Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228063 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Can they become the band again
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can they become the band again  (Read 7264 times)
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« on: January 24, 2016, 03:19:37 AM »

Ok.All of uss are very happy with the reunion of guns n roses.
But I thinking about one thing.Can they become a band again like in 1988 or 1991...?
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:06:18 AM »

no. much like you can't be 18 again, things keep changing, it's 2016 now. let's just consider this another GNR era - people expecting GNR from AFD/UYI era back can only be terribly disappointed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:10:22 AM by zombux » Logged

Tongue-like-a-razor
Headliner

A sweet switch-blade knife...

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:55:36 AM »

Artistically, I think it's very healthy for GN'R that the band now consists of three "peers" + a number of "employees". Axl probably still owns the name, but he's not the only rock star in the band anymore. And yes, I consider Dizzy an "employee" - albeit a very loyal one.
zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:08:26 AM »

I don't think that's the case. in my opinion, nothing has really changed - Axl is still in charge and the others are around him, no matter they are new or returned. otherwise we would have much talk, interviews and other buzz. but all we can see is absolute silence - not a single word from Axl, "I have no idea" from Slash and that's it. that makes me think there's lot of legal things behind the curtains and everybody is under some kind of legal agreement with many pages.

gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 07:28:30 AM »

I can picture a moment or two where Izzy and Steven will appear with this lineup live but as a recording band I think it would be Frank and Richard. They're gonna be the touring band I think. If the original five guys did record a new song I'd say it would be awesome but it's still gonna be awesome with Richard and Frank. Guns music has evolved over the years through the introduction of different musicians. Slash's distinct guitar sound and Duffs thumping bass lines along with Stevens rhythm and Izzys guitar bouncing off Slash is what gave most of us the idea of what was the Guns n Roses sound. And of course Axls screeching vocals. Then UYI albums came along and there was stuff we never thought we'd hear this band play like November Rain and Estranged. This band had evolved again and took on a new drummer who added his own style to it. A very different sound came out with Chin Dem and that's because we've a bunch of new musicians. Now we are getting to hear that old sound again along with two 'new' musucians (frank & Richard) There's no doubt this Guns n Roses will be awesome. If you've been to a Slash show you'll know that sound and hear how those songs sound when Slash plays them. His guitar and Axl's vocals go well together. We're going to have an amazing new Guns N Roses. We will still see Izzy and Steven make guest appearances and maybe the classic lineup could record a song for some good cause or something. Whatever happens from here can be amazing once Axl has buried the hatchet with all these guys. With the way rock stars are dying lately it's good that things like this happen and people get rid of any negativity lurking away in their souls
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:39:08 AM by gcluskey » Logged

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »

Things will never be the same again. It can be awesome, but it will be different even if the 5 original guys were there. And it's all good to me, I'm different too now.

gunslipk
Opening Act

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »

Of course it's not gonna be the same thing, and it was not supposed to be.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »

I think there's a lot of people who just didn't considered it otherwise.

draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »

It won't be the same. You have to look at it like this. Slash and Duff are fathers now. They are no longer the two guys that accepted awards from the American Music Awards show while being drunk and saying the f word along with "oops". They've changed. Axl has changed with Beta.  It's different. I do think they'll create some awesome music and really be an influence to younger bands. However, it'll never be the same again. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »

No shot.

They were the biggest rock band in the world during their prime.  Them, or U2.  They are never getting that back.

And we don't even know if there will ever be even one original song from whatever this new line-up winds up being. 

We might well be getting nothing but some more touring playing similar setlists, just with the added benefit of the material being played by more of the guys that actually made it.  I think expecting anything more than that is not realistic.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »

No shot.

They were the biggest rock band in the world during their prime.  Them, or U2.  They are never getting that back.

And we don't even know if there will ever be even one original song from whatever this new line-up winds up being. 

We might well be getting nothing but some more touring playing similar setlists, just with the added benefit of the material being played by more of the guys that actually made it.  I think expecting anything more than that is not realistic.

Exactly, this.  And the funny thing is that even if they defy the odds (again) and drop an album that's on par with Appetite or The Illusions...It's just not what's commercially viable right now.  Sad, but all too true. 

That's not to say that they still can't enjoy incredible financial success from touring and releasing music.  But THE band?  I think that ship sailed in '93. And that's okay.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:05:10 AM by sofine11 » Logged
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »

You guys didn't take my point...
I didn't ask about past or future...Apsolutely nobody don't except old band and other shit...
I only ask can they be a band...Group of musican with chemistry and other things
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 11:04:08 AM »

I didn't ask about past or future...Apsolutely nobody don't except old band and other shit...
I only ask can they be a band...Group of musican with chemistry and other things

I think I did.

I don't really see where we have anything more than a different touring band.  Just a better one.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 11:04:38 AM »

Well if that's your question then I don't think anyone will know for sure until April 8.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »

Well if that's your question then I don't think anyone will know for sure until April 8.

I concur.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »

I don't see why the band won't sound good come April 8th.

Each successive line-up has never failed to play the songs right. 

How would that be a problem adding back some of the originals?

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »

This reunion presumably means Axl first of all have repaired the broken friendship with Slash. Duff and Axl have already spent time together over the past years, so it seems they have been good for a while.

If the basis of the reunion tour is friendships being restored, that is a very good thing. It bodes well for them having much more fun while on stage, and it could create a creative environment off the road which may culminate in new music.

If the reunion is purely driven by money ? which I actually doubt, given that Axl has repeatedly turned down offers through the years, it will be a going-through-the-motions kind of deal. Money is involved of course, but I don't think these guys would have done this while still being unfriendly with each other.

So, yes, I think there's a good chance they will feel that this is a band again.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
gnrrock
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »

Absolutely.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »

Best case scenario, they write an album together, and it's Good in the artistic sense (commercially I don't give a fuck), kind of like one of those Stones Albums that didnt sell very well, but when you go back and listen to them they are awesome even if there's no ''Sister morphine'' or "Satisfaction".

Worst case scenario. They do the 5 tours that Tommy mentioned and that's it.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Princess Leia
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »

Based only on the last South American tour when Duff joined the band. I think  chemistry was better than I thought it would be. But chemistry between Axl and Slash or the whole band with Slash I have to wait for the shows to see if it is there.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: