Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 98078 times)
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »

Pedro also drilled Jeter and Soriano in the hands back to back to start a game once...and admitted he hit them on purpose.

Yes he did. Again, I never claimed Pedro never hit guys on purpose. I simply do not recall him hitting anyone in the head. Pilferk says it happened though so I guess we have to believe him. I am quite certain that he never hit anyone in the head under similar circumstances to Betances.

Listen, intentional or not Betances should have been thrown out without hesitation and given a token suspension like the rest of the guys. There was too much going on in that game to let anything slide. Did the Tigers pitcher who hit Frazier afterwards get thrown out or suspended? He should have too if he didn't.

Up and In is Up and In...dangerous to be throwing at peoples hands...

That was one of the wildest games I had seen in terms of that kind of thing... we of course have no way of knowing what goes on inside somebody's head, and not to repeat what has already been said....it seems unlikely due to the game circumstance that Betances was trying to hit that batter at all.

Throw him out regardless... If that makes you feel better... I don't know.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2017, 06:34:11 AM »

Right, which is no different than you thinking that Betances didn't do it on purpose because you didn't think he did. I'm glad we finally established that after going back and forth for weeks. You brought Pedro into this and changed the argument by the way. Crafty work on your part.

Except, it's not.

Let me lay it out for you:

Me: "He didn't do it because a), b), c), d) and e)."  I gave you examples, and reasons, and history.

You: "Yes he did. I have no actual reasons why or evidence or examples of him doing it in the past or...well, anything. He just did. And you're never going to change my mind." You contributed nothing other than repeating that its your opinion and your right to it, over and over.  Which is true.  But it colors that opinion for everyone else reading, too.

Pedro was an example of your hypocrisy. It didn't change the conversation. It further proved my point. And you've continued, by trying to find any reason you can to deny it, to prove that point. When it's not "your guy", it's torches and pitchforks. When it's "your guy", it's "I don't recall" and "He didn't mean it" and "He didn't do that in the exact same specific situation".

So, you're right. Going back and forth is useless. Basically because your "forth" is sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes, and loudly chanting "blah blah blah".

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:29:44 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »

Pedro also drilled Jeter and Soriano in the hands back to back to start a game once...and admitted he hit them on purpose.

Yes he did. Again, I never claimed Pedro never hit guys on purpose. I simply do not recall him hitting anyone in the head. Pilferk says it happened though so I guess we have to believe him. I am quite certain that he never hit anyone in the head under similar circumstances to Betances.

Listen, intentional or not Betances should have been thrown out without hesitation and given a token suspension like the rest of the guys. There was too much going on in that game to let anything slide. Did the Tigers pitcher who hit Frazier afterwards get thrown out or suspended? He should have too if he didn't.

Up and In is Up and In...dangerous to be throwing at peoples hands...

That was one of the wildest games I had seen in terms of that kind of thing... we of course have no way of knowing what goes on inside somebody's head, and not to repeat what has already been said....it seems unlikely due to the game circumstance that Betances was trying to hit that batter at all.

Throw him out regardless... If that makes you feel better... I don't know.

Agree, on all counts.  I get why he was tossed, and had no issue with it. But everything considered, that's where it ends.

It was likely not intentional, by any reasonable and objective measure.  He's STILL being wild and having a hard time with the zone.  And he sailed another one a couple days ago that was, if the batter didn't dive, chin high (though maybe behind...and sailed to the backstop).  Same thing...that slurve grip is being problematic for him right now.

Also, I think at this point we know what faldors assurances about "never hitting a guy in the head in those circumstances" is worth, as his memory regarding Pedro appears a bit spotty. Wink  And, as you point out, a ball at the head is at the head.

I'll also say, again: I would not object to a short suspension, or fine, to ANY pitcher who hits a batter in the head, for ANY reason (even accident). Just eliminate the intent determination altogether. With today's concussion awareness, it would make sense.  But MLB will NOT do it. The MLBPA will NOT agree to it.  They do not want to hand out 20 to 30 suspensions a year for mostly accidental pitches. And, honestly, I don't think it lowers that number any even if they did.  It would just be "for show".  Pitches sometimes get away from guys. It happens.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:47:15 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

Judge just broke the Rookie home run record with his 50th bomb.

After a HORRIFIC 6+ weeks slump, he seems to have woken up for September.  He's hitting .305 with 14 homers in September.....

And people are starting to wonder, again, if he wins the AL MVP.  IDK about that....rookie of the year seems like a no brainer....but he DOES have the exact same WAR as Jose Altuve.

I don't think he wins it, but the fact he's being mentioned is pretty surreal.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2017, 06:11:22 PM »

He will be unanimous ROY for sure. MVP? I don't know i still think Altuve gets it but it'll be closer then we thought going into September.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »

He will be unanimous ROY for sure. MVP? I don't know i still think Altuve gets it but it'll be closer then we thought going into September.

I think Altuve is VERY popular within the baseball community... and they will probably hold the 6 week slump against Judge.. so I think Altuve wins.

I would argue that Judge was more valuable to the Yankees than Altuve is to Houston.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »

Can't disagree with you but all the voters will see is the post all star game slump.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »

These playoffs have the potential to be insane... I think assuming Arizona nd the Yankees win the WC games...only because theya re the favorites... I really think all 8 teams have a chance to win the WS.

Some really really really good teams. Dodgers, Nats, Cubs, Indians, Astros, Sox... all have squads... and Yankees and Arizona.. if pitching gets hot... why not them too.

Should be fun...

as a Yankee fan... just beat Minnesota.... please.... lol. Then it's all gravy.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »

I still think the teams to beat are the Indians/Astros/Cubs/Nats.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »

So the Yankees and Twins get to play one game for the right to get their asses handed to them by Cleveland.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:40 AM »

So the Yankees and Twins get to play one game for the right to get their asses handed to them by Cleveland.

Pretty much (good job Yanks!).

But I mean...winning the AL East gets you the honor of getting your ass handed to you by the Astros, in all likelihood.  I actually like the Yanks matchups against Cleveland vs the Yanks matchups vs Houston (they both suck, but the Indians matchup sucks less).

And the Sox matchup AWFUL against the 'stros.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:33:12 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »

But I mean...winning the AL East gets you the honor of getting your ass handed to you by the Astros, in all likelihood.  I actually like the Yanks matchups against Cleveland vs the Yanks matchups vs Houston (they both suck, but the Indians matchup sucks less).

Last nights win was all I wanted ... it's now a free roll for us!

I see no reason why we can't steal game 1 with some momentum against Bauer and then who knows.

I'm pumped!

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »

Last nights win was all I wanted ... it's now a free roll for us!

I see no reason why we can't steal game 1 with some momentum against Bauer and then who knows.

I'm pumped!

Agree.

Last night pretty much was "enough" for me, too.  To be honest, I didn't expect even THAT much this year.  So them making the ALDS is pretty much the whip cream on top of the sundae that was this season.

If they can take game one, in Cleveland, all bets are off.  They then need to play .500 baseball over the next 4 to win the series....with 2 home games in that mix.  I think they can do that.

If they lose game 1, don't like their chances of taking 3 of 4, especially with Kubel going in game 2.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »

Sox beat up by the 'stros.

3 batters in to the Indians/Yankees and the ump is already proving he can't call balls and strikes. Hope the Yanks get those calls below and inside the zone!  Because those are NOT strikes.

Yup, totally inconsistent strike zone between the two teams.  Crowd umping at it's finest.

Look, I expect the Yanks to lose here, but I don't think the umps need to help out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:56:22 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »

Welp.....

Game 2 was absolutely devastating..... Couldn't eat or sleep!

This should be over and done with... but if you told me we'd be in this game 5 with a chance... I would have signed...

Lets goooooooooooo

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »

Time to pray Kluber has an off night.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2017, 07:53:56 AM »

Welp.....

This should be over and done with... but if you told me we'd be in this game 5 with a chance... I would have signed...

Lets goooooooooooo

It just ticks me off. Girardi reviews that foul tip and EVERYTHING breaks the same, and the Yanks win the series 3-1.  Now...likely it DOESN'T break the same (Cleveland would have pitched differently, maybe), but its still frustrating.

I'll take the game 5.  But I will never forget/forgive that lapse in judgement by Girardi.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »

Time to pray Kluber has an off night.

....again.  Because he was not good in game 2.

I don't think we can count on another off game in game 5. It would be nice, but...

CCs gonna have to put up zeros for 5 or 6, and then we're gonna have to ride our bullpen, and pray for a "bird" again.

We'll see.  Watch, it'll end up another 9-8 extra innings slugfest.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »

Welp.....

Lets goooooooooooo

It just ticks me off. Girardi reviews that foul tip and EVERYTHING breaks the same, and the Yanks win the series 3-1.  Now...likely it DOESN'T break the same (Cleveland would have pitched differently, maybe), but its still frustrating.

I'll take the game 5.  But I will never forget/forgive that lapse in judgement by Girardi.

I didn't want to go in to it... I was glad when I saw nobody brought it up the day after... but I completely agree.. it's sickening.. and unless they win tonight... I will never get over it...

Forget the fact that he ran out there to get CC entirely way too early.. and it's not second guessing.. because I was screaming at the time.

Like you said .. he challenges everything.... but this... it's hard to explain.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »

Sox not bringing Farrell back. Which I think is a little odd, given his success.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: