Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The Pitman Thing
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pitman Thing  (Read 22875 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »

I'm thinking the #GamesForDays didn't help his cause much

Totally.

The whole thing had a vibe of "where does this guy get the fuckin' balls", and then he just kept compounding it and drawing more attention to it.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 03:54:23 AM »

What if Pitman is just busy for the moment, and Reese is only replacing him temporarily ?

I know what her sister said, but it's not like she'd be in on all the details.

It'd be kinda weird for someone to pass on an opportunity like this just because they're busy with something else, but it's possible right ? 

I do agree with what someone said earlier, I don't think Slash and/or Duff said 'get the fuck out of here', I don't think their renewed working relationship with Axl works that way (yet).  If it worked like that, no way they would have settled for Fortus and Ferrer.  It's no coincidence that Reese has a connection with Brain.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »

What if Pitman is just busy for the moment, and Reese is only replacing him temporarily ?

It'd be kinda weird for someone to pass on an opportunity like this just because they're busy with something else, but it's possible right ? 

I do agree with what someone said earlier, I don't think Slash and/or Duff said 'get the fuck out of here', I don't think their renewed working relationship with Axl works that way (yet).  If it worked like that, no way they would have settled for Fortus and Ferrer.  It's no coincidence that Reese has a connection with Brain.
What did her sister say? That she's a full time member I'm guessing by the context?

IF Pitman is indeed out, and I would say he is, I think it relates to his tweets. More likely, the initial ones about Coachella. Maybe his behavior after that, whatever that may have entailed sealed his fate. But my guess is we'll probably never know the full story.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »

What did her sister say? That she's a full time member I'm guessing by the context?

IF Pitman is indeed out, and I would say he is, I think it relates to his tweets. More likely, the initial ones about Coachella. Maybe his behavior after that, whatever that may have entailed sealed his fate. But my guess is we'll probably never know the full story.

She tweeted something to the effect of 'my sister just joined GNR'.

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:21 PM »

If it worked like that, no way they would have settled for Fortus and Ferrer. 

Settled? Fortus is the best rhythm player GN'R has had. I get digging the history with Izzy and if they were to write new material I would LOVE for him to be a part of the process, seeing Izzy's aversion to being a part of a big touring rock band, in my opinion, I don't think he would have done a full tour.

And Ferrer is a damn good drummer, especially for this band, he can bridge the gap between laying a groove and being technical.

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »

Settled? Fortus is the best rhythm player GN'R has had. I get digging the history with Izzy and if they were to write new material I would LOVE for him to be a part of the process, seeing Izzy's aversion to being a part of a big touring rock band, in my opinion, I don't think he would have done a full tour.

And Ferrer is a damn good drummer, especially for this band, he can bridge the gap between laying a groove and being technical.
I think you hit the nail.

Let's talk about rythm guitar replacements. Richard Fortus is without any doubt way more capable than Paul Tobias (who also doesn't seem to like to tour) and Gilby Clarke. I'm yet to hear his approach in a two guitars band and with Slash, but I'm pretty sure he's flexible enough to get his sound to wherever its needed.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 12:08:39 AM »

I thought Gilby was fine. Didn't see any problem with him. I really like Fortus though.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »

I could barely hear him in the Illusions tour, but when I did, it was always dumbed down versions of Izzy's rhythm and little leads. Listen to any Rocket Queen live: it's really outrageous how Gilby didn't play what he was supposed to play. He had plenty of time on tour to learn it properly, but didn't. Maybe that's why in the Live Era version they didn't bother to have a 2nd guitar at all in this song.

And on TSI he only plays bland power chords with no real contribution whatsoever. His solo album is ok, IMO. Not even close to Richard's skills, tho.

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »

Settled yes.  No way Slash and/or Duff would prefer Fortus over Izzy, if having Izzy back full time was even remotely possible.  That is sadly not the case, for some reason.  So they went with someone who was already there.  Axl probably had a lot to do with that as well.

Is Fortus a better guitar player than Izzy ?  Sure. Big deal.  Izzy wrote half of, and can more than adequately play the GNR catalogue + he co-founded the fucking band, so I know who I'd prefer !

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 09:46:44 AM »

Dude, his own freakin' bandmates used to turn down his amps.

His songwriting chops are undeniable.  But let's not get carried away with how godly a live performer he supposedly is.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »

Dude, his own freakin' bandmates used to turn down his amps.

His songwriting chops are undeniable.  But let's not get carried away with how godly a live performer he supposedly is.

Where did I say that ?

Gilby's amps were turned down as well by the way.  Let's see how loud Fortus will be in the live mix !

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »

Where did I say that ?

When you said he could more adequately play the GNR catalogue, 3 posts upthread.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »

This thread should be renamed The Pitman Incident? Cool

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 10:52:37 AM »

This thread should be renamed The Pitman Incident? Cool

Hahahaha

Damn it.  You are right.

Missed opportunity by me.

Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »

Where did I say that ?

When you said he could more adequately play the GNR catalogue, 3 posts upthread.

No offence, but I never said that.  Here's what I said : 'Izzy wrote half of, and can more than adequately play the GNR catalogue.'

In fact what you misquoted was exactly my original point, Fortus is a better skilled guitarist, and yet I'd still prefer Izzy.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:09 PM »

I did misread your post.  My bad.

Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 05:23:56 PM »

Back on topic.

Where do you think Chris Pitman's legacy will stand?

Was he that instrumental for Axl in a behind the scenes aspect?

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »

Settled yes.  No way Slash and/or Duff would prefer Fortus over Izzy, if having Izzy back full time was even remotely possible.  That is sadly not the case, for some reason.  So they went with someone who was already there.  Axl probably had a lot to do with that as well.

Is Fortus a better guitar player than Izzy ?  Sure. Big deal.  Izzy wrote half of, and can more than adequately play the GNR catalogue + he co-founded the fucking band, so I know who I'd prefer !

I take no objection to preferring Izzy over Fortus. If they were writing new material I would prefer Izzy as well.

I just think the word settled is not the correct word to use in this situation, to me it implies Slash and Duff had somebody they wanted to play rhythm guitar/drums but Axl wouldn't go through with the reunion unless he got Fortus and Ferrer, so they "settled" on this. We have no idea if Slash and Duff wanted to bring in someone else, we have no authority to say they "settled" on this. If we go under the assumption that Izzy did not want to do a full blown tour (I have no way of knowing this, history leans in one direction) I think the most logical solution was going with the guy who's been playing these parts damn well for the past decade, and if I don't have my glasses on kinda looks like Izzy! Again, I'm not trying to dictate who one should prefer, I just think the word settled has a negative connotation to the 2 respective players.

As for the Pittman situation I think his (mother) Goose was cooked after his twitter comments.

Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 07:11:11 PM »

Back on topic.

I think he helped set up and show Axl some technology/synth things, I read a snippet of an interview with I believe Pittman that said he set up a synth for Axl and Axl played the intro to Madagascar on it shortly after.

Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 09:02:08 PM »

Back on topic.

I think he helped set up and show Axl some technology/synth things, I read a snippet of an interview with I believe Pittman that said he set up a synth for Axl and Axl played the intro to Madagascar on it shortly after.

I was up at his house for about a week or two, and I was setting up rack mounted samplers, and you had your fake orchestra with synthesizers. One would be the strings, one would be the brass, and I was setting that up for him, and I was going "now this module here, we?re going to us this for brass instruments and here you have horns?", and he was playing while I was switching the sounds, and I switched the sounds to French horn sound and he was playing this chord progression and I went to another sound, and he goes "oh no, go back to that one". We went back and it was the French horn sound and he kept playing this progression and it sounded really cool and I turned around and turned on the tape machine and that ended up being the very intro for the song "Madagascar". And that?s just how that evolved and he just had this chord progression and all of [a] sudden it married with the French horn and it was their super-moody song and that was the start of that song. We actually recorded it really quickly up there at his house and he just sang unbelievably on it.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3397

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: