Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:40:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227784 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  GNR Keyboardist CHRIS PITMAN Apologizes For Calling Reunion 'Nostalgia Tour'
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR Keyboardist CHRIS PITMAN Apologizes For Calling Reunion 'Nostalgia Tour'  (Read 39163 times)
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2016, 10:55:02 AM »

Sure beats the shit out of sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "la-la-la-la-la", no?  What's that getting you?

The reality is that Axl's ability to deliver is a big deal to this venture's viability.  Should that concern only be expressed by complete silence and denial, like the family member with the drinking problem we just all look the other way on?

Well, there's probably a lot of other things you could talk about.

For instance:

• Will there be new video content at the shows?
  • What will the intro music be?
  • Will the piano fly this time?
  • Will Richard switch up his guitar rig for a 2 guitar band?
  • Will they perform on Jimmy Kimmel?
  • Will they perform on Jimmy Fallon?

...and that's just off the top of my head. A bunch of people talking about a 'venture's viability' like they're businessmen funding it instead of randoms on the internet sure seems weird to me.

This is cool! Why shit on something before it's started?

Your first bullet point should be :

- Will Axl's vocals be up to par ?

If not, nothing else will matter!

If so, my excitement will know no boundaries :

- Will they dig deep into the classic back catalogue ?
- Will they finally switch up the setlists from night to night ?
- Will they get rid of the ridiculous video segments, light walls, dancers etc ... and return to the setup of a classic rock band ?
- Will Frank, Pitman and Fortus be behind a curtain  Grin
- Will there be chemistry like in the old days ?
- Will some of the legacy be restored  ok

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »

- Will Axl's vocals be up to par ?

If not, nothing else will matter!

If so, my excitement will know no boundaries

I agree in principle, but take this in a slightly different direction.

Absolutely agree Axl's voice that most important thing.  But probably not to us.

Let's face it, we are all in no matter how he sounds.  Even he sounds shaky, we will be pretty split between people in total denial that he sounds awesome, and people that concede its a bit hit or miss, but who the hell cares?  I don't think, even if he sounds iffy, it will matter to any of us.  We're all still going.

But, its going to matter to the non-diehards that haven't been holding out hope for this miracle for 20 years.  Not like everyone lives and dies with this like we all do. 

So, in that sense, since I want to see this be as wildly successful as any rock tour of the past few years, I think its important he sounds good.  I want this to be as screaming a success as it can be. 

But for that to happen, the appeal needs to be wider than just diehard fans.  Stadium tours need casuals too.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »

Absolutely agree Axl's voice that most important thing.  But probably not to us.

But what about Slash or Duff ?

Can you imagine Duff going 'hey man I played with Axl in South America and his voice was KILLER man!!!' and proceeds to convince Slash to reunite ?

I mean, these guys have internet right ?  They MUST be aware of the state of his voice ?

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »

They MUST be aware of the state of his voice ?

And what exactly is the state of his voice?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »

This ^^

I saw GNR numerous times in 2014 and he sounded great, just as Duff tweeted from SA.

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »

Lately?  Hit or miss.  But when we last saw him, more hit than miss.

I tend to think he will be ready for this.  This is hardly the time for "I haven't even been to a rehearsal in 2 years, LOLZ" type of approach.

I think he knows that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2016, 05:06:30 AM »

This ^^

I saw GNR numerous times in 2014 and he sounded great, just as Duff tweeted from SA.

If you can live with the state of his voice since 2001 (even on the album), and how it's been declining progressively up till 2014, then great, good for you !

Personally, I have grave problems getting through listening to a complete show, BUT I am VERY ready to be proven wrong and be blown away come April 8th !

I've always wondered about stuff like that Duff tweet.  I mean c'mon, even if those guys never saw or heard any live footage, but played the album on November 23rd 2008... they must have thought 'ok, great, not too shabby, but what's with the vocals ?  Why on earth is he singing like that ?'

I always wonder about Axl himself as well.  Does he know ?  Doesn't anybody tell him ??

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2016, 07:41:20 AM »

What are you talking about? His vocals on CD are way more diverse and outstanding. You may not like how he sings with his clean voice too, but those high notes are far from being "declining progressively".

To me, it was up and downs. By far, the 2006/2007 vocals were his best ever IMHO.

Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2016, 07:45:40 AM »

This ^^

If you can live with the state of his voice since 2001 (even on the album), and how it's been declining progressively up till 2014, then great, good for you
I always wonder about Axl himself as well.  Does he know ?  Doesn't anybody tell him ??

Well I think he sure knows what's going on. But it probably wouldn't make sense to go public about it.

Why does he sound shaky, iffy, mickey mousy, whatever?

Possibilities:
1) he just can't do any better because he doesn't "train" his voice
2) his vocal cords are damaged due to his past bad-ass performances where he gave all he got
3) he can sound raspy (not as raspy as he used to sound but hey, he gets older...) if he wants to but his voice doesn't endure the stress in the long run

well, something along those lines...

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2016, 07:56:09 AM »

you can live with the state of his voice since 2001 (even on the album), and how it's been declining progressively up till 2014, then great, good for you !

I've always wondered about stuff like that Duff tweet.  I mean c'mon, even if those guys never saw or heard any live footage, but played the album on November 23rd 2008... they must have thought 'ok, great, not too shabby, but what's with the vocals ?  Why on earth is he singing like that ?'

There have certainly been ups and downs but I don't see how you can say it's a progressive decline. 2014 was much better than the previous few years... As far as the album criticism, I have problems with the some songs here and there... too many layers (echoed in an interview with Tommy) and a few songs I just don't get, but Axl's vocals are on point across the entirety of the recording... The only thing I will give you is the weird 'gay vampire' thing he does during Sorry on the 'but I don't want to do it' line.
Ringoturtle
Headliner

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2016, 07:58:41 AM »

What are you talking about? You may not like how he sings with his clean voice too, but those high notes are far from being "declining progressively".

I'm talking about live performances.
well, it's not all about hitting high notes. Axl is well known for his high AND RASPY voice. take away the rasp and he sounds like a shadow of his former self. sure, there are people who may like his clean voice but the majority digs his raspy voice. don't need any scientific statistics. "funny side note. a lot of people gave Myles' hell for his clean/nasal voice but where defending Axls clean voice no matter what. strange world.

I mean, Axl gets older and I assumme that it's much harder to keep your voice in shape (to sound like you sounded in your twenties) than your guitar playing for example. but to pretend Axl sounds like he used to sound back then is just complete denial.

I hope he sounds bad ass on april 8!

All my statements represent MY OPINION. If not, I'll say so by posting references or the like
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »

Maybe 'progressively declining' wasn't the right way to put it, some years were worse than others  Grin

Seriously, certain parts of certain songs for certain years were kinda ok.  For example '06 and '10.  But then again, every time a ballad (or a cleaner singing part) came around, it was straight back to cringe time.  'November Rain' for example has been unbearable for years now.

I said this before elsewhere, I really think he was told to sing this way after the mid nineties.  He must have consulted someone (or several people) about his voice after the UYI tour, because he had been singing technically 'wrong' for years, and was probably looking for a solution.  I think if he went on as before, he would have damaged or even lost his voice permanently.  He must have felt that even during the UYI tour.

Whoever he consulted probably instructed him to adapt a different singing technique, in order to preserve his voice.  It's probably technically better, and healthier, but it sounds like shit.  He still has (for the most part) the same range, he's just using a different technique.  Through the years from time to time he resorts back to his old habits for certain (parts of) songs, but I don't think we'll ever see him returning to his old technique/voice sound full time.

And hey, if it's that or losing/damaging his voice permanently, I understand and respect that completely !  But then in my opinion the discussion shifts to the issue of 'should he retire or not' ...

As for the album, I don't like his singing technique/style.  It's an amazing but flawed masterpiece.  It could have been so much better.  But that's a different story !

It's something that always comes up in conversation with casual fans or observers, 'GNR ? Axl ? Yeah, they used to be great but he can't sing anymore, and he's surrounded by nobody's'...

Axl as a singer and frontman was unrivaled from '85 to '95  ok

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: