Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:58:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227770 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Does the reunion have any popular support outside of the forums?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does the reunion have any popular support outside of the forums?  (Read 6919 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: January 19, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »

When I look at talk about the reunion on FB or on music sites comments' sections, I see nothing but negativty or apathy about the reunion. Most comments are saying it isn't a real reunion because Izzy and Steven aren't going to be in it, and are refusing to see it. The question is then, is this reunion doomed? Does it have any 'legs' outside of the fan forums if most of the public is against it?
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:52:23 PM »

Oh, the negative people will always stick their necks out and be the most visible ones.

Look at any comment section to any article about anything, they're present.

Talking to people in "the real world", they are largely positive about this. The ticket sales will be a good indicator.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
OscarAxl22
VIP

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:27:31 AM »

I wouldnt take too much notice of the comments on FB, or any other social media site to be completely honest. People like to be cnuts on those sites.

I agree with spirit... in the real world.. people are much more positive. For example.. my group of friends all love their rock n roll... None of them frequent forums like we do... but they listen to their music and they know whats going on.. and they are all like.. holy.. fk.. we should be going to vegas...it would rock. If they come to OZ... they will all go. End of story.

this Reunion will do the numbers... of that i am sure!  beer

PolarBearWitchHead
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:33:40 AM »

When I look at talk about the reunion on FB or on music sites comments' sections, I see nothing but negativty or apathy about the reunion. Most comments are saying it isn't a real reunion because Izzy and Steven aren't going to be in it, and are refusing to see it. The question is then, is this reunion doomed? Does it have any 'legs' outside of the fan forums if most of the public is against it?

Who gives a shit? 
Buckeye
Opening Act

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 12:36:24 AM »

Hating (in general) isn't always logical, but I'd point out that if you saw GNR on the Illusions tours Steven and Izzy weren't at those shows.

I'd bet there wasn't a single person showing up to the GNR/Metallica shows in 1992 complaining that it wasn't "real GNR" 

And I say this loving Steven and Izzy and the role they each played in the band.

Slash once played my Les Paul (pic to the left) & the bass used on "Better" is literally on my living room floor. 

Was at the first and last shows of the Bumblefoot era: 5/12/06 NYC & 6/7/14 Vegas
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 01:12:26 AM »

Who gives a shit? 

True dat

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
eyemojo
Opening Act

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 02:24:49 AM »

I'm now 39, and live on the East Coast. I think we are all inundated with work and bills and the madness of the world. Having seen them three times including the original and V.R. once, stadium shows are much- so I think some of us are waiting to see how these first shows go. Having friends in their 20s who are musicians- at least one seems excited- whereas another was wearing a Replacements shirt and I was wearing a Robert Williams t and he did not realize that was the original cover nor Juxtapoz etc. I will be certainly be watching any videos and checking to see setlist and what members show up! Hope it goes well. If it does I may try to see them in a non-major market- not NYC or Philly, the latter just due to the vibe of PA fans more than anything. 

-I'm just trying to being the man on the street. You are comparable to the Stones- I think part of the reason that people keep coming out for them is that they appear exotic, being from London, so it's sort of a treat when they come around. I don't think people know just what to expect...just yet...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:04:56 AM by eyemojo » Logged
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 02:52:34 AM »

those people dont speak for the masses. the masses dont know the difference between richard and izzy or steven and frank. my dad was a huge gnr fan back in the day, even has an afd cross tattoo and he swears there was a "duffy". who the fuck is duffy?

anyone you see posting anything about it with specific comments/info like that is probably in the large minority of folks that will be buying tickets.

how many people will actually refuse to buy tickets, that absolutely would have purchased tickets if izzy and steven were there? 20, tops?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:54:27 AM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 02:59:53 AM »

In people eyes Axl waited too much ( I agree with them) and he can't sing anymore.
 The fact izzy and adler aren't is a less important thing, cause among the masses gnr is Axl & Slash and maybe duff....people went to see gnr in stadiums with gilby & matt.

Anyway, it will depend on how Axl will handle this and if he can sing like 2006-2010 era..
ice cream sand pig
VIP

startled by a skeleton that failed the challenge

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »

^i would say most people have no clue how he sounded, or even looked recently. many people may even go in expecting the axl from the studio versions of songs theyve heard on classic rock stations or wherever, or maybe that instance they saw him live however many years back.

if you were to think of it as a pyramid, completely clueless people would be at the bottom, comprising the majority, and the most informed people at the top, making up a very insubstantial amount of possible ticket sales.

anyone making comments like "he cant sing anymore" or "if izzy and steven are out, fuck it!" are near the top of that pyramid, no doubt.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:17:46 AM by rj seitz » Logged

anonymous communication sucks like a pleco

trolls spin webs i squirm like a gecko

noticed from the get go that my ego doesn't let go

mad like POTUS, less privelleged, more ghetto
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 04:58:34 AM »

I think it does.

I have a nephew in his 20s and he is one of the stoner type people. He skateboards, then spends the rest of his day playing on his PS4, He writes all sorts of nonsense about alot of bands on the internet, as does alot of his friends. The only band he has ever seen live is Paramore, so go figure. I also know another chappie, someone married to a girl I know, he is unemployed and sits about writing nonsense on message boards everywhere. Not just on music, but on sport and politics as well.

I then have friends from Uni who have grown older now, Big Band Theory types, who never went to see bands back in the day, but now they are older, they are catching up with bands of the day they never saw, so I know alot of them will go, but they are not the type to be on forums.

My mum has expressed an interest, she's in her 70s. I have other young relatives who missed GN'R first time around, they are really excited. GN'R are huge in India, friends I know in India love Slash, and now he is back in GN'R, it's a big thing. Friends from school will go at least once, just to see what it is all about.

As for who is in the band, it only has to be Axl and Slash, that seems to be the general consensus. As long as they are there, then all is good.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 07:29:29 AM »

All the questions I get are about Axl.  Both about his vocal ability and his reliability.

Face it, Youtube is not really our friend here.  I know the passion some have here for discrediting Youtube, which is swell, but its not an argument that resonates outside the Axl Defense Force.

I have a handful of "dude, I was sort of excited until I called up some of his recent videos and he sounds horrible" types.

At that point, all I can really do is try and direct them to some of the recent better ones, but its hard to unring that bell. 

Tell you what is killing him.  The last DVD.  Bit of a hard sell to claim that is not reliable sound quality.  And come on, some of those vocals are horrendous.  So I try and direct them to the London clips and point out that is only 6 months prior.  Not sure if that's carrying the day though.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pedrolg
Opening Act

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »

All the questions I get are about Axl.  Both about his vocal ability and his reliability.

Face it, Youtube is not really our friend here.  I know the passion some have here for discrediting Youtube, which is swell, but its not an argument that resonates outside the Axl Defense Force.

I have a handful of "dude, I was sort of excited until I called up some of his recent videos and he sounds horrible" types.

At that point, all I can really do is try and direct them to some of the recent better ones, but its hard to unring that bell. 

Tell you what is killing him.  The last DVD.  Bit of a hard sell to claim that is not reliable sound quality.  And come on, some of those vocals are horrendous.  So I try and direct them to the London clips and point out that is only 6 months prior.  Not sure if that's carrying the day though.

That is pretty spot on. Most of my friends who have been GNR fans at some point in their lives have doubts about Axl's current ability. One of them recently discovered videos from 2010, and was very excited, but soon found his way to 2011-2014 material.

I don't understand the DVD. Axl has been severely diminished since 2011, but he had some strong moments in the past few years. LA 2011, Denver 2011, Philly 2012 and Vegas 2014 are some of them. The shows at the DVD are simply not Axl at his best.

Axl's voice after the absolutely amazing 2010 tour is just so odd. He sings clean and conservately most of the time. Sometimes, it gets plain bad. On the other hand, he sometimes comes out and totally belts it out with such grit and power, be it for a song, a few songs or even sometimes a full show. Nightrain, Better, Twat and other songs on the last Vegas show were absolutely terrific.

So we know the potential ability is still there, the question is how often can Axl reach it, or even if is it up to him to reach it, or it just happens ocasionally, with decreasing frequency. At the very least, this reunion tour will provide a definite answer to the matter of Axl's voice.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »

My mum has expressed an interest, she's in her 70s.
nervous Mine too. She's 60. During a phone call earlier this week she was talking about Glenn Frey and about how she saw them in the 1970s. A bit later brought up the GNR reunion. I immediately knew where this convo was heading.  hihi Then she said it.....brought up how seeing The Doobie Brothers in 1980 was her last concert and she'd like to go see the GNR reunion since it would probably be her last concert due to her age.

She was a casual fan at best(only liked a handful of songs) but she was the one buying me AFD shirts in junior high and a bunch of other shit. I think she mainly just wants to witness the spectacle of it all....its an EVENT.

I don't really feel like taking my mom to a concert but I'm going to consider it. What kind of a son would I be to deny such a request?

I think a big percentage of the ticket buying public are just like her....they just want to witness it. The set list itself and the exact lineup will be bordering on irrelevant to those types.

Good to see you again mysteron. I know we went a few rounds back in the day but I always liked you. Bitch at ya in one post and in the next one calling you for assistance.....

phone

We really needed a bat signal in those days. Too bad memes weren't a rage back then. mysteron memes would've been all over this place.  hihi

edit: Surprised that phone smiley still worked.

------------

As far as negativity on websites go....youtube or any other comments section are troll factories. Its crystal clear there is interest in this and people aren't lining up down the block saying shit like "no Steven or Izzy=no reunion". Hogwash.  Only extreme hardcores say things like that. If you walked up to a crowd of casual fans and aimed a shotgun at their heads and told them to name classic members of the band other than Axl and Slash and you're gonna run out of ammo really quick.

Would an AFD reunion be able to be marketed to the moon? Certainly but its not a deal breaker to the general public regardless of what those comments say.  Axl+Slash=reunion and even more so with the media pushing it as such. Put Roseanne Barr on drums and it'll have no negative impact whatsoever.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: