Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:31:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The Biden administration (was: The NEW 2020 Election Thread)
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Biden administration (was: The NEW 2020 Election Thread)  (Read 211190 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2280 on: January 27, 2022, 06:07:12 PM »

I cannot see a logical argument from the right against a nomination.

Well that was kinda my point.

A certain group of people on the right have thrown logic out the window some time ago.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2281 on: January 27, 2022, 06:29:35 PM »

The question is do we have an experienced black female, and I'm assuming from the democratic party, for the job?  If you go with limited opportunities and under representation, the pool to draw from should be small.  I don't object to diversity but experience does count.

According to my back of the napkin math, there are about 20 million black women in America. That's a limited pool? I'd find it pretty hard to believe that not a single one of them is equally qualified as a white man...

Do you think they aren't factoring in experience?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2282 on: January 27, 2022, 06:31:04 PM »

Is she from a southern state?  In her 50's?  Has nothing to do with "get Trump"?  

What is "get Trump"? Calls for personal responsibility and accountability? Expectations that he be held to the same laws as everyone else? Law and order isn't a one-way street.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #2283 on: January 27, 2022, 09:51:50 PM »

The question is do we have an experienced black female, and I'm assuming from the democratic party, for the job?  If you go with limited opportunities and under representation, the pool to draw from should be small.  I don't object to diversity but experience does count.

According to my back of the napkin math, there are about 20 million black women in America. That's a limited pool? I'd find it pretty hard to believe that not a single one of them is equally qualified as a white man...

Do you think they aren't factoring in experience?

I'm saying black people have not had the opportunities white people have had for jobs and education, especially when you're talking about the age group they normally look at when they are looking at experience.  There's going to be a limited number based on that.  Discrimination was and is still happening.  You look at where those 20 million black women are employed, their wages and their education levels.  I can tell you blacks have a higher percentage in the poverty level then their percentage in the population (if I said that right).  Not saying a black woman can't be qualified.

My personal opinion is, it was difficult for those women to get the jobs and the education.  Those women are going to be battle tried, so to speak.  They are going to bring a lot to the table when it comes to character.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
cineater
Legend

« Reply #2284 on: January 27, 2022, 10:13:35 PM »

Is she from a southern state?  In her 50's?  Has nothing to do with "get Trump"?  

What is "get Trump"? Calls for personal responsibility and accountability? Expectations that he be held to the same laws as everyone else? Law and order isn't a one-way street.

I would prefer is "Trump guilty or not of a crime", not be tried during the process of picking a new supreme court judge.  I'm sure it will brought up but a judge is suppose to way the evidence presented and then make a decision, not have an opinion already formulated.  And we're not asking them for a determination on this issue or we shouldn't be.  This is not the place for that.

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #2285 on: January 28, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »

I would prefer is "Trump guilty or not of a crime", not be tried during the process of picking a new supreme court judge.  I'm sure it will brought up but a judge is suppose to way the evidence presented and then make a decision, not have an opinion already formulated.  And we're not asking them for a determination on this issue or we shouldn't be.  This is not the place for that.

While the hope that a Justice is going take that seat with a full impartiality and bipartisanship is admirable, it is also a fairlytale. The other thing that people need to get used to is that just because someone is on your side means they are infallible is an insane thought process. This is everything wrong with US politics. As mentioned above I definitely fall far more right than left, but Trump is an idiot. Did he accomplish good things in office, sure, but they were largely over shadowed by his tweets, the election, historically bad cabinet choices, and his handling (if you can use that word) of the social unrest across the country? Absolutely!! I have huge issues with Biden... but you cannot call Biden on his shortcomings if you were blind to Trumps.

The US's need for the two political parties to pander to their extreme edges is everything wrong with US politics. Add to that a 24 hour news cycle that is aiming more to be first than correct, and far to heavy on editorials vs. reporting the facts like Cronkite.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #2286 on: January 28, 2022, 12:14:39 PM »

While the hope that a Justice is going take that seat with a full impartiality and bipartisanship is admirable, it is also a fairlytale. The other thing that people need to get used to is that just because someone is on your side means they are infallible is an insane thought process. This is everything wrong with US politics. As mentioned above I definitely fall far more right than left, but Trump is an idiot. Did he accomplish good things in office, sure, but they were largely over shadowed by his tweets, the election, historically bad cabinet choices, and his handling (if you can use that word) of the social unrest across the country? Absolutely!! I have huge issues with Biden... but you cannot call Biden on his shortcomings if you were blind to Trumps.

The US's need for the two political parties to pander to their extreme edges is everything wrong with US politics. Add to that a 24 hour news cycle that is aiming more to be first than correct, and far to heavy on editorials vs. reporting the facts like Cronkite.

I have to agree with what you said.  Nobody comes to a table without some opinions.  I prefer those people who have opinions based on a lot of information and who are willing to examine new information as it comes in.  Keep the possibility of a new opinion out there.

Trumps craziness, while too extreme for me, did get a lot of attention, kept a lot of people on their toes and some people in check.  I didn't worry so much about what the crazy over in North Korea was going to do next or if Russia was going to try to exert itself.  Biden isn't a strong enough leader for me.  He tries to exert his influence and it sounds more like he's pleading with you.

Totally agree with you on the extremist and the news issues, reasons why politics are a turn off for me.  Fortunately, things move very slowly in politics, not a lot of immediate changes to daily life barring pandemics and world wars.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #2287 on: January 28, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »

There's a solid 7 or 8 candidates who would be GREAT options.  I'm guessing they'll stick with mining the DC Circuit judges and go with Ketanji Brown Jackson, but she's not the only option.

Not sure of her background, but yes in age (51) and it doesn't matter how she feels about Trump.  Bye the bye, the one ruling related to Trump I can find (forcing John McGahn to testify), where she said "President's are not kings" (she's right) was validated by the current conservative court (related to the blocking of documents recently ruled on).

She's eminently qualified, relatively young (51) and she's a more liberal judge. Exactly what Biden would want. And, as of now, no real objections for the Senate to deny her a seat.  We'll see if any skeletons come up.

At the end of the day, it's not even worth a Repub fight, really.  This appointment won't change the make up of the court...it'll still be 6-3. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:59:09 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2288 on: January 28, 2022, 07:34:10 PM »

Is someone asking that? I may be out of the loop. I thought Trump was only looking at state level charges anyway?

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2289 on: January 28, 2022, 07:49:27 PM »

Not sure of her background, but yes in age (51) and it doesn't matter how she feels about Trump.  Bye the bye, the one ruling related to Trump I can find (forcing John McGahn to testify), where she said "President's are not kings" (she's right) was validated by the current conservative court (related to the blocking of documents recently ruled on).

She's eminently qualified, relatively young (51) and she's a more liberal judge. Exactly what Biden would want. And, as of now, no real objections for the Senate to deny her a seat.  We'll see if any skeletons come up.

At the end of the day, it's not even worth a Repub fight, really.  This appointment won't change the make up of the court...it'll still be 6-3. 

It's pretty revealing how we heard none of these questions of "qualification" being raised when Trump appointed Amy Coney Barrett, who had only been a judge for 2 years and never tried a case to verdict or argued an appeal in any court.

"President Donald Trump repeatedly claimed that he nominated Justice Amy Coney Barrett because she was a woman and a mother of young children. Her rollout announcement was deliberately modeled on Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s, and conservatives raced to co-opt RBG’s feminist legacy and affix it to Barrett. But that wasn’t tawdry pandering. Suddenly it was principled commitment to diversity. Conservatives cheered the choice to play “identity politics” just as Reagan had done with O’Connor."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/01/conservative-attacks-on-bidens-scotus-nominees-have-a-long-racist-history.html

That whole article is really worth reading. It's about the double standard we're seeing play out right now.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2290 on: January 29, 2022, 09:47:18 AM »

Someone who blanks on what rights are granted citizens by the first amendment has no business on the supreme court or why court.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #2291 on: January 29, 2022, 01:41:51 PM »

Someone who blanks on what rights are granted citizens by the first amendment has no business on the supreme court or why court.

Call it a conflict of what you've experienced and what you're suppose to have.   hihi

While I don't think it's going to take as long to sit somebody, I think with elections coming up they will use the nominee to make some negative points about the other party.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2292 on: February 04, 2022, 01:37:37 PM »

How about those job numbers released today? 467k added on January and the December numbers revised from 199k to 510k. That's nearly w million new jobs added in 2 months.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #2293 on: February 04, 2022, 03:19:37 PM »

How about those job numbers released today? 467k added on January and the December numbers revised from 199k to 510k. That's nearly w million new jobs added in 2 months.

Depends, are people go back into those low paying, no benefit jobs?  Are they really new jobs with better pay and benefits or just filling job openings?  Has the daycare issue improved?  Did employees lose the advantages of demanding more because of a labor shortage?

Always a down side to everything and numbers don't tell the story.  I still blame our work ethic for a lot of shit.  Being grounded from work was one of the positive sides of the pandemic for people if you ask me, yeah always a down side too.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #2294 on: February 04, 2022, 07:09:36 PM »

Depends, are people go back into those low paying, no benefit jobs?  Are they really new jobs with better pay and benefits or just filling job openings?  Has the daycare issue improved?  Did employees lose the advantages of demanding more because of a labor shortage?

Always a down side to everything and numbers don't tell the story.  I still blame our work ethic for a lot of shit.  Being grounded from work was one of the positive sides of the pandemic for people if you ask me, yeah always a down side too.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/04/jobs-report-january-2020-.html

The November numbers were also revised upwards sharply to 700k.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:14:49 PM by tim_m » Logged
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2295 on: February 04, 2022, 09:24:05 PM »

Depends, are people go back into those low paying, no benefit jobs?  Are they really new jobs with better pay and benefits or just filling job openings?  Has the daycare issue improved?  Did employees lose the advantages of demanding more because of a labor shortage?

Always a down side to everything and numbers don't tell the story.  I still blame our work ethic for a lot of shit.  Being grounded from work was one of the positive sides of the pandemic for people if you ask me, yeah always a down side too.

Why so negative?

Some people just can't give Biden credit for anything because they only see from their side's perspective...

cineater
Legend

« Reply #2296 on: February 04, 2022, 10:56:56 PM »

Why so negative?

Some people just can't give Biden credit for anything because they only see from their side's perspective...

It's not about Biden or those businesses that are actually employing those people and deserve the "credit".  It's about people and the lives they live, yes, from my perspective. 

What does that number really mean?  Is the CEO still making an obscene amount of money while the workers don't get shit?  What's going on with minimum wage?  Women and minorities still making less?  My perspective isn't looking at the political win score card, I'm looking for a better life for people.  I'm not bashing on your guy.  Give him a thumbs up if you want, there's still problems there, imo.

PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #2297 on: February 05, 2022, 06:32:32 PM »

It's not about Biden or those businesses that are actually employing those people and deserve the "credit".  It's about people and the lives they live, yes, from my perspective. 

What does that number really mean?  Is the CEO still making an obscene amount of money while the workers don't get shit?  What's going on with minimum wage?  Women and minorities still making less?  My perspective isn't looking at the political win score card, I'm looking for a better life for people.  I'm not bashing on your guy.  Give him a thumbs up if you want, there's still problems there, imo.

In that case, I agree. Unemployment doesn't tell the whole story. And FWIW, Biden isn't my guy. In fact, he was my last choice in the primaries. But I have to say, he's been much better than I expected.

cineater
Legend

« Reply #2298 on: February 08, 2022, 11:11:23 AM »

"The ADP (Automated Data Processing) employment report saw private payrolls shrink by 301,000. That was the first monthly decline since December 2020.4,5

More encouragingly, initial jobless claims declined, while continuing jobless claims reached their lowest level since 1973. A strong January employment report showed 467,000 jobs added during the month, with upward revisions to previously released November and December."

What does that mean?

cineater
Legend

« Reply #2299 on: February 09, 2022, 05:22:05 PM »

Got my federal tax return today, no slow down there.

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: