Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:14:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2016 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 151639 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #360 on: August 08, 2016, 06:36:24 AM »

Now McCann is on his way out the door. He's cleared waiver paving the way for a trade.

We'll see.

Yanks put 5 or 6 big contract players on waivers every year, just in case a trade deal crops up.

Given he's the last of the big $$ contracts (well, Ellsbury, but...lets face it...he's going nowhere), it wouldn't surprise me if they shopped him around a bit to see if they can find any takers. I'm just not sure there's a market out there for him, all things considered.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #361 on: August 08, 2016, 10:34:46 AM »

As far as A-Rod being a "Special Advisor" until Dec 2017, what horrible jobs can they give him, with the goal of making him quit so that they don't have to pay him the rest of his contract?
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #362 on: August 08, 2016, 11:51:59 AM »

As far as A-Rod being a "Special Advisor" until Dec 2017, what horrible jobs can they give him, with the goal of making him quit so that they don't have to pay him the rest of his contract?

My understanding is that once a player is released, they are paid what ever is owed.  I would think this special advisor thing is above and beyond that.  Perhaps its scouting jays games from the bar.  I would be good at that one!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #363 on: August 08, 2016, 12:46:00 PM »

My understanding is that once a player is released, they are paid what ever is owed.  I would think this special advisor thing is above and beyond that.  Perhaps its scouting jays games from the bar.  I would be good at that one!

It's going to be interesting to see.

This is what the Yankees are saying right now...that A-rod will be paid the remainder of his player contract through 2017.

BUT, there are provisions in the CBA for vacating a player contract due to voluntary (ie: non injury related) retirement.

Now, not very many players have ever taken advantage of this provision.  They just don't file papers until their contract is up because...why would you?

That being said, if he did file papers on, say, Dec 31st, 2016....it sure seems like the Yanks would NOT owe him his 2017 wages, even in an MLB guaranteed contract.

In that case, if it converted to a Front Office contract....he would be paid the same amount, but as a "special advisor".

I suspect that the Yanks might try to float this, but are gearing up for a fight with MLB and maybe the MLBPA.  That was what I was hearing going INTO the presser, yesterday, but they seemed to have changed course at some point before hand.  We'll see...

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #364 on: August 08, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »

This is what the Yankees are saying right now...that A-rod will be paid the remainder of his player contract through 2017.

BUT, there are provisions in the CBA for vacating a player contract due to voluntary (ie: non injury related) retirement.

Now, not very many players have ever taken advantage of this provision.  They just don't file papers until their contract is up because...why would you?

That being said, if he did file papers on, say, Dec 31st, 2016....it sure seems like the Yanks would NOT owe him his 2017 wages, even in an MLB guaranteed contract.

In that case, if it converted to a Front Office contract....he would be paid the same amount, but as a "special advisor".

I suspect that the Yanks might try to float this, but are gearing up for a fight with MLB and maybe the MLBPA.  That was what I was hearing going INTO the presser, yesterday, but they seemed to have changed course at some point before hand.  We'll see...

There is a huge difference between retiring and released.

I am pretty sure Arod will not be walking away from 30 million.   

I am not sure why the Yankees just do not release him all together and cut ties with him.   Not sure the value of paying him 30 million to still be involved in the org   It would make better sense to pay him 30 million just to go away.   Unless they have something up there sleaves
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #365 on: August 08, 2016, 01:45:52 PM »

There is a huge difference between retiring and released.

I am pretty sure Arod will not be walking away from 30 million.   

I am not sure why the Yankees just do not release him all together and cut ties with him.   Not sure the value of paying him 30 million to still be involved in the org   It would make better sense to pay him 30 million just to go away.   Unless they have something up there sleaves

That's exactly the point.

They are releasing him Friday.  IF he decides to retire before Dec 31st, 2016, THEN they would not be responsible for the remainder of the contract, in terms of luxury tax.

And I agree: Why release him only to give him a job in the organization if you're only going to have to pay him out his player contract.  Makes no sense to me. Easier to just show him the door.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 01:53:02 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #366 on: August 09, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »

Zero reason the Jays shouldn't sweep Tampa this series.  Good game last night

Great seeing Baltimore loose!  woohoo

Go Jays
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #367 on: August 09, 2016, 06:34:29 PM »

Looks like Prince Fielder is done, due to his nevk injury. Docs wont clear him to play.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #368 on: August 09, 2016, 07:02:39 PM »

Love or hate Arod ... I'm gunna miss him ...

Him Bonds and Griffey are all top 10 type players. It's been fun.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #369 on: August 09, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »

Now McCann is on his way out the door. He's cleared waiver paving the way for a trade.

I'd love to clear out McCann and Gardner.

We have been hearing about Sanchez for what feels like a decade let's see what he can do every day and hopefully next year the outfield looks like Frazier in left, Judge in right and everybody's favorite one year wonder Ellsbury in center. With Bird hopefully fully recovered at first.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #370 on: August 10, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »

We have been hearing about Sanchez for what feels like a decade let's see what he can do every day and hopefully next year the outfield looks like Frazier in left, Judge in right and everybody's favorite one year wonder Ellsbury in center. With Bird hopefully fully recovered at first.

C'mon...Ellsbury will play like 70 games next year.  Someone else will be out there the other 90.

I also don't think Gardy is going anywhere.  Maybe, we'll see.  He's got 2 more at 12 per, which is pretty affordable. He can play all 3 outfield positions (and with Ellsbury in center, that's a big pro).  If they clear out McCann, one of the guys you mentioned probably ends up at DH, unless they go out and sign one for next year.

I'll take the youngsters in position play next year, if they can manage to figure out an actual, functional, rotation.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:51:11 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #371 on: August 10, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »

Well it is official, Prince Fielder is done. Such a shame. Hate to see a player go out like that.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #372 on: August 10, 2016, 06:22:04 PM »

C'mon...Ellsbury will play like 70 games next year.  Someone else will be out there the other 90.

I also don't think Gardy is going anywhere.  Maybe, we'll see.  He's got 2 more at 12 per, which is pretty affordable. He can play all 3 outfield positions (and with Ellsbury in center, that's a big pro).  If they clear out McCann, one of the guys you mentioned probably ends up at DH, unless they go out and sign one for next year.

I'll take the youngsters in position play next year, if they can manage to figure out an actual, functional, rotation.

I've seen enough of Bret Gardner and since he has a reasonable deal he should be easy to move. I don't need to see him
and Ellsbury get blown away back to back in the 8th inning by the other teams best lefty ever again. From our discussion you seem to be more of a fan than I am.

Agreed on the rotation ... Tanaka and Severino are the only guys I care to see in the rotation next year... Eovaldi and Pineda are what they are ... I think the word I'm looking for is .... Infuriating.

And if there is a god..... Please please please stop making me watch Aaron Hicks every day.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »

And Evoldi just left the game with an elbow problem.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »

Paging Mr john? Paging mr. Tommy john?

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »

I've seen enough of Bret Gardner and since he has a reasonable deal he should be easy to move. I don't need to see him
and Ellsbury get blown away back to back in the 8th inning by the other teams best lefty ever again. From our discussion you seem to be more of a fan than I am.

Agreed on the rotation ... Tanaka and Severino are the only guys I care to see in the rotation next year... Eovaldi and Pineda are what they are ... I think the word I'm looking for is .... Infuriating.

And if there is a god..... Please please please stop making me watch Aaron Hicks every day.

Oh, i'm not a huge fan!

But hs numbers are decent given his deal. He will never be spectacular, but hes solid enough to hold on to while they rebuild, and yet not likely to bring in the jackpot if traded. Bhe can play all 3 outfield positins, and is a good backup cf when the bury inevitably gets hurt.

Hes a cheaper version off Ellsbury, whch is why i never understood that deal.

In your scenario, the problem isnt gardner, its ellsbury, and girardi's insistence they bat 1/2, instead of 1/8 or 1/7.

He is the "you cant have all stars at every position (unless you stuff the ballot box)" player. Cheap and solid.

And in 2 years, you wave goodbye and wish him well.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2016, 09:57:35 PM »

Could be, he's heading back to New York to be examined.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »

I'll eat a horse apple if its not. All the classic signs. Discomfort, big velo drop (about 3/4 mph), no bite on his pitches.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2016, 10:42:48 PM »

I'll eat a horse apple if its not. All the classic signs. Discomfort, big velo drop (about 3/4 mph), no bite on his pitches.

Well if there's ever a good time for it to happen it is now. We're pretty much resigned to sucking for awhile. So it won't be a huge loss. Maybe Tanaka should have his done too since we know he's going to need it at some point being he's already got that small tear.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #379 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »

Oh to be in first feels so good

Feels even better when all the enemies loose!!!  woohoo

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: