Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2021 US Summer Tour (was: 2021 North America Stadium Tour)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2021 US Summer Tour (was: 2021 North America Stadium Tour)  (Read 133961 times)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 12:56:19 PM »

I share these sentiments about Izzy's supposed affect on ticket sales.  We heard that same shit about Adler.  We were all at those shows.  How may folks did any of you talk to about Izzy Stradlin or Steven Adler?

Can they sell stadiums out this time around?  Dunno.  But it should not be lost on folks that they are only in major cities.  Philly, Chicago, NY/NJ, Boston.  Lot of folks there.

Also, all bands do internal research.  My guess is the the numbers all but guarantee that they can draw more than arena sized crowds.  Perhaps 100% capacity stadiums, but enough extra seats that they would be leaving money on the table if they stuck to arenas.

Plus it’s during the Summer time which I think is smart.  I know here in the Pacific Northwest we only get two months of Summer ( July & August).  hihi

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 01:09:39 PM »

I get that new music doesn't make a huge difference to the casual fan or who is playing on stage most people probably only know Axl and Slash but I just think it's time for them to move on creatively and put out new music ,I wouldn't expect them to play a lot of songs from it when doing a stadium tour maybe 3 or 4 which would really inject a new energy into the show .
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 01:25:42 PM »

I share these sentiments about Izzy's supposed affect on ticket sales.  We heard that same shit about Adler.  We were all at those shows.  How may folks did any of you talk to about Izzy Stradlin or Steven Adler?

Can they sell stadiums out this time around?  Dunno.  But it should not be lost on folks that they are only in major cities.  Philly, Chicago, NY/NJ, Boston.  Lot of folks there.

Also, all bands do internal research.  My guess is the the numbers all but guarantee that they can draw more than arena sized crowds.  Perhaps 100% capacity stadiums, but enough extra seats that they would be leaving money on the table if they stuck to arenas.

You make a really good point about internal research but I question the timing of the research versus the announcement. This is a massive year for concerts and one of the biggest I’ve seen in some time.

You’ve got legends like Elton John, Roger waters and Rod Stewart; reunions like MCR and Rage; and stadiums like Crue/Leppard, Hagar/etc and Greenday/etc.

I think they announced too late. On a personal note, I’m buying tickets for their show on presale tomorrow as well as Chris Stapleton tickets. I’m lucky to be able to cover that but I doubt my finances can stretch much further. I’ve got tickets for five other shows between April and August and maybe festivals in the fall.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:31:03 PM by NaturalLight » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 01:28:21 PM »

I get that new music doesn't make a huge difference to the casual fan or who is playing on stage most people probably only know Axl and Slash but I just think it's time for them to move on creatively and put out new music ,I wouldn't expect them to play a lot of songs from it when doing a stadium tour maybe 3 or 4 which would really inject a new energy into the show .

At bare minimum, the lead single would be on the radio and social media.  It would be known.

I don't know how long you can rely on the "new" song in your setlist simply being a 29 year old tune that just hasn't been played live in 28 years.

Unless that's how you want to roll, which is fine.  But then you are The Eagles.  You are Buffet.  That's who you are now.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »

At bare minimum, the lead single would be on the radio and social media.  It would be known.

I don't know how long you can rely on the "new" song in your setlist simply being a 29 year old tune that just hasn't been played live in 28 years.

Unless that's how you want to roll, which is fine.  But then you are The Eagles.  You are Buffet.  That's who you are now.

It's awfully depressing to see GNR, a band with so much creative potential, slip into that category so willingly.  Cry

C'mon fellas, don't "go quietly into that good night".
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 02:19:01 PM »

It's awfully depressing to see GNR, a band with so much creative potential, slip into that category so willingly.  Cry

Is it that big a shock though?

They are a legacy band at this point, really.  And what percentage of people in those stadiums this year are coming for anything but songs from their youth?  It's small.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 02:22:57 PM »

Is it that big a shock though?

They are a legacy band at this point, really.  And what percentage of people in those stadiums this year are coming for anything but songs from their youth?  It's small.

You're spot on, but I think with GNR fans like you and I who have been following the band for a long time, a follow up to Chinese Democracy, especially one with Slash and Duff, falls into the category of "unfinished business".  It's never going to feel entirely "right" until that's delivered upon.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »

Once again, what is the magic number of new songs that need to be in the setlist for you to stop posting the same old comments?

I just wanna see what kind of expectations you have. I'm curious.

So just post a number or a % of songs in the setlist. Thanks!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 02:27:50 PM »

Once again, what is the magic number of new songs that need to be in the setlist for you to stop posting the same old comments?

/jarmo

I think it more has to do with re-branding, and pushing things forward, as in knowing there's new music to support with these shows.  You're right, they don't really need to shake things up with the sets all that much, because a good 90% of the crowd is there for the hits.  That's just how it is and it's fine.  But with Slash and Duff back in the fold, who doesn't want to know what new music from them would sound like?  

Keep in mind, the last time "new" music was put out the singles were You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, November Rain, etc. It's a big deal for even 1 or 2 new songs from the current lineup to be in there somewhere.  This isn't Aerosmith or The Stones who have put out several new albums since the early 90s.  For GNR, new music would be a huge moment.
Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 02:31:51 PM »

So does anyone know if the Nightrain presale is worth the money/hassle these days, or have you found that buying tix when they go on sale to the general public still gets you good seats? (I'm not interested in GA floor tickets, but want to get some decent seats near-ish to the stage.)

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »

So does anyone know if the Nightrain presale is worth the money/hassle these days, or have you found that buying tix when they go on sale to the general public still gets you good seats? (I'm not interested in GA floor tickets, but want to get some decent seats near-ish to the stage.)

I typically just buy tickets off of stub hub, I know I end up paying more but I’d rather pick my seat than just get thrown into a lottery.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
cineater
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »

I won't do presale again.  I've found you get better seats in your price range by waiting for the regular sale.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

It's not about a number of songs.  It's about defining what you are.

DOOR #1- NEW ALBUM :
Guns N' Roses is still a viable, creative and relevant artistic entity still interested in doing new things.  Their shows will continue to reflect a new direction.

DOOR #2- NO NEW ALBUM:
Guns N' Roses is no longer a viable, creative or relevant artistic entity.  They see no point in doing new things.  They know they have enough of a existing fanbase that will gladly come out and pay $BIG DOLLAZ$ to see their Greatest Hits Revue show every few year, comprised of a catalog that is 29 years old (or 12 depending or how much you want to split hairs), and will only get older.

Most people's problem with you, is that you want it both ways.  They can consistently give us Door #2, but you will be god damned if you will admit that out loud.  And will continue to chastise anyone that doubts the reality Door #1 is coming anytime soon...all seemingly based on that rock solid premise, "hey, you never know".

FULL DISCLOSURE : I don't ever expect anything but Door #2 the rest of their days.  Which I think is fine.  Yet I also refuse to concede it's some big crime to say what they are out loud.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2020, 02:58:57 PM »

I think it more has to do with re-branding, and pushing things forward, as in knowing there's new music to support with these shows.  You're right, they don't really need to shake things up with the sets all that much, because a good 90% of the crowd is there for the hits.  That's just how it is and it's fine.  But with Slash and Duff back in the fold, who doesn't want to know what new music from them would sound like?  

Keep in mind, the last time "new" music was put out the singles were You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, November Rain, etc. It's a big deal for even 1 or 2 new songs from the current lineup to be in there somewhere.  This isn't Aerosmith or The Stones who have put out several new albums since the early 90s.  For GNR, new music would be a huge moment.

Aha. So you just want new music released whether or not any of them are played live is another matter.

So new music released makes it ok to buy tickets to a show. And the number of those new songs being included in the setlist is secondary.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2020, 03:01:46 PM »

So new music released makes it ok to buy tickets to a show. And the number of those new songs being included in the setlist is secondary.....

99.7% of us are buying tickets regardless.  A significantly lesser percentage can be honest about what they are buying tickets for.

GNR rakes it either way.  We have fun at the shows.  Everyone wins.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 03:02:03 PM »

It's not about a number of songs.  It's about defining what you are.

One of the biggest hard rock bands in history?

DOOR #1- NEW ALBUM :
Guns N' Roses is still a viable, creative and relevant artistic entity still interested in doing new things.  Their shows will continue to reflect a new direction.

DOOR #2- NO NEW ALBUM:
Guns N' Roses is no longer a viable, creative or relevant artistic entity.  They see no point in doing new things.  They know they have enough of a existing fanbase that will gladly come out and pay $BIG DOLLAZ$ to see their Greatest Hits Revue show every few year, comprised of a catalog that is 29 years old (or 12 depending or how much you want to split hairs), and will only get older.

Most people's problem with you, is that you want it both ways.  They can consistently give us Door #2, but you will be god damned if you will admit that out loud.  And will continue to chastise anyone that doubts the reality Door #1 is coming anytime soon...all seemingly based on that rock solid premise, "hey, you never know".

FULL DISCLOSURE : I don't ever expect anything but Door #2 the rest of their days.  Which I think is fine.  Yet I also refuse to concede it's some big crime to say what they are out loud.

DOOR #3: Guns N' Roses releases new music when they want and not according to other people's schedules, and people still wanna go see them because they love the music that's been released so far.

Yes, I still don't believe that GN'R will never release new music. Unlike you.

/jarmo

Mike McKagan
Rocker

I'm a small town white boy...

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »

I won't do presale again.  I've found you get better seats in your price range by waiting for the regular sale.

Awesome--that's exactly the info I was looking for. I can't imagine they'll be selling out Lucas Oil on day one, and this way I don't have to tack 40 bucks onto the price for re-upping my Nightrain membership. Thanks!

VR--Nashville, TN--10/16/2004
GN'R--Portland, OR--12/11/2006
GN'R--Rosemont, IL--11/15/2011
GN'R--Nashville, TN--07/09/2016
GN'R--Saint Louis, MO--09/09/2023
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 03:09:50 PM »

DOOR #3: Guns N' Roses releases new music when they want and not according to other people's schedules, and people still wanna go see them because they love the music that's been released so far.

Yes, I still don't believe that GN'R will never release new music. Unlike you.

I also lack your vested interest to stay on message and not dare rock the boat.  Which I get.  But can't discount either.

I don't claim to read minds, but I would posit that absent some inside info you are not going to share (and I get that that too, to be clear) you probably tend to lean more towards what we are all saying than you you dare let on.

That being that GNR shows are fun, we should all go and enjoy them, and while it would be cool to hear new stuff from the guys, it's not terribly likely.

It's cool, man. 

sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 03:12:12 PM »

Keep in mind, the last time "new" music was put out the singles were You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, November Rain, etc. It's a big deal for even 1 or 2 new songs from the current lineup to be in there somewhere.  This isn't Aerosmith or The Stones who have put out several new albums since the early 90s.  For GNR, new music would be a huge moment.

Aha. So you just want new music released whether or not any of them are played live is another matter.

/jarmo

For a show I've paid a pretty penny for 3 times already since 2016?  You betcha.  I'm a GNR fan.  Not some passive rock fan who's there to drunkenly scream the chorus to Paradise City.  

I'd love to hear new music, and for the tour to support that.  You act like that's somehow odd. And it's not exactly as though we've been somehow spoiled on that front either.  1 new album in nearly 30 years and all that, and way too many teases regarding more over the past 10 years.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »

/jarmo

7 new songs per show. if they play the same songs twice in a row it dosent count.

Honestly, everytime ive seen them i got atleast 1 new song ive never seen them do before. Personally i have no complaints.
But. its true that a new album would make us all very happy obviously.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »