Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 151396 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #500 on: October 19, 2020, 11:11:05 AM »

Cuomo in NY is already talking about plans and guidelines for distribution of the vaccine and the high priority list to receive (Elderly, first care workers etc)
Sad, but I suspect once the election is over this will take form and the information coming out about it should be streamlined a little more efficiently.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #501 on: October 19, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »

Cuomo in NY is already talking about plans and guidelines for distribution of the vaccine and the high priority list to receive (Elderly, first care workers etc)
Sad, but I suspect once the election is over this will take form and the information coming out about it should be streamlined a little more efficiently.

I wouldn't read TOO much into it.  All states were told by the CDC that they had to have a plan in place for distribution by Oct 31st.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #502 on: October 19, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »

I wouldn't read TOO much into it.  All states were told by the CDC that they had to have a plan in place for distribution by Oct 31st.

I just hadn't heard any state / governor get so specific as if it's pending is all.
Very possible I just missed it
Also very possible that Cuomo loves the sound of his own voice
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #503 on: October 20, 2020, 04:49:48 AM »

I wouldn't place any bets on it being ready in November or this year. Three have had to pause trials for unexplained illnesses.

Moderno and Pfizer are both still going.  In fact, Pfizer expanded enrollment, late last month, from 30k to 44k so they could enroll teens (16 and up).

Both are on pace, assuming no unexplained illnesses, to wrap up in mid to late November. 
I know you work in the medical field and may be privy to information that you can't share with us, but i am still skeptical that they can ensure its safety and efficacy that quickly. I hope i am wrong of course. The sooner the better and we can get back to as close to normal as possible hopefully by the end of next year.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #504 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:38 AM »

I just hadn't heard any state / governor get so specific as if it's pending is all.

A BUNCH of states, including CT, MA, and RI have had pressers over the past week with their detailed plans.  Lamont, during his presser, made sure to clarify a few times this wasn't because there was an imminent vaccine.  It was because the fed gave them a due date for their homework assignment and this was them complying.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #505 on: October 20, 2020, 06:55:49 AM »

I know you work in the medical field and may be privy to information that you can't share with us, but i am still skeptical that they can ensure its safety and efficacy that quickly. I hope i am wrong of course. The sooner the better and we can get back to as close to normal as possible hopefully by the end of next year.

I can't speak for Moderno, but Pfizer has followed Phase III trial protocols just like any other drug trial.  From the numbers I've seen...so far, so good.  As I've said right along, I think we're looking at VERY late November or early December for completion.  Then FDA approval.  Then distribution I'm thinking sometime in January to at risk, then healthcare and front line, and then everyone else by spring. 

FYI: The part that's being done "fast" is FDA approval.  That process has been overly long for a LONG time, tied up in red tape.  I'm not saying THIS way is better.....but we have to find a happy medium in this country.  Other countries are much faster, and still maintain safety and efficacy standards.

I totally get the reservations.  But when the science comes out, and gets reviewed, I think that will help. 

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #506 on: October 20, 2020, 07:05:14 AM »

I can't speak for Moderno, but Pfizer has followed Phase III trial protocols just like any other drug trial.  From the numbers I've seen...so far, so good.  As I've said right along, I think we're looking at VERY late November or early December for completion.  Then FDA approval.  Then distribution I'm thinking sometime in January to at risk, then healthcare and front line, and then everyone else by spring. 

FYI: The part that's being done "fast" is FDA approval.  That process has been overly long for a LONG time, tied up in red tape.  I'm not saying THIS way is better.....but we have to find a happy medium in this country.  Other countries are much faster, and still maintain safety and efficacy standards.

I totally get the reservations.  But when the science comes out, and gets reviewed, I think that will help. 

Yep, i mean if scientists like Dr. Fauci come out and say this is absolutely safe i will be satisfied. I do trust him.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #507 on: October 20, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »

Yep, i mean if scientists like Dr. Fauci come out and say this is absolutely safe i will be satisfied. I do trust him.

I think the biggest risk is it just won't work.  I don't remember any vaccines causing major problems although you have those people saying their kids were normal until they got their childhood shots and that wasn't proven.  I'll get the vaccine but still be cautious until the results comes in from the bigger results of lots of people having been vaccinated.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #508 on: October 20, 2020, 01:07:34 PM »

A BUNCH of states, including CT, MA, and RI have had pressers over the past week with their detailed plans.  Lamont, during his presser, made sure to clarify a few times this wasn't because there was an imminent vaccine.  It was because the fed gave them a due date for their homework assignment and this was them complying.

Thank you
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #509 on: October 20, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »

I think the biggest risk is it just won't work.  I don't remember any vaccines causing major problems although you have those people saying their kids were normal until they got their childhood shots and that wasn't proven.  I'll get the vaccine but still be cautious until the results comes in from the bigger results of lots of people having been vaccinated.

Sooooo...it's happened.  The Cutter vaccine exposed THOUSANDS of kids to live polio virus.  It was a pretty nasty scandal and, to be honest, one of the basis for the antivax movement.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but this is a "full cards on the table" moment.  I think we've got this handled, at least on the Moderno and Pfizer sides.

And, in my opinion (though I'm admittedly biased), I think the Pfizer approach to the vaccine is a safer one. 

We'll see!

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2020, 10:42:56 PM »

Sooooo...it's happened.  The Cutter vaccine exposed THOUSANDS of kids to live polio virus.  It was a pretty nasty scandal and, to be honest, one of the basis for the antivax movement.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but this is a "full cards on the table" moment.  I think we've got this handled, at least on the Moderno and Pfizer sides.

And, in my opinion (though I'm admittedly biased), I think the Pfizer approach to the vaccine is a safer one. 

We'll see!

What makes you say that? How do they differentiate from one another?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #511 on: October 21, 2020, 06:29:05 AM »

Pfffff.....I don't think I can explain that here without potentially violating an NDA.  Even if I could, I'm not sure I could do it without breaking the post character limit.

If you do some google research, there's information out there.  I just don't think I can talk about it anymore than to say it's substantially different.  Both are using mRNA, but they're using them a bit differently.

I'm also not saying Moderno's method is UNSAFE.  I just think Pfizers is safer.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #512 on: October 21, 2020, 08:52:58 AM »

Pfffff.....I don't think I can explain that here without potentially violating an NDA.  Even if I could, I'm not sure I could do it without breaking the post character limit.

If you do some google research, there's information out there.  I just don't think I can talk about it anymore than to say it's substantially different.  Both are using mRNA, but they're using them a bit differently.

I'm also not saying Moderno's method is UNSAFE.  I just think Pfizers is safer.

No problem, don't want you breaking any laws or an NDA.I know you can get in big trouble for that.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #513 on: October 21, 2020, 09:03:54 AM »

If you were a betting man, how many of the vaccines currently in development do you think clear the FDA for safety and efficacy?
cineater
Legend

« Reply #514 on: October 26, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »

Fuck, round two coming and the how many people can I have over to the house continues.  I need a whole new HVAC system.  I guess we will be doing a lot of air circulation.   hihi

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #515 on: October 30, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »

Fuck, round two coming and the how many people can I have over to the house continues.  I need a whole new HVAC system.  I guess we will be doing a lot of air circulation.   hihi

You just can't win can you?
cineater
Legend

« Reply #516 on: October 30, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »

You just can't win can you?

I don't know, I was starting to get a little bored.  Thinking about getting another cat.  Surely I've been exposed to covid by now.  It's going to be nice next week so I'll be outside while they are here.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #517 on: November 09, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »

Pfizer, BioNTech say their COVID-19 vaccine is more than 90% effective: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-114500360.html

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #518 on: November 09, 2020, 01:10:34 PM »

Pfizer, BioNTech say their COVID-19 vaccine is more than 90% effective: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-114500360.html

/jarmo

This is based on about 100 patients analyzed with a specific dosage of the few they were trialing.  There's some more analysis that needs to be done over the next few weeks, but it looks promising.

Also...only about 20 to 30 million doses available late this year/early next.  Likely late spring/early summer before MASSIVE number of doses are available that could address overall demand.

Edit (taking a quote from the times, since this is a better explanation):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer.html

Half of the participants received two doses of the vaccine, and half received a placebo. The first analysis was based on 94 volunteers who developed Covid-19.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:14:41 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #519 on: November 09, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »

/jarmo

This is based on about 100 patients analyzed with a specific dosage of the few they were trialing.  There's some more analysis that needs to be done over the next few weeks, but it looks promising.

Also...only about 20 to 30 million doses available late this year/early next.  Likely late spring/early summer before MASSIVE number of doses are available that could address overall demand.

Edit (taking a quote from the times, since this is a better explanation):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/health/covid-vaccine-pfizer.html

Half of the participants received two doses of the vaccine, and half received a placebo. The first analysis was based on 94 volunteers who developed Covid-19.
\

So hopefully by next summer we can really start to give covid the finger if all continues as it currently is?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: