Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 97687 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« on: January 03, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »

Here's the new thread for the 2017 season!

Because it's Jan 3rd and pitchers and catchers report in about 5-6 weeks.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:13:37 PM »

Raines, Pudge and Bagwell to the HOF with Hoffman and Vlad just short.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »

Nice to see 2 all time Yankee greats  Tongue  Wink  and whoever that other guy is, get into the Hall!!

Seriously, though, Pudge's reaction to the call was just a  genuine, touching, moment in sports.  He was a such a great character guy, I'm glad he got in.

Raines might have been the only guy I ever saw, in his prime, as fast as Rickey Henderson.  By the time he joined the Yanks (you're welcome for those two WS rings), his body had broken down and his wheels were not what they were.  But while he was with the Expos...holy crap could that guy move! On the bases AND in the field.

Bagwell was a little bit of a surprise to me....not that he eventually made it in, but that he made it in with as high of a % as he did.  I figured he'd end up around 77% or so this vote.  86%, along with the big increases by Bonds and Clemens (and the fact that Pudge was in Canseco's book, I guess), seems to indicate the steroid stance might be softening (and yes, I know Bagwell's use was only rumored...but writers admitted it effected their vote those first few years).

Congrats to the HOF class of 2017!!

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »

I know he will be in next year ... but how do people not vote for Vladimir ?

Silly stuff

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »

Silly stuff

Agreed, Vlad was awesome.  In an era obsessed with on-base % and 15-pitch at-bats, you could always count on him to swing the bat, even hitting pitches bounced off the dirt.  A true hacker, might have been the last of his kind. 
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »

Silly stuff

Victim of the 10 player limit, for sure!

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 12:44:57 AM »

Some of thees guys better get in next year cause in 19 and 20 you got Yankee greats Rivera and Jeter and there's no way in hell they aren't first balloters.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »

Some of thees guys better get in next year cause in 19 and 20 you got Yankee greats Rivera and Jeter and there's no way in hell they aren't first balloters.

Vlad and Hoffman are locks next year on along with Chipper Jones and Jim Thome as first ball ballot guys.

The only effect the Jeter/Rivera inductions will have will be voters who keep them off their ballots for the sole purpose of trying to keep low % guys on the ballot knowing full well those 2 are getting in regardless of a couple lost votes here and there.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »

Seriously, though, Pudge's reaction to the call was just a  genuine, touching, moment in sports.  He was a such a great character guy, I'm glad he got in.

Happy for Pudge too.

Couple of quick stories, I used to see him in the gym a few days a week when he played for the Tulsa Drillers (Texas' AA farm team at the time), he was built like a fire plug eve then and couldn't speak English just yet.

I was also at his wedding, along with about 5000 other people - he got married before a game at Driller Park!

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »

Another one WAY too young has passed, the Royals Yordano Ventura gone at 25.

https://twitter.com/Royals/status/823215569583411200

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:22 AM »

Vlad and Hoffman are locks next year on along with Chipper Jones and Jim Thome as first ball ballot guys.

The only effect the Jeter/Rivera inductions will have will be voters who keep them off their ballots for the sole purpose of trying to keep low % guys on the ballot knowing full well those 2 are getting in regardless of a couple lost votes here and there.

Hopefully all those get in next year. I don't know how many votes Rivera or Jeter will get but i'd hate to see one of those not make it in for another 3 years cause there's not enough votes to get them in. You know the vote total for Rivera and Jeter will be high.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »

Another one WAY too young has passed, the Royals Yordano Ventura gone at 25.

https://twitter.com/Royals/status/823215569583411200

This is like the 4th or 5th DR car crash that has taken a young athlete in the past couple years. 

And one boat crash.

Somebody needs to do some Injury Prevention (and I'm not joking or being glib) with these young athletes around operating motor vehicles.  They're engaging in ridiculously risky behaviors, needlessly.  They do programs in the workplace for high risk populations....it might be time for MLB (especially...they seem to be hitting baseball players particularly hard) to take some action.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »

Cards get punishment for Astros hacking.

2 mil and their first 2 picks in the '17 draft to Houston.

Those 2 picks carry with them $1,853,200 in bonus pool allotment. Cards left with little over $2M for entire draft.

Former Cards scouting director Chris Correa who did the hacking has also been suspended for life from MLB.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:08:00 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 07:12:53 AM »

Twelve. Days. Wink !!!!

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 12:10:27 PM »

Let's go Jays !

In airport.  On way to Vegas to watch the super bowl

Am going to bet the Jays to win it all

If there is a bet for the Yankees to blow and stink and be horrible I will put that one down as well cause that's sure moneyv
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 07:35:36 AM »

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS!!!!!!!! Smiley

Together again,
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 09:58:36 AM »

Its back!  Time to start the road trip planning.  Spring fever is in the air
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 10:06:21 PM »

MLB has now instituted the "Autowalk" for the 2017 season instead of the pitcher actually having to throw 4 balls to a batter on an intentional walk.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/02/21/report-mlb-approves-new-rule-allowing-a-dugout-signal-for-an-intentional-walk/

Angry Sad Huh Roll Eyes Embarrassed no rant

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 07:54:51 AM »

MLB has now instituted the "Autowalk" for the 2017 season instead of the pitcher actually having to throw 4 balls to a batter on an intentional walk.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/02/21/report-mlb-approves-new-rule-allowing-a-dugout-signal-for-an-intentional-walk/

Angry Sad Huh Roll Eyes Embarrassed no rant
At least that's the only change for now. That starting with a runner on second base in extra innings rule sounds utterly ridiculous to me. I hope they don't go there. The autowalk doesn't bother me so much. I mean, I don't think it'll save that much time and I think it's a bit Little Leaguish, but it could be worse.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »

Yeah, I'm with faldor on the "no" to the runner on 2nd in extras. Thats lame.

I'm OK with the signal for intentional walks. It both speeds things up and saves pitches on the arms....both good things.

Apparently MLB is going to notify the union today that they are using the CB "nuclear option" to make unilateral changes including adding pitch clocks, modifying (or automating...which they won't do) the strike zone, and limiting visits to the mound.  This after negotiations with the union, which they'd hoped might bring changes THIS season, went nowhere.

I'm pretty much against the first 2...but I'm pretty sure a pitch clock is inevitable.  I'm totally fine with limiting MANAGER visits to the mound to a set number per game, with all other visits leading to a pitching change. It will be interesting to see if MLB includes a rule about CATCHER visits. If they do that, they better also crack down on sign stealing and the like, making those offenses punishable by outs on the bases, fines on the teams, etc.

Together again,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: