Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:10:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Metallica New Album Free With Ticket Purchase, Come On Guns!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metallica New Album Free With Ticket Purchase, Come On Guns!!!  (Read 26036 times)
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »

RHCP just came through here.  The setlist was a god damn nightmare.  I'd be so pissed if had I spent money on tickets.

What was wrong with it? I'm taking the Missus to see them in June Embarrassed

I am still waiting for this question to be answered for myself....

Sounds like he didn't even go to the show and then is complaining about it.....

hahaha, at least when I complain about a guns n roses horrible setlist, I have actually been to a previous show with the exact same set list.  And actually got experience the show for what it is

Complaining about a set list for a show you have never seen, would be like complaining about a movie you havnt seen because you read the screenplay and hated it
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »

RHCP just came through here.  The setlist was a god damn nightmare.  I'd be so pissed if had I spent money on tickets.

Can't speak for someone else but I've found that most RHCP critics would like them to play Blood Sugar start to finish and almost nothing they have released in the last 15 years.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 11:09:44 AM »

Perhaps I was unclear. 

When tickets went on sale, I did not buy them.  Thought about it, because I had never seen them.  But, didn't move on it.

And after seeing what they played here...thank fucking god.  Unless this is your idea of a great show :

Philly Night #1

Intro Jam
Around the World
Snow ((Hey Oh))
The Zephyr Song
Dark Necessities
Hard to Concentrate
Me & My Friends
Go Robot
Don't Forget Me
Sick Love
Parallel Universe
The Longest Wave
Suck My Kiss
Under the Bridge
By the Way

Encore :

Goodbye Angels
Give It Away

Philly Night #2

Intro Jam
Can't Stop
Dani California
Scar Tissue
Dark Necessities
Hey
Out in L.A.
Factory of Faith
Go Robot
Californication
What Is Soul? [Funkadelic cover] 
Sick Love
Sir Psycho Sexy
They're Red Hot [Robert Johnson cover] 
Detroit
Higher Ground [Stevie Wonder cover] 
Soul to Squeeze
By the Way

Encore:

Goodbye Angels
Give It Away

Now, let's establish a few things.

- I am no diehard RHCP fan.  Like their stuff, but I'm little more than a GH type fan.  I don't need to know every song at a show to enjoy it.  But I see a lot of time being bored here.

- Assuming I bought tickets, I'd have been there night 1.  Night 1 is the weaker of the 2 shows, IMO.

- Show is kind of short, no?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »

Can't speak for someone else but I've found that most RHCP critics would like them to play Blood Sugar start to finish and almost nothing they have released in the last 15 years.

A bit exxagerated, but not totally offbase.  Not everyone in the building is a RHCP lifer though.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 11:37:55 AM »

I'd be thrilled with that Night 1 setlist smoking

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »

I'd like to see Flea's bass rammed up his arse, give him a reason to pull those stupid faces all the time. Id pay to see that if it was on the setlist.

I can't quite work out Baconman's thinking here. You call Guns sets 'horrible', yet they're playing all their hits. At the same time you don't want to see RHCP play anything new. I don't get the logic there at all. What is it you want from a live gig?!

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »

That's why I chimed in intially.

If you were looking for a trip down RHCP memory lane, this current tour ain't it.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2017, 04:54:21 PM »

Perhaps I was unclear. 

When tickets went on sale, I did not buy them.  Thought about it, because I had never seen them.  But, didn't move on it.

And after seeing what they played here...thank fucking god.  Unless this is your idea of a great show :

Philly Night #1

Intro Jam
Around the World
Snow ((Hey Oh))
The Zephyr Song
Dark Necessities
Hard to Concentrate
Me & My Friends
Go Robot
Don't Forget Me
Sick Love
Parallel Universe
The Longest Wave
Suck My Kiss
Under the Bridge
By the Way

Encore :

Goodbye Angels
Give It Away

Philly Night #2

Intro Jam
Can't Stop
Dani California
Scar Tissue
Dark Necessities
Hey
Out in L.A.
Factory of Faith
Go Robot
Californication
What Is Soul? [Funkadelic cover] 
Sick Love
Sir Psycho Sexy
They're Red Hot [Robert Johnson cover] 
Detroit
Higher Ground [Stevie Wonder cover] 
Soul to Squeeze
By the Way

Encore:

Goodbye Angels
Give It Away

Now, let's establish a few things.

- I am no diehard RHCP fan.  Like their stuff, but I'm little more than a GH type fan.  I don't need to know every song at a show to enjoy it.  But I see a lot of time being bored here.

- Assuming I bought tickets, I'd have been there night 1.  Night 1 is the weaker of the 2 shows, IMO.

- Show is kind of short, no?

you are judging a live concert event, just from words on a screen and your own opinion on it...

How on earth could you actually tell how much you would of enjoyed the show.   

Judging from those two set lists you supplied, I am def a very soft core fan.  I don't know half the songs.   

I will post how my feelings are on the show after I see them in may.  Or should I just stay home and write a review off of a posted set list hahaha

One other thing

Looks like they switch things up pretty good for the second nights show in the same city or market.  Lucky fans of this band.  Wish Guns would do the same
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »

you are judging a live concert event, just from words on a screen and your own opinion on it...

Judging from those two set lists you supplied, I am def a very soft core fan.  I don't know half the songs. 

Is this really cracking the DaVinci code, brah?

You said it yourself.  You don't know half these songs.  Neither do I.  That's the point.

There are some bands where that would not matter to me.  This is not one of those bands.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 12:48:30 PM »

Is this really cracking the DaVinci code, brah?

You said it yourself.  You don't know half these songs.  Neither do I.  That's the point.

There are some bands where that would not matter to me.  This is not one of those bands.

If I created a set list off of songs I know it would be like a 5 song concert hahaha

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »

Just off the top of my head, I would think all of these songs were at every RHCP concert :

Higher Ground
Under The Bridge
Give It Away
Suck My Kiss
Soul To Squeeze
Scar Tissue
Californication
Otherside
By The Way
Dani California

And then the rest of the set is filled with whatever.

But to only get lie, 3 or 4 of those, and then the rest is filled in with whatever?  Doens't cut it for me.

In fact, I'll probably give real though about ever seeing them.

allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »

Just off the top of my head, I would think all of these songs were at every RHCP concert :

Higher Ground
Under The Bridge
Give It Away
Suck My Kiss
Soul To Squeeze
Scar Tissue
Californication
Otherside
By The Way
Dani California

But to only get lie, 3 or 4 of those, and then the rest is filled in with whatever?  Doens't cut it for me.

I bet it would be pretty good for big RHCP fans though, who get tired of the band playing the same songs all the time? It's a tough one to call. I was a big Oasis fan, and it used to grind on me that they played 'the hits' every gig, and not that much else. Then I took a friend to see them, who'd never seen them before and he loved it as they played all the hits. It's a tough one to call- bands are damned if they do, damned if they don't really.

"Beyond the realms of dedication, venturing worryingly deep sometimes into obsessional delusion"
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »

I bet it would be pretty good for big RHCP fans though, who get tired of the band playing the same songs all the time? It's a tough one to call. I was a big Oasis fan, and it used to grind on me that they played 'the hits' every gig, and not that much else. Then I took a friend to see them, who'd never seen them before and he loved it as they played all the hits. It's a tough one to call- bands are damned if they do, damned if they don't really.

I don't think so.  I think it's actually clear cut.  To me, it all comes down where you play and what you charge.

The bigger the venue, the more casuals you will draw.  The higher the price, the fewer chances you can take.

In other words, when GNR is playing stadiums and charging $100-250 a seat, you have to load that setlist up with the hits and the better known songs.  You can't charge those proces and say you are skipping SCOM or YCBM.  They need to be heard, or people are pissed.  A song like 'Coma' is the true outlier.  And, I'll bet if you asked people who saw this past tour, a lot of people would say that was not a highlight of the show to them.

Flipside, if you play a smaller place at a lower price, you are all but telling people that this is not your usual show.  That sort of show is for the diehards.  There you can skip some of the hits.  Or play a totally reworked version of them.  You can play album cuts. 

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »

Higher Ground
Under The Bridge
Give It Away
Suck My Kiss
Soul To Squeeze
Scar Tissue
Californication
Otherside
By The Way
Dani California

Good list, I would just add Aeroplane and Breaking the Girl.  I agree with you about that setlist but then again I barely even qualify as a casual fan of RHCP.
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 03:49:30 PM »

I don't think so.  I think it's actually clear cut.  To me, it all comes down where you play and what you charge.

The bigger the venue, the more casuals you will draw.  The higher the price, the fewer chances you can take.

In other words, when GNR is playing stadiums and charging $100-250 a seat, you have to load that setlist up with the hits and the better known songs.  You can't charge those proces and say you are skipping SCOM or YCBM.  They need to be heard, or people are pissed.  A song like 'Coma' is the true outlier.  And, I'll bet if you asked people who saw this past tour, a lot of people would say that was not a highlight of the show to them.

Flipside, if you play a smaller place at a lower price, you are all but telling people that this is not your usual show.  That sort of show is for the diehards.  There you can skip some of the hits.  Or play a totally reworked version of them.  You can play album cuts. 

Yeah, I guess size of the venue/cost are the big ones now you mention it. Much as I'd love GNR to run through Breakdown, Locomotive, Catcher In The Rye, Deadhorse etc, I truly don't expect it. Most you can hope for in a set at a big level is a couple of nods to album tracks/less well known material. I do sort of admire acts like Bob Dylan though that go out there and say "that was then, this is now, and to hell with what people want". They do end up playing smaller venues though, but there's a certain 'fuck you' attitude to it which I admire. They're prepared to take a cut on what they earn in order to play different stuff. That's sort of admirable.

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »

I do totally agree with this statement and it hold true for most bands

BUT

Guns N Roses, no matter the size of the venue or crowd, have primarily been playing the same set list, with the a bunch of covers, for many many many many years.

You could almost argue that these bigger shows have seen more deep cuts/odd ball songs from guns, along with more covers....   But again I would say no matter the size of the crowd or venue with this band 85% of the set list has been the same
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:34:01 PM by TheBaconman » Logged
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »

Yeah, I guess size of the venue/cost are the big ones now you mention it. Much as I'd love GNR to run through Breakdown, Locomotive, Catcher In The Rye, Deadhorse etc, I truly don't expect it. Most you can hope for in a set at a big level is a couple of nods to album tracks/less well known material. I do sort of admire acts like Bob Dylan though that go out there and say "that was then, this is now, and to hell with what people want". They do end up playing smaller venues though, but there's a certain 'fuck you' attitude to it which I admire. They're prepared to take a cut on what they earn in order to play different stuff. That's sort of admirable.

It may be admirable but everyone I know that saw Bob Dylan in the last 15 years was wildly disappointed.  They weren't necessarily hardcore fans but I'd say that demographic makes up 80% of the crowd even in a smaller venue.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 05:04:12 PM »

It may be admirable but everyone I know that saw Bob Dylan in the last 15 years was wildly disappointed.  They weren't necessarily hardcore fans but I'd say that demographic makes up 80% of the crowd even in a smaller venue.

Oh man

Now we are going to have read this one guys Love of Bob Dylan and how him and his dad just loved the show, while he wore his ball cap.....
allwaystired
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »

Oh man

Now we are going to have read this one guys Love of Bob Dylan and how him and his dad just loved the show, while he wore his ball cap.....

Huh? I don't get that comment!

I saw Dylan recently- fucking loved it. Barely knew anything in the set (but I knew that was going to be the case) but it was fantastic. Everyone I know that has seen him thought he was shit though yeah! I think I got lucky to be honest- the show got a 5/5 review in a lot of papers, and all the reviewers were surprised! For some reason, the show just worked!

TheBaconman
Legend

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2017, 05:46:58 PM »

Oh man

Huh? I don't get that comment!

I saw Dylan recently- fucking loved it. Barely knew anything in the set (but I knew that was going to be the case) but it was fantastic. Everyone I know that has seen him thought he was shit though yeah! I think I got lucky to be honest- the show got a 5/5 review in a lot of papers, and all the reviewers were surprised! For some reason, the show just worked!

You are going to have to wait for this one....
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: