Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 151250 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2020, 10:33:58 AM »

Has anybody said how we are recouping all this money because I don't think we have it in savings.

They're literally just printing it.  One of the Federal Reserve presidents was on 60 Minutes this week and stated that specifically.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »

I'm probably repeating myself here,  but Washington really needs to do a clean bill  to give relief for working people who have had their livelihoods affected by COVID-19. But congress seems incapable of that.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/25/coronavirus-economy-stimulus-house-democrats-148512

‘Have We Learned Nothing?’

The Dems' Christmas-tree bailout pitch isn’t going anywhere, but tells us a lot about what we might be headed for

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
cineater
Legend

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2020, 11:07:23 PM »

I wish I had an opinion but I have no clue what to do.  I'm surprised how quickly they are doing something.  I'm wondering what they will do next because I don't think this is anywhere close to over.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:28 AM »

I wish I had an opinion but I have no clue what to do.  I'm surprised how quickly they are doing something.  I'm wondering what they will do next because I don't think this is anywhere close to over.

It definitely isn't anywhere near over, even Italy had a setback today.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2020, 04:31:16 AM »

I'm prepared to be home for the next month.  I have a little opportunity here.  Somebody gave me 96 rolls of toilet paper 2 two years ago to get over my shitty job.  I was saving it to wrap up my old boss' car but everytime I go to do it, it rains.  I'm more than happy to get rid of it.  For Easter I may just go put some in everybody's mailbox.  They'll need it by then.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:17 AM »

I'm probably repeating myself here,  but Washington really needs to do a clean bill  to give relief for working people who have had their livelihoods affected by COVID-19. But congress seems incapable of that.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/25/coronavirus-economy-stimulus-house-democrats-148512

The Dems' Christmas-tree bailout pitch isn’t going anywhere, but tells us a lot about what we might be headed for

They did.

The house bill was a negotiating ploy...one House leadership never expected to come to a vote.... because Senate Repubs did not want to have to go to reconcilliation.  And they got the protections they wanted in the Senate Bill.

Pretty clean bill passed the senate late Wednesday.

Unfortunately, a Repub is holding up the House vote (they wanted a unanimous voice vote by phone)...and now it looks like everyone has to come back to town to vote.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:30:03 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sandman
Legend

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2020, 07:13:34 AM »

Multi trillion dollar bill. I have not read any details because I don't want to sicken myself until the bill is actually passed. i'm sure all of our scum bag politicians are taking full advantage and addressing all of their pet projects.

I also don't like how the money is being paid out. someone making over $200K with 2 kids who still has their job is going to get about $1,000. People making $170K with 2 kids will be getting over $3,000. those families do not need anything.

the majority of the payouts should go to people who have actually lost their jobs, small business owners, and to lower income families.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:23:27 AM by sandman » Logged

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2020, 07:37:34 AM »

I'm prepared to be home for the next month.  I have a little opportunity here.  Somebody gave me 96 rolls of toilet paper 2 two years ago to get over my shitty job.  I was saving it to wrap up my old boss' car but everytime I go to do it, it rains.  I'm more than happy to get rid of it.  For Easter I may just go put some in everybody's mailbox.  They'll need it by then.
Bet you could never have imagine two years later it would be such a commodity.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2020, 07:40:05 AM »

I'm probably repeating myself here,  but Washington really needs to do a clean bill  to give relief for working people who have had their livelihoods affected by COVID-19. But congress seems incapable of that.

They did.

The house bill was a negotiating ploy...one House leadership never expected to come to a vote.... because Senate Repubs did not want to have to go to reconcilliation.  And they got the protections they wanted in the Senate Bill.

Pretty clean bill passed the senate late Wednesday.

Unfortunately, a Repub is holding up the House vote (they wanted a unanimous voice vote by phone)...and now it looks like everyone has to come back to town to vote.

Someone needs to slap that one Republican. Not only are they putting our elected officials at risk, but everyone they come in contact with on their way back to the capital for something they could do over a phone or video conference.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2020, 07:42:04 AM »

Multi trillion dollar bill. I have not read any details because I don't want to sicken myself until the bill is actually passed. i'm sure all of our scum bag politicians are taking full advantage and addressing all of their pet projects.

I also don't like how the money is being paid out. someone making over $200K with 2 kids who still has their job is going to get about $1,000. People making $170K with 2 kids will be getting over $3,000. those families do not need anything.

the majority of the payouts should go to people who have actually lost their jobs, small business owners, and to lower income families.  

Agreed the checks aren't good enough for those who need the most. In the plus side I'm glad Democrats got the provisions prevents elected officials and families from profiting of it it. I'm also glad the 500 billion to big industry will have oversight.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:46:21 AM by tim_m » Logged
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2020, 07:45:12 AM »

I wish I had an opinion but I have no clue what to do.  I'm surprised how quickly they are doing something.  I'm wondering what they will do next because I don't think this is anywhere close to over.

Anywhere near over? WTF are people thinking when they say this stuff.

Tell them you cannot - absolutely cannot begin to even think about the economy until the hospitals are NOT overrun.

Once that eases - you have a case to talk a fair balance of partial openings - but every day there is one doctor or nurse talking about putting sick patients in hallways - is another day you WAIT and do everything you can to ease the burden on these amazing people who are on the front lines.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »

Tell them you cannot - absolutely cannot begin to even think about the economy until the hospitals are NOT overrun.

Once that eases - you have a case to talk a fair balance of partial openings - but every day there is one doctor or nurse talking about putting sick patients in hallways - is another day you WAIT and do everything you can to ease the burden on these amazing people who are on the front lines.

Two of the hospitals in our Health System are full to capacity already, and CT isn't seeing the brunt of infections yet.

The other issue here is that we have had a pretty tough flu season, and we still have flu patients in beds recovering (and some new flu patients coming in....though not many).  A few of them are in ICU, and some smaller number are still on vents.  They can't be kicked out, and are still using resources the COVID patients need.

From the numbers we are running, we are at LEAST 2 weeks from peak infection rate, and maybe 3 to 4. We'll know more in the next couple of days.  I suspect we are about 8 weeks from even starting to think about reopening stuff slowly.  Maybe the numbers will surprise me, but we REALLY started the social distancing process just about 2 weeks ago, and went "full distance" about a week ago. 

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2020, 08:23:26 AM »

I wish I had an opinion but I have no clue what to do.  I'm surprised how quickly they are doing something.  I'm wondering what they will do next because I don't think this is anywhere close to over.

And Trump is talking about April 12th as a real possibility.   He is going to get so many people needlessly killed. Roll Eyes
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2020, 08:24:38 AM »

Two of the hospitals in our Health System are full to capacity already, and CT isn't seeing the brunt of infections yet.

The other issue here is that we have had a pretty tough flu season, and we still have flu patients in beds recovering (and some new flu patients coming in....though not many).  A few of them are in ICU, and some smaller number are still on vents.  They can't be kicked out, and are still using resources the COVID patients need.

From the numbers we are running, we are at LEAST 2 weeks from peak infection rate, and maybe 3 to 4. We'll know more in the next couple of days.  I suspect we are about 8 weeks from even starting to think about reopening stuff slowly.  Maybe the numbers will surprise me, but we REALLY started the social distancing process just about 2 weeks ago, and went "full distance" about a week ago. 

If you are anything like NYC probably sooner rather then later before you reach peak.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »

And Trump is talking about April 12th as a real possibility.   He is going to get so many people needlessly killed. Roll Eyes

Different areas of the country have different curves with this pandemic, we need to rate this ting county by county.  I dont see April 12th as a date anyone can return to normal no matter where you are but there will be some areas that will be able to lift some restrictions before others. I dont think we have enough data yet to make a determination on when and where that happens.

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2020, 08:29:44 AM »

Someone needs to slap that one Republican. Not only are they putting our elected officials at risk, but everyone they come in contact with on their way back to the capital for something they could do over a phone or video conference.

Yeah, I don't think he's very popular right now.

I am heartened by the contents of the bill.  Amounts and cutoffs seem pretty appropriate for an economic stimulus (which is the intent).  And the additions of $600 a week, for 4 months, above and beyond state unemployment benefits, help take better care of those that have lost their jobs.  The bill seems PRETTY clean (no bill is bereft of pork), which is also good.  It makes nobody look good to stuff it full of pork.

I would like to see something more done for small business.  All the low interest loans are nice, but it looks like payoff periods...even virtually interest free...are only 1 year (and due in a balloon payment, I think?).  That's far too short a time frame when they are going to likely lose a full quarter of business.  In addition, it doesn't help business owners who have seen 90% of their business dry up overnight, and who didn't have themselves in a "full salary" position so can't claim unemployment.  It doesn't pay those peoples mortgages or put food on their table.  THATS what needs to be addressed, somehow. And 1200 an adult, and 500 per kid, doesn't do that for very long. Not if you still have to make mortgage payments, car payments, insurance payments AND put food on your table.  Never mind any credit card debt you might have.

I'd like to see moratoriums on interest and payments/automatic extensions for FHA mortgages and some sort of "food support" stipend, too (maybe an expansion of the food stamps program, short term).  That would address a lot of the stability issues families are going to see.

Lawmakers are already saying they expect to need at least one more, and maybe two more, rounds of stimulus like this.  One in June, and maybe another in August, to kickstart the economy.

With the federal bank buying the debt, and doing it at 0 or less interest rates, there's never been a better time to spend, and spend big, to keep things afloat.

Together again,
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »

Here is a good take on how we got to where we are now. Didn't have to be this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2omrmqPNs&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3cTxwL90o5pEnAl09PXkRYAb-qhJ9mGxYjf6VTlnsT5IX-_VCgXeRv1F8

10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »

If you are anything like NYC probably sooner rather then later before you reach peak.

Capacity? Yeah.

Peak?  I think they are 2 weeks away from peak utilization/infection.  I know it looks so bad that you would expect peak and burnout soon.  But I think they are still in an exponential curve.  Until we see a day where they are not seeing a 50% increase, day over day, of infections.....They're not even close.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:14 AM »

Different areas of the country have different curves with this pandemic, we need to rate this ting county by county.  I dont see April 12th as a date anyone can return to normal no matter where you are but there will be some areas that will be able to lift some restrictions before others. I dont think we have enough data yet to make a determination on when and where that happens.
Definitely not, in my area DFW cases are starting to spike. We are now over 1k confirmed cases.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2020, 08:41:26 AM »

Capacity? Yeah.

Peak?  I think they are 2 weeks away from peak utilization/infection.  I know it looks so bad that you would expect peak and burnout soon.  But I think they are still in an exponential curve.  Until we see a day where they are not seeing a 50% increase, day over day, of infections.....They're not even close.

Yeah,, each day i see Governor Cuomo get up there and report it is worse then the previous day and how frustrated he is by the administration. It's heartbreaking. I can't fathom why Trump won't utilize the defense protection act to order american corporations to make these supplies. New York is gonna be overwhelmed and out very soon. I know yesterday he said they have enough for now but for now is gonna be gone soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: