Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Def Leppard disses Guns N' Roses reunion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Def Leppard disses Guns N' Roses reunion  (Read 36084 times)
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« on: February 02, 2016, 01:05:53 PM »

I like Def Leppard alright, but I didn't like this read much.

This is the relevant part towards Gn'R. Article link is below. What do you guys think?

?We obviously think it?s really f****** lame. I love Guns N? Roses, I think they?re really cool, I?d love to see Slash and Axl and Duff play together, that?s great. But I think it?s f****** lame considering we?ve been hardcore,? he snarls. ?Our integrity?s still intact, we?ve never split up. We?ve gone through if someone had a little sniffle or something, we soldier on.?

He has a point. Def Leppard survived the death of guitarist Steve Clark in 1991 from alcoholism, drummer Rick Allen losing his left arm in a car accident in 1984, and co-guitarist Vivian Campbell?s diagnosis with Hodgkin?s Lymphoma in 2013. Guns N? Roses fell apart after barely 10 years, leaving singer Axl Rose to surround himself with an ever-revolving carousel of fill-in performers.

?Someone dies, someone loses an arm, someone gets cancer, we soldier on. [With Guns N? Roses] if someone has a little barney backstage, they can?t deal with each other. I know it?s difficult, but I do think it?s pretty lame when you compare anyone else to us.?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/02/02/def-leppard-guns-n-roses-reunion-its-really-f-lame/

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »

I see what they are going for.

But the reality is that they didn't split up over money.  They didn't split up over a woman.  They didn't split up over some common occurrence.

They split up because Axl was crazy. 

As such, I have always felt other band's situations can't really be compared to GNR's because only GNR had the variable of Axl Rose.  No other band did.  Eagles, Van Halen, etc.  I have never accepted these as examples that relate to GNR's situation, because I don't think they are analogous.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 01:15:26 PM »

I do agree with you. Gn'R's history is very unique. Very different in so many ways.

Never has a mainstream band lost everyone and started over with just the singer/frontman left right?

All of them had their issues, but I also blame Axl for most of it. Like 60-70% of the problems that Gn'R had whether it was long recording issues, coming on late etc.

I give him 100% blame for everything summer of 1994 onwards.

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »

Never has a mainstream band lost everyone and started over with just the singer/frontman left right?

Can't think of one that worked.

I know that loony tune singer for Days Of The New sacked the whole band and started over.  But they weren't exactly Guns N' Roses in terms of legacy or status.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:09 PM »

this ought to be good.....popcorn anyone?

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »

this ought to be good.....popcorn anyone?

Hahahaha

I don't see Def Lep getting a lot of support here.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »

Yeah Def Lep have some good songs, and I respect them, but some things go south in bands.

Really south. It happens. I think Def Lep are completely out of line.

COming from their point of view it might all seem really silly to them though.

But don't damn me
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 01:29:38 PM »

The great ones don't last too long (i.e./ Mike Tyson) but during their time there's nothing better

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »

Yeah Def Lep have some good songs, and I respect them, but some things go south in bands.

Really south. It happens. I think Def Lep are completely out of line.

Coming from their point of view it might all seem really silly to them though.

Well, that's the thing.  No one ever really knew.

It wasn't a clear cut case of someone fucking someone's wife, or some dispute over money.

For years, when asked why GNR broke up, the answer was always the same : "That's just Axl, man.  He's crazy."

Axl's reasons for his behavior might have been 100% valid.  But without knowing, people just leave it at the boilerplate, almost clich? answer.

Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »

I don't really care about their comment. Just another seek for media attention.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
jamillos22
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »

This smells of yet another bullshit headline. Isn?t all he?s saying that Guns can?t be compared to DL as to what they?ve been through? He?s not saying the reunion itself is lame!

Hell has frozen over.
gnrrock
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »

Jealousy is pretty lame...
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 01:54:29 PM »

I do agree with you. Gn'R's history is very unique. Very different in so many ways.

All of them had their issues, but I also blame Axl for most of it. Like 60-70% of the problems that Gn'R had whether it was long recording issues, coming on late etc.

I give Axl 100% credit for keeping the band going after Slash and Duff QUIT.

Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »

Lol...So GNR reunites for the first time in 23 years and they get more press and excitement with 3-4 shows than Def Leppard has since the Regan administration.  Someone's peanut butter and jealous.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »

Lol...So GNR reunites for the first time in 23 years and they get more press and excitement with 3-4 shows than Def Leppard has since the Regan administration.  Someone's peanut butter and jealous.

Are they still bragging about playing more state fairs than The Beatles?

Like that's some great thing?

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »

Are they still bragging about playing more state fairs than The Beatles?

Like that's some great thing?

Hey, nothing helps fried dough and cheese curds digest like a little Pour Some Sugar on Me.  hihi
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »

Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.

Right that is one way to looked at it... and your tryhard desperate attempt at that play on words was cute for sure.

Knew you'd comment. You always have some backwards/abrasive opinion.

Yeah he does get 100% credit for keeping the band going after Duff/Slash/Matt/Gilby etc..

For that, after they all left. We got Oh My God in 1999, and what? 4 or 5 shows from 1997-2001? That's keeping it together alright  confused

We also got only 1 album. So I wouldn't give Axl too much credit. While the 1 album we did get was great... it simply took way too long to come out. The original Gn'R took their time with albums for sure.

3 full length original albums from 86 to 1991. And just over 4 years from AFD and UYI. Took Axl 9 or 10 years with like 12 different band members to get 1 album out. I wouldn't give him too much praise. Besides he forced everyone else out trying to be a child about it all... and wanted to own the name etc...

Stop being such an Axl Rose mark. I love him too, but come on man. We all know he ruined old Gn'R. Stop giving him so much credit for "keeping" gn'r alive.

I'm glad we got the 1 album. BUt you're giving too much credit over.

And what about those many tour dates from 2003-2005? oh wait... Roll Eyes

But don't damn me
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 05:23:10 PM »

Right that is one way to looked at it... and your tryhard desperate attempt at that play on words was cute for sure.

Knew you'd comment. You always have some backwards/abrasive opinion.

Yeah he does get 100% credit for keeping the band going after Duff/Slash/Matt/Gilby etc..

For that, after they all left. We got Oh My God in 1999, and what? 4 or 5 shows from 1997-2001? That's keeping it together alright  confused

We also got only 1 album. So I wouldn't give Axl too much credit. While the 1 album we did get was great... it simply took way too long to come out. The original Gn'R took their time with albums for sure.

3 full length original albums from 86 to 1991. And just over 4 years from AFD and UYI. Took Axl 9 or 10 years with like 12 different band members to get 1 album out. I wouldn't give him too much praise. Besides he forced everyone else out trying to be a child about it all... and wanted to own the name etc...

Stop being such an Axl Rose mark. I love him too, but come on man. We all know he ruined old Gn'R. Stop giving him so much credit for "keeping" gn'r alive.

I'm glad we got the 1 album. BUt you're giving too much credit over.

And what about those many tour dates from 2003-2005? oh wait... Roll Eyes

How old are you?

I've been to many, many great GNR shows since 1996...I'm thankful the band carried on and I enjoy Chinese Democracy as well as Appetite For Democracy CD/DVD/Blu-ray.

I'm thankful the band didn't end in 1996, regardless of your little various opinions and assumptions.

Imagine that, a supportive and positive GNR fan on a GNR forum, what a novel concept!!

How revolutionary !  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:27:31 PM by EmilyGNR » Logged

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »

You really need some new stuff...

I like the Post 1997 Guns N' Roses. I saw them live. They were just amazing. I think CD is one of the most underrated albums ever.

You are simply giving Axl Rose too much credit. Yeah I'm glad he continued on too. That isn't in question.

You just tried to turn Axl burning down bridges in the old Gn'R and ignoring that... into that you give him credit for New Gn'R?

What is the point is that? You just won't acknowledge that he screwed up the old band in the first place. It's clear that he had the most to do with it.

You even made "quit" stick out. It means nothing. We know why they quit lol

Its all good. They are back together. Should be great.

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 06:04:08 PM »

I just wish Axl had done more with it and given it a real shot. I think that's a bigger gripe than the break-up, to be honest.

It's crazy that both incarnations of his band have a serious case of what might have been.  Different levels, but same general concept.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: