Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  5 Changes for the next leg of Tour
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 Changes for the next leg of Tour  (Read 59448 times)
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 12:51:45 AM »

Great pictures!

Almost feels like UYI tours from the past   peace

Having witnessed both tours, I find it difficult to draw many similarities, other than the "core 3" being onstage together. The UYI tours were much more spontaneous and natural. We had new(er) songs, Axl was a mad-man onstage, Slash and Duff always seemed pretty wasted throughout, and we had Izzy (at least in the beginning). With NITL, you know exactly what you are going to get with each and every show. The biggest surprises, thus far, have been Steven Adler making a few cameos and a cover of 'Black Hole Sun'. Both of which were cool, but still pretty cookie-cutter, nonetheless.   

Yeah, I definitely miss the unpredictability of the old days. It's funny because it used to be Axl that everyone was expecting to throw a curveball, but now he's arguably the most predictable. Now, Slash and Myles was pretty safe, but they did constantly change their setlist. I suppose it's different what Slash will do for his improvised solo, as well ad the CD songs where he clearly improvises. But on the CD songs, I wish he would actually work out a structure for his solos instead of winging it.

And something that has become unfortunately predictable; Axl rushing slower songs like Sorry, Black Hole Sun, and even Coma. IDK why he seems to do this every time on those songs and doesn't correct it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
FreddieJames
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 03:10:49 AM »

Great pictures!

Having witnessed both tours, I find it difficult to draw many similarities, other than the "core 3" being onstage together. The UYI tours were much more spontaneous and natural. We had new(er) songs, Axl was a mad-man onstage, Slash and Duff always seemed pretty wasted throughout, and we had Izzy (at least in the beginning). With NITL, you know exactly what you are going to get with each and every show. The biggest surprises, thus far, have been Steven Adler making a few cameos and a cover of 'Black Hole Sun'. Both of which were cool, but still pretty cookie-cutter, nonetheless.   

Yeah, I definitely miss the unpredictability of the old days. It's funny because it used to be Axl that everyone was expecting to throw a curveball, but now he's arguably the most predictable. Now, Slash and Myles was pretty safe, but they did constantly change their setlist. I suppose it's different what Slash will do for his improvised solo, as well ad the CD songs where he clearly improvises. But on the CD songs, I wish he would actually work out a structure for his solos instead of winging it.

And something that has become unfortunately predictable; Axl rushing slower songs like Sorry, Black Hole Sun, and even Coma. IDK why he seems to do this every time on those songs and doesn't correct it.

I was just talking about the aesthetics of the pics. You know, indeed the band members and how it all looks like the GnR I loved back then.

I am also pretty sure that way back then the setlists were also basically the same every night. But you couldn't go on the internet each night and simply had to wait until hey played your city.

But yeah, it sucks that Duff isn't falling off the stage anymore, and Slash actually remembers how to play his solo's. Was way more fun then, I wish Axl would still rant about petty stuff at age 55. I too wish that a bunch of guys in their 50's would still behave like 20 year olds. Would make me feel so much cooler  hihi

Don't need your religion,
Don't watch that much T.V.,
Just making my living baby,
And that's enough for me.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »

Great pictures!

I was just talking about the aesthetics of the pics. You know, indeed the band members and how it all looks like the GnR I loved back then.

I am also pretty sure that way back then the setlists were also basically the same every night. But you couldn't go on the internet each night and simply had to wait until hey played your city.

But yeah, it sucks that Duff isn't falling off the stage anymore, and Slash actually remembers how to play his solo's. Was way more fun then, I wish Axl would still rant about petty stuff at age 55. I too wish that a bunch of guys in their 50's would still behave like 20 year olds. Would make me feel so much cooler  hihi

haha! I do wish Axl would have a rant about fucking smartphones though, I'll be honest. And before anyone says it- no I don't watch periscopes!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »

Guys, the memory cheats.

I love the UYI tour.  But take out the first leg of that tour in starting in May 1991.  Hell even just take out the first month or so of shows on that summer '91 leg.  The "unpredictibility" is really not all that present as soon as July 1991. 

Now, there are 3 major legs to that tour.  1991 with Izzy.  Late 1991 to early 1993 with the extended 12 piece band, and the Skin 'N Bones acoustic leg.  Each leg had it own structure, but within that leg, you didn't exactly have to be Nostradaums to know what was going to be played.  You could sit down before the show and sketch out the basic setlist and come with a song or two of nailing it.

In other words, not much different than the NITL tour.

Now, most people's problem with the neverending CD tour was that that tour went entire legs and sometimes years in between legs, yet never really changed much.

If whenever they gear this back up, in 2020 or whatever, if it's basically the same show as the NITL tour, then I think you have a beef.

But not before.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »

Guys, the memory cheats.

I love the UYI tour.  But take out the first leg of that tour in starting in May 1991.  Hell even just take out the first month or so of shows on that summer '91 leg.  The "unpredictibility" is really not all that present as soon as July 1991. 

Now, there are 3 major legs to that tour.  1991 with Izzy.  Late 1991 to early 1993 with the extended 12 piece band, and the Skin 'N Bones acoustic leg.  Each leg had it own structure, but within that leg, you didn't exactly have to be Nostradaums to know what was going to be played.  You could sit down before the show and sketch out the basic setlist and come with a song or two of nailing it.

In other words, not much different than the NITL tour.

Now, most people's problem with the neverending CD tour was that that tour went entire legs and sometimes years in between legs, yet never really changed much.

If whenever they gear this back up, in 2020 or whatever, if it's basically the same show as the NITL tour, then I think you have a beef.

But not before.

I'd argue that the Gilby Clake era 1991 Stadium run had less flexibility in the setlist that the NITL tour. Of course, this wasn't an issue whatsoever, as people went to see the shows near them and didn't spend time analyzing and comparing shows on the internet.
People seem to forget that you'd go and see a band back then and wouldn't have a clue what the band had played the night before, or at any date previously on the tour.

Having now seen this tour- I'm absolutely convinced that criticizing it is crazy. Sitting at home watching crappy videos and looking at setlists leads to a level of fatigue and encourages needless complaining. Get in that pit, watch this band live- it's something else. It's about the moment and the experience. That's what is making this tour.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »

Hey DX you know whats going to come next then the Acoustic version of "NITL" tour does that get your engine revving now lol.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »

Great pictures!

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »

Great pictures!

In the early 90s the setllists were pretty much the same sure

But

It was all fairly newer music played to an audience that never had the chance to hear certain songs

30 years later they are play the same songs.  Ugh

Freshen it up already
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »

Hey DX you know whats going to come next then the Acoustic version of "NITL" tour does that get your engine revving now lol.

Hey, I loved that Skin N' Bones leg.

I would not that want to be the only time I saw them, as I did not feel it painted a real picture of who they were as a band at that time.  But the show itself was solid.

But short.  It's so obvious Axl is tired of being there by that point.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »

Freshen it up already

The only solution to that would've been to starting touring at a later point, after writing new material. Now it seems they're doing it the other way around, eager to get on the road as a reunited band first, then record new material.

With brand new music, I would think Slash and Duff want a hand in crafting it before presenting it live. Actually, I'm sure Axl wants it that way as well. He always wanted to include new members of the line-up in the recording process whenever they came along. Slash and Duff are playing CD-songs, but they were already released so that is sort of a different story.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2017, 01:34:12 PM »

Great pictures!

But

It was all fairly newer music played to an audience that never had the chance to hear certain songs

Freshen it up already

Freshen it up with, say, songs from Chinese Democracy that weren't around 30 years ago, and new cover versions such as The Seeker and Black Hole Sun that they weren't playing then? No?

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »

Great pictures!

But

Freshen it up already

Freshen it up with, say, songs from Chinese Democracy that weren't around 30 years ago, and new cover versions such as The Seeker and Black Hole Sun that they weren't playing then? No?

This band has been playing CD songs since the early 2000s   It isn't even close to fresh any more
We have also heard 4 different guitar players takes on these songs.   So the argument that we get to hear slashes take on these songs doesn't hold any water

Covers are an easy way out for playing music
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2017, 01:48:34 PM »

Freshen it up already

The only solution to that would've been to starting touring at a later point, after writing new material. Now it seems they're doing it the other way around, eager to get on the road as a reunited band first, then record new material.

With brand new music, I would think Slash and Duff want a hand in crafting it before presenting it live. Actually, I'm sure Axl wants it that way as well. He always wanted to include new members of the line-up in the recording process whenever they came along. Slash and Duff are playing CD-songs, but they were already released so that is sort of a different story.

I havnt heard or seen anything that makes me think there is any interest in this band releasing new music   In fact I get the complete opposite feeling
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »

Freshen it up already

I havnt heard or seen anything that makes me think there is any interest in this band releasing new music   In fact I get the complete opposite feeling

Axl himself saying they're planning on it. Richard saying they're planning on it.

What else, besides leaks do you require to make you think there is interest?

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »

Freshen it up already

Axl himself saying they're planning on it. Richard saying they're planning on it.

What else, besides leaks do you require to make you think there is interest?

Talk is cheap. 

Pictures of them in a studio.   An actual singe release

In one way or another we have heard they have been writing or want write music or have a ton of stuff to release  for the past 10 years

Why would one more band member saying this mean anything?

The proof is in the pudding and this pudding says we will not get any sort of music from this band any time soon. Probably never again
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

I'd say Axl is a key player here, not just "one more band member".

Personally, I think of it as a clean slate once Slash and Duff were back in the mix. Whatever happened before that ? new-music-wise, doesn't count that much. I can agree things didn't look bright up until 2016, it was pretty much quiet.

I think Axl has more of an incentive to release something new with original players back in the band. I think his POV has changed over the years, and I get the feeling he is happier now in GN'R than 3-4 years ago. I know he said he liked the previous line-up of the band, but I'm not so sure he felt inspired to write music with that particular group of people.

It's all speculation on my part of course, but I choose to be optimistic. There were nay-sayers all over up until 2008 as well, but he delivered at last.

Right now, I choose to enjoy the current tour. Alright, there are a few covers in the set (although I don't even mind)... but Slash and Duff are fuckin' back! Are people so easily jaded that only a mere year later it's not enough anymore? There was an ongoing outcry for a reunited GN'R for years and years, and when it finally happens people are instantly bored because they aren't playing exactly the songs they want to hear... jeez.

You choose to be negative to most things GN'R these days, although you call it "higher standards". I suspect you are one to never be pleased, I'm not so sure you'll focus on the positive if they completely changed the set, if they released new music... There will always be something to point a finger at, huh?

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »

I'd say Axl is a key player here, not just "one more band member".

Personally, I think of it as a clean slate once Slash and Duff were back in the mix. Whatever happened before that ? new-music-wise, doesn't count that much. I can agree things didn't look bright up until 2016, it was pretty much quiet.

I think Axl has more of an incentive to release something new with original players back in the band. I think his POV has changed over the years, and I get the feeling he is happier now in GN'R than 3-4 years ago. I know he said he liked the previous line-up of the band, but I'm not so sure he felt inspired to write music with that particular group of people.

It's all speculation on my part of course, but I choose to be optimistic. There were nay-sayers all over up until 2008 as well, but he delivered at last.

Right now, I choose to enjoy the current tour. Alright, there are a few covers in the set (although I don't even mind)... but Slash and Duff are fuckin' back! Are people so easily jaded that only a mere year later it's not enough anymore? There was an ongoing outcry for a reunited GN'R for years and years, and when it finally happens people are instantly bored because they aren't playing exactly the songs they want to hear... jeez.

You choose to be negative to most things GN'R these days, although you call it "higher standards". I suspect you are one to never be pleased, I'm not so sure you'll focus on the positive if they completely changed the set, if they released new music... There will always be something to point a finger at, huh?

This isn't a reunited gnr though.  It's just a different versions of the band

There may have been naysayers before 2008. But at least we knew they had produced music. At least we got to hear new music at shows

I have seen nothing that shows me they want to release new music.  What I do see them doing is what they are doing.  Playing a bunch of old musi and covers
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »

It's somewhat reunited wouldn't you say. Not just "another line-up" imo, we have three of the five originals in there.

There may have been naysayers before 2008. But at least we knew they had produced music. At least we got to hear new music at shows

I have seen nothing that shows me they want to release new music.  What I do see them doing is what they are doing.  Playing a bunch of old musi and covers

Back to my original point, if we want to hear new music from this line-up, the tour should have started later in order for them to write the music first.

I'm optimistic that'll happen once they go on a break from this tour.

Sweetness is a virtue
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »

It's somewhat reunited wouldn't you say. Not just "another line-up" imo, we have three of the five originals in there.

Back to my original point, if we want to hear new music from this line-up, the tour should have started later in order for them to write the music first.

You flat out said this was a reunited gnr

It isn't

It's an other version of the band featuring Slash and duff

Gnr is not reunited

Your point about the tour starting a year later makes my point even more for me

There is zero intention of writing new music.  There biggest priority is touring and makin tons of money
Like you said if they actually wanted to write new music they would of held the tour off
Or wrote something before they announced the tour
Or wrote something durring one of the many breaks of this tour
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2017, 03:53:54 PM »

You flat out said this was a reunited gnr

It isn't

It's an other version of the band featuring Slash and duff

Gnr is not reunited

Your point about the tour starting a year later makes my point even more for me

There is zero intention of writing new music.  There biggest priority is touring and makin tons of money
Like you said if they actually wanted to write new music they would of held the tour off
Or wrote something before they announced the tour
Or wrote something durring one of the many breaks of this tour

Yeah, I said it's a reunited GN'R. You know what I was talking about.

It is a semi reunited GN'R, better now?

This tour is all about the three of them getting back together. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

Business-wise it makes a lot of sense doing it the way they are. They are drawing stadiums around the world based on the three of them together again.

Then, save the new music card for the next round. Maybe they're able to do it all again then.

Sweetness is a virtue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: