Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Metallica's Kirk Hammett calls Guns N' Roses a 'nostalgia act'
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica's Kirk Hammett calls Guns N' Roses a 'nostalgia act'  (Read 36346 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »

I've sort of given up on the idea of hearing new music, and come to terms with that. Don't get me wrong- it's 100 per cent what I want, and I'd take a new album over a tour, but I'm fully expecting to hear nothing new from the band again, other than unreleased 'rarities' and stuff.

I really really hope they prove me wrong- but other people must see it's unlikely given their past history? The cynic in me can't see the lineup carrying on past this world tour.

I imagine we'll go back to Axl hiding away, Slash playing solo, Duff doing his thing. And we'll all be on here speculating, as ever!

Even bob Dylan doesn't play knocking on heavens door at every concert!   And it's his song!!!!!

It's brutal man. Why don't they get sick of playing the same songs every night almost in the exact same order.   Get rid of other people's songs. Play your own music and switch it up!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 12:53:34 AM »

So GNR has been touring for many years now playing the same set lists over and over again....

They have switched leader guitar players every couple of years...

This last summer was great for seeing Axl and Slash And Duff together again.  After the show you got to see, though why would you want to keep seeing the same old over and over again.

Given the choice I would prefer to have new music playing in my car
Have they come to your hometown twice already though? Shouldn't they be given the chance to tour the WORLD like they're currently doing before we expect (demand) new music?

I mean, I saw them already, so I'm there with you in wanting new music. But I can't fault them for hitting every corner of the earth making money hand over fist.

Yep they have played my home city twice.   Edmonton.  In the last 10 years and the set list and music wa ether same   Now they will hit my market and play the exact same music   Again.

Cool. 

Plus I have traveled many times to see this band play

Thing is. 10 years ago.  There was a vine with new music   They played different songs.    Now they don't. 
You can't compare today to 10 years ago. So your argument ends there. You are in the vast minority of the ticket buying public this time around that was also buying tickets 10 years ago. Plus, they weren't playing Coma, Double Talkin' Jive, Yesterdays, etc. They were playing IRS, Madagascar, Street of Dreams, etc. They weren't playing stadiums. Honestly, the differences are endless, so I don't know what to tell you if you think it's the same show. Again, I get how YOU'RE enjoyment may be zapped. But there are millions that disagree with you, so I don't think it's going to work out in your favor.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »

So GNR has been touring for many years now playing the same set lists over and over again....

This last summer was great for seeing Axl and Slash And Duff together again.  After the show you got to see, though why would you want to keep seeing the same old over and over again.

Have they come to your hometown twice already though? Shouldn't they be given the chance to tour the WORLD like they're currently doing before we expect (demand) new music?

I mean, I saw them already, so I'm there with you in wanting new music. But I can't fault them for hitting every corner of the earth making money hand over fist.

Yep they have played my home city twice.   Edmonton.  In the last 10 years and the set list and music wa ether same   Now they will hit my market and play the exact same music   Again.

Cool. 

Thing is. 10 years ago.  There was a vine with new music   They played different songs.    Now they don't. 
You can't compare today to 10 years ago. So your argument ends there. You are in the vast minority of the ticket buying public this time around that was also buying tickets 10 years ago. Plus, they weren't playing Coma, Double Talkin' Jive, Yesterdays, etc. They were playing IRS, Madagascar, Street of Dreams, etc. They weren't playing stadiums. Honestly, the differences are endless, so I don't know what to tell you if you think it's the same show. Again, I get how YOU'RE enjoyment may be zapped. But there are millions that disagree with you, so I don't think it's going to work out in your favor.

Why cant you compare today to the past?  When does that end and why?

I can compare them, because I am......

I saw Guns 2 years ago and they where playing more original songs by the band then they are now.....   

I Saw them 10 years ago and they were playing new music!  It was great!!!   Great vibe

And now 10 years later, they have dropped a lot of these CD era songs from the playlist. 

Added more covers...

80% of the music they play live now they have played live forever. 

90% of the music they play now, they play ever night.   With the exact same order....

I could see 30 years ago bands could go from town to town and play the exact same songs night in and night out.  Travel was way more expensive.  There was zero access to anything online.

Now, travel is cheap.   Everything is online

What is in it for a fan to go to a show twice?   I can only have so many bathroom breaks, during songs.  I know paradise city will close the show and I have heard that song way to many times, so I guess I can leave early.     Over the past 10 years they have played some of these songs to death.  The only saving factor is the fact the band has had such a huge turn over in guitar players......  Now we get to head Slash back, playing these same old songs, night after night.

New music!!!!!!!!

No covers!!!!

Play more original music!!!!!!!
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2016, 11:00:05 PM »

If this tour made a second pass through your way, I could see Bacon's argument.

But keep in mind, we've seen it already.  Half of the world is still waiting.  I can't see how we tell fans all through Europe and the Far East they shouldn't get to experience what we all got to see last summer before we start talking about what's next.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »

Cool. 

I saw Guns 2 years ago and they where playing more original songs by the band then they are now.....   

I Saw them 10 years ago and they were playing new music!  It was great!!!   Great vibe

And now 10 years later, they have dropped a lot of these CD era songs from the playlist. 

Added more covers...

90% of the music they play now, they play ever night.   With the exact same order....

I could see 30 years ago bands could go from town to town and play the exact same songs night in and night out.  Travel was way more expensive.  There was zero access to anything online.

What is in it for a fan to go to a show twice?   I can only have so many bathroom breaks, during songs.  I know paradise city will close the show and I have heard that song way to many times, so I guess I can leave early.     Over the past 10 years they have played some of these songs to death.  The only saving factor is the fact the band has had such a huge turn over in guitar players......  Now we get to head Slash back, playing these same old songs, night after night.

New music!!!!!!!!

No covers!!!!

Again, you're making this about you and not the millions of other fans and ticket buyers. They are buying tickets to see Slash, Axl, and Duff together again. I really shouldn't have to explain that to you. That wasn't happening 10 years ago. Not many people travel long distances to see shows. At least, I'd say a majority see shows that are local for them. So it's not like they've made two treks across the US, South America, etc. at this point. They're playing these cities with this reformed lineup for the first time. That's why I don't think it's sacriligious that they aren't playing new music or CD front to back. That's not what the vast majority wants to hear. It's what you and I might want, but that's just the way it is.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:44 AM »

If this tour made a second pass through your way, I could see Bacon's argument.

But keep in mind, we've seen it already.  Half of the world is still waiting.  I can't see how we tell fans all through Europe and the Far East they shouldn't get to experience what we all got to see last summer before we start talking about what's next.

Yeah, totally! Some of us are still waiting to see this show- desperately! Let the tour do the rounds fully, and the dust settle, then see how things sound. If nothing happens for a year or so, then we get another tour with no new material, same songs- then yeah, that's a problem I think in terms of 'nostalgia'.

I'm still of the mindset though that this tour will be the last we see of this line-up of GNR. I just can't see new material happening, sadly. For starters- they have no time! The touring has been pretty much constant. Even if they went straight into the studio at the end of the tour (which is highly unlikely) it would take any normal band a couple of years to write/record a brand new album- let alone this being GNR with their legendarily leisurely approach to recording and releasing!

I often find it quite amazing what some people think on the forums- when people say "oh there will be a new album before Christmas"  or "I hope they add a new song to the set for the next leg of the tour" and all these sorts of things- they're in cloud cuckoo land, or have paid no attention whatsoever to Guns history and past! Standard response is always "yeah but things have changed now, who'd have thought Axl and Slash would be playing together....etc etc". That's ok, but there's a MASSIVE difference between playing a few shows together for a massive payday and a future for the band as a creative unit.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »

Cool. 

Added more covers...

New music!!!!!!!!

No covers!!!!

Again, you're making this about you and not the millions of other fans and ticket buyers. They are buying tickets to see Slash, Axl, and Duff together again. I really shouldn't have to explain that to you. That wasn't happening 10 years ago. Not many people travel long distances to see shows. At least, I'd say a majority see shows that are local for them. So it's not like they've made two treks across the US, South America, etc. at this point. They're playing these cities with this reformed lineup for the first time. That's why I don't think it's sacriligious that they aren't playing new music or CD front to back. That's not what the vast majority wants to hear. It's what you and I might want, but that's just the way it is.

You are making a assumption I am making this about me and what I want.   Of coarse it's how I feel.  But I speak for many people

Shows here in Canada where sold out in arenas 10 years ago 6 years ago   

Shows will be sold out again    I assume a lot of the same fans will be attending.   I know I will be and so will be friends of mine that attended the past shows

Western Canadians love to travel

If guns does a tour similiar to 2010.  6 shows are all within a good road trip driving distance    I am sure I won't be the only one doing this again

Sure would nice to see a huge set list switch up between shows

Like I said we like to travel.

When we where down in Seattle.  Many Canadians where down there st this arena show. 

So now I hope they just don't think they can now bring the same act up here and play the same old songs and all these covers

For a lot of us here in western Canada. We have heard and seen this lots

Not to mention the countless trips to Vegas to see the band play these songs.

So for you.  Or people around you in your area perhaps you would like this act to continue

For myself and people I talk to here have traveled with and gone to shows with we want it freshens up   

No more covers

More original music!

New music!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 09:58:20 PM »

Well, as you can see they're hitting different cities the 2nd time around. Exposing the maximum amount of fans to see them live. I think you're in the minority traveling to multiple shows. They're not coming anywhere close to me next year, at least not yet. I'd have to make a pretty big effort to go see them.

There simply isn't much motivation for them to make a new album right now. They're making millions of dollars every night they play. Until that well runs dry, why would they stop?

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 11:01:05 PM »

Well, as you can see they're hitting different cities the 2nd time around. Exposing the maximum amount of fans to see them live. I think you're in the minority traveling to multiple shows. They're not coming anywhere close to me next year, at least not yet. I'd have to make a pretty big effort to go see them.

There simply isn't much motivation for them to make a new album right now. They're making millions of dollars every night they play. Until that well runs dry, why would they stop?

There would be way more money to make by play on there own music and not covers. 

Release new music. Play new music sell new music 

Sales equals more money. 

Even 1 dollar is more than they get playing other people's music.   
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »

Yep.

And I can't really pity people that decided to travel for multiple shows, only to find out they are similar.

We all have the internet.  We can all access the setlist.fm site.

There are no surprises in 2016.  Just lazy people.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 11:12:29 AM »

Yep.

And I can't really pity people that decided to travel for multiple shows, only to find out they are similar.

We all have the internet.  We can all access the setlist.fm site.

There are no surprises in 2016.  Just lazy people.

I totally agree

You know what you get with this band now.  There is nothing unexpected.   

Myself if I am away on vacation at the time a show is going on I will see it.  I wont go out of my way to travel to see the same routine.   Already been there, done that
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 05:15:44 PM »

Myself if I am away on vacation at the time a show is going on I will see it.  I wont go out of my way to travel to see the same routine.   Already been there, done that

Well, I think you know what you are getting this tour.  We can all guess, right now, what the setlist will be for the 2017.  Only going to be off a song or two.

And while I would never travel to see any band, I would generally share your view that seeing this tour a second time will be the same show.  However, if they were coming around here in 2017, I probably would go.  Because it's my alltme favorite band, and I have no guarantee there will even be a next tour.

I tend to think there will be.  Or, more accurately, there will be unless Axl decides to hang it up.  The days of trying to sell this band without Slash & Duff are gone forever now.  It's back to "up close and personal" with that sort of line-up. 

And does that phony line-up even fill small venues?  I, like many others, put up with that because it was that, or literally nothing.  If you wanted to see Axl, you deluded yourself that a pack of randos was Guns N' Roses.  Axl touring without Slash & Duff at this point is a conscious decision, now that he's shown he can do it just fine.  I'm not rolling with some fill-in cover band after this.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »

Well, I think you know what you are getting this tour.  We can all guess, right now, what the setlist will be for the 2017.  Only going to be off a song or two.

And while I would never travel to see any band, I would generally share your view that seeing this tour a second time will be the same show.  However, if they were coming around here in 2017, I probably would go.  Because it's my alltme favorite band, and I have no guarantee there will even be a next tour.

I tend to think there will be.  Or, more accurately, there will be unless Axl decides to hang it up.  The days of trying to sell this band without Slash & Duff are gone forever now.  It's back to "up close and personal" with that sort of line-up. 

And does that phony line-up even fill small venues?  I, like many others, put up with that because it was that, or literally nothing.  If you wanted to see Axl, you deluded yourself that a pack of randos was Guns N' Roses.  Axl touring without Slash & Duff at this point is a conscious decision, now that he's shown he can do it just fine.  I'm not rolling with some fill-in cover band after this.

So these shows are less than 1 hr away from the previous market shows

With around 1 year in between them

You as a fan wouldn't expect a new show?

I sure do
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »

Not on the same tour being marketed with the same stage show under the same name, no.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »

Not on the same tour being marketed with the same stage show under the same name, no.

Cool. For your sake I hope this lasts another couple years
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 12:12:55 AM »

There would be way more money to make by play on there own music and not covers. 

Sales equals more money. 

That's debatable. Assuming there isn't an album ready to drop at a moment's notice, and I'm quite certain there isn't. It would take time to create new music and get it out to the public. We've seen that scenario play out before and it's not exactly swift. So that time used to create new music instead of touring would literally be millions of dollars lost. It's not like they're being charged to play 4 covers a night.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »

Sales equals more money. 

That's debatable. Assuming there isn't an album ready to drop at a moment's notice, and I'm quite certain there isn't. It would take time to create new music and get it out to the public. We've seen that scenario play out before and it's not exactly swift. So that time used to create new music instead of touring would literally be millions of dollars lost. It's not like they're being charged to play 4 covers a night.

Tons of bands and this one in the past and this one with current members

Writes music on the road, while touring!!!!   

Why does everything need to cost millions in production and time.......   

Write a song, record a song, release a song!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »

Sales equals more money. 

We're not talking about tons of bands. We're talking about THIS band. When, in the history of this band have they written, recorded, and released a song in record time? Why would you expect that to change now? There is literally no point in them releasing new music right now in a financial sense. Money talks, and they love what it's saying right now.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 04:21:34 PM »

Sales equals more money. 

We're not talking about tons of bands. We're talking about THIS band. When, in the history of this band have they written, recorded, and released a song in record time? Why would you expect that to change now? There is literally no point in them releasing new music right now in a financial sense. Money talks, and they love what it's saying right now.

I am talking about this band and members in this band and past members

I never said record time either, but how much time is really needed?

How long did AFD take to write and record?

How long did Lies take to write and record?

How long did the UYI's take to write and record?

How long did TSI take to record?

We are talking 5 albums in what 6 years?

I am sure they can find time to write and record a song right now
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 08:59:20 PM »

Sales equals more money. 

I am talking about this band and members in this band and past members

I never said record time either, but how much time is really needed?

How long did AFD take to write and record?

How long did Lies take to write and record?

How long did the UYI's take to write and record?

How long did TSI take to record?

We are talking 5 albums in what 6 years?

I am sure they can find time to write and record a song right now
In March 1986 they signed an advance with Geffen. 9 months later they released Live Like A Suicide, so 4 songs. Then 8 months later they released AFD.  Then about a year and a half later they released Lies, so 4 more songs. Lies was an EP remember in between full length albums. Something to hold fans over in a sense. So there was really more of a 4 year gap between AFD and UYI I & II. Now granted, 2 albums made up for the time in between. But we're talking about a band who was just starting out and hungry for world domination. And TSI was full of covers, which you hate, so why even include that?

Axl and Slash didn't speak for 20 years. It's amazing they're civil enough to play on the same stage again. To think that they're going to reunite, go on this massive reunion tour, and come out with a new album is expecting too much as far as I'm concerned. Because again, the motivation for them to do so isn't very high. They're selling out stadiums without lifting a finger as far as promotion goes. That's where the money is in this business these days. Once people stop buying tickets in droves maybe they'll have to change their approach and get back to the basics. But that time is nowhere close right now. Just because you have seen them live already and you're ready for them to move onto phase 2, doesn't mean that's what needs to happen right now. They're busy catering to fans at all corners of the world and everywhere in between. It's what many in these hallowed halls have been wishing for for the better parts of two decades. Let's just take a deep breath and let them follow through on their plan and let fans in other areas enjoy what we already have witnessed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: