Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Time to bring Robin back
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Time to bring Robin back  (Read 39098 times)
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »

shut the fuck up Nikki......7 more songs than Richard wrote.

1. BETTER
Work ID: 323536438

2. CATCHER IN THE RYE

Work ID: 334474378

3. CHINESE DEMOCRACY

Work ID: 334393698

4. PROSTITUTE

Work ID: 463436497

5. RIAD N' THE BEDOUINS

Work ID: 482479334

6. SHACKLER S REVENGE

Work ID: 495999098

7. STREET OF DREAMS

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:23:42 AM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 10:20:55 AM »

and the 2 songs played by the newest version of the new band were co-written by Robin. Apparently, Slash doesn't have a problem playing songs by Robin.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:56:41 AM by sky dog » Logged

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »

Those are all ChiDem songs.  Again, nothing of significance.

He was even sloppy on his OWN songs !

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »

The guy wrote close to nothing for GNR and butchered classic guitar solos on a regular basis. 
That's just false. Get your facts straight. In the ASCAP and even in the correct CD booklet, Robin has many songwriting credits in several songs. It's been discussed a lot and people still thinks he only wrote Better.

Even Ashba was better !  And that's saying a lot ...
Yeah, right. Thats just your opinion and I think you're not in the majority.

Let me rephrase that.  He wrote close to nothing of significance for GNR.

And ok, maybe Ashba was just as sloppy as Robin.
Again, its just your opinion. I get you dislike the guy, but to deny his importance in thd history of the band is just plain ludicrous.

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »

The guy wrote close to nothing for GNR and butchered classic guitar solos on a regular basis. 
That's just false. Get your facts straight. In the ASCAP and even in the correct CD booklet, Robin has many songwriting credits in several songs. It's been discussed a lot and people still thinks he only wrote Better.

Even Ashba was better !  And that's saying a lot ...
Yeah, right. Thats just your opinion and I think you're not in the majority.

Let me rephrase that.  He wrote close to nothing of significance for GNR.

And ok, maybe Ashba was just as sloppy as Robin.
Again, its just your opinion. I get you dislike the guy, but to deny his importance in thd history of the band is just plain ludicrous.

I don't dislike the guy on a personal level.  I don't know him.  I am critical of his performances.

I have the same problem with Ashba.  I don't think the both of them were good enough to play the classic  GNR catalogue live.

I do think ChiDem is a great body of work, and Robin probably contributed his fair share to that material.  ChiDem really is a flawed masterpiece.

It just pales in comparison to AFD/UYI.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »

I can run with that a little bit. However, just because it pales in comparison to those 2 records (I consider UYI one long album), doesn't mean that it is "insignificant".

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »

I can run with that a little bit. However, just because it pales in comparison to those 2 records (I consider UYI one long album), doesn't mean that it is "insignificant".

Just like how I don't consider certain people true Gn'R members, you don't consider UYI 2 albums?

They differ in style, and they differ in color scheme and they are actually 2 separate discs. They are 2 albums.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 12:46:22 PM »

one recording session....only 3 full length album recording sessions. AFD, UYI, and CD.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »

I get the concept of that, they just pushed it all out.

Seems like by your standpoint YCBM, KOHD, BOB, DC should all be on Appetite then right?

Cause they were recorded then, written around then?

Just messing with ya man.

For me its 2 albums, pretty clear that it is.

UYI is harder edged mostly, less piano/keyboards aside from RAIN

UYII has more keyboards/piano and is a hint softer in tone. I think. It is pretty moot though I think. (the difference in sound)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:03:43 PM by Thorned Rose » Logged

But don't damn me
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 02:37:41 PM »

What I meant with 'insignificant' is that I consider ChiDem a great album on its own, as a seperate entity.  When viewed as a GNR album, which in my book it is not, it's insignificant though.

In the same way I consider Robin a truly gifted musician, but as a member of what constitutes (in my head) GNR, he doesn't cut it.  Maybe that set of people should have toured the album, and left the back catalogue and/or the name alone. 

It's an opinion, it's something we can discuss, it's nothing we need to fight over.

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »

If you had to describe Guns N' Roses to someone, you could leave out CD entirely and the person you were educating would not have missed a thing.

That's not to say there aren't songs there that I like.  Some, I really like.

But the album is, what as known in at the time of an emergency as, "non-essential personnel".  The album, and the subsequent line-ups, were simply a conduit for we superfans to keep Axl Rose in our lives in whatever capacity.  And in that sense, I am grateful for it all.

If a few CD songs still get played this summer, hey...salud.

However, if the people in your section happen to pick them as the only time all concert they sit down, I think one would look pretty silly chastising them for it.

It was what it was, and it got us to here.  As far as I'm concerned, its all a win.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 03:39:13 PM »

There are three important eras in GN'R history: AfD, UYI and CD. Robin was a HUGE part of the last one.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »

There are three important eras in GN'R history: AfD, UYI and CD. Robin was a HUGE part of the last one.

He was a huge part of that third one, no question.

I just think the problems start when people demand equal time and equal standing.  That's a laugh line outside GNR forums.

Doesn't mean you can't like it.  Doesn't mean I don't like it.  Hell, 'There Was A Time' is in my alltime top 10 GNR tunes. 

But I'm going to tell someone it should stand along side 'Paradise City' and 'You Could Be Mine' as its peer?  Of course not.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »

He was a huge part of that third one, no question.

I just think the problems start when people demand equal time and equal standing.  That's a laugh line outside GNR forums.

Doesn't mean you can't like it.  Doesn't mean I don't like it.  Hell, 'There Was A Time' is in my alltime top 10 GNR tunes. 

But I'm going to tell someone it should stand along side 'Paradise City' and 'You Could Be Mine' as its peer?  Of course not.

Right there with you man. "This I Love" is right up there with me, I've never made a list, but it would be in my top 10 Gn'R tunes for sure, probably around 6-8th or so. It's up there, and I think it is better than "November Rain".

The album, as a whole just isn't something that was satisfying to me. To a lot of people. When you look at it objectively, it was 1 album, 15 songs (Oh My God) in a period of 17 years as a "band", that saw 1 original member, 2 UYI members, and like 6 guitarists in total. 3 drummer since people act like Freese was an official member, I'll throw him in.

While there's nothing wrong with this, and I enjoy the album on occasion, and my "opinion" is that it is better than Lies, but under UYI albums. It just doesn't fit well.

It is a separate thing. I mean we're all in happy times now, and the happiness you see from people should be directly indicative of how much the original guys were missed (Slash and Duff).

It will always be a separate thing. It will never be together. The cohesiveness that Gn'R had was gone by 1997. When a band puts out 1 album in 17 years, and tours several times, and you only got 4-5 new songs in 97-2009 in touring.. that's not a lot.

It isn't = and people just need to realize that. Way too many people think backwards. Robin back in the band? No man. Just no.

CD was an era yes. It was a good era, but just lacked music. This sums it up, whether some of you want to believe it or not.

AFD era 1985-1989
UYI era 1990-1993
Missing period of dead silence and internal drama era 1994-1997
CD era 1998-2014

If you just look at that, the years add up a little bit in the CD era, and that is where the critques come from. People are done with this era, thank God. It was cool while it lasted, but the older guys are back, and we are all happy.

But don't damn me
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 06:13:46 PM »

You really can't deny the energy, excitement, and overall good vibes around here right now.

You have to work overtime to find shit to fight about.  Life is too goon right now in the GNRverse.

Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 06:21:56 PM »

Yeah, I agree and it's really sad you actually have peopel wanting Finck back in.

Who cares?

But don't damn me
Poops Magee
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 07:06:25 PM »

This lineup could make some serious waves musically. Fortus eats Fink's lunch.

Inland Invasion 09/23/06
Gibson Amphitheater 12/20/06
T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, 2nd show, 04/09/16
Qualcomm Stadium, 8/22/16
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »

Let's use the rethoric from Thorned Rose: who cares? As long as you like, I see no harm. We as the people actually INSIDE GNR forum should know better.

Yeah, I agree and it's really sad you actually have peopel wanting Finck back in.

Who cares?
Obviously lots of people care. But even tho there's a lot of Robin fans here, myself included, only the OP actually wanted him back now.

What me and some others are disputing is his importance to the band. Or you could always be like this guy:

[What I meant with 'insignificant' is that I consider ChiDem a great album on its own, as a seperate entity.  When viewed as a GNR album, which in my book it is not, it's insignificant though.
In my book, it is GNR. It's not a religious thing, or something sacred. It's just my favorite band and an entity that went through several changes.

Obviously, the current line-up thinks that too, as they are playing it live - hell, their press release aknowledge Chinese Democracy as its latest release. And Im not denying that Slash (and Duff) being back is fucking awesome and it gives the band a much needed breath of fresh air. I just don't disresgard everything else that happened before.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 11:29:31 PM »

Let's use the rethoric from Thorned Rose: who cares? As long as you like, I see no harm. We as the people actually INSIDE GNR forum should know better.

I agree with that wholeheartedly....

...if, and only if...

...you know that only plays among true believers.

We are not objective.  We are superfans.  We make excuses.  We rationalize.  We put forward theories that are, frankly, preposterous once you leave these four virtual walls.

So long as we can all accept that, I'm good.

It's the people that can't that I question.  Where are you living?

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »

I really don't see how any of this is relevant. Are we talking about general perception or are we just talking about who we think deserves to be in the GNR chapters as a relevant character instead of a footnote?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:52:36 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: