Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:43:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227771 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Anyone else prefer CD to the UYIs?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else prefer CD to the UYIs?  (Read 28251 times)
CherryGarcia
Rocker

« on: March 18, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »

I used to be a huge fan of the UYI records but for a variety of reasons, lately, I've done a 180 on them. I actually think they're GNR's worst records. Great songs here and there, but plagued by terrible production and mixing which dates the records, and horrible drumming which lacks any feel. People on other forums complain about Frank or Brain, but on the UYIs, Matt sounds like a drum machine on some tracks. The guitars are mixed terribly, especially on the rhythm end, resulting in a sludgy mess. Go compare the production of the UYIs to Ten, Nevermind or any other big album of 1991 - all of those other albums sound much less dated.

CD on the other hand is solid, it's not all over the place, Axl's vocals are more consistent, the drums have a cool sound, it's a cohesive record that feels like a consistent idea, not a schizophrenic mishmash. My rating of GN'R's albums overall:

AFD
Lies
CD
TSI
UYI I
UYI II
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 03:45:58 AM »

Nope. I love the Illusions albums. They're filled with amazing tracks and I'm looking forward to hearing the songs revisited live with Slash and Duff. I'd never heard anything like it at the time. It blew me away. I admit when I first heard November Rain I had to stop the tape and pull it out to make sure I was still listening to Guns N Roses but after the first listen I thought it was class. There's gems like Don't Damn Me, Breakdown and Coma that I'm hoping we'll get to hear on this next tour. I have illusions and Appetite playing constantly in my car. I don't know when I've last listened to Chin Dem. For me, Better and IRS and There Was a Time are my favourites off that album but it lacks Slash's crunchy guitar which we will hear again in this next tour

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 04:16:27 AM »

To me the UYI's are the best two albums in the history of music. But, it's not only because of the music they hold, it's also because of the memories and how the albums are connected to my personal life. Nothing can take that place anymore Cool

And yes, CD is mixed better and is also a great album. But it's like comparing your first car to the latest one. There's just something you can't explain.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Rainfox
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »

The Use Your Illusion albums are a watershed - historically and musically. Just the fact that they are the totality of the - then - biggest band on the planet releasing everything (pretty much).

In terms of quality they're really good and I'm on board with RS giving both discs 4/5.

There are some absolute classics on there and there are some under-the-radar gems (Breakdown, Bad Apples) but at the same time, the albums haven't aged that well. In some respects, they echo the same way as many gangsta rap albums from that time did. They're dated. Rap albums by the constant year-droppings ("nineteen ninety one mothaf*'ka.. yadda yadda yadda") and Illusions it's Get in the Ring and the sound effects dating an otherwise monstrous cool song (Coma).

Chinese Democracy will age much better. Just wait.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:21 AM »

It's funny how certain ears hear things, and how opinions get applied...

If you removed all names (album and artists) and years, your take on UYI is my take (nearly word for word) on CD. I love Frank so this is not a shot at him at all, but I do feel like Brain was very mechanical, in fact to this day I really struggle figuring out what is Brain on drums and what might be Brain or Pitman using drum machines and synth for percussion/bass line sounds. To your point of 'aging' well, I think that has already failed in the past 8 years as the music was dated when it was released.

As far as a schizophrenic mishmash... that is sort of how Tommy described the recording of CD... maybe not thematically, but certainly from a production angle. Just look at the title track... there are 5 guitar players listed on that song (and more than likely even more guitar tracks) some of those tracks were laid down years apart (Bucket was out 5-6 years before the album was released and 3-4 years before Ron would have laid down his work on the track).
gunslipk
Opening Act

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »

I prefer CD to AFD. It's too 80's for me.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:52 AM »

Not even a little bit.

UYI is a great burger.  CD is Hamburger Helper without the hamburger.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »

Apples and Oranges

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:31:06 AM »

Of course not.

2 different bands.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »

Of course not.

2 different bands.

That doesn't mean you can't prefer one. Just that they are difficult to compare.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:47 AM »

Not even a little bit.

That is about right for me too.

Love UYI great mix of styles, 30 new tracks. Took 4 years to get them, but 4 years for 30 tracks or 10 years for 14?

What?

CD is good, just when the dust settles it wasn't that good. It's got some great songs on it, but I find myself listening to UYI songs more and more.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »

I love Chinese Democracy. Like every GNR album there were some songs I could care less about but my two favorite GNR songs are Rocket Queen and TWAT. I hope they play it in Vegas.

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »

It's funny how certain ears hear things, and how opinions get applied...

If you removed all names (album and artists) and years, your take on UYI is my take (nearly word for word) on CD. I love Frank so this is not a shot at him at all, but I do feel like Brain was very mechanical, in fact to this day I really struggle figuring out what is Brain on drums and what might be Brain or Pitman using drum machines and synth for percussion/bass line sounds. To your point of 'aging' well, I think that has already failed in the past 8 years as the music was dated when it was released.

As far as a schizophrenic mishmash... that is sort of how Tommy described the recording of CD... maybe not thematically, but certainly from a production angle. Just look at the title track... there are 5 guitar players listed on that song (and more than likely even more guitar tracks) some of those tracks were laid down years apart (Bucket was out 5-6 years before the album was released and 3-4 years before Ron would have laid down his work on the track).

I agree with this. Brain's drums may sound cristal clear, but it doesnt sound like a human being was playing them.
Ive said it before, but Matt's drums and the echo or reverb they had in the mix made the whole record sound grand, I think Slash said this in an interview.
Steven's contributions to AFD where in accordance to the rest of the bands contributions, they came from the street, they went fast and dirty. COWBELL !!

CD sounded dated when it came out. Similar to how the last Pink Floyd sounds.
I think some of it has to do with technology. Computer effects  sound modern when they come out, but a few years later they sound dated. Similar to trip-hop in the 90's.
I don't agree with the effects on Coma, I think they are pretty good still. Plus, the album didnt have that much of effects, and they where not really effects, but rather sounds recorded and pasted on songs.

But If Im to listen to a band for the drums I go with Black Sabbath.

Edit: I also don't agree about TEN from Pearl Jam having aged well. They remastered the album a few years ago, and while it was more clear than the original recordings it lost something. But it made me realize that the original recordings sound like they where  recorded in a hole. Which isn't so bad cause that's where the magic happened. But it definitely has issues.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:34:25 AM by Wooody » Logged

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
axlvai
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »

This is a question only for people who prefer CD over the UYIs.

What is the point here? Comparing musicians?

axlvai
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »

AFD
LIES
ILUSSIONS
CHINESE DEMOCRACY

All By Period  Cool

Bonus Track:

TSI
LIVE-ERA
GREATEST HITS

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »

the best of the Illusions beats the best of CD hands down...the elephant in the room is the Chinese material we haven't heard.

For my money, it is VERY hard to beat November Rain, Coma, Civil War, Estranged, Locomotive, Breakdown....just HUGE tracks that even TWAT kinda pales in comparison to.

My perfect world would have been CD as a double album when released in 2008....then we would have been able to properly line them up against each other.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »

the best of the Illusions beats the best of CD hands down...the elephant in the room is the Chinese material we haven't heard.

For my money, it is VERY hard to beat November Rain, Coma, Civil War, Estranged, Locomotive, Breakdown....just HUGE tracks that even TWAT kinda pales in comparison to.

My perfect world would have been CD as a double album when released in 2008....then we would have been able to properly line them up against each other.

This is a great point.  We are judging what is, essentially, half the work.

That being said, I never really bought into this notion that they willingly sat on a bunch of killer stuff and put out lesser songs.  That doesn't make much sense to me.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »

Not even a little bit.

I prefer Tuna Helper myself Clark - Cousin Eddie
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »

^ Agree with DG-X. To use a sports analogy, you play for today. It makes no sense to hold back your ace material for a later date to accomplish what? A great follow up?

As for the topic at hand: I prefer UYI to CD. Better songs across the board, iconic guitar sounds and riffs.

And dig- newer isn't always better. In many respects the fact that albums date themselves make them that much more special. Look around, every other band is talking about returning to tape and recording in the old studios of yesteryear. I love old Hank Williams albums and Motown precisely because they are a musical snapshot (old reference I know) of those eras.

Maybe in a thousand years people will look at an American muscle car and chuckle "how quaint", but take a ride in one if you can, it sure beats the hell out of a Prius. Just remember to bring your favorite cassette of Guns!

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 11:50:44 AM »

This is a question only for people who prefer CD over the UYIs.

What is the point here? Comparing musicians?

Just a discussion of opinions I think! One of the main reasons for a fan forum to exist.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: