Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Biden administration (was: The NEW 2020 Election Thread)
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Biden administration (was: The NEW 2020 Election Thread)  (Read 211311 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1840 on: March 31, 2021, 12:38:04 AM »

Isn't that how it is in countries in the EU? Permanent residents can vote in local elections?

Since I'm not sure how it's done in other countries, I can only speak from personal experience. I live in a country that I'm not a citizen of.

I can vote in Swedish local elections, but not the general election where the winning party usually gets to pick the Prime Minister.

I can vote in all Finnish elections from Sweden (general, presidential etc.) as well as European Union elections (I can choose to vote in Finland or Sweden for the EU elections).

/jarmo

That's how I've read it works by researching it. I believe you also must be a permanent resident in the country for a period of 3 years to vote in those local elections?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1841 on: March 31, 2021, 01:27:50 PM »

That's how I've read it works by researching it. I believe you also must be a permanent resident in the country for a period of 3 years to vote in those local elections?

I think so, non-EU citizens have that three year rule.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1842 on: April 01, 2021, 12:40:57 AM »

I think so, non-EU citizens have that three year rule.

/jarmo

What is needed to show you are a permanent resident so that you can vote in those local elections? So many in America are against non citizens voting in any elections period. It is dumbfounding to me.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1843 on: April 01, 2021, 06:36:08 AM »

We have this population registry where you are registered at one address. So they send an envelope with your voting card, which has your name on it , to the address that's in the system. Then you show up with a proper ID and the voting card.

So you can't show up at a voting place and say "I wanna vote!" without the card and ID.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1844 on: April 01, 2021, 10:06:27 AM »

We have this population registry where you are registered at one address. So they send an envelope with your voting card, which has your name on it , to the address that's in the system. Then you show up with a proper ID and the voting card.

So you can't show up at a voting place and say "I wanna vote!" without the card and ID.

/jarmo

I get a card but it's a postcard and not in an envelope.  I can bring that or an id and vote that way.  I have to sign in a book.  No idea what happens if I don't have either.

I do have all kinds of people who support various issues holding signs outside of the polling place.  They don't talk to me but I can talk to them.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1845 on: April 01, 2021, 10:46:33 AM »

No idea if this infrastructure plan is the way to go.  And there's a second plan coming.  Some where in here I have a feeling I'm going to be paying for this one way or another.  I'm okay with that, not opposed to that, things cost.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1846 on: April 01, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »

How many golf trips did Biden taken in his first hundred days?

/jarmo

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1847 on: April 01, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »

/jarmo

So you don't have to prove you've lived in the country the three year period with any kind of paperwork?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1848 on: April 01, 2021, 06:55:30 PM »

No idea if this infrastructure plan is the way to go.  And there's a second plan coming.  Some where in here I have a feeling I'm going to be paying for this one way or another.  I'm okay with that, not opposed to that, things cost.

Its gotta be done. Our Infrastructure has been ignored for far too long. Did you know that New York is currently rebuilding LaGuardia terminal by terminal. Which will be our first new airport in 25 years. There's a lot of good things in the plan. Green Infrastructure, broadband for the poor. Healthcare for elderly and disabled. Retraining for the new green jobs. Roads and bridge repairs. Fixing drinking water systems so people aren't drinking lead etc.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #1849 on: April 01, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »

I think you are one of those people that have to be calmed down when something is going on.  You're quick to blame and your response doesn't look for long term solutions.

You accuse me of being judgmental when you've done nothing but pass personal judgements of me instead of responding to my points.

If you want to make it personal, then I think you are the kind of person who cannot grasp the severity or importance of something until it directly and personally affects you.

Why are you so quick to assume my ignorance or frivolousness? Have I not gone to great lengths to explain things to you? Does that not serve as a hint that maybe my judgement is not so knee-jerk? You seem to not even be reading the words you're responding to and yet you accuse me of being quick to react without full information?

You're literally just making ad hominem judgements of a person you don't know at all. How could you possibly be able to judge how "quick to blame" I am when you have no idea what amount of time I've put into researching these issues? How many years do I need to spend researching something before I am qualified in your eyes to have a strong opinion? In what way am I not looking for long term solutions? You're the one suggesting that we can compromise with terrorists. That's not a real solution at all. I haven't even offered a solution as I recall (so it makes your comment all the more unfounded), but I support solutions that have been offered by various sociologists and criminologists. Do you think they ignore long term effects?

You supposed antipathy toward strong stances on anything is contradicted by your immovable and absolutist stance on compromise.

I think you look for why something can't work and fall back on fear of what could happen.  But you want to take action now and put an end to things.  You want to be the leader of the group and not a participant.

Doesn't sound good but in my world you're a strength in the group I'm working through a problem with.  You're the safety net, the troubleshooter.  The person who is going to point out all the problems with the plan.  Going to be a total pain in the ass and the rest of the group isn't going to like you very much.  And you're going to bitch to everyone who will listen why I'm doing a shitty job.  hihi

More ad hominem assumptions about a complete stranger. You know nothing about me and yet you are awfully quick to blame me for any number of things you've made up in your head about me. Absurd.

Why can't you just engage with the points I am making? Why do you keep resorting to assumptions of some personal failing for anyone who disagrees with you?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:58:58 PM by PermissionToLand » Logged

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #1850 on: April 01, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »

They are voting down party lines.  I think we have to be pretty insistent that kind of voting is not acceptable.  We can't have the parties ganging up and dividing us into 2 separate groups.  I would like to see them work together.

You heard it guys, the problem with trying to overthrow a democracy is that they did it by voting along party lines. What they should have done was come together and compromise so that Biden could share the presidency with the guy who lost! And when his supporters storm the Capitol again, we will compromise and allow half of them inside to ziptie our elected officials at gunpoint. Whatever number of representatives they wish to kidnap and murder, we will counter offer with half that number. It's so simple!

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
cineater
Legend

« Reply #1851 on: April 01, 2021, 08:32:02 PM »

They are voting down party lines.  I think we have to be pretty insistent that kind of voting is not acceptable.  We can't have the parties ganging up and dividing us into 2 separate groups.  I would like to see them work together.

You heard it guys, the problem with trying to overthrow a democracy is that they did it by voting along party lines. What they should have done was come together and compromise so that Biden could share the presidency with the guy who lost! And when his supporters storm the Capitol again, we will compromise and allow half of them inside to ziptie our elected officials at gunpoint. Whatever number of representatives they wish to kidnap and murder, we will counter offer with half that number. It's so simple!

Biden has been open to including the Republicans and their input from the quotes I've read from him.  I don't think that's the same as sharing or giving into things.  I think that's an attempt to get everyone working together.  I admire him for it.  He doesn't have to but he's trying to be inclusive.  I don't think it will happen tomorrow but he's trying.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1852 on: April 02, 2021, 06:44:25 AM »

So you don't have to prove you've lived in the country the three year period with any kind of paperwork?

Without checking, I'm guessing this is how it works for someone who moves here:

Once they arrive, and are legally allowed to live here, they register and get a Swedish social security number. They will also be entered into the population registry with that as well as other information such as their local home address where they live and marital status etc.

The date they were registered is in the registry, so it's easy to only send out voting cards to those who have had an address here for three years or more on election day.

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #1853 on: April 02, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »

Without checking, I'm guessing this is how it works for someone who moves here:

Once they arrive, and are legally allowed to live here, they register and get a Swedish social security number. They will also be entered into the population registry with that as well as other information such as their local home address where they live and marital status etc.

The date they were registered is in the registry, so it's easy to only send out voting cards to those who have had an address here for three years or more on election day.

/jarmo

Does your country worry about voter fraud?  Even before this election it's always been an issue yet it's been determined it's a rare occurrence in the US.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1854 on: April 02, 2021, 05:35:47 PM »

Does your country worry about voter fraud?  Even before this election it's always been an issue yet it's been determined it's a rare occurrence in the US.

Not really.

Nothing like what we saw in the USA. But I wouldn't be surprised if that populist/authoritarian behavior, of telling people the election was lost due to fraud, will eventually make its way outside of the USA.

I'm amazed by the debate in the USA. On one hand, claims of fraud are made, no proper evidence is provided. On the other hand, Gerrymandering in order to keep power is totally fine!

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #1855 on: April 02, 2021, 06:03:19 PM »

Not really.

Nothing like what we saw in the USA. But I wouldn't be surprised if that populist/authoritarian behavior, of telling people the election was lost due to fraud, will eventually make its way outside of the USA.

I'm amazed by the debate in the USA. On one hand, claims of fraud are made, no proper evidence is provided. On the other hand, Gerrymandering in order to keep power is totally fine!

/jarmo

Don't let what the media blows out of proportion mess with your head.  I know I bitch about the media a lot.  They can turn your head towards problems but they have a way of focusing on things they can get aw and shock from viewers.  It's their job to get ratings and try to get people to tune in.  Think of how Axl gets treated by the media, same thing going on with politics and anything else.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1856 on: April 03, 2021, 06:17:35 AM »

The problem with just blaming the old fashioned media is that then people start listening to the so called alternative media.

I get it. Some just want the news, not have the news be yelled at them baked into opinions.

But turning to even more biased sources isn't the answer.

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #1857 on: April 03, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »

The problem with just blaming the old fashioned media is that then people start listening to the so called alternative media.

I get it. Some just want the news, not have the news be yelled at them baked into opinions.

But turning to even more biased sources isn't the answer.

/jarmo

True, what sources do you trust?  I really miss newspapers.  Granted they can be bias but I felt like I got more information from them.  Then again, who has the time? 

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1858 on: April 03, 2021, 10:53:19 AM »

I tend to get my news from multiple sources.

Reuters, AFP, AP, BBC, local media etc....

/jarmo

cineater
Legend

« Reply #1859 on: April 03, 2021, 05:56:23 PM »

I tend to get my news from multiple sources.

Reuters, AFP, AP, BBC, local media etc....

/jarmo

Sorry that was one of those more of a comment instead of asking for information.  I take everything with a grain of salt.  I've been behind the scenes reading/listening to the reports knowing full well they don't have all the information or it's just flat out wrong.  And being unable or willing to set the record straight while being extra careful they didn't get the real story from me.  Little bit jaded.  hihi

May not be the best source but I do like to get my friend's opinions.  Not that we get into any huge discussions but it's nice to mull things over.  Get a different perspective.

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: