Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2021 US Summer Tour (was: 2021 North America Stadium Tour)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2021 US Summer Tour (was: 2021 North America Stadium Tour)  (Read 133953 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #360 on: April 28, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »

Yeah, no US tour this year.  You'd lose money on the whole operation.

Every state does it slightly differently, but most all are restricted in some fashion.  You can't make the numbers work.

Axl crying tears of joy at a fresh excuse to delay a new release.

- we're taking a look at everything
- it's not as simple as just putting something out
- there's a lot involved
- we need to figure out the best way to do it
- you have to realize there are a number of factors that only apply to this band and no other artist in the entire industry

...but all of that is for next year, before the tour.  

Let's not spoil the "surprise" when the word comes down from on high, next spring.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #361 on: April 29, 2021, 07:44:28 AM »

Will you ever get bored of repeating that?

It'll be out when it'll be out. Relax.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #362 on: April 29, 2021, 10:37:25 PM »

/jarmo

It's not the people who are bored and bitchy you have to worry about relaxing.  It's the people who got bored and relaxed so much that they don't come running when you want them too.  Not that GNR board traffic is anything more than a sample of your hard core fans who spread the word and interest but it's way down.  Maybe it moved to facebook and I don't see it but interest generated by the net has got a lot of people business.  I would think peak interest would get a lot of people over covid fears.  Just a thought.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2021, 05:59:50 AM »

Yes and no.

Sometimes the ones who bitch the most, are hardcore fans who think their vocal frustrations actually serve a purpose. I guess it feels good to post WE WANT NEW MUSIC for years? I don't know...

But other times the ones doing the most bitching online are the ones who won't be spending any actual money on the things they bitch about....

Maybe I'm cynical, but the ones who claim to need something the most, aren't always the ones who will actually appreciate and enjoy whatever that something is, the most.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:02:29 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2021, 12:37:57 AM »

Yes and no.

Sometimes the ones who bitch the most, are hardcore fans who think their vocal frustrations actually serve a purpose. I guess it feels good to post WE WANT NEW MUSIC for years? I don't know...

But other times the ones doing the most bitching online are the ones who won't be spending any actual money on the things they bitch about....

Maybe I'm cynical, but the ones who claim to need something the most, aren't always the ones who will actually appreciate and enjoy whatever that something is, the most.

/jarmo

I can tell you I don't appreciate them.   hihi 

But I get the frustration.  I lose my shit every once in a while too.  Sometimes I just need my GNR.  Don't gush about it online but it's been a lifeline somedays.  Cheesy

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #365 on: May 01, 2021, 05:49:12 AM »

Everyone's different.

Personally if something frustrated me on a daily basis to the point that I have to type it out and tell the world how much something sucks, I'd just think about whether or not that thing makes me happy or not.

If GN'R never does what you (generally speaking) want them to do, are they still your favorite band? Or is the idea of the perfect band that does things just for you, your favorite band? Huh

I mean, the things that I (and others?) enjoy are still there. No one can take that away from us. The music is still there. Enjoy it.... Hopefully it puts a smile on your face!

For me personally, ever since I became a fan, one of the things that "sold" it to me was that this was a band that did things their way. There's something authentic about it.

Fast forward a few decades and some seem to either have forgotten it, or ignore that fact and act like the band should just change because "This band is doing these things so why can't GN'R?"....

Before someone tries to be smart about what I just said and think I'm making an "excuse" about not releasing albums because other bands release albums. Please. I said GN'R will do what they want, when they want and how they want.

I also get that old habits die hard. Just like people who like to point out that Axl is always late for shows. Even when it's based on their experiences in the 1990s.

/jarmo

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:57:59 AM by jarmo » Logged

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #366 on: May 01, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »

The band appear to have said in the past that new material will come when they can tour to support it, so that appears to be their stance.

To be fair though, it is a good thing that people are frustrated about the lack of a new album. It is when the conversation stops that you worry.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #367 on: May 01, 2021, 02:24:24 PM »

It kinda depends.

I get that what you're basically saying is no frustration equals no demand. But I don't think it's that simple.

All of us will love the day we can either buy a new physical release and/or listen to it on our favorite streaming service.

Some just don't spend the time between now and then professing the difficulty in existing without having that new music on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Smiley

Speaking of touring. A telling sign of the differences in attitudes is the fact that GN'R hasn't played a single show since March 14th, 2020. And once they announced the Australia / New Zealand tour for November 2021, some were quick to point out how they don't like the setlist. I mean.... We have nothing due to a pandemic, and your first priority is the songs they might play? I guess I always preferred something over nothing...

/jarmo

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #368 on: May 02, 2021, 12:39:11 PM »

It kinda depends.

I get that what you're basically saying is no frustration equals no demand. But I don't think it's that simple.

All of us will love the day we can either buy a new physical release and/or listen to it on our favorite streaming service.

Some just don't spend the time between now and then professing the difficulty in existing without having that new music on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Smiley

Speaking of touring. A telling sign of the differences in attitudes is the fact that GN'R hasn't played a single show since March 14th, 2020. And once they announced the Australia / New Zealand tour for November 2021, some were quick to point out how they don't like the setlist. I mean.... We have nothing due to a pandemic, and your first priority is the songs they might play? I guess I always preferred something over nothing...

/jarmo

Whether it's frustration or reminiscing, as long as the communication keeps flowing then the lights stay on. I think my point was, I don't see frustration as a negative thing.

As for the setlist, I'm excited to see what they do. Obviously stick to the hits, one or two different older songs would be good, new songs are always welcome and forever exciting.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #369 on: May 02, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »

I disagree a bit.

Whining because someone is frustrated does mean there's interest, but it also breeds more of the same whining.

Once we get shows back, there's gonna be thousands of people there who will enjoy it. If there's no new music out at the point, will they whine about it instead of enjoying the show? I doubt it.

If the band plays some new music at the show(s), will they be upset about that because it wasn't what they wanted? I doubt it...

The most vocal ones often aren't the majority. I don't make a difference between fans. If someone likes the band, great!
If someone starts listing demands about what needs to change so they'll become fans again, good luck with that.

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #370 on: May 03, 2021, 10:52:55 AM »

Sure it will. 

We are one too good to pass up deal with Best Buy, allowing the label to recoup as much cost as it could, from having no albums of new material since George H.W. Bush was President.

This is a touring band.  A cash operation.  And, to be honest, a real solid one lately.  If they come your way, buy a ticket.  It's a fun night out.

Expecting anything else from these guys is a fool's errand. 

If anything leaks, download it.  That's the best you are going to to do.  Most of us did just that on the last batch.  Although I know, around here, we have to pretend none of that happened.  I liked some of those tunes though.  Have them in the rotation.  I also rather suspect they are the only versions of them I will ever have.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #371 on: May 03, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »

As for the setlist, I'm excited to see what they do. Obviously stick to the hits, one or two different older songs would be good, new songs are always welcome and forever exciting.

I agree.  I was encouraged by the dusting off of 'Locomotive' and 'Dead Horse'.

Even with the reunion, the setlist was a bit lighter on UYI tunes than it might have been.  Perhaps the next batch of shows will see another resurrection or two.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #372 on: May 03, 2021, 11:07:14 AM »

This is a touring band.  A cash operation.  And, to be honest, a real solid one lately.  If they come your way, buy a ticket.  It's a fun night out.

Well, they were a touring band until the pandemic hit....

If anything leaks, download it. 

I don't understand the need to take something that you didn't create and decide who should hear it. It's not your decision to make.
Have no interest in promoting this kind of behavior. Simple as that.

Even with the reunion, the setlist was a bit lighter on UYI tunes than it might have been.  Perhaps the next batch of shows will see another resurrection or two.

You forgot So Fine in Mexico City last tear.  peace

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #373 on: May 03, 2021, 02:07:58 PM »

I don't understand the need to take something that you didn't create and decide who should hear it. It's not your decision to make.
Have no interest in promoting this kind of behavior. Simple as that.

Which is your prerogative.  We all know such things are never going to be promoted here.  And we all know why.

But you are living in god damn fantasyland if you think people don't download them.  How do you think fans were singing along with new songs on the 2002 and 2006 tours?  Lucky guesses??  In 2006, 'Better' and 'I.R.S' were on the radio for god's sake.  They entered airplay charts!

I get the band being salty over that.  But I also think it spoke to how starved people were for new material from the band.  And was probably the clue that was the time to strike.  Axl never looked or sounded better than he did in 2006.  And people were into it.  Then, a 2 year hiatus, it finally comes out, and people were like "oh, yeah...that thing."

The last batch that came out, there were like 5 completed songs out of that whole bunch.  And these were 20 plus year old demos done by a version of the band that no longer exists.  People downloaded them as a curiosity more than anything.

But, whether you want to hear it or not, some of this is on the band.  We knew some of those song titles for 15-20 years.  And the reality was this might be the only way we ever heard them.  Now, should some re-worked version of 'Atlas Shrugged' come out on some hypothetical 2022 album by the current band, are we all going to buy it?  Of course we are.  We aren't going to not bother because we have some demo version from March of 2000 or whatever.

Yet if a bunch of Pearl Jam songs leaked, would I download them?  No, probably not.  Because I have not been given any reason to believe they will not be released in short order.  If stuff is leaking, they are working, and they are going to get it done.  They aren't going to talk about it for a decade.  People download CD leaks because there was no real compelling argument they were ever going to get released.  People said, "fuck it" and thought this might be the only way to hear them.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #374 on: May 03, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »

I think you all might be a little surprised on what happens with the mid to late summer leg of the US tour.

We'll see.. Wink

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #375 on: May 03, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »

I think you all might be a little surprised on what happens with the mid to late summer leg of the US tour.

We'll see.. Wink

I super duper desperately want to be wrong, believe me.

But the argument for such is not a terribly compelling one.  "Hey, you never know" could also suggest an alien invasion next summer.  Doesn't mean I start building a bunker.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #376 on: May 03, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »

We'll see.. Wink

I super duper desperately want to be wrong, believe me.

But the argument for such is not a terribly compelling one.  "Hey, you never know" could also suggest an alien invasion next summer.  Doesn't mean I start building a bunker.

Let me put it this way:

I worked in a venue for awhile in my youth.

I still have connections in that world.

I'm more than optimistic for people being pleasantly surprised.  I'm not 100%, but I'm at about 75%, especially for MetLife and Fenway.  Capacity might be questionable....as in they might not be full full shows so some might have their tickets cancelled.  But....well, lets just leave it at I'm optimistic. Wink

I don't think the Canadian show will happen, though.  

The earlier in the tour (aka mid July) the less optimistic I am.  But starting with the Fenway show (and, honestly, even the DC show to some extent) and going forward?    beer

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks or so.  Things could 100% change.  But today, I feel pretty good about those shows.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:20:56 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #377 on: May 03, 2021, 02:29:17 PM »

Governor Murphy announced today that outdoor venues are now allowed to hold 50% attendance. My opinion is that the odds for the MetLife show have increased a lot. I think it will happen. NJ is  at 42% of people who are vaccinated.

I believe, provisionally, July 7th is the goal for 75% capacity for large, outdoor venues.

We'll see if they make it/announce it in the next couple weeks.

A lot depends on seeing vax rate continue to trend up and infection rate to continue to trend down, I think.

Together again,
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #378 on: May 03, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »

Oh, my bad, pilferk.  I thought you were talking about being surprised with a new album.

Concerts this year?  Dunno.  Fingers crossed, I guess.  Wish more people would get vaccinated already.  Speed this all along.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #379 on: May 03, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »

Oh, my bad, pilferk.  I thought you were talking about being surprised with a new album.

Concerts this year?  Dunno.  Fingers crossed, I guess.  Wish more people would get vaccinated already.  Speed this all along.

Yeah, I mean....I used to have contacts on that side, too.  But they've all moved on to other industries or jobs.  Retail music sales (and retailers) just ain't what they used to be.

I have no idea if there is an album coming soon. I hope there is. But I don't really care to debate either way. It's old and boring and played out and we've covered the same ground about a million times. Nobody contributes anything new. It'll get here when it gets here, and if it doesn't.....that's OK too.  I'm in my late 40s.  I'm just not sweating it.  Ce La Vie. Totally subscribe to the Axl mantra: "If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen, you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does, you might get something that works for you — in the end you could win on this either way."

YMMV. Enjoy your glass being half full or half empty. I hope it makes people happy.

I'm off to write another 20 pages or so on Machine Deep Learning and Healthcare analytics to flesh out this section.  FML.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:55:10 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: