Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:26:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227756 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 153428 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2020, 10:01:39 PM »

Diversified culture, subways massive mass transportation, tourist destination - it's kind of the perfect storm for something like this unfortunately.
Yep that sums it up. There's no telling how many came in with the virus from other countries, or how many were visiting other countries and brought it back home. It's also a very dense population. It was a disaster waiting to happen. On the bright side if there is one it's the curve is flattening. Deaths are still going up wake but hospitalization down, ICU down, intubations were negative gain in the last 24 hours. People recovering way up. So some light at the end of the tunnel.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2020, 10:04:09 PM »

I think Florida is also a late bloomer as far as when we will hit the top of the curve.  It's amazing how much harder of a hit NYC has taken compared to the rest of the country.

Yeah it is heartbreaking. It's really hitting home for me. I may not live there anymore but I was born there. I'll always consider myself a New Yorker. I still have large amounts of family and friends there in Long island.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2020, 07:38:50 AM »

Diversified culture, subways massive mass transportation, tourist destination - it's kind of the perfect storm for something like this unfortunately.

AND cooler temperatures, packed in living spaces/population density, a overall culture that relies, a LOT, on external food prep or daily food acquisition.  Essentially, people in NYC probably have more social contact on a daily basis than anyone else in the country.  As you said: Just the perfect storm.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #223 on: April 11, 2020, 07:40:02 AM »

I think Florida is also a late bloomer as far as when we will hit the top of the curve.  It's amazing how much harder of a hit NYC has taken compared to the rest of the country.

The hot weather states have fared a LITTLE bit better in this, so far.  I'm hoping that trend continues!

Together again,
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #224 on: April 11, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »

The hot weather states have fared a LITTLE bit better in this, so far.  I'm hoping that trend continues!

Are you saying that the hotter, more humid weather stifles the spread of the virus?  I hope there is truth to that although I've heard varying things. Warmer weather is around the corner for the entire country.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2020, 11:49:23 AM »

Are you saying that the hotter, more humid weather stifles the spread of the virus?  I hope there is truth to that although I've heard varying things. Warmer weather is around the corner for the entire country.

Nothing conclusive because this is a new animal but if you listen to the top experts everywhere - while not committing to this theory - most seem to lean towards the theory that yes - the sun and heat will kill some of this dirty virus
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »

More people died in the first quarter last year (and for twelve out of thirteen weeks) than this year in the UK if you look at the general mortality stats, to the end of March
cineater
Legend

« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »

I'm starting to get freaky about people getting too close to me and how long they are there.  nervous  Anything anybody else touches, I'm letting sit there for a few days. 

A  healthy sense of paranoia will keep you alive.  I think I'm crossing the healthy sense line though.  Smiley

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2020, 12:06:00 AM »

Nothing conclusive because this is a new animal but if you listen to the top experts everywhere - while not committing to this theory - most seem to lean towards the theory that yes - the sun and heat will kill some of this dirty virus

Exactly, they basically say if this acts like every other respiratory virus this will be true, but they caution this is new and we just don't only enough yet. I'm hoping this is the case. We will be able to get ahead of it for the late fall/winter then. By then we'll have some treatments. We will have antibody tests and better diagnostic tests. There's also a chance for a vaccine. I read an article this morning that Oxford is working on a very promising vaccine that they could have ready by September. It's still early obviously. They see starting trial in 2 weeks. They say the overall probability it'll work is 80%.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2020, 02:00:20 AM »

Exactly, they basically say if this acts like every other respiratory virus this will be true, but they caution this is new and we just don't only enough yet. I'm hoping this is the case. We will be able to get ahead of it for the late fall/winter then. By then we'll have some treatments. We will have antibody tests and better diagnostic tests. There's also a chance for a vaccine. I read an article this morning that Oxford is working on a very promising vaccine that they could have ready by September. It's still early obviously. They see starting trial in 2 weeks. They say the overall probability it'll work is 80%.

The world is working on a vaccine.  It's going to be hard to go forward without one.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2020, 07:37:10 AM »

The world is working on a vaccine.  It's going to be hard to go forward without one.

We're gonna have to though. We can't realistically shutdown the world did another 1 to 2 years. Even Dr Fauci said a degree of real normalcy should be able to return in November. We may not have a working vaccine but we'll have treatments and antibody tests.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »

Saw a local report on how the kids are doing with e learning.  They like it.  The teacher reported surprising results.  One was how self reflective some of the kids have become.

There is going to be some good stuff that comes out of this.  We got so busy, this slowed everybody down.  I'm wondering if there will be a shift in how everybody has been living.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »

Saw a local report on how the kids are doing with e learning.  They like it.  The teacher reported surprising results.  One was how self reflective some of the kids have become.

There is going to be some good stuff that comes out of this.  We got so busy, this slowed everybody down.  I'm wondering if there will be a shift in how everybody has been living.
Totally agree, as awful as this is going to be for awhile in the end i think we come out better.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2020, 02:12:02 PM »

Totally agree, as awful as this is going to be for awhile in the end i think we come out better.

I keep wondering what history will say about this time.  It has to be a new beginning, for what I don't know.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2020, 03:21:07 PM »

Are you saying that the hotter, more humid weather stifles the spread of the virus?  I hope there is truth to that although I've heard varying things. Warmer weather is around the corner for the entire country.

I'm not saying there is a correlation.  I'm just pointing to the data.  The warmer weather states haven't seen the same growth patterns/curves that the colder weather states have.  Why that is....we don't know yet.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2020, 03:23:56 PM »

More people died in the first quarter last year (and for twelve out of thirteen weeks) than this year in the UK if you look at the general mortality stats, to the end of March

So, interesting bid of anecdotal information:

We have seen a DRASTIC drop in trauma mortalities over the past 30 days or so.

People staying mostly close to home I would guess.  But drastic drops in Motor vehicle mortalities, GSW mortalities, and even fall mortalities.

I'd guess SOME of the mortality drop is due to people engaging in less risky behavior, etc.

Together again,
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2020, 03:50:51 PM »

People staying mostly close to home I would guess.  But drastic drops in Motor vehicle mortalities, GSW mortalities, and even fall mortalities.

I'd guess SOME of the mortality drop is due to people engaging in less risky behavior, etc.

I think this 'pandemic' is about the rush of cases into hospitals, not about the lethality of the virus. Deaths are 3000 lower this year just now, it'll spike up over the next two months, but watch next winter when deaths will be lower because a lot of the people who would have died are already gone. I think UK deaths will be about 30k, but it'll balance out over the year beyond next winter.

There's a lot of misreporting and targeted stories to control the masses. People with norovirus symptoms over the past two months may also have had it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:59:13 PM by Mysteron » Logged
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »

People staying mostly close to home I would guess.  But drastic drops in Motor vehicle mortalities, GSW mortalities, and even fall mortalities.

Yes - sometimes it's just best to listen to the smartest people from day one
No matter how it's spun or blamed - the one constant has been...well..constant
They knew this thing could not live to its fullest if humans did the unthinkable - and just stayed home
IT IS WORKING
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #238 on: April 13, 2020, 09:07:05 AM »

Makes you wonder how this will change day to day life.

I mean, will more people start working from home in the future because now they've realized they can?

Will more meetings be done via video conference instead of in person?

Will take out food be more popular then before? Will people continue getting groceries delivered instead of going to the supermarket themselves etc etc etc?

And will people keep washing their hands and keeping their distance....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #239 on: April 13, 2020, 09:28:16 AM »

Trump retweeted that Fauci should be fired.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: