Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227812 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Fortus interviewed on The Radical podcast
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fortus interviewed on The Radical podcast  (Read 13673 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 05:52:54 AM »

You're free to believe what you want. I tried to explain and show you a possible reason why he's not in the band. You don't believe any of what I said.

Maybe in your opinion he's a great guy who everyone gets along with. That's ok.

But I'm not surprised that he's not in the band. For the reasons I explained.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DAVE ROCK
Rocker

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 07:22:47 AM »

Jarmo the wise man  peace

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 09:31:25 AM »

oh no, I believe some and agree with you when you imply he can be difficult to work with at some point.
I mean, like the other guys he has a big ego, a big mouth, and he's probably sometimes a pain in the ass,
nobody's perfect.it doest disqualifies him being part of a "reunion" thing to my eyes, that's all.

for what I know he was proposed to play some shows without any financial compensation, and I don't think
it's fair. he was downgraded as an additional member when he was before presented to us as some kind of
salvator of the band when he replaced Steven, I don't think that's fair either.

he was the guy who defended Slash when it was a difficult time between Axl & him.

Slash could remember that.

but I understand Axl has the final word, I just don't get it and I suppose there's other reasons not in the public domain...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »

oh no, I believe some and agree with you when you imply he can be difficult to work with at some point.
I mean, like the other guys he has a big ego, a big mouth, and he's probably sometimes a pain in the ass,
nobody's perfect.it doest disqualifies him being part of a "reunion" thing to my eyes, that's all.

for what I know he was proposed to play some shows without any financial compensation, and I don't think
it's fair. he was downgraded as an additional member when he was before presented to us as some kind of
salvator of the band when he replaced Steven, I don't think that's fair either.

he was the guy who defended Slash when it was a difficult time between Axl & him.

Slash could remember that.

but I understand Axl has the final word, I just don't get it and I suppose there's other reasons not in the public domain...

I enjoy his drumming... BUT he has never done anything other than trash Axl since about 1996. In all interviews he does he comes off as a loud mouth, and typically looks like he did a barrel of coke.

This shouldn't be a surprise... Axl has a running list of people in his head that he is willing to work with and willing to stand by that have stood by him (see Richard since 2002). Matt hasn't exactly done anything to get a spot back on that list, other than "hey Duff put in a good word for me"

Why would Axl surround himself with a guy that has been vocal against him, and would continue to be vocal moving forward. This is like the Steven argument... it would be nostalgic for a moment then the problems arise...

DeN
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »

Steven and Matt are very different, and it's not insulting Steven to say Matt has a way more professional attitude.

it's also untrue to say Matt bashed Axl every time he opened his mouth. in fact in a lot of interviews he said how
great Axl was, for example comparing him to Scott and how things were different at a success level due to him.

in his book he trashes Slash and Duff at some points, not a bad word about Axl. thats says a lot knowing the bonds
between him and Duff for example.

you said he hasn't done anything to get a spot back but I remember Axl & Matt crossed each other and had a good time
together in 2006 or 2008 or whatever.

Matt wasn't more vocal about Axl than Slash, so that's not what I'd call a good motive.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 10:40:16 AM »

It very well could.

The band, and touring, is like any team. You can get a star player, but it doesn't mean (s)he will fit in the team.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 09:14:20 PM »

I wouldn't be friends with Matt. That being said his work in UYI was instrumental in order to complete the masterpiece. Knocking him is just silly.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 06:03:40 AM »

Playing is one thing, personality is something else.

Some think people should be in bands based on their playing alone. Sure, but in the long run that might not work.

How often do you hear of bands firing a member because they couldn't play well enough? It's usually something else that's the reason.

/jarmo

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »

Playing is one thing, personality is something else.

Some think people should be in bands based on their playing alone. Sure, but in the long run that might not work.

How often do you hear of bands firing a member because they couldn't play well enough? It's usually something else that's the reason.

/jarmo

Dude... do you play? It happens all the time.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 01:19:53 PM »

I'm more used to hearing about people being fired for being convicted of crimes, drug problems, he can't write songs and other things. Not "he couldn't play"...

/jarmo

Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »

I'm more used to hearing about people being fired for being convicted of crimes, drug problems, he can't write songs and other things. Not "he couldn't play"...

/jarmo

Yeah, but that's in the news, with famous people... which accounts to maybe 1% of all musicians... if you're in bands, and look for people to collaborate and stuff like that, then its a whole different matter.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »

Oh, definitely when we're talking about bands in general.... But I mean established bands. Who do it for a living....

/jarmo

D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 02:19:26 PM »

I have just about every boot from the 2016 leg of NITL tour.  And my personal feeling is that Frank plays some tunes a bit too fast.  But it got better over time.

But drumming is weird with this band.  Always has been.  People wax outright poetic about Steven Adler, which I have never understood.  If he was this immense talent, how come he has done precisely nothing of note in the 30 years since he got tossed?  I would think such an unquestioned talent would get a call from SOMEONE in all that time, yes?

People that shit on Matt say he was too much of a robot.  Um...is that not what you want in a drummer?  Consistency?  The boots I listen to the most, and I have tons from all eras, the UYI ones feature the best drumming.  And I don't think it's close.  He had a good groove on a tune like 'Brownstone', but was always there to kill it on tunes like DTJ, YCBM and PC.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »

Steven and Matt not being in GNR doesn't really have anything to do with music. Steven has done nothing of note in 30 years because he's a dysfunctional drug addict, the reason he was tossed from the band in the first place.  As for Matt, read his book that was supposed to come out, if you can get your hands on it. His involvement with nearly every band he's been a part of doesn't end well and it's mostly his own fault. He somehow managed to make himself come off like the biggest douchebag in a book written in his own words.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 03:13:45 PM »

Steven and Matt not being in GNR doesn't really have anything to do with music. Steven has done nothing of note in 30 years because he's a dysfunctional drug addict, the reason he was tossed from the band in the first place.  As for Matt, read his book that was supposed to come out, if you can get your hands on it. His involvement with nearly every band he's been a part of doesn't end well and it's mostly his own fault. He somehow managed to make himself come off like the biggest douchebag in a book written in his own words.

Hahahaha

Matt did sort of seem like a dick, even back in the day.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »

People that shit on Matt say he was too much of a robot.  Um...is that not what you want in a drummer?  Consistency?  

Hmmm, yes and no. Depends on the music genre too. Metal and jazz demand more perfection than rock n roll and punk or folk... Sloppy drums or playing has charm sometimes... Think Bob Dylan... Brain is a far superior drummer than Frank... yet I think Frank has more groove and Brain is almost a jazzy virtuoso player that sounds to me a little out of place sometimes in Chidem..

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »

/jarmo

Yeah, but that's in the news, with famous people... which accounts to maybe 1% of all musicians... if you're in bands, and look for people to collaborate and stuff like that, then its a whole different matter.

Different how? Assholes get kicked out of cover bands, bar bands, wedding bands, local bands that never quite break, and world famous bands all the time. Regardless of playing and or songwriting ability. Skid Row for example... Sebastian Bach is an amazing talent, no major Adler like demons... if the other members could stand to be around him they would make a 10x the money they do as Skid Row featuring not Sebastian Bach on vocals. He comes off like an insufferable Douche Bag, so I'm assuming they can't be in the some room with him. That's Matt to an extent.

To the point made earlier, take boots from any era of this band and for my money the best live drumming in Matt. Brain sounded like a weak drum machine, Frank is certainly iffy on his timing, but there is a reason Frank is there.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2020, 06:53:18 AM »

I would think such an unquestioned talent would get a call from SOMEONE in all that time, yes?

someone like AC/DC you mean?
because he almost joined them, their manager retracted his offer because of his drugs problems.

but maybe AC/DC is not a big name in your book.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2020, 07:03:37 AM »

and the main reason of someone quitting a band or being fired is : "musical differences"

and everyone knows it means "I can't stand that guy anymore"  hihi

and I *understand* it's not easy to work with someone who fits perfectly your band
BUT is a pain in the ass at a personal level. what do you do? being stronger than that
and keep going, with tensions here and there, or find someone you get along with,
but compromising with your sound? most artists choose the easy way, "let's find
another guy"and sometimes it works but most part of the time I have the impression
they try to convince themselves the new guy is as good as the older one, but he's not.

I don't want to particularly romanticize difficult relationships between human being but in a
rock band context sometimes tensions gives awesome work, thinking about Faith No More's
Angel Dust for example.

D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 09:25:58 AM »

I would think such an unquestioned talent would get a call from SOMEONE in all that time, yes?

someone like AC/DC you mean?
because he almost joined them, their manager retracted his offer because of his drugs problems.

but maybe AC/DC is not a big name in your book.

They would absolutely qualify.  But, as you say, it didn't happen.

But returning to what I said...30 years.  Guy wasn't let go from GNR 20 minutes ago.

Substance abuse is definitely a concern.  But much like with "character issues" in sports, if you can play, you get a longer leash and unlimited looks from teams.  When you are only a so-so player, you aren't as fortunate.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: