Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Slash on Atlas Shrugged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash on Atlas Shrugged  (Read 29095 times)
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »

Are you serious? Buckethead, Robin, Tommy, Brain and the others helped to create those songs. It would be disrespectful to erase their parts.

I disagree. This is Axl's machine. He wrote the words for it in some way, either as solo writer or a co-writer. He "owns" the name right boys?

We all love that aspect of him owning the name right? So he can do whatever he wants right...?  hihi

For a song that's been in the bucket for going on 17 years now... does it really matter if its being re-recorded by the original/main (save it on Tracii) guitarist?

I'm sure SLash will put his own spin on the track anyways. He's not going to be playing "someone" else's riff that's for sure.

Over the last 16 years... other people mostly have been playing Slash's riffs and Izzy's riffs...

Like I said... that's that.

Yes, at concerts and sessions. They didn't replaced Slashs guitar work on unreleased studio tracks. There is a difference

They actually did something similar when Axl had them re-record Appetite... we heard part of that during the credits of Big Daddy, and if Axl had his way we would have heard it during Black Hawk Down.

I talked about material from the unreleased 1995/1996 album. Nothing from that was used on Chinese Democracy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:48:56 PM by Sosso » Logged

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »

I talked about material from the unreleased 1995/1996 album. Nothing from that was used on Chinese Democracy.

What's the difference, they aren't releasing a new album... the speculation is that 1 or 2 songs would be on a Greatest Hits, I don't see how that is different than the CD era members re recording Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven's parts for a re-released album or a few soundtracks.
Virolec
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »

If this stuff is indeed going to be released, and if Slash has indeed added new guitar work to it, then the only reason to leave Ron's parts on there is if they really, really good.  If there's a truly amazing solo on there, and it happens to be Ron's, I would imagine it'll be left on it. 

Nargle them.  Fargle them.  Nargle-fargle them.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »

Oh ok, thanks. I'll search for some more info. Smiley

"Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own studio...
But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song." (Bumblefoot, Eat More Heat, March 2013)
http://www.gnrevolution.com/song.php?pid=253206#p253206
Thanks. This one I remember, I may have actually watched the streaming live by that time. But I didn't find info about two solos and Buckethead being on it.
There is no info of Buckethead being on the track. Brian May worked on CITR and Atlas, and then years later Ron.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 10:05:47 AM »

Yeah, I now remember May's involvement. Thanks.

It's interesting. The official version is that Brian May was called in first because Axl was too attached to some of Robin's work when he left in 1999 and he thought about asking May because he knew it would be something as good or better. But then he replaced May with Bumblefoot for both Catcher and Atlas. He could have brought back Robin's work on those songs, but didn't want it for some reason. As much as love Robin, I think the real reason is that Axl wasn't satisfied with Robin's work on those tracks to begin with. We don't know if Bucket got involved on those songs either.

This is the reason why MSL may have thought about including Atlas in this rumor, if he made it up. Because it's possible that Axl would have thought about including Slash in Atlas. It's clear that the song had potential, but the lead work was somewhat troublesome. And who better to solve this problem than Slash?

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 12:59:39 PM »

Sorry, but who or what is MSL ?

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 01:06:11 PM »

Read the first post. Is the guy who originated the rumor the article is based on. Also, leaked some CD demos back in the day. And a major bullshitter.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 05:31:17 PM »

Does that mean that there a two solos on that song (from both Slash and Bumblefoot) or just one solo from Slash?

First post doesnt lead me to the MLS thing?

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »

First post doesnt lead me to the MLS thing?
Oh, I see, it was removed or something. Anyways, it is what I said: just some guy on the internet. Not really relevant to the discussion at all.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2016, 11:03:23 PM »

OK.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 12:42:11 AM »

Are you serious? Buckethead, Robin, Tommy, Brain and the others helped to create those songs. It would be disrespectful to erase their parts.

I disagree. This is Axl's machine. He wrote the words for it in some way, either as solo writer or a co-writer. He "owns" the name right boys?

We all love that aspect of him owning the name right? So he can do whatever he wants right...?  hihi

For a song that's been in the bucket for going on 17 years now... does it really matter if its being re-recorded by the original/main (save it on Tracii) guitarist?

I'm sure SLash will put his own spin on the track anyways. He's not going to be playing "someone" else's riff that's for sure.

Over the last 16 years... other people mostly have been playing Slash's riffs and Izzy's riffs...

Like I said... that's that.

Yes, at concerts and sessions. They didn't replaced Slashs guitar work on unreleased studio tracks. There is a difference

They actually did something similar when Axl had them re-record Appetite... we heard part of that during the credits of Big Daddy, and if Axl had his way we would have heard it during Black Hawk Down.

I never want to hear the re-recorded AFD. It would just be interesting, but bad. I'm sure the fans of Nu Gn'R would act like its better etc... you can copy something in a different "heavier" style and then think its better. The original will always win.

Just like Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven somewhat... those guys along with Axl make Gn'R what made it so great. Not a revolving door of average to good guitarists.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 11:23:18 AM »

I never want to hear the re-recorded AFD. It would just be interesting, but bad. I'm sure the fans of Nu Gn'R would act like its better etc... you can copy something in a different "heavier" style and then think its better. The original will always win.
This is just a lazy argument. Not always the original is better. I much prefer GNR version of KOHD instead of the Dylan's original. Or much better, All Along The Watchtower from Hendrix is miles aways better than Dylan's original. And it's not because both are "heavier".

In the re-recorded AFD case, it's obviously a matter of taste. Or something else, because you already decided it is bad without hearing it.

I'm not even sure why this is relevant anyways. It was just for "rehearsals" or learning. I do believe Axl wanted to release it at some point, but it's clearly not the case since early 2000's. And since Slash and Duff is back, let's just move on.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »

Lazy argument? ANd you use 1 song covered that is better compared to the original? I'm talking about an entire album covered. That is different. You can't cover an entire album with 1 original member and it be deemed to be better?

You just can't do that. Because they are "covering" songs that were done with other people besides Axl. TOo many fucking liberals in this world.

But don't damn me
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 03:47:15 PM »

Lazy argument? ANd you use 1 song covered that is better compared to the original? I'm talking about an entire album covered. That is different. You can't cover an entire album with 1 original member and it be deemed to be better?
Maybe you should read again, I used two. But I have some others, like GNR playing Sailing or The Beatles' early rocks (Twist and Shout, Roll Over Bethoven) or Johnny Cash's NIN cover Hurt. But I have a feeling it wouldn't work out because you would say it's just my personal preferences.

Also, I didn't say it would be better, I didn't hear it either. I was just poiting out your conception that "The original will always win". And all I said was: not always.

You just can't do that. Because they are "covering" songs that were done with other people besides Axl. TOo many fucking liberals in this world.
WTF was that? Just stop it and get back to what's actually been discussed.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »

If you consider the rerecorded AFD a set of covers then fine.
But in this case one might argue that is not the case.

It feels wrong because of Axl's presence.

Its like Black Sabbath recording the early records with DIO.
That would be odd

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »

I happen to like SCOM from Big Daddy with the ending played by Robin and Paul, I was one of the few who loved Robin's version of that solo. I feel I wouldn't like their take on WTTJ, tho, based on the live version. I don't care about who played what and how many went in and out before. As long as I like it, I see no harm. The original song is still there, it wouldn't hurt legacy like the Star Wars special editions.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »

Any re-recorded AFD would be met with instant pushback because we've been listening to the one we've come to know for 30 years.

Ozzy tried to pull this shit.  He re-mastered his back catalog, but has some of the guitar parts redone to avoid having to pay royalties to the people that did them.  The fans howled.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2016, 01:49:16 PM »

Any re-recorded AFD would be met with instant pushback because we've been listening to the one we've come to know for 30 years.

Ozzy tried to pull this shit.  He re-mastered his back catalog, but has some of the guitar parts redone to avoid having to pay royalties to the people that did them.  The fans howled.

Yep, hello! Not everything is a liberal and "it's okay" world. Some things just don't need f'd with. I would listen to it, but considering its probably the 2nd or 3rd greatest album in 30 years, and definitely the #1 debut in the last 30 years... I just don't think you could touch it.

You would get new Gn'R players from the late 90s playing songs already perfected by original members. It would really just kill it for me. I mean what could they do? Have heavier guitars? and vocal effects? It's a joke.

But don't damn me
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

I think you hate more liberals than the CD members. Just get over it. I will, as it's a waste of time trying to have a decent discussion in this thread.

EmilyGNR
Legend

GNR Loyalty

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 02:14:39 PM »

I would like to hear this if it is ever made available...

From the Kurt Loder Interview:

Rose :
No, no, that's not true at all. In fact, actually, I have re-recorded "Appetite" and--

Loder :
You re-recorded "Appetite For Destruction?"

Rose :
Yes, I have.

Loder :
The whole album?

Rose :
Yes.

Loder :
Whoa.

Rose :
Well, with the exception of two songs, because we replaced those with "You Could Be Mine," and "Patience," and why do that? Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that.

Loder :
Who are the musicians who have re-recorded "Appetite?"

Rose :
Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar -- you guys know him as Paul Huge, that's how it's been written everywhere. It's Paul Tobias on guitar, and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, but that... that will stay on some of it. Robin's guitar will stay on some, but not all. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out. But you know, it has a lot of energy. Learning the old Guns songs and getting them up, you know, putting them on tape, really forced everybody to get them up to the quality that they needed to be at. Once the energy was figured out by the new guys, how much energy was needed to get the songs right, then it really helped in the writing and recording process of the new record

http://www.w-axl-rose.com/Articles/Art_Axl_MTV_Nov_8_1999.html

"Shut the fuck up."
Unknown famous philosopher and guru
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: