Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Irving Azoff Denies Pressuring Axl Rose to Reunite Classic Lineup
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Irving Azoff Denies Pressuring Axl Rose to Reunite Classic Lineup  (Read 12055 times)
McKenzie
Headliner

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

« on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »

Q. Recently it was announced that Guns N? Roses would be reuniting for Coachella. You once briefly managed the band, and Axl Rose said that you had tried to pressure him into reuniting the original group.

A. I would never go to an artist and say, ?I want you to reunite.? If he had asked me if I thought it was a good idea, I would have said yes. But by the way, nobody tells Axl to do anything. He does what he wants to do.

Slash and Duff McKagan are terrific people. Axl is a complicated individual that I wish nothing but success for. I think this is a good historical moment that the public deserves to see. I hope it happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/arts/music/a-word-with-irving-azoff-a-hard-charging-artists-manager.html?_r=2
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:23 PM »

The sentiment is shared by many.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 10:06:37 PM »

I would never go to an artist and say, ?I want you to reunite.?

He kinda avoids the accusation Axl made against him here. As far as I remember it's true that Azoff didn't outright say that to Axl, but it was his actions the led Axl to believe that was his motive.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:43:33 PM »

Yeah, he did it in the shadows. Not directly.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 05:31:27 PM »

Yeah, thats a pretty non denial denial.

he didnt walk up to axl and say "you should reunite" be ause he knows axl would have told him to hit the bricks.

What he did not say s "no, i never said or did anything to try to positin gnr so that its best and only option was a reunion".

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 06:51:50 PM »

More Promotion For World Tour 2016

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:17:28 AM »

We should be hearing something soon! Hope they have a good NA run.

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 08:45:30 AM »

Any competent manager would be derelict in his duty if he did not at least ask the question.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »

Any competent manager would be derelict in his duty if he did not at least ask the question.

No they wouldn't. The only question that mattered was who works for who... QED
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »

Depends if you hired a manager to manage your career or cater to your feelings.

Business wise, some sort of reunion is the obvious move.  The only reason to NOT suggest it is if you are worried Axl might get his feelings hurt and fire you.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »

Business wise, some sort of reunion is the obvious move.  The only reason to NOT suggest it is if you are worried Axl might get his feelings hurt and fire you.

It makes sense when we're talking about a young, inexperienced artist that the manager's role is to help guide that artist.

With Axl, you have an artist who knows what he wants. He had a vision and goals that the manager was to help him achieve.

I would think Axl laid it all down for Azoff when he got hired, then expected him to do whatever to achieve that. Not go his own ways.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »

It makes sense when we're talking about a young, inexperienced artist that the manager's role is to help guide that artist.

With Axl, you have an artist who knows what he wants. He had a vision and goals that the manager was to help him achieve.

I would think Axl laid it all down for Azoff when he got hired, then expected him to do whatever to achieve that. Not go his own ways.

I guess i should probably know the reasons...but they were never clear to me... what exactly did the guy do to "sabotage" the band at that time?

Was that ever laid out... or we just take Axl's word that he did indeed try to sabotage them and force his hand in reuniting?

I do know that he was in charge when the record was released... and selfishly.. that was fine by me.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »

I guess i should probably know the reasons...but they were never clear to me... what exactly did the guy do to "sabotage" the band at that time?

Was that ever laid out... or we just take Axl's word that he did indeed try to sabotage them and force his hand in reuniting?

I do know that he was in charge when the record was released... and selfishly.. that was fine by me.

I read the lawsuit brief a few years back, and it only very broadly states that he intentionally sabotaged the release of Chinese Democracy with the intention of leaving Axl desperate with the only option being to reunite.  Hard to prove, I imagine.  You'd basically have to read Azoff's mind to know for sure what his intentions were.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »

I read the lawsuit brief a few years back, and it only very broadly states that he intentionally sabotaged the release of Chinese Democracy with the intention of leaving Axl desperate with the only option being to reunite.  Hard to prove, I imagine.  You'd basically have to read Azoff's mind to know for sure what his intentions were.

Yeah. I had only skimmed it a few years back.. so yeah basically nothing concrete.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 03:57:31 PM »

Yeah. I had only skimmed it a few years back.. so yeah basically nothing concrete.

Didn't Azoff "win" the suit, with the condition being he got a percentage of the 2011/12 tour dates? I thought that was part of the settlement.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 04:00:35 PM »

Only thing I thought was damning was Azoff talking about that tour with Van Halen like it was a real thing.

Only for word to get back to Van Halen and be like "wait...what?"

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »

Only thing I thought was damning was Azoff talking about that tour with Van Halen like it was a real thing.

Only for word to get back to Van Halen and be like "wait...what?"

I don't understand what his thinking was there.  The band even got together in L.A. and rehearsed for a couple months, only for them all very quietly returning home with zero explanation. Why dangle that carrot in front of the band?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:09:59 PM by sofine11 » Logged
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »

You constantly harp on this notion that Axl is somehow this super sensitive person that has no concept of how the music business works or how/when his art should be presented.

Know your client.  IMO, Azoff didn't.  He thought he was bigger than the client.  It got his ass fired.

It appears by this current statement of his, Azoff now acknowledges that error in judgement:
Azoff: But by the way, nobody tells Axl to do anything. He does what he wants to do.

For whatever reason back then the timing and circumstances wasn't right for the rejoining.  Obviously now that has changed.  Now the circumstances apparently are in alignment with Axl's artistic & business sense and timing.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »

You constantly harp on this notion that Axl is somehow this super sensitive person that has no concept of how the music business works or how/when his art should be presented.

I'm hardly the one that considers him a delicate flower who's personal feelings need to be considered at all times.

I make fun of those people, actually.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 05:39:32 PM »

I make fun of those people, actually.

Without knowing these people, I'll go out of line here and assume, that the feeling is mutual....  rofl

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: