Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Tommy Stinson new Bash & Pop LP
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tommy Stinson new Bash & Pop LP  (Read 16350 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: October 15, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »

As usual, I'm confused but I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere else that there really will be a new Bash & Pop LP next year.

Anyways.... Tommy retweeted this MAGNET Magazine tweet about the Bash & Pop LP but the Tommy interview link they posted is from 5 years ago  Huh

Tommy Stinson Retweeted
MAGNET Magazine ‏@MAGNETMagazine

New @bashnpop LP next year.

Read our @tommy_stinson Q&A: http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2011/11/21/qa-with-tommy-stinson/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:33:13 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:04:54 PM »

This is available for pre-order now plus other goodies.
The shipping/release date is 20 March 2017.

From Tommy's Facebook:
Tommy Stinson

We're at 664 Pledges.
#666 gets a devilish surprise bonus!

https://artists.pledgemusic.com/projects/bashandpop

New Bash & Pop Album
Tommy Stinson (The Replacements, Guns N Roses) is bringing back his band Bash & Pop, and you're invited!

Howdy my peeps!

You?re hearing it here first: A new Bash & Pop record is coming! Yep, that?s right! No shit!

Since recording my last two solo records in a rather piecemeal way, I found myself longing to make a record in the same way that we made the early Replacements records: live, in the studio, as a band. The last record I really did that on was called Friday Night Is Killing Me.

What?s the difference you say? Allow me to explain.

Whether I?m wearing my artist or producer hat, I will forever lust after the capture of lightning in a bottle, no matter how incomprehensible or daunting it may seem. Since early 2015 I?ve been recording new songs with new and old friends, cutting all of them as live as possible without losing too much fidelity nor over-thinking the songs.

Recording live with a band is the only way I know this to be done. As the life of this project developed, the elements of what make a band a BAND started to appear: The spontaneity, the solidarity, the piss, the vinegar, the good times and the angst. These are all of the things that I think make for a great rock n? roll record; like a car careening helplessly off the road, only to be spared catastrophe at the very last second.

A majority of the people i played these tracks for said it reminded them of the Bash & Pop record. Alas, there you have it. A new Bash & Pop record coming soon!

Here?s a list of my friends that I have to thank for helping to shape the new album:

Chip Roberts (one-400?s)
Steve ?Sleeve? Selvidge (The Hold Steady, Big Ass Truck)
Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi All-Stars, The Word)
Frank Ferrer (Guns N? Roses)
Joe ?The Kid? Sirois (The Mighty Mighty BossToneS, Roll The Tanks)
Cat Popper (Jack White, Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Jesse Malin, Winning Instagram)
Justin ?Carl? Perkins (Screeching Weasel, Obsoletes)
Tony ?Tone Tone? Kieraldo (Played at The White House twice!)
Ryder Cooley

I?m happy to announce my partnerships with Fat Possum Records and PledgeMusic to help bring new Bash & Pop music to you!

By pre-ordering the record via PledgeMusic, you?ll become a part of the process of making of this record. Not only will you have the opportunity to buy the new record in whichever format is best suited for your listening pleasure, but you can also purchase one-of-a-kind items, merchandise and experiences only available here for a limited time! You?ll be able to purchase everything from high quality vinyl, cassettes, CD?s and MP3?s to instruments, lyric sheets, posters, framed photographs, and so much more. You can see our first show as Bash & Pop at the historic 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis, and I could even crash your wedding and flaunt my ordained status to officiate it!

As an added bonus, a portion of the proceeds of this campaign will benefit the Timkatec trade schools in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. As you may know, there is still a dire need for us to help these great young people learn how to rebuild their fractured nation. They desperately need any help that any of us can give, no matter the monetary amount. I chose this school after visiting their graduation in 2011 and seeing for myself what a big part of the long-term solution it is for the people and infrastructure of Haiti.

With that I leave you with a little taste of what?s to come.

Play along!
Be a part of the fun!
And stay tuned for upcoming tour dates in a city near you!

Cheers,
t

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/fatpossum/bash-pop-never-wanted-to-know-2

Tommy Stinson?s Bash & Pop share ?Never Wanted to Know? from new LP, expand tour
By Bill Pearis January 4, 2017 12:00 PM

Tommy Stinson?s reignited Bash & Pop have just shared ?Never Wanted To Know? from the group?s new album, Anything Could Happen. It?s the kind of anthemic powerpop you?d expect from Stinson and you can stream it below. The album, only Bash & Pop?s second ever, is out January 20 via Fat Possum.

Bash & Pop?s tour with So So Glos starts next week and hits NYC for a sold-out show at Mercury Lounge on January 18 (which is with the Mikey Erg Band). You can, however, still get tickets to their show at Asbury Park?s The Saint on 1/20. They?ve added a West Coast Leg of their tour, and will also play this year?s SXSW. Updated dates are listed below.

BASH & POP ? 2017 TOUR DATES
Thu. January 12th ? MINNEAPOLIS, MN ? 7th Street Entry $
Fri. January 13th ? MILWAUKEE, WI ? Cactus Club $
Sat. January 14th ? CHICAGO, IL ? Cobra Lounge $
Sun. January 15th ? COLUMBUS, OH ? Big Room Bar $
Mon. January 16th ? CLEVELAND, OH ? Now That?s Cllass $
Tue. January 17th ? PHILADELPHIA, PA ? Johnny Brenda?s $
Wed. January 18th ? NEW YORK, NY ? Mercury Lounge ?
Fri. January 20th ? ASBURY PARK, NJ ? The Saint $
Sat. January 21st ? ALLSTON, MA ? Great Scott $
Tue. February 28th ? SEATTLE, WA ? Chop Suey
Wed. March 1st ? PORTLAND, OR ? Doug Fir
Fri. March 3rd ? SACRAMENTO, CA ? Harlow?s
Sat. March 4th ? SAN JOSE, CA ? The Ritz
Sun. March 5th ? SAN FRANCISCO, CA ? Swedish American Hall
Tue. March 7th ? LOS ANGELES, CA ? Troubadour
Thu. March 9th ? SAN DIEGO, CA ? Casbah
Mon. March 13th ? AUSTIN, TX ? SXSW

$ ? w/ The So So Glos
? ? w/ Mikey Erg Band
Feb 28-Mar 9 ? Support TBA

Read More: Tommy Stinson?s Bash & Pop share ?Never Wanted to Know? from new LP, expand tour | http://www.brooklynvegan.com/tommy-stinsons-bash-pop-share-never-wanted-to-know-from-new-lp-expand-tour

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »

Wow, the song is so good. Loved it. Smiley

rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »

The shipping/release date is 20 March 2017.

[/b]

Ah, i thought its Jan 20. Anyway im looking to get the cd without it being signed. Havent found this option yet.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »

Tommy Stinson
BASH & POP will be playing a song on CBS's The Late Show with Stephen Colbert this Thursday night,
11:35p EST/10:35p CST!

reayj2003
VIP

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »

Got the album. Slightly disappointed 2 songs are ones that were released and which I've had for over a year..

BUT it's good. Hope they tour UK at some point.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/how-tommy-stinson-moved-on-from-replacements-and-gnr-w458836
Great read! Gotta love Tommy, will check the album soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr6Q_GKuN7E
This stuff rocks!

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »

I Just love tommys solo work and bash n pop and perfect are among my absolute favourites.

Its great to hear him in a record with the same vein as the previous work.

Such a talented cat that deserves so much respect. Way to go tommy! Always a fan, always will be ok

Chinese Democracy!
Sosso
VIP

Your Pong is no match for my Ping!

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »

Tommy is a fantastic bassist, singer and songwriter. One of the most talented musicians GN'R ever had.

"?the key to that band's success was Axl because at that time his singing really connected with people on a social level." - Tracii Guns
ckgent
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

Plays the uk late June.
Not sure of dates.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »

Jun 27 Glasgow @ King Tut's Wah Wah Hut
Jun 28  Manchester @ The Deaf Institute    
Jun 29  London @ The Garage London    
Jun 30 Ramsgate @ Music Hall
Jul 01  London @ Hyde Park

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 05:50:52 AM »

I have a spare ticket for the Manchester, England show of this tour. If anyone wants it - please DM me asap.....

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
Just_Me
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 06:17:40 AM »

I went to the London show. It was amazing.

Bit worried when 10 minutes before the doors opened there were 4 people outside and 10 minutes before the first band was due on there were 7 people in the room (excluding staff) but it was a Thursday night. Thankfully people started appearing as soon as the opening act went on and by the time Bash & Pop were on stage it was pretty full.

It was a great set. Really nice mix of old and new Bash & Pop, Perfect and some songs from his solo albums. Apart from the one guy who kept yelling for Replacements songs, everyone seemed really happy with that. I was disappointed they didn't play Light of Day and some people requested Unfuck You - both were on the set list but got cut for whatever reason.

We got a copy of the setlist, and from a combination of what I remember hearing and what's written down I think this was the set. (Anything Could Happen was actually earlier in the night but I don't remember exactly when so I left it where it was written.)

Not This Time
On The Rocks
Makes Me Happy
Bad News
Breathing Room
Saturday (new song, apparently going to be released "sooner rather than later")
Kids Aren't Alright (Who cover)
Tiny Pieces
Anybody Else
Zero To Stupid
Come To Hide
Not A Moment Too Soon
He Means It
Never Wanted To Know
Anything Could Happen
First Steps
Never Aim To Please
Friday Night Is Killing Me

Also on the set list was Unfuck You, It's A Drag, Motivation, Nothing and Light of Day.

Oh they got 2 special guests up on stage for 1 song - guys from a band Tommy has been a fan of since he was 12 apparently but annoyingly I couldn't hear who they were and didn't recognise them.

That was the one downside - as often happens at the Garage everything was far louder than it needed to be (personally I think 6 monitors on a stage that size is overkill and the drums didn't need as many microphones and were too loud compared to everything else but I'm not a sound engineer). The end result was that everything bled together a bit and wasn't very clear - not totally inappropriate given the band, but it could have been improved by bringing most things down a little bit and turning the vocals up. Also even with attenuating ear plugs my ears were ringing when I left (but I did have the wrong tips in them because I lost one of the high-end ones).

But yeah, overall a great show and I'm really happy that I got to see them, didn't think that would happen a few years ago.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »

Makes Me Happy is  one of my favourite Tommy songs!

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Just_Me
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »

Mine too!

I was a bit surprised when my husband pointed out that a lot of people probably didn't know it because it's from a relatively obscure EP. Partially because to my mind all Tommy's solo stuff is equally obscure in that you're unlikely to hear it on the radio or whatever but if you want to go looking for it it's all out there. But mostly because Makes Me Happy is probably one of the songs I listen to most often, so it seems weird to think other people might not know it.
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »

Mine too!

I was a bit surprised when my husband pointed out that a lot of people probably didn't know it because it's from a relatively obscure EP. Partially because to my mind all Tommy's solo stuff is equally obscure in that you're unlikely to hear it on the radio or whatever but if you want to go looking for it it's all out there. But mostly because Makes Me Happy is probably one of the songs I listen to most often, so it seems weird to think other people might not know it.
Its true that everything is out there quite easily available. Probably Perfect material is lesser known.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 06:44:47 PM »

I went to the London show. It was amazing.

Bit worried when 10 minutes before the doors opened there were 4 people outside and 10 minutes before the first band was due on there were 7 people in the room (excluding staff) but it was a Thursday night. Thankfully people started appearing as soon as the opening act went on and by the time Bash & Pop were on stage it was pretty full.

It was a great set. Really nice mix of old and new Bash & Pop, Perfect and some songs from his solo albums. Apart from the one guy who kept yelling for Replacements songs, everyone seemed really happy with that. I was disappointed they didn't play Light of Day and some people requested Unfuck You - both were on the set list but got cut for whatever reason.

We got a copy of the setlist, and from a combination of what I remember hearing and what's written down I think this was the set. (Anything Could Happen was actually earlier in the night but I don't remember exactly when so I left it where it was written.)

Not This Time
On The Rocks
Makes Me Happy
Bad News
Breathing Room
Saturday (new song, apparently going to be released "sooner rather than later")
Kids Aren't Alright (Who cover)
Tiny Pieces
Anybody Else
Zero To Stupid
Come To Hide
Not A Moment Too Soon
He Means It
Never Wanted To Know
Anything Could Happen
First Steps
Never Aim To Please
Friday Night Is Killing Me

Also on the set list was Unfuck You, It's A Drag, Motivation, Nothing and Light of Day.

Oh they got 2 special guests up on stage for 1 song - guys from a band Tommy has been a fan of since he was 12 apparently but annoyingly I couldn't hear who they were and didn't recognise them.

That was the one downside - as often happens at the Garage everything was far louder than it needed to be (personally I think 6 monitors on a stage that size is overkill and the drums didn't need as many microphones and were too loud compared to everything else but I'm not a sound engineer). The end result was that everything bled together a bit and wasn't very clear - not totally inappropriate given the band, but it could have been improved by bringing most things down a little bit and turning the vocals up. Also even with attenuating ear plugs my ears were ringing when I left (but I did have the wrong tips in them because I lost one of the high-end ones).

But yeah, overall a great show and I'm really happy that I got to see them, didn't think that would happen a few years ago.

Great show in Manchester too. I think the special guests you got were a guy called Peter Perett from a band called The Only Ones. They played one of their songs in Manchester, their biggest hit called 'Another Girl Another Planet' so I presume it was them? Perhaps that was the song they played again in London? They're a cult band- well worth checking out though. Peter Perrett actually has his first album in 20 years out soon.

There was someone in the crowd in Manchester that Tommy knew from school, so he came back a while after the lights went up on his own to play a song, and the band came running from all corners of the venue half way through to join in. Really impressed with the show- well recommended. Pretty spontaneous and unplanned- in a good way.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
rebelhipi
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSDX3ZofEM
Jeff Rouse who used to play bass in Duff McKagans Loaded now play bass in Bash & Pop.

Small world.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:46:24 PM by rebelhipi » Logged

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 04:46:54 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSDX3ZofEM
Jeff Rouse who used to play bass in Duff McKagans Loaded now play bass in Bass & Pop.

Small world.

He was part of Alien Crime Syndicate when they acted as Tommy's backing band on the Village Gorilla Head tour, too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: