Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Covid-19 (not gnr related)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Covid-19 (not gnr related)  (Read 151261 times)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #680 on: January 03, 2021, 11:19:32 PM »

Dr Fauci is saying fall before we get back to some resemblance of normal.   Undecided 

I attended the last of 4 Christmas parties today.  Spend enough time away from your family it's good to see them.  hihi  I'm going to be staying home or at the greenhouse.  Don't mind that but getting tried of trying to dodge the covid bullet.  A show I was watching last night said the black plague last 100 years and Europe lost half of it's population.  Shit!

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #681 on: January 04, 2021, 11:13:54 AM »

We're waiting for the EU to approve the Moderna vaccine now.

The UK is using both the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine as well as the AstraZeneca/Oxford one.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #682 on: January 04, 2021, 07:07:22 PM »

And an even more contagious strain coming out of South Africa.  Wonder what causes that?  Just natural or is something out there making only the strongest survive and multiply?  Don't know anything about how that works.  Duck and run for cover.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #683 on: January 04, 2021, 08:32:16 PM »

Mutations are just a natural part of viruses.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #684 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:42 AM »

I heard they have to tweak the flu vaccine every year.  I'm assuming they would have to do that with the covid vaccine.  They know the flu pretty well but covid is new.  I'm wondering how well they can do the yearly tweaking.  Is it going to take them years to learn how to tweak it before they can be confident about the vaccine being effective each year?

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #685 on: January 05, 2021, 01:14:27 AM »

I heard they have to tweak the flu vaccine every year.  I'm assuming they would have to do that with the covid vaccine.  They know the flu pretty well but covid is new.  I'm wondering how well they can do the yearly tweaking.  Is it going to take them years to learn how to tweak it before they can be confident about the vaccine being effective each year?

That i have no clue. I'm certainly no virologist lol.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #686 on: January 05, 2021, 06:44:07 AM »

So far, no. The spike protein has not changed enough in the mutations to make the pfizer or moderna vaccines ineffective.  it doesn't seem to have even reduced their effectiveness, yet.

It is possible that the spike protein DOES mutate enough to start reducing efficacy of the vaccines. At that point a booster might be required to address those mutations.  The good news is that the technology adapts well to developing those boosters...it would be a much faster process.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
cineater
Legend

« Reply #687 on: January 05, 2021, 08:56:15 AM »

So far, no. The spike protein has not changed enough in the mutations to make the pfizer or moderna vaccines ineffective.  it doesn't seem to have even reduced their effectiveness, yet.

It is possible that the spike protein DOES mutate enough to start reducing efficacy of the vaccines. At that point a booster might be required to address those mutations.  The good news is that the technology adapts well to developing those boosters...it would be a much faster process.

Thanks.  I think the groups I am in are pretty much writing off in person contact this year.  We're adjusting.  They have us making youtube educational videos.  Yesterday my cat insisted on being my assistant.  hihi  I love those zoom meetings when daily life happens in the back ground.  Introduce the pets, we're all interested.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #688 on: January 06, 2021, 07:24:50 AM »

The Moderna vaccine was approved in the EU today.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #689 on: January 06, 2021, 09:17:29 PM »

I was kind of surprised that covid is the third leading cause of death in my state behind cancer and heart disease.  I would have thought it was number one.

Okay, I can hide out in this house and stay away from people for as long as it takes but somedays it takes it toll.  Making one of my short trips out of the house, some good rock music on the radio and you  know what?  I need some speed.  Didn't really go anyway just buzzed around on the highways, got the cobwebs out of the engine.  We may need to bring back the Sunday afternoon drive.  That felt good.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #690 on: January 08, 2021, 11:27:22 AM »

EU Medicines Agency’s human medicines committee has recommended updating the product information for the Comirnaty (Pfizer/BioNtech) COVID19 vaccine to clarify that each vial contains 6 doses of the vaccine

/jarmo

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #691 on: January 08, 2021, 12:54:03 PM »

For those worried about efficacy versus the new super spread mutation:
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.07.425740v1

Together again,
cineater
Legend

« Reply #692 on: January 08, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »

There is a disclaimer at the top.  And not being a scientific person, the first paragraph went right over my head.  hihi  I appreciate the resource but am going to need your interpretation for the lay person when/if you get a chance.  I'm interested and have a lot of questions but bottom line, I'm in line with doing what the medical people tell me.  I feel like they have the best information/knowledge to make choices when you are dealing with the "don't know everything about".  You know, wear my mask, wash my hands, stay at home when I can and get a vaccine when it's my turn.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #693 on: January 08, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »

There is a disclaimer at the top.  And not being a scientific person, the first paragraph went right over my head.  hihi  I appreciate the resource but am going to need your interpretation for the lay person when/if you get a chance.  I'm interested and have a lot of questions but bottom line, I'm in line with doing what the medical people tell me.  I feel like they have the best information/knowledge to make choices when you are dealing with the "don't know everything about".  You know, wear my mask, wash my hands, stay at home when I can and get a vaccine when it's my turn.

Long story short: the pfizer vaccine, at least, is just as effective against this new mutation.

The vaccine works.

I hear the science on moderno is going to be the same, but they are a week or two from releasing it.

Together again,
cineater
Legend

« Reply #694 on: January 08, 2021, 08:11:53 PM »

Good to know, thanks.

Long story short: the pfizer vaccine, at least, is just as effective against this new mutation.

The vaccine works.

I hear the science on moderno is going to be the same, but they are a week or two from releasing it.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #695 on: January 09, 2021, 06:55:47 PM »

Oh geez, the people in Florida are complaining about people from out of state, even the country, in line to get the shots and permanent residences can't get a spot.  They do have a large population of snowbirds there for the winter.  Don't know what they do about that.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #696 on: January 10, 2021, 08:01:17 PM »

Oh geez, the people in Florida are complaining about people from out of state, even the country, in line to get the shots and permanent residences can't get a spot.  They do have a large population of snowbirds there for the winter.  Don't know what they do about that.

Because the Florida distribution model sucks.

Together again,
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #697 on: January 11, 2021, 11:00:15 AM »

Moderna vaccine will start arriving in EU countries this week.

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #698 on: January 11, 2021, 10:38:33 PM »

I guess it is to be expected that there will be variants.  Japan found a new one that they say comes from Brazil.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #699 on: January 12, 2021, 04:22:31 AM »

I guess it is to be expected that there will be variants.  Japan found a new one that they say comes from Brazil.

Yeah. I read about that too.

Brazil is second, behind the USA in the charts.

They didn't even start vaccinations yet. Other countries in the region have started. Shows you how leaders who downplay the pandemic have little interest in protecting the public.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: