Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 05:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227996 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  [UPDATES] April 20, 2016 ? Foro Sol, Mexico City
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [UPDATES] April 20, 2016 ? Foro Sol, Mexico City  (Read 75923 times)
BillBailey702
Headliner

« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »

Just out of interest. Was there a curfew at midnight?

Foro sol had a 1 am curfew from what I heard. I can understand them having a strict curfew based on how many police officers were on site I ve never been to a show with a police presence like that. Rows and rows of policia in riot gear with shields.

Minnesota 10-14-02
Hammerstein 5-14-06
Las Vegas  9-16-06
Las Vegas  9-17-06
Las Vegas 4-8-16
Las Vegas 4-9-16
Mexico City 4-19-16
Mexico City 4-20-16
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2016, 11:12:26 AM »

El Chapo may have been in the house!

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #322 on: April 22, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »

Grin smoking

Surely, Jarmo has a pic but if that was ever to surface the site would be taken down in minutes.
Annie
« Reply #323 on: April 22, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »

Grin smoking

Surely, Jarmo has a pic but if that was ever to surface the site would be taken down in minutes.
Hahaha  I wouldn't doubt it. hihi
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #324 on: April 22, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »

Slash couldn't even get the first solo right and it was almost tailor-made for him...
I don't think it was tailor-made for him. Robin always had weird choices mostly on the time he hits the notes. It's not something really in Slash's style. Actually, I think that's why he rather play stuff in his own way.

its just neat for me to hear a new take on it. it's the closest thing to new music we've got in a long time. i also think he'll improve over time as he did with til.

as for the cd songs being too numerous, i don't think anyone (or very few people) will not buy a ticket because of it. i see it as axls way to acknowledge the cd fans instead of leaving them high and dry. it wouldn't be nice to leave behind/disregard the people that followed him and loved his work during the time that he was less popular just because he's now, for lack of a better term, a cool kid again. sure, you can look at it from a business pov (although it probably doesn't actually affect the business stuff too much), but from the whole integrity standpoint (which he seems to be big on), cd songs in the set are understandable. i would definitely have been less interested in the whole reunion thing if they dropped all the cd stuff. sure, they don't "owe" me anything, especially since I'm just watching from home, but I appreciate the gesture and like the signal it sends out to the fanbase: cd happened, it aint going anywhere, I'm still proud of it, it means a lot to me, new music may not just be afd part 2, etc...
Agreed 100%. And I really think people should appreciate that integrity more.

gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #325 on: April 22, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »

Slash couldn't even get the first solo right and it was almost tailor-made for him...
I don't think it was tailor-made for him. Robin always had weird choices mostly on the time he hits the notes. It's not something really in Slash's style. Actually, I think that's why he rather play stuff in his own way.

its just neat for me to hear a new take on it. it's the closest thing to new music we've got in a long time. i also think he'll improve over time as he did with til.

as for the cd songs being too numerous, i don't think anyone (or very few people) will not buy a ticket because of it. i see it as axls way to acknowledge the cd fans instead of leaving them high and dry. it wouldn't be nice to leave behind/disregard the people that followed him and loved his work during the time that he was less popular just because he's now, for lack of a better term, a cool kid again. sure, you can look at it from a business pov (although it probably doesn't actually affect the business stuff too much), but from the whole integrity standpoint (which he seems to be big on), cd songs in the set are understandable. i would definitely have been less interested in the whole reunion thing if they dropped all the cd stuff. sure, they don't "owe" me anything, especially since I'm just watching from home, but I appreciate the gesture and like the signal it sends out to the fanbase: cd happened, it aint going anywhere, I'm still proud of it, it means a lot to me, new music may not just be afd part 2, etc...

CD for the fans that never heard it will actually increase sales.  For my friends who only know GNR with Slash, now are saying, "wow, I am gonna buy CD because of the shows with Slash playing it.  Slash legitimizes CD for the typical fan who is not on these sites.

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #326 on: April 22, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »

CD for the fans that never heard it will actually increase sales.  For my friends who only know GNR with Slash, now are saying, "wow, I am gonna buy CD because of the shows with Slash playing it.  Slash legitimizes CD for the typical fan who is not on these sites.
I always felt if Slash was on the album it would have done better and been more well received. Not that it would've BEEN that much better, but people are fickle and refused to give it a fair shot because of the drama surrounding it, etc.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #327 on: April 22, 2016, 01:54:38 PM »

I seriously doubt there will be many "casual fans" going out to buy CD because they heard Slash play some of the songs now.

I mean you have to be EXTREMELY casual to not realize that Slash is NOT the one who is playing on that studio album. Plus, in all fairness to Slash, it's hard to compare playing live to a recording that was done in a studio and mixed and mastered even if you were the one who wrote the material - which of course in this case he didn't.

I do agree however that Slash will help legitimize CD songs as GNR songs for the casual fans and die-hard Slash fans now that he is playing them regularly.*

*That of course is AFTER we all get through the arguments of how so-n-so sounded much better on the album and/or Slash really fucked up so-n-so's riff/solo or how Slash did the songs so much better than on the album.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:58:10 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #328 on: April 22, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »

I mean you have to be EXTREMELY casual to not realize that Slash is NOT the one who is playing on that studio album.

Uhm, what exactly are we talking about here? So many people enjoy the music without knowing who plays what. This stadium tour, so many stadiums and so many great games played there already. GNR coming to town is not historical at all. Go to a game and ask someone at half time and they will not have any idea. They'll probably ask you if you remember that whatever game.

Do a blind tasting, give them Slash or Bumblefoot or Ashba or anything, they won't know the difference.

And that's not wrong.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #329 on: April 22, 2016, 07:29:35 PM »

I mean you have to be EXTREMELY casual to not realize that Slash is NOT the one who is playing on that studio album.

Uhm, what exactly are we talking about here? So many people enjoy the music without knowing who plays what.
I was specifically talking about that IMO not too many people will go out and buy the album (CD) just because they're hearing Slash play those songs on tour.  I do not think he will have any impact on sales because he does not play on the album.

This stadium tour, so many stadiums and so many great games played there already. GNR coming to town is not historical at all. Go to a game and ask someone at half time and they will not have any idea. They'll probably ask you if you remember that whatever game.

Do a blind tasting, give them Slash or Bumblefoot or Ashba or anything, they won't know the difference.

And that's not wrong.
Totally agree.  I have made that same point many times before because I'm one of those people who couldn't tell the difference.

Edited to clarify:  I probably couldn't tell the difference who was playing if I couldn't see them.  I do know the difference between Slash and Bumblefoot and Ashba if I'm looking at them.  Tongue

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:37:46 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #330 on: April 22, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »

Uhm, what exactly are we talking about here? So many people enjoy the music without knowing who plays what. This stadium tour, so many stadiums and so many great games played there already. GNR coming to town is not historical at all. Go to a game and ask someone at half time and they will not have any idea. They'll probably ask you if you remember that whatever game.

And that's not wrong.

Different bands have/had different level of popularity and recognizability. GN'R happens to place on the top half of the score board in this department.

I consider GN'R to be on the second level when it comes to recognizability. Bands/artists ranking above them would be the likes of Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Elvis, Elton John, Rolling Stones, Rihanna, Madonna, Eminem.

Music videos on youtube is a clue. When GN'R videos have hundreds of millions of views, there is a good chance people know who Axl and Slash are. I'd say way more people do than don't ? if you are, or ever were a fan of them that is.

The majority of the GN'R fans happens to have become fans through the peak-era of the music video (on TV), that helps a great deal as well.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #331 on: April 22, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »

I probably couldn't tell the difference who was playing if I couldn't see them.  I do know the difference between Slash and Bumblefoot and Ashba if I'm looking at them.  Tongue

You owe me a new laptop as I spilled my beer on it. Funny cause it's true beer

Music videos on youtube is a clue. When GN'R videos have hundreds of millions of views, there is a good chance people know who Axl and Slash are. I'd say way more people do than don't ? if you are, or ever were a fan of them that is.

There is a very good chance they know that group. They've heard of them, they will recognise the images. If you go around Europe displaying only Duff's pic most people would say no idea but looks like some rocker. Then you tell them GNR, ahh that band of course I know.

As for buying CD no way in hell. Or of course, why not buy it if you can find it somewhere. I do some research sometimes in shops here in central Europe and haven't seen CD ever.

(I've bought six CDs over the years and I will as sure as fuck buy one more if someone is willing to sell.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:49:17 PM by Lord Stan » Logged
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #332 on: April 22, 2016, 10:10:58 PM »

There is a very good chance they know that group. They've heard of them, they will recognise the images. If you go around Europe displaying only Duff's pic most people would say no idea but looks like some rocker. Then you tell them GNR, ahh that band of course I know.

As for buying CD no way in hell. Or of course, why not buy it if you can find it somewhere. I do some research sometimes in shops here in central Europe and haven't seen CD ever.

As for images, I purposely only mentioned Axl and Slash as I think only those two would represent GN'R to most casuals.

I think I might have misunderstood you and thought you strictly were talking about the appearance of the band members.

If they were to listen to the band:

Chinese.. yeah, looking at it isolated, where you disregard any news events surrounding the band, I agree with you. Although Bucket's guitar style is very different to Slash's, many casuals would probably think Slash is capable of such technical playing without even thinking about it.

The news about both the breakup and reunion of GN'R were fairly public though (the reunion likely more so than the breakup). Many casual fans did probably snap up the fact that Slash has been out of the band for a couple of decades. Far from all though.

But yes, give a random casual fan a listen to Chinese and he/she will probably think it's Slash on guitar and Guns N' Roses did just choose a new musical direction.

If none of the casuals had known that Slash ever left the band, I think Chinese would have performed way better on the charts. I think the fact that many people knew about it, combined with poor marketing, was the reason it never became a big seller. (Although, it didn't tank commercially either).

Sweetness is a virtue
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #333 on: April 22, 2016, 11:06:54 PM »

The news about both the breakup and reunion of GN'R were fairly public though (the reunion likely more so than the breakup).

I don't think we ever really heard any news about an actual breakup across the pond?

Did we? Of course back in the day those emails travelled slower and might've been lost in the wind.
The Wight Gunner
VIP

« Reply #334 on: April 23, 2016, 03:59:55 AM »

The news about both the breakup and reunion of GN'R were fairly public though (the reunion likely more so than the breakup).

I don't think we ever really heard any news about an actual breakup across the pond?

Did we? Of course back in the day those emails travelled slower and might've been lost in the wind.

Did they break up? When at Leeds in 2002, I assumed Slash was just being shy and grabbed the first thing hide his embarrassment. Issy was there 'cos there was a black haired guitar player too.  Fuck had I know this wasn't the real deal I'd have asked for my money back.... Tongue
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #335 on: April 23, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »

I don't get this thing about casual fans. If we are trully considering a show to make them happy, it would only have November Rain, SCOM and WTTJ. They could care less about the other stuff. If you play Better or Coma, they won't know the difference about who write what.

Honestly, they play Coma or those CD songs and are considering deep cuts like Perfect Crime because of us (and I assume because they also like to play). Isn't that enough? Why would they need to please only the casual fans who would be happy with the setlist as long as it have the hits anyways?

zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #336 on: April 24, 2016, 10:01:39 AM »

here's full audio of 2nd night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV8omrOeJJQ
anyone know the guy? the original source would be nice, not resampled by Youtube...

Spirit
Legend

« Reply #337 on: April 25, 2016, 09:50:39 PM »

Frank's POV at Foro Sol:

Sweetness is a virtue
encoded
Headliner

"Please" is what I said to you!

« Reply #338 on: April 28, 2016, 03:58:39 AM »

great zoom in and out of the crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46h9mPidXF8

Pukkelpop - Kiewit 24.08.02
Graspop - Dessel 24.06.06
Sportpaleis - Antwerpen 30.09.10
Ahoy - Rotterdam 04.06.12
TW Classic - Werchter 24.06.17
Graspop - Dessel 21.06.18
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »

Guns N' Roses - 4/20/16 MEXICO CITY Night 2 #GnFnR https://youtu.be/7NdM53FikdA

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: