Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 Baseball Season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 98084 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »

Just a fyi also. Apparently every time the Yanks have started 5-0 at home int he postseason they've gone to the world series.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2017, 11:37:38 PM »

Well i was hoping the Yanks could pull it off but coming into the season i would have been happy to just be in the playoffs. I still feel t hey're a year or two away from being a legit contender. Need another starter or two. The Astros have never one and the Dodgers not since 88 so i can't complain.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #242 on: October 26, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »

So Girardi out as Yankees manager.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »

I was too bummed after Houston to come on here and talk about it...

but I need to chime in on Girardi... I think this is ridiculous...

I don't worship Girardi or anything, but imo he has done nothing short of a great job during his tenure, for a variety of different reasons at different times (handling the retiring hall of famers, always competing while the team is rebuilding, and dealing with the media while for the most part never losing his cool).

What if they beat Houston and then LA? Do they still not bring him back? I mean c'mon... what a year they had with no expectations... and to now go in to an UNKNOWN at this time when the future was so bright is worrisome to me.... the wrong hire could be a major setback next year when expectations will be through the roof... so the new guy comes in with alllll the pressure in the world.

Sounds like this is just Cashman deciding he doesn't want to work with him anymore because of some personal nonsense.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2017, 09:08:57 PM »

I agree i think it is the wrong move. Those kids in that clubhouse would've run through a wall for Joe. Now you're gonna bring in someone new who doesn't know them and could possibly set them back a few years.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #245 on: October 30, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »

I agree i think it is the wrong move. Those kids in that clubhouse would've run through a wall for Joe. Now you're gonna bring in someone new who doesn't know them and could possibly set them back a few years.

Supposedly, from what's coming out now...that is NOT the case.  The young kids were not happy with Joe's micromanaging and some of his more old school management techniques.  As more information comes out, it seems like mid season (when they slumped), he sort of lost the clubhouse.  It sounds like he was NOT the guy who pulled them out of that, or motivated them to get out of it, or whatever.  That was "other people in the clubhouse" (Todd Frasier has specifically been mentioned...but so has Rob Thomson).

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »

Supposedly, from what's coming out now...that is NOT the case.  The young kids were not happy with Joe's micromanaging and some of his more old school management techniques.  As more information comes out, it seems like mid season (when they slumped), he sort of lost the clubhouse.  It sounds like he was NOT the guy who pulled them out of that, or motivated them to get out of it, or whatever.  That was "other people in the clubhouse" (Todd Frasier has specifically been mentioned...but so has Rob Thomson).

I am just concerned with the direction the sport is going in as a whole.... these hot shot general managers just want YES men in there who are going to implement their genius WAR numbers and what not.

The GM wants to be the wizard of all things.

The time of the grizzled hard ass manager is done with (not that Girardi was that).

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »

Last night's game not withstanding (it was over early), it was a GREAT world series!!  Nice to see the Astros win their first, ever.

Darvish was tipping his pitches. His hand doesn't move in the glove EVERY time he throws the FB.  And there is obvious movement in the glove for every slider.  I'm not sure how anyone on the Dodgers hasn't noticed and let him know. Or maybe they have and he just can't fix it.

Now the crazy off season to begin!!!  So many teams making managerial changes, and the FA market is going to be interesting!  I expect a LOT of trades this off season, too.  So many teams are "pieces" away from being really, really good.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »

Last night's game not withstanding (it was over early), it was a GREAT world series!!  Nice to see the Astros win their first, ever.

Darvish was tipping his pitches. His hand doesn't move in the glove EVERY time he throws the FB.  And there is obvious movement in the glove for every slider.  I'm not sure how anyone on the Dodgers hasn't noticed and let him know. Or maybe they have and he just can't fix it.

Now the crazy off season to begin!!!  So many teams making managerial changes, and the FA market is going to be interesting!  I expect a LOT of trades this off season, too.  So many teams are "pieces" away from being really, really good.

I had trouble getting in to the games after the Yankee loss...

The Dodgers lost the series in game 4... Kershaw CAN'T blow those leads....

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #249 on: November 03, 2017, 06:56:02 AM »

I had trouble getting in to the games after the Yankee loss...

The Dodgers lost the series in game 4... Kershaw CAN'T blow those leads....

Once the Yanks loss, I started rooting for the Astros.  Besides the obvious reasons, George Springer is a local boy, went to school about 15 miles from here (I'm good friends with one of his old teachers), and he's the cousin of one of our friends (who lives here in town) so we went to rooting hard for him!  It obviously worked!! Smiley

I know that they have a big MVP party planned up here in a few weeks!!  Might try to get myself an invite. Wink

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »

Roy Halladay dead at 40, very sad.

Watch this:

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/928057506701570048

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:59 AM »

Roy Halladay dead at 40, very sad.

Watch this:

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/928057506701570048

Terrible tragedy. He was one of the guys I most respected (and feared) on the mound. In his heyday, he was almost unhittable.

I will say: These players who become pilots might want to learn their history.  Small planes and ball players have not had a very good track record.  Too many have died way too young when their Cessna (or whatever) went down.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »

So Aaron Boone new Yankee manager. Thoughts Pilf? Jaeball?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #253 on: December 02, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »

A month has passed and it still hurts like hell.
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #254 on: December 02, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »

After seeing who the candidates were.... I guess I am indifferent on the choice...

Not happy, not mad, we'll see....

The only thing I take away from the whole thing was they must have really hated Girardi to part ways after how great of a season they just had... and they didn't really have a replacement waiting in the wings.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2017, 01:51:08 AM »

I think he'll do ok. The talent is there for him to succeed with.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #256 on: December 11, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »

I'm OK with it.

I've watched him a lot in the broadcast booth, and he's a good strategy guy.  I think he'll do pretty well on the player "interface" stuff because he's a relatively young guy, who I think will be able to help those guys out a lot.

BUT......HOLY FUCK WEASELS: STANTON!?!

That fucking blew my mind.  We were down in Orlando, visiting the mouse, and I checked twitter while in line at the Haunted Mansion and thought I must have actually been on Twilight Zone.  No freaking way.

We are, IMHO, one good starter away from being a WS favorite.  The Astros rotation still, in my mind, gives them the edge. But it just got a WHOLE lot closer.

Wonder what the Sox (and the rest of the AL East) will try to do at the winter meetings to hold serve.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #257 on: December 11, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »

This presser...it's surreal.  It's not quite "CC and AJ" surreal, but it's pretty damn close.

Literally the best player (IMHO) in baseball is joining the Yanks, and.....I mean....I don't feel they gave up all that much for him.  Castro was an exciting, excellent, player...to be sure...but not irreplaceable. The two minor leaguers look like solid prospects, but....even Guzman, with his velocity, isn't ready for prime time.  66 innings with Staten Island last season isn't making a MLB leap any easier (or sooner).  And the SS prospect...DD looks to be the Yanks SS for the next 10 years or so.

I feel like the Yanks robbed the Marlins, blind, and should be sending Jeter a Thank You card and a nice fruit basket.  I get Miami just couldn't handle the contract, but....ye gods......

This lineup could be scary.

Together again,
JAEBALL
Legend

« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »

This presser...it's surreal.  It's not quite "CC and AJ" surreal, but it's pretty damn close.

Literally the best player (IMHO) in baseball is joining the Yanks, and.....I mean....I don't feel they gave up all that much for him.  Castro was an exciting, excellent, player...to be sure...but not irreplaceable. The two minor leaguers look like solid prospects, but....even Guzman, with his velocity, isn't ready for prime time.  66 innings with Staten Island last season isn't making a MLB leap any easier (or sooner).  And the SS prospect...DD looks to be the Yanks SS for the next 10 years or so.

I feel like the Yanks robbed the Marlins, blind, and should be sending Jeter a Thank You card and a nice fruit basket.  I get Miami just couldn't handle the contract, but....ye gods......

This lineup could be scary.

beer Grin ok peace hihi love

This was an amazing early Christmas present.

Axl Rose IS Skeletor
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #259 on: December 11, 2017, 08:54:31 PM »

We definitely need one more good starter possibly two depending on if we can get CC back. I don't see Pinaeda returning. The only impact player we lost was Castro. The pitcher could be something but like pilf said the SS had no future here. DD is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: