Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 151641 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »

Texas and the Dodgers made out very good today

I am fearing for the jays
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2016, 07:04:24 PM »

And there goes Beltran and Nova.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2016, 07:09:03 PM »

I thought miller was making millions and was 31.   Not really a age for a rebuild

And what does New York care about money anyways.   That's always there thing

Cheap not cheap. Who cares there.   

Because it's a brave new world with the increased luxury tax penalties that are cumulative, and don't reset until you can get under 189 for a season.  The Yanks have increasingly talked budget more than winning.  So, to them, it matters.

Given there's a budget, money that goes for your closer doesn't go toward, say, a quality third baseman.

Miller is making 9 million per for the next 2 years (2017 and 2018).  That's for his age 32 and 33 season which, in terms of effectiveness, is the PERFECT time to let a player go play the UFA game, because it's after 33 for pitchers that you typically see decline.   He is, literally, the perfect closer in terms of effectiveness, price, and age to contract duration.

You can not find a top end closer, with his effectiveness, in FA for that amount.

So, I say again: Stupid or planning to suck for the next 3 years.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »

Texas and the Dodgers made out very good today

I am fearing for the jays
Yeah, Texas and Cleveland have seemingly separated from the pack in the AL. It's still a 3 team race in the East. Whichever 2 teams lose out should battle for wild card slots with the likes of Houston and Detroit, who's had a bit of a resurgence of late.

The Red Sox didn't make any big deals today, but they made their deals in the weeks leading up to the deadline. Pomeranz hasn't been too good so far. Ziegler has been very good. They tried for Beltran to help stabilize their LF situation, but the Yanks were unlikely to deal him to Boston. And they were unwilling to unload their top prospects for short term gains. So, they've decided to call up one of those guys tomorrow. Andrew Benintendi, who they drafted just last year, is making the jump straight from AA. Kid has a lot of promise, I just hope he's ready. Maybe he'll provide a spark to a recently struggling offense.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2016, 12:39:12 AM »

I thought miller was making millions and was 31.   Not really a age for a rebuild

Because it's a brave new world with the increased luxury tax penalties that are cumulative, and don't reset until you can get under 189 for a season.  The Yanks have increasingly talked budget more than winning.  So, to them, it matters.

Given there's a budget, money that goes for your closer doesn't go toward, say, a quality third baseman.

Miller is making 9 million per for the next 2 years (2017 and 2018).  That's for his age 32 and 33 season which, in terms of effectiveness, is the PERFECT time to let a player go play the UFA game, because it's after 33 for pitchers that you typically see decline.   He is, literally, the perfect closer in terms of effectiveness, price, and age to contract duration.

You can not find a top end closer, with his effectiveness, in FA for that amount.

You never know. They restocked that farm system and then some. They could flip those prospects for some proven MLB players in the off season. Make some smart free agent signings and they're right back at it. I do agree with you on Miller. I would've held onto him. They better hope they got that one right. The rest of the deals made perfect sense to me, but that one could hurt.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #345 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:37 AM »

You never know. They restocked that farm system and then some. They could flip those prospects for some proven MLB players in the off season. Make some smart free agent signings and they're right back at it. I do agree with you on Miller. I would've held onto him. They better hope they got that one right. The rest of the deals made perfect sense to me, but that one could hurt.

That's the only one that really bugs me.

Chapman, they turned a hand full of magic beans and a few million bucks into quality prospects.  The SS thing is a little odd, but..he was probably the single best prospect available to them from all the teams that were interested, so it's hard to fault that.

The Beltran deal makes total sense.  The guy is a FA at the end of the year and is going to a contender.  The Yanks aren't going to need him this year..and, in fact, it would be better to be TERRIBLE than it would be to continue to be mediocre for the rest of this year.  For 2 months of rental they got 3 very solid prospects under team control 5eva.

The Nova deal, likewise, doesn't feel like a huge loss.  I mean...a lot of that depends on who "TBNL x2" turn out to be, but...even if they are medium level prospects...Nova was an inconsistent piece of the puzzle, anyway, and probably replaceable in the rotation from their farm system going forward, never mind via FA signing.

But the Miller deal is the one that makes zero sense to me.  It's the classic Cashman over-reach.  It makes zero sense UNLESS you figure that you're going to be terrible for the next 2 to 3 years.

I mean....if you're HONESTLY trying to build a "super team" (that Cash comment makes me want to throw things at him), Miller would be the cornerstone of the bullpen of that team any time soon.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #346 on: August 02, 2016, 11:02:35 PM »

Hearing strong rumors A-Rod is on his way out the door by the end of the season. Good riddance.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #347 on: August 05, 2016, 09:26:04 AM »

Mark Teixeira has called a presser for 3 PM today.  Apparently going to announce his retirement, effective at the end of this season.

Wow, I did NOT see that coming!

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »

Jays are moving to a 6 man rotation for the rest of the season   

This is all to save the arm of our young stud Sanches   Who is in the running for the CY YOUNG.

Jays have the best pitching in the East.  Which I havnt been able to say for a very long time

We have this new/old lefty starting tonight for us, that we got from the pirates.

He is actually our highest paid starter right now, but is said to have lost it.

KC is a pitcher friendly park and KC stinks this year   So its a good place to break him in

Go Jays!!!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2016, 04:23:50 PM »

Mark Teixeira has called a presser for 3 PM today.  Apparently going to announce his retirement, effective at the end of this season.

Just saw that, never a fan of his but had a good career.

And before anyone brings it up, he's (IMO) not smelling the HOF.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #350 on: August 05, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »

Agreed, probably needed 1-200 more homeruns to be seriously considered.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #351 on: August 05, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »

Agree.

While he has some "best evers" for a switch hitter, he doesnt have the career numbers to get him n. If he had not injured that wrist...maybe.  And he's not so far outsde thst he cant see the doors...but he still has to buy a ticket, i think.

He's Tino Martinez. Whch is a way above average player, but not hof.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #352 on: August 05, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »

Yeah definitely a couple hundred homers shy.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #353 on: August 05, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »

Big win for the Jays tonight

Good showing from our new lefty

Now time to watch the opening of the Olympics

Go Jays

Go Canada!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2016, 08:28:04 PM »

Yankees and A-Rod have called a presser for 11 am tomorrow. Looks like he's next to be kicked out the door.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #355 on: August 06, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »

Yankees and A-Rod have called a presser for 11 am tomorrow. Looks like he's next to be kicked out the door.

I hear retirement, but he stays ths year. But still...big $ savings for the yanks next year!

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #356 on: August 06, 2016, 11:09:40 PM »

I hear retirement, but he stays ths year. But still...big $ savings for the yanks next year!
Hopefully we're smart with it and don't just go and try to buy another title.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #357 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »

So.....Friday, not end of season. Interesting....

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #358 on: August 07, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »

Now McCann is on his way out the door. He's cleared waiver paving the way for a trade.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #359 on: August 07, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »

Jays really need to get there offence going! 

Hopefully being back at home helps the boys out
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: