Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  5 Changes for the next leg of Tour
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 Changes for the next leg of Tour  (Read 59422 times)
Executioner
Rocker

« on: December 02, 2016, 04:09:50 AM »

Source Rolling Stone

5 Things Guns N' Roses Should Do on Their 2017 Tour
Mix up the set list, minimize the instrumental breaks, bring back Izzy and more

Guns N' Roses are almost certainly heading back to North America in 2017, and here are five ways they can make the shows even better than in 2016.
By Andy Greene

There's been no official announcement, though all signs are pointing to Guns N' Roses coming back to North America in 2017. We aren't just talking about metaphorical signs. There are actual billboards in cities they skipped this year, like Montreal, teasing another tour. They already have 2017 dates booked in Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Thailand and Dubai that run though March 3rd. The band has yet to touch down in Europe since reuniting, so it's unclear when exactly the North American shows are going to happen, but they seem like a certainty.
RELATED

Guns N' Roses Hint at 2017 Tour With Video Teaser
The 2016 leg of the Not in This Lifetime tour was a triumph in many ways, and not just because Slash and Axl managed to peacefully coexist on a stage without any signs of turbulence. (The fact that the tour grossed over $114 million may have something to do with that.) Not only did Axl sound better than he has in years, but he showed up on time every night and actually seemed to enjoy himself. Slash breathed new life into the Chinese Democracy songs and the old members and new members meshed better than many expected. All that said, there are ways the shows could be even better. We know Axl Rose loves nothing better than being told what to do, particularly by the press, but here are some suggestions.
1. Eliminate some of the instrumentals and covers.
The show is great whenever Axl is onstage, but every few songs he seems to wander off while the band plays covers like "Wish You Were Here," "Attitude" and the theme from The Godfather. This goes all the way back to the Use Your Illusion tours of 1992-93. The pauses allow Axl to change outfits and catch his breath, but they also really kill the momentum. He managed to get through the AC/DC tour without constantly walking offstage. Maybe Axl should shorten the gigs a little bit, run around a little less and spend a little less time backstage.

2. Change around the set list.
Guns N' Roses don't have a huge catalog, especially since they aren't going to play more than three or four Chinese Democracy tunes and six Use Your Illusion songs each night. Eliminate songs like "Get in the Ring" and "One in a Million" that'll simply never get played for obvious reasons and you have a small pool of songs to draw from. That doesn't mean the band has to play the same songs in the same order each night. Right now, the only real drama comes at the beginning of the encore when they pick between "Patience" and "Don't Cry." It's so predictable that fans know Slash will always play a tiny bit of "Voodoo Child" every night at the end of "Civil War." How about mixing it up a bit so we don't always know what's coming next? Maybe open with "Welcome to the Jungle" and do "It's So Easy" a little later. Why not do something crazy and open with "November Rain" and throw everyone off balance. Concerts aren't Broadway shows. There should be some element of surprise.
3. Utilize Steven Adler more.
Nobody expects Steven Adler to stay behind the kit for the entire show and handle complex tunes like "You Could Be Mine." Frank Ferrer is a stellar drummer and an integral part of the band. But as long as Axl is willing to let Adler onstage, it shouldn't just be for one song every few months. The dude recently flew down to Buenos Aires to play a single song at one show. That's a lot of travel time for a four-minute song. The Rolling Stones gave Mick Taylor a lot more than that. How about letting Adler play a couple more Appetite for Destruction songs? He's quite capable of handling them.

4. Celebrate Appetite's anniversary.
July 21st, 2017, will mark the 30th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction. Most of the songs are in the regular rotation. One night, perhaps even on the exact anniversary, why not reward the fans by playing the whole thing in sequence? It shouldn't be that hard to rehearse "Think About You," "Anything Goes" and "You're Crazy." Only "Anything Goes" hasn't been done since the Eighties. The others were played in the 2000s. A full-album run-through would totally re-shuffle the show, but it would be a lot of fun.
5. Bring back Izzy.
This is a big one, and we know it is unlikely. As an original member, Izzy would want an equal share of the money, but his presence wouldn't bring in that much extra cash. That would mean Axl, Slash and Duff would have to give up some of their earnings. This tour is already a very efficient machine. Rehearsing Izzy would take a lot of work, especially if his return would mean the departure of Richard Fortus. Also, Izzy isn't exactly the world's most dependable guy and hasn't been on a real tour since 1992. There's too much money at stake to risk losing a show because Izzy rode off into the desert one night and didn't make the next gig. All of that said, Izzy is a key part of this band and it would be wonderful if he came back in some fashion, even for just a song or two. The ultimate dream, of course, is a show with the classic five-man lineup and no others, but that remains very, very hard to imagine. Of course, a tour with Axl and Slash seemed impossible just a couple of years ago, so we suppose anything is possible.

Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:09:06 AM »

Why not do something crazy and open with "November Rain" and throw everyone off balance.

This I Love hihi

Slash comes on stage on his own and starts playing something and the crowd is a little what's this. Then lights to the piano and Layla starts like it ever has.
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 05:10:00 AM »

Meh... what a random article full of unrealistic whining. All are such a moot point at this time. Or as Joey Tribbiani would say 'a cow's opinion'  hihi

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
Lord Stan
VIP

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:19:37 AM »

Meh... what a random article full of unrealistic whining. All are such a moot point at this time. Or as Joey Tribbiani would say 'a cow's opinion'  hihi

There is one good point in this stability. It is possible to plan a beer and toilet break beer
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 06:34:53 AM »

Looks like Rolling Stone also wants GNR to focus even more in the past. If I had to propose 5 changes for the next tour they would all have to be with new music (for ''new'' I mean completely new and unreleased songs from the ChiDem Era).

No more 30 years old guitar solos, no more winks to the nineties, no more ''nostalgic'' vibe at the shows. And add more ChiDem, 4 or 5 completely new songs, 2 or 3 never heard songs from 1996-2014. GNR is an extraordinary band with great musicians, and focusing in the future is what they deserve as the artists they are.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:06:20 AM »

Looks like Rolling Stone also wants GNR to focus even more in the past. If I had to propose 5 changes for the next tour they would all have to be with new music (for ''new'' I mean completely new and unreleased songs from the ChiDem Era).

No more 30 years old guitar solos, no more winks to the nineties, no more ''nostalgic'' vibe at the shows. And add more ChiDem, 4 or 5 completely new songs, 2 or 3 never heard songs from 1996-2014. GNR is an extraordinary band with great musicians, and focusing in the future is what they deserve as the artists they are.

Basically you just want to return to Axl's solo years, with added new 'gnr' songs ?

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »

Basically you just want to return to Axl's solo years, with added new 'gnr' songs ?

Isn't that what we have now, minus the new songs? I mean, I saw GNR with and without Slash. The main difference was, Slash was there. Setlist wise, yeah I got to hear Coma and Double Talkin' Jive, but other than that, it was the same basic show as Guns without Slash. Which isn't a bad thing, but as far as what I'm getting, it's the same show really.

New music, for many of us, would be the biggest improvement.
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »

I don't know anything, but my gut feeling tells me we'll see some of that in 2017. Otherwise new dates in the USA don't really make that much sense to me....

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »

I like the suggestion of celebrating Appetite, playing the whole album in the set would be a nice way to honor the anniversary.

I actually like the instrumentals, gives Slash in particular the spotlight.

The cover songs never bothered me.

But new material would be fantastic.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 09:35:36 AM »

I don't know anything, but my gut feeling tells me we'll see some of that in 2017. Otherwise new dates in the USA don't really make that much sense to me....

Oh I hope so.

I think I could of wrote this article myself.   I have been saying many of these same points this whole tour

Original music......   why not?!?!?    No covers!!

Some of these songs they play are so long.  To play every night really takes away from other songs they could through in there
How about only play either estranged or combo each night.  One or the other.  Play the song as the first one in the encore and switch nightly.  This would spice it up a bit for fans going to back to back shows and with 10 mins or so saved from playing one of these epic songs nightly you can fill it with some of guns shorter songs

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »

The tour is extremely unlikely to be much different in 2017 than it was in 2016.

But you know what?  That's fine.  Recognize that half of the planet has still yet to see what a lot of us got in 2016.  Let them have that.

If, god willing, there is a next tour...that is when we talk about changes.  But what you see now is the NITL tour, and should remain so until they've hit everywhere.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 10:15:05 AM »

The tour is extremely unlikely to be much different in 2017 than it was in 2016.

But you know what?  That's fine.  Recognize that half of the planet has still yet to see what a lot of us got in 2016.  Let them have that.

If, god willing, there is a next tour...that is when we talk about changes.  But what you see now is the NITL tour, and should remain so until they've hit everywhere.

The next North American leg for this tour has pretty much been confirmed

You are saying you are fine with everything being the same with the tour because people on the other side of the world haven't gotten the chance yet to experience this?

The rumoured dates here are very very close distance to cities they played in the summer, some the same

Change it up!   
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 10:15:50 AM »

Exactly the way I feel.  If they are touring the same areas again in 2019 with the same set list then it will be a problem.  That was why I skipped GNR when they came to NYC in 2013, I had seen that show nearly 10 times already.  How many times have people on this forum criticized a show that they watched on YouTube only to be told "its much different when you're there in person!".  Let everyone get that live experience first, then we can complain  Grin
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »

Exactly the way I feel.  If they are touring the same areas again in 2019 with the same set list then it will be a problem.  That was why I skipped GNR when they came to NYC in 2013, I had seen that show nearly 10 times already.  How many times have people on this forum criticized a show that they watched on YouTube only to be told "its much different when you're there in person!".  Let everyone get that live experience first, then we can complain  Grin

So if they play New York again this leg in a different venue are you going to skip it?

If they play Vegas again I plan on going there as I missed them last time.   If they play rattle again in a different venue I will not be travelling down there    If they swim through western Canada I will go to at least one show. If they switch up the act nightly like they have done in the past.  I will go to multiple shows

Like I have said in a previous thread.   Many people around here have travelled many times to see this band recently. Just because they are now playing locally doesn't make it a new thing
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »

So if they play New York again this leg in a different venue are you going to skip it?

If they play Vegas again I plan on going there as I missed them last time.   If they play rattle again in a different venue I will not be travelling down there    If they swim through western Canada I will go to at least one show. If they switch up the act nightly like they have done in the past.  I will go to multiple shows

Like I have said in a previous thread.   Many people around here have travelled many times to see this band recently. Just because they are now playing locally doesn't make it a new thing

First, no I will be attending another NYC show if they decide to come back.  With the old band they had toured on the set list for over a decade and I couldn't take it anymore.  I am not bored with seeing Axl, Slash & Duff onstage together no matter what they play  Wink

Secondly, ok people traveled to see the show.  Does that really matter?  If they decide to travel again and are bummed again to see the same set list, that is the risk you take.  They can choose to not go see a future show if they want.  No one is being forced to spend money and travel.  Do what I did with the GNR of 2013 and hit them with your wallet.

In the end, this is the only way you can get a band's attention.  If you aren't happy with what they're doing then stop going to shows, stop buying merch, stop streaming their music online and stop discussing them on social media and forums like this.  If/when that happens the band/management will take notice and if they care they'll make changes accordingly. 
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »

If they are touring the same areas again in 2019 with the same set list then it will be a problem.

Exactly.  Even though there have been breaks, this is still all part of this same quasi-reunion tour.  And the show is the show.

If once this wraps up, and they take a year or two off, that is when you can't come back with the same setlist, same video screen graphics, and so forth.

If the tour in 2019, 2020, or whenever it is, opens with :

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive
Estranged

...then, we have a problem. 

But not before.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 03:22:48 PM »

If they are touring the same areas again in 2019 with the same set list then it will be a problem.

Exactly.  Even though there have been breaks, this is still all part of this same quasi-reunion tour.  And the show is the show.

If once this wraps up, and they take a year or two off, that is when you can't come back with the same setlist, same video screen graphics, and so forth.

If the tour in 2019, 2020, or whenever it is, opens with :

It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Chinese Democracy
Welcome To The Jungle
Double Talkin' Jive
Estranged

...then, we have a problem. 

But not before.

No

They never really changed anything up on this first North American leg   Ok. Ok your points are valid for that.   Especially with stadium gigs

I Would consider this next wave of North American concerts the second wave of shows.   The second leg of a tour

With  1 year probably between shows in it not the same cities. Cities that are very close

I would expect change

But if you don't cool

If you want to go see the band again live and have no problems with them playing the same music   Same covers.  Same jams     Cool.  Good for you

I would expect on a second leg of a tour a year after the first shows that things get mixed up.  I want more original music.  Less covers.   
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 05:31:18 PM »

Meh? Are u a sheep ,anyway maybe unrealistic however a bit more spontaneity in Europe would be cool maybe Izzy might show up for a couple of gig's if he feels the urge.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

I would expect change

But if you don't cool

If you want to go see the band again live and have no problems with them playing the same music   Same covers.  Same jams     Cool.  Good for you

I would expect on a second leg of a tour a year after the first shows that things get mixed up.  I want more original music.  Less covers.   

I dont think it's so much that as I the fact I'm just a realist.

I'd like Pearl Jam level variety in the setlists.  But, having never done that, ever, going on 30 years of touring...I don't really see the value hoping it's around the corner.

Some songs, some of them covers, will always be in the setlist.  Just how it is.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 08:25:10 PM »

Although, I have to be honest.

Axl was able to crank through 2 hours of AC/DC with no breaks of any kind.  One song after the other.  And he sounded GREAT.

So, it's not like he couldn't cut some of the filler and jams out of GNR sets.  He doesn't NEED all those breaks, really.  That AC/DC tour rather refuted that premise.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: