Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Metallica's Kirk Hammett calls Guns N' Roses a 'nostalgia act'
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica's Kirk Hammett calls Guns N' Roses a 'nostalgia act'  (Read 36364 times)
slash&axl
Rocker

« on: November 12, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »

Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett says he's sad that Guns N' Roses' lack of new material makes them a "nostalgia

Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett has described the reunited Guns N' Roses as a "nostalgia act."

As Metallica gear up to release their 10th album Hardwired... To Self-Destruct on November 18, Hammett commented on Guns N' Roses ? who are on the road with Axl Rose, Slash and Duff McKagan from their classic lineup for the first time since 1993.

And the fact that GNR have not recorded any new music and have been playing only their classic hits is "sad" to the Metallica guitarist.

Hammett tells the Los Angeles Times: ?Unfortunately, they?ve turned into somewhat of a nostalgia act, which to me is kind of sad.?

Frontman James Hetfield says releasing new music makes Metallica "feel relevant."

He adds: ?I don?t want to think we?re trying to stay young by writing new stuff, but it makes us feel relevant. It makes us feel like we?re still progressing.?

Metallica are the cover stars of the new issue of Metal Hammer magazine. In an exclusive interview in the new issue, Hammett explained how he felt excluded from the writing sessions for Hardwired... To Self-Destruct.

He said: ?For me, being in this band, I always want to contribute. I always have a lot of musical concepts and ideas to bring to the table. Obviously, that was not meant to be this time, and I had to accept that fact."

Metallica will celebrate the launch of the forthcoming record with an intimate show in London's House Of Vans on November 18.

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-11-12/metallicas-kirk-hammett-calls-guns-n-roses-a-nostalgia-act
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »

He's not inherently wrong with what he's saying. It is what it is at this point. But, it's still pretty early in the game. We're talking about 3 guys working together again after 20+ years. It's not exactly the same scenario as Metallica. You have to start somewhere, and hopefully this round of touring is just that, a starting point.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 01:38:45 PM »

I think his judgement is a bit premature here, and it not's really comparable to what Metallica is doing, as they didn't take a 23 year break like Axl, Slash & Duff did. This has been a highly successful reunion tour for Guns, and is bigger than whatever Metallica is going to do, so we might be seeing a bit of jealousy here. However, if we don't hear anything in regard to music by, let's say, this time next year and they're still just touring, he won't exactly be wrong.  Hopefully we hear something real about the next Guns album sooner than later.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »

I love metallica, but he seems jealous to me. Its just such a strange comment considering metallica's last album was 8 years and 2 months ago (9/12/08). It will be 8 years soon for gnr. Metallica has an album coming out in less than a week, but gnr has worked on new music. They had a major reunion this year which put things on hold.

I think metallica is very competitive and it bothers them that one of their peers from the 80s is bigger than them right now and getting all the good press.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 05:55:22 PM »

I agree with what everyone else has said so far.  Guns N Roses (or three members anyway) just got back together.  Their tour was huge, and seemingly passed all the "what might happen" tests.  Now we'll see what happens.  If GNR keeps touring for years without an album, then I'll agree with Hammett.  But for now, he's speaking prematurely.
JMB-GNR
Headliner

DD Frontman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 07:39:56 AM »

Metallica?s Kirk Hammett has suggested Guns N? Roses have become a ?nostalgia act? with their recent reunion tour.

GN?R packed stadiums across North America on this summer?s Not In This Lifetime? Tour, but have not released an album since 2008?s ?Chinese Democracy?. That album was in itself the band?s first in 15 years.

?Unfortunately, they?ve turned into somewhat of a nostalgia act, which to me is kind of sad,? Hammett told the LA Times.

Metallica, by contrast, are preparing to release ?Hardwired? To Self-Destruct?, their first album since 2008.

http://www.nme.com/news/metallicas-kirk-hammett-calls-guns-1854086

---------------

I really like Metallica but it seems a bit strange to call GN'R a nostalgia act while they play more songs of their last album (also from 2008) during concerts than Metallica.

Graspop'06 | Nijmegen'06 | Antwerpen'10 | Arnhem'10 | Rotterdam'12 | Monchengladbach'12 | London'17 | Nijmegen'17 | Nijmegen'18
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »

Well, in a sense, he's not wrong.  I mean, they were packing in 40,000 to 50,000 people all summer to hear 'Chinese Democracy'.

But by the very nature of the business, an act that age is going to have a heavy nostalgia element.  It's the rare band that reaches that level that doesn't rely on the old material first and foremost, and the fans both want and expect that.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:21:12 AM »

Well, in a sense, he's not wrong.  I mean, they were packing in 40,000 to 50,000 people all summer to hear 'Chinese Democracy'.

But by the very nature of the business, an act that age is going to have a heavy nostalgia element.  It's the rare band that reaches that level that doesn't rely on the old material first and foremost, and the fans both want and expect that.

The irony is that Metallica is in no way exempt from being a nostalgia act.  No one's buying tickets to next year's tour chomping at the bit to hear anything from "Hard Wired". It's clear he's seen GNR's numbers and is being peanut butter and jealous.
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:28:11 AM »

He isn't wrong, but honestly I don't care.  The shows I saw this summer were fantastic and I think 99% of people in attendance had a great time.  I am confident that these guys aren't aiming to be a nostalgia act for the rest of their careers. 
banachkevin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:58:44 AM »

Metallica has been putting out crap records since 1996.

Vancouver2002,Edmonton2006,Saskatoon2010,Las Vegas2012,Las Vegas 2014,Toronto 2016
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »

I'd say he'll be right if there are more tours after this one with no new material.

As it stands, it is nostalgia to a lot of people, to a lot (like me) I don't see it as so, due to the inclusion of CD era material mainly.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
nick6sic6
VIP

Kindness is a treasure

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »

Said so Hammett.
His band just re-re-re-released the first albums remastered.
They toured the Master of Puppets anniversary in 2006 and the Black album in 2012.
Every band looks back in their catalog,that's no sin. He is right to an extend.
( btw the new Metallica record is killer !)

Athens 1993,
Lisbon 2006,
Athens 2006,
Belgrade 2010,
Basel 2012,
Sofia 2012
Stockholm 2017
Prague 2022
Athens 2023
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 09:30:22 AM »

I spent a lot of this year hearing people talk about Guns N' Roses again.  And for the first time in decades, not just people around here.

If that's because they are a "nostalgia act" now, oh well.  Give me a nostalgia act over a niche product that no one ever brings up, except to mock it.  Give me that every day of the week.

"2016 was good, but it was no 2006 or 2010"

- no one ever

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 06:28:00 AM »

METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett says that GUNS N' ROSES has "turned into somewhat of a nostalgia act" because the Axl Rose-fronted outfit hasn't produced or performed any new music in nearly a decade.

The subject came up during an interview with the Los Angeles Times, in which METALLICA's penchant for continually getting involved with new projects ? from movies and one-off collaborations to the band's upcoming "Hardwired? To Self-Destruct" album ? was held up in contrast to other groups from the same era who have focused exclusively on performing older material without flexing their creative muscles.

"Unfortunately," Hammett said, "[GUNS N' ROSES has] turned into somewhat of a nostalgia act, which, to me, is kind of sad."

"I don't want to think we're trying to stay young by writing new stuff, but it makes us feel relevant," added METALLICA frontman James Hetfield. "It makes us feel like we're still progressing."

Hammett's latest comments echoed those he made in 2014 when he was asked by Ecuador's El Comercio if he can ever see the day when METALLICA will just tour and will no longer make new music, The guitarist replied: "I hope not. There's a lot of different aspects to this band that we need to tend to. But I really think that the touring part supports the recording part, and the recording part ? the creativity, the songs ? supports the touring part. Both of those things kind of support each other and need each other for us to move forward. So I think that we would always need to write music, write songs, record them? It might be the exact opposite ? we might just end up recording songs for the rest of our career at one point. Or we might end up just touring. But I, myself, doubt that any of those two things will happen. I'm pretty confident that we will always be creative, because that's how we are as individuals. I mean, that's how I am ? I get bored, pick up my guitar, and next thing you know, I have a fucking riff. I get excited and I show it to the other guys, and next thing you know, we're jamming on it. It's a part of what we do."

The long-awaited follow-up to 2008's "Death Magnetic", "Hardwired... To Self-Destruct" is due out November 18 and consists of two discs, containing a dozen songs and nearly 80 minutes of music. A U.S. tour in support of the effort is expected to launch next year.

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich told The Pulse Of Radio that the band no longer wants to devote large chunks of time to any one project. "You know, METALLICA, in order for it to be true and pure and honest, has to be fun," he said. "And so the days of, you know, writing for a year and then recording for a year and then going on the road for three years ? those kind of endlessly long cycles ? they're just behind us. I don't think we have the stamina to do anything for those elongated periods of time any longer."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-kirk-hammett-says-guns-n-roses-has-turned-into-somewhat-of-a-nostalgia-act/#MmMrX1W46X3xYuKZ.99
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »

I agree with what everyone else has said so far.  Guns N Roses (or three members anyway) just got back together.  Their tour was huge, and seemingly passed all the "what might happen" tests.  Now we'll see what happens.  If GNR keeps touring for years without an album, then I'll agree with Hammett.  But for now, he's speaking prematurely.
This. Had he said that back in 2014, I would agree. But now, it's all about reconnecting to the past and for a good reason.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 02:59:55 PM »

So GNR has been touring for many years now playing the same set lists over and over again....

They have switched leader guitar players every couple of years...

This last summer was great for seeing Axl and Slash And Duff together again.  After the show you got to see, though why would you want to keep seeing the same old over and over again.

Given the choice I would prefer to have new music playing in my car
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:21 PM »

How do you know that?

They play songs off of the album CD just as much as most other guns albums live.   They play it more than some albums (Lies, UYI1 and less than others UYI2 and AFD).  Perhaps the unwashed masses want to hear the album CD played by Slash duff and mellisa?

Where is our new music!!!!!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 08:49:52 PM »

So GNR has been touring for many years now playing the same set lists over and over again....

This last summer was great for seeing Axl and Slash And Duff together again.  After the show you got to see, though why would you want to keep seeing the same old over and over again.

Have they come to your hometown twice already though? Shouldn't they be given the chance to tour the WORLD like they're currently doing before we expect (demand) new music?

I mean, I saw them already, so I'm there with you in wanting new music. But I can't fault them for hitting every corner of the earth making money hand over fist.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »

I've sort of given up on the idea of hearing new music, and come to terms with that. Don't get me wrong- it's 100 per cent what I want, and I'd take a new album over a tour, but I'm fully expecting to hear nothing new from the band again, other than unreleased 'rarities' and stuff.

I really really hope they prove me wrong- but other people must see it's unlikely given their past history? The cynic in me can't see the lineup carrying on past this world tour.

I imagine we'll go back to Axl hiding away, Slash playing solo, Duff doing his thing. And we'll all be on here speculating, as ever!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 04:09:46 PM »

Have they come to your hometown twice already though? Shouldn't they be given the chance to tour the WORLD like they're currently doing before we expect (demand) new music?

I mean, I saw them already, so I'm there with you in wanting new music. But I can't fault them for hitting every corner of the earth making money hand over fist.

Yep they have played my home city twice.   Edmonton.  In the last 10 years and the set list and music wa ether same   Now they will hit my market and play the exact same music   Again.

Cool. 

Plus I have traveled many times to see this band play

Thing is. 10 years ago.  There was a vine with new music   They played different songs.    Now they don't. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: