Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Politics and concert cancelations..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Politics and concert cancelations..  (Read 7592 times)
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« on: April 19, 2016, 07:58:41 PM »

With recent concert cancelations in North Carolina by Bruce Springsteen and Pearl Jam over transgender bathroom options I am curious on opinions on this issue..Shoukd a musicians self righteousness take precedent over the thousands it effects over a canceled show..Peope, complain about GNR start times, but isn't a canceled show due to political issues even worse?
It's political due to legislation actions...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »

I understand the point they are making, because the law is a travesty.

But it sure does punish a lot of innocent fans that just want to hear their favorite band.

If I waited my whole life for this tour, for instance, which I pretty much have.  And lost my show over this bullshit, I would be one unhappy camper.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:15:08 PM »

I don't think so. I think that if a music artist or band wants to express their thoughts on the issue, that individual or band should be able to do so. Just like my employer and other corporations expressing their thought by not wanting to do business in NC and speaking out against the law.

I can't relate to the LGBT community since I am a straight guy. However, I can relate to them by being discriminated against due to my disability. I actually wish bands and music artists would do the same thing for people with disabilities. I also wish that corporations would take a stronger stance and hire more people with disabilities. Maybe then society's views will change regarding work and life for people with disabilities.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:47:15 AM »

I don't think so. I think that if a music artist or band wants to express their thoughts on the issue, that individual or band should be able to do so.

That is pretty much how I see it too.

But of course I do understand the frustration in fans who have waited for the show, especially if the cancellation is called at the last minute. Hotels and flights and everything might have been booked and money spent already.

The real problem and the cause behind everything is not the band though, and in my opinion people should direct their frustration towards the decision makers. This law is not about money or free parking, it hurts the basic human rights. I don't even know how it is possible to pass a law like that in 2016...

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 03:15:59 AM »

I don't think so. I think that if a music artist or band wants to express their thoughts on the issue, that individual or band should be able to do so.

That is pretty much how I see it too.

But of course I do understand the frustration in fans who have waited for the show, especially if the cancellation is called at the last minute. Hotels and flights and everything might have been booked and money spent already.

The real problem and the cause behind everything is not the band though, and in my opinion people should direct their frustration towards the decision makers. This law is not about money or free parking, it hurts the basic human rights. I don't even know how it is possible to pass a law like that in 2016...
It's pathetic that in 2016 we have people that are still this ignorant and bigoted. It's time for some to grow the hell up.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:55:03 AM »

These artists/bands who have cancelled shows are not playing for the state legislature that voted on the law, they are playing for fans that saved their money to see a band they like. Sure they'll get a refund on the concert tickets, but some have spent money on travel/accommodations that they wont be able to get back. Punishing the fans makes no sense, there are other ways to show their support of the LGBT community.  These bands should honor commitments already made  instead of holding fans responsible for a decision made by their state representatives.

Moving forward, bands/artists not scheduling shows there before fans could pay money for tickets, etc  would be a better route to take.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:09:29 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »

Moving forward, bands/artists not scheduling shows there before fans could pay money for tickets, etc  would be a better route to take.

But that wouldn't get as much attention. And sure, it is a shitty situation if you've already spent your money (I'd be pissed too), but on the other hand this is something I've been missing in the music business you know; trying to make a difference by actually doing something instead of just singing about "a better world blah blah" and by standing up against laws that are not from this century.

Music and politics? A good mix in my opinion.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 04:17:58 PM »

But that wouldn't get as much attention. And sure, it is a shitty situation if you've already spent your money (I'd be pissed too), but on the other hand this is something I've been missing in the music business you know; trying to make a difference by actually doing something instead of just singing about "a better world blah blah" and by standing up against laws that are not from this century.

Music and politics? A good mix in my opinion.
Agreed, and anyone who's followed Pearl Jam the last 26 years knows they never shy away from stuff like this.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 05:42:42 AM »

There is no answer to this problem
They are hitting the state for disagreeing with its poitics
They are hurting their own fans with the cancellation
Even if the majority of their fans agree with their decision, people cannot just pickup and leave their state the way a band can just decide to cancel a concert
Sucks all around for everyone, as I'm sure Pearl Jam is torn about having to dissapoint their fans
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »

The objective is to piss of enough locals that they eventually turn to their legislature and get them to change their tune.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »

"If North Carolina truly cared they would copy San Francisco's plan and just let everybody piss outside."

- Dennis Miller

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »

"If North Carolina truly cared they would copy San Francisco's plan and just let everybody piss outside."

- Dennis Miller

hihi
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 04:39:46 PM »

The more trouble the cancellation will make, the bigger effect the act will have.

Im all for it. The law wasent there when Springsteen booked the show.

Well done.

If he wouldnt have made the cancellation, less people would have been aware of the problem. People who got their show cancelled should be angry at the state, not the band, cause they did the right thing.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 10:03:45 AM »

One of the political talking heads on TV described the NC law as a solution in search of an issue.

Before this law was passed, no one was talking about Transgender people and bathrooms. The NC GOP brought this on themselves. 

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 10:20:45 PM »

What's going on here? These news haven't gone public everywhere in the world.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 11:19:25 PM »

What's going on here? These news haven't gone public everywhere in the world.
There's a law in North Carolina that forces transgender people to use the bathroom that identifies with their birth gender and not what they currently identify as. A lot of people are upset with such a discriminatory law. Bands are even cancelling shows in the state over the law.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »

Next, I'd  expect to see urinals in Ladies Rooms  rofl

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »