that looks at them crosseyed.

I know.  And I agree...it's annoying as fuck.
Ortiz gets away with his admiring his HR's, no doubt. Not sure why. Maybe he's well respected and well liked among his peers, so they're willing to accept it. The Yankees did finally hit him a few years back and I don't think he was too happy about it. Chris Archer and David Price have thrown at him and spoken out about him to the media, so he doesn't get a complete pass. But he does get off a little light.

I didn't have a problem with the bat flip heard round the world. The timing of the Rangers hitting Bautista was a little suspect, but you knew they'd probably do that at some point. I also don't have a problem with Bautista being upset and going hard at Odor. If you look at the replay it looks like Odor knew it was coming and aimed the throw at Bautista's head. That's the most egregious act of all this. The throw was way off, and I don't think that was due to Bautista bearing down on him. Odor is probably going to get a hefty suspension since he connected. He's a dirty player. Check on YouTube for a brawl he was involved in where he was overly aggressive in the minors too. Seems like a bit of a punk to me. Even more so than Jose.

See, I don't have a problem with it all ,either.  Not the flip, not throwing at JB, or at the slide, or at Odurs glare.

But if you're gonna write checks, you have to have money in the bank to cash them.  If you do things a certain way....there is a segment of players and team management that take issue with it.  And you have to know, and take, what's coming.

Again, I would have had 100% more respect for Jose if he took the shot to the ribs, slid hard (and dirty) at Odur, and then just turned his back and walked off the field.

You know, like he said: Let it all be determined by baseball plays.

But he didn't. He opened his yap, and went to get in the WRONG guys face. 

I agree...Odur is a bit of a punk.  But I don't think he's MORE of one that JB.  He was just more willing to shut the other guy up than most players are.

Odur will get 7, probably, and lowered to 5.  He MIGHT get 15, lowered to 10...but I think that's high given Joey Bats move toward him.  If Odur had sucker punched him, as he got up from the slide...maybe.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »

let's consider what this is about:

Texas took issue with the manner in which Bautista celebrated to biggest home run of his career - a home run that was only possible because of damn-near historically inept fielding by Texas in the same inning, and an absolute grapefruit served up by Sam "I'll pretend to wash my balls with a Jays' fan's towel while harping about respecting the game" Dyson. They spent 6 months harping about it, along with every other "old school" ex-pitcher ESPN could find. Interestingly, the view outside of Texas and Toronto was, at worst 50/50 over whether or not it was "disrespectful" to Texas.

I think that's roughly the "old school" vs "new school" POV percentage, too.

That's the MLB battle right now, waging.  The "new school" folks like the emotion, a bit of swagger, and celebration".  The "old school" thinks that disrespects the game and the other players on the opposing team...and when you're trusting (to some extent) the "other guys" with your life when you step into the box...that's the basis of "the unwritten rules". 

You play hard, I'll play hard, and neither of us will try to make the other look bad, or hurt them intentionally.

The old school feels, if you throw those out the window, so do they....and all bets are off.

Despite this, Texas clearly at some point plotted revenge against Bautista for the perceived slight to the team's dignity. Naturally, rather than take advantage of ample opportunities to do so both in Toronto and earlier in the series, the Texas "tough guy" Rangers waited until the last time Bautista would come to the plate vs Texas this season (outside of the playoffs). This is the moment when the Texas "respect for the game" Rangers decide to have a cokehead jailbird rookie (because that's so respectful) plunk Bautista in the ribs with a 96 mph pitch.

You're missing the poetic justice piece: The Rangers had to stew all winter about it.  They weren't give the opportunity to retaliate that that point in time or, as Joey Bats said, let baseball plays take care of things.

They decided..and you gotta admire the evil streak...to put JB and the Jays in the same boat.  They now have 130ish games to stew about it, plus, potentially, an entire off season.  I mean...thats just amazing in terms of planning, story, and pure evilness of the revenge.   It wasn't because they feared the Jays reprisals. They were making a point.

Sure, Bautista was wrong to run at Odor, but under baseballs "unwritten rules" (which apparently in some circles are more important than the actual written ones) it was an appropriate response to being plunked. So naturally, Odor responds to NOT ACTUALLY BEING INJURED by cold-cocking Bautista in the jaw when he wasn't expecting it-apparently that's what tough guys who "respect the game" do.

No.

The appropriate response, in the unwritten rules, is to take your base and shut your mouth.  Especially if you know WHY it's being done. Especially especially if your team has engaged in similar reprisals in the past. Wink

If you think you been done wrong, the appropriate response is to have a "discussion" with the pitcher up the first base line, and handle it with them.

It is NOT to then perpetrate a dirty slide on the the guy covering second base. It is not to RUSH the same guy, while yelling at him, because the guy takes issue with your dirty slide WITH A GLARE and a couple choice obscenities.

You can't have it both ways: You can't say "JB was right to mouth off"...when he wasn't injured.  But Odur, in kind, can not take action against a guy rushing him, screaming at him, and apparently intending to either harm him, or get in his face....because HE was not injured. 

I'm not saying Odur was right to cold cock him (though, it might have been a better munch than anything seen at the Manny vs Pac Man fight), either.  I'm saying that....JB bears some of the responsibility and blame for his aching jaw this morning, too.  A good bunch of it.  Probably half of it (or more).

The Rangers are hypocrites and punks - top to bottom

Not surprising you think so, given your loyalties.  I wouldn't go so far.  They have their share, and Odur is def one of them.

But so do the Jays, and JB is right at the top of that list.  Listen to his post game comments.  Watch his actions on the field.  THATS hypocrisy.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2016, 01:37:11 PM »

let's consider what this is about:

Texas took issue with the manner in which Bautista celebrated to biggest home run of his career - a home run that was only possible because of damn-near historically inept fielding by Texas in the same inning, and an absolute grapefruit served up by Sam "I'll pretend to wash my balls with a Jays' fan's towel while harping about respecting the game" Dyson. They spent 6 months harping about it, along with every other "old school" ex-pitcher ESPN could find. Interestingly, the view outside of Texas and Toronto was, at worst 50/50 over whether or not it was "disrespectful" to Texas.

Despite this, Texas clearly at some point plotted revenge against Bautista for the perceived slight to the team's dignity. Naturally, rather than take advantage of ample opportunities to do so both in Toronto and earlier in the series, the Texas "tough guy" Rangers waited until the last time Bautista would come to the plate vs Texas this season (outside of the playoffs). This is the moment when the Texas "respect for the game" Rangers decide to have a cokehead jailbird rookie (because that's so respectful) plunk Bautista in the ribs with a 96 mph pitch.

Sure, Bautista was wrong to run at Odor, but under baseballs "unwritten rules" (which apparently in some circles are more important than the actual written ones) it was an appropriate response to being plunked. So naturally, Odor responds to NOT ACTUALLY BEING INJURED by cold-cocking Bautista in the jaw when he wasn't expecting it-apparently that's what tough guys who "respect the game" do.

The Rangers are hypocrites and punks - top to bottom

Agreed Bman, across the board.  I hope the rest of the teams in the league unite behind the Jays on this and always flip their bats when playing the Rangers, for anything, even for a walk. 

See, I say you include the Jays in that conversation.  Bat flips for everyone.

And watch how many jays plunk the opposition.  It will be a lot more than one, I can promise you.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »

Agreed Bman, across the board.  I hope the rest of the teams in the league unite behind the Jays on this and always flip their bats when playing the Rangers, for anything, even for a walk. 

And watch how many jays plunk the opposition.  It will be a lot more than one, I can promise you.

Really?  I did not think they were among the old school of 'if you emotionally hurt us by celebrating, we will physically hurt you" thought.  But could be, admit I don't follow them that closely.  Whichever team it is though, be it Rangers, Jays, even Mets, I find that approach so pathetic.  Anyway, aptly-named Odor definitely connected well, but that awesome bat flip from last year was still well worth it.

I understand some people think certain celebrations cross the line from celebration to 'taunt'.  But so what?  One of the most common expressions on a basketball court is 'IN YO' FACE!!'  Can't get much more taunt than that.  But it's so common, that it's generally taken in good nature.  So it's become fun to give and take trash, which is what sports is supposed to be --- fun. 
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »

Really?  I did not think they were among the old school of 'if you emotionally hurt us by celebrating, we will physically hurt you" thought.  But could be, admit I don't follow them that closely.  Whichever team it is though, be it Rangers, Jays, even Mets, I find that approach so pathetic.  Anyway, aptly-named Odor definitely connected well, but that awesome bat flip from last year was still well worth it.

I understand some people think certain celebrations cross the line from celebration to 'taunt'.  But so what?  One of the most common expressions on a basketball court is 'IN YO' FACE!!'  Can't get much more taunt than that.  But it's so common, that it's generally taken in good nature.  So it's become fun to give and take trash, which is what sports is supposed to be --- fun. 

The Jays are very innocent of any wrong doing.  They play a very clean and safe version of ball.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »

I hold baseball to a higher standard than the other sports with that stuff... might not be right...but I always will.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »

I hold baseball to a higher standard than the other sports with that stuff... might not be right...but I always will.
I don't get why pitchers get to celebrate a big strikeout without repercussions yet get upset when a batter pimps a HR on them. Turnabout is fair play, no?

Bautista didn't feel like he did anything wrong with the bat flip, so while he may have expected to get hit he doesn't have to agree that it's warranted. And if the ump tossed the guy, maybe he wouldn't have gone after Odor. The umpire does have the right to assume it was intentional, and it's pretty clear that it was. It's certainly happened before. So Bautista goes in hard at Odor to retaliate. Again, I have no problem with that. Odor aiming the throw at Bautista's head and the ensuing punch, that's a bit over the top to me. Fielder getting plunked SHOULD settle everything and make things even, but it probably won't. If the Rangers didn't self implode last October, none of this would have happened. Take some responsibility. It's not the Blue Jays fault, or Jose Bautista's that they couldn't close the deal. They deserve everything they got as a result.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »

The jays do it just as frequently as other teams do, esp historically. Aj and doc used to do ot even more frequently, back in the day.

They can piss and moan, but thats largely my point. They are bitching about something they do, themselves.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »

I'm getting thoroughly sick of the outrage at outrage angles, they're tired.

The anticipation of retaliation for a perceived act of disrespect adds to the theater of the game for me - I love it.

Joy, celebration...cool, fine and f'n dandy.

But..

Emotion (bat flips, a pitcher yelling after a big K) and reaction (plunking, charging the mound) aren't mutually exclusive.

If your gonna have one you're gonna get the other.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2016, 08:06:57 PM »

The jays do it just as frequently as other teams do, esp historically. Aj and doc used to do ot even more frequently, back in the day.

They can piss and moan, but thats largely my point. They are bitching about something they do, themselves.

Thy really don't do it that often. They actually do play very clean.   Those two pitchers you just mentioned were pretty rough and could get away.  Buts it has been many years since  either of them were in a Jays uniform

Stroman would be our biggest wild card these days
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »

Thy really don't do it that often. They actually do play very clean.   Those two pitchers you just mentioned were pretty rough and could get away.  Buts it has been many years since  either of them were in a Jays uniform

Stroman would be our biggest wild card these days

Most teams dont do it that often.. The rangers dont, either.

But pretty much all of them do it.

So the outrage just rings hollow.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »

Ha, that's hilarious!  Ok, just so I understand this, one group trades barbs and taunts with each other all game and then at the end shake hands and embrace in goodwill and all the rest.  The other group holds a grudge for nearly a year, planning its revenge in wait and responds violently when an opponent celebrates by flipping a piece of wood at no one in particular.  Now, which of those is the higher standard?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:31:37 PM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »

Not 'outrage', just calling it what it is, pathetic and juvenile.  Don't get offended, I'm sure you're a solid cat! 

But..

Emotion (bat flips, a pitcher yelling after a big K) and reaction (plunking, charging the mound) aren't mutually exclusive.

Yes, if you're 10 yrs old or a professional baseball player.  Where else is that true?  I don't know of any other sport or competitive endeavor where physical violence is considered a normal response to celebrating (or sometimes to just performing well).  I don't get why baseball is so different.  People get all over hockey with the violence and fights, but there I can at least understand the whole enforcement purpose of it.  But this shit that baseball players do is so senseless and stupid.   And this is not about me being a tree-hugging pacifist.  If a guy makes a dirty slide, then clip him in the neck when he's at bat.  But to do it for a celebration?  I'm sorry man, it's just dumb. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2016, 10:46:46 PM »

Not 'outrage', just calling it what it is, pathetic and juvenile.  Don't get offended, I'm sure you're a solid cat! 

But..

Yes, if you're 10 yrs old or a professional baseball player.  Where else is that true?  I don't know of any other sport or competitive endeavor where physical violence is considered a normal response to celebrating (or sometimes to just performing well).  I don't get why baseball is so different.  People get all over hockey with the violence and fights, but there I can at least understand the whole enforcement purpose of it.  But this shit that baseball players do is so senseless and stupid.   And this is not about me being a tree-hugging pacifist.  If a guy maks a dirty slide, then clip him in the neck when he's at bat.  But to do it for a celebration?  I'm sorry man, it's just dumb. 

My outrage at outrage comment wasn't meant towards you George, apologies.

Aimed at the talking heads who immediately take to twitter, blogs what the fuck ever outlet they choose to demand more of one type of emotion (joy/celebration) but less of getting f'n pissed and reacting.

Go back to the Mets/Cards rivalry of the mid/late 80's - Vince Coleman getting drilled for stealing a base up by 8 or Howard Johnson getting his crops dusted for Cadillac'n after a bomb.

Now that was entertainment! Cheesy

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2016, 11:49:12 PM »

Here's the Odor fight from his days in the minors. This time it was he that slid late at the fielder and he still was the one to go nuts and throw haymakers. Maybe he should be playing a different sport.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5eZJWMELo

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2016, 12:20:04 AM »

Here's the Odor fight from his days in the minors. This time it was he that slid late at the fielder and he still was the one to go nuts and throw haymakers. Maybe he should be playing a different sport.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5eZJWMELo

Lol he has the same fighting move then that he just used.  Push the guy know he will walk towards you and then sucker punch

Thing is even then he couldn't know the guys down

Keep practicing odor.  One of these days you will get the knock down
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2016, 09:22:41 AM »

Ha, that's hilarious!  Ok, just so I understand this, one group trades barbs and taunts with each other all game and then at the end shake hands and embrace in goodwill and all the rest.  The other group holds a grudge for nearly a year, planning its revenge in wait and responds violently when an opponent celebrates by flipping a piece of wood at no one in particular.  Now, which of those is the higher standard?

haha...

I played a lot of baseball as a youngin'... and I was taught early on you hit the ball no matter how hard and far and you run hard to first base...

That's all. So its ridiculous that these guys show up the other team and then get outraged when it happens to their team...it's comical really.

Well actually I find it equally mind boggling when a 6'10 guy dunks the basketball and screams to the high heavens for his amazing accomplishment. (ok fine i'm just jealous i cant dunk)

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »

My outrage at outrage comment wasn't meant towards you George, apologies.

Aimed at the talking heads who immediately take to twitter, blogs what the fuck ever outlet they choose to demand more of one type of emotion (joy/celebration) but less of getting f'n pissed and reacting.

Go back to the Mets/Cards rivalry of the mid/late 80's - Vince Coleman getting drilled for stealing a base up by 8 or Howard Johnson getting his crops dusted for Cadillac'n after a bomb.

Now that was entertainment! Cheesy

Yes!!  But 80 Mets/Cards get a pass.  Those guys just hated each other and generally wanted to beat the crap out of each other all the time, so any perceived slight was a convenient reason to do so.   hihi
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »

haha...

I played a lot of baseball as a youngin'... and I was taught early on you hit the ball no matter how hard and far and you run hard to first base...

That's all. So its ridiculous that these guys show up the other team and then get outraged when it happens to their team...it's comical really.

Well actually I find it equally mind boggling when a 6'10 guy dunks the basketball and screams to the high heavens for his amazing accomplishment. (ok fine i'm just jealous i cant dunk)

Lol, I would pay at least $5 to see a one day culture switch between basketball and baseball and see what happens.  hihi
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: