Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227669 Posts in 43239 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Updates: August 3rd, 2021 Boston, MA @ Fenway Park
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Updates: August 3rd, 2021 Boston, MA @ Fenway Park  (Read 19859 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »

Great night in Boston.

They played a new unreleased song, something some said GN'R wouldn't do. And then the focus switched to how it's not really a new song.... Ok.....

Absurd to me sounds like more classic punk rock GN'R, than Silkworms did. Fits this band...

Agreed all around.

This counts as a “new” song to me.  Both lyrics and music reworked since we last heard it.  Clearly, the current band has worked on it.

This was a GREAT sign, far as I’m concerned.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »

Respectfully, I don't think that there's a healthy way to induce a raspy voice for long sets over a long period of time for these the vocal coach in the video I posted outlines. I am amazed that he did it with AC/DC. But, it was clearly a stylistic choice.

Ali

Yeah, there are some coaches who say you can do it healthy and some that say you never can. I don't think Axl's rasp is the breathy kind described in that video though. So it's almost certainly unhealthy. IDK why he hasn't worked with a coach to develop a better way of doing it though. Or maybe he has but even still, he's limited due to previous damage?

AC/DC is still not the same range as GNR.

So there is no comparison to the challenges of singing songs like Absurd and then YCBM, then SCOM, Crazy, NR, Estranged.

I disagree. I see this said a lot but rarely does anyone specify what they mean by "range". In terms of notes, he goes just as high with AC/DC as he does with Guns, if not even higher when he was trying to hit the studio version high notes on Hells Bells. Brian Johnson didn't even try that shit even back in 1980 when they did it live!

Listen to that pre-chorus around 2:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J6OZzh4GmI

or this scream at 3:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCShZHe5V5Y

If you mean register, he's using a lot of head voice, which is largely what he used for the '80s-90s and what he struggles with the most these days. That's what was so incredible and hard to understand about it.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2021, 05:40:39 PM »

Respectfully, I don't think that there's a healthy way to induce a raspy voice for long sets over a long period of time for these the vocal coach in the video I posted outlines. I am amazed that he did it with AC/DC. But, it was clearly a stylistic choice.

Ali

Yeah, there are some coaches who say you can do it healthy and some that say you never can. I don't think Axl's rasp is the breathy kind described in that video though. So it's almost certainly unhealthy. IDK why he hasn't worked with a coach to develop a better way of doing it though. Or maybe he has but even still, he's limited due to previous damage?

AC/DC is still not the same range as GNR.

So there is no comparison to the challenges of singing songs like Absurd and then YCBM, then SCOM, Crazy, NR, Estranged.

I disagree. I see this said a lot but rarely does anyone specify what they mean by "range". In terms of notes, he goes just as high with AC/DC as he does with Guns, if not even higher when he was trying to hit the studio version high notes on Hells Bells. Brian Johnson didn't even try that shit even back in 1980 when they did it live!

Listen to that pre-chorus around 2:30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J6OZzh4GmI

or this scream at 3:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCShZHe5V5Y

If you mean register, he's using a lot of head voice, which is largely what he used for the '80s-90s and what he struggles with the most these days. That's what was so incredible and hard to understand about it.
Thank you for taking the time to check out the video. More importantly, thank you for the mature and courteous response.

My main point in posting that was when he discussed why singing like that is problematic, and the part of the video that actually showed vocal folds with nodules on them.

I can understand that people prefer the raspy tone because that is the tone used during the AFD to UYI era. I just wish people would take the time to try to understand why Axl had vocal problems like then, and why, if he wanted to continue singing into his 50s and beyond, he could not continue singing that way.

That's all.

Also, I think that his real issue with his head voice is that he sometimes slips into a breathier, more falsetto-like tone. That, along with the area between his chest and head voice. But, everyone struggles with that. Also, obviously, his choice to sing in a cleaner, more balanced tone.

Ali
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 06:33:35 PM by Ali » Logged
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »

Thanks for the information beer

Rizzo160
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2021, 06:44:39 PM »

Singing with rasp can be done safely,, but it takes time to build up to it. You gotta start with a clean open throat technique. There's a great vocal coach on YouTube, Ken Tamplin. He has many videos talking about good proper technique.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »

Singing with rasp can be done safely,, but it takes time to build up to it. You gotta start with a clean open throat technique. There's a great vocal coach on YouTube, Ken Tamplin. He has many videos talking about good proper technique.
Yes, I know some coaches think it can be done. I think that they are either ignorant of the physical phenomenon that is actually going on with that tone, or they don't care about the long term ramifications of their recommendations.

The fact that Axl had issues with nodules in the 90's is proof enough that he can't sing that way any more.

Ali
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2021, 07:09:59 PM »

Just when everyone thought it would be the same old setlist ( including me)

Somehow I knew they'd do something with Silkworms eventually. I always liked it from R&R3 and the Absurd version really fits the current lineup.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2021, 07:20:03 PM »

Does Sorry apear in the list? it would be perfect thinkin in Axl's voice
Ali
Legend

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »

I asked Tamplin about Axl specifically and why he developed nodules if there really was a safe way to induce raspy tones, and here's what he said. Incidentally, his videos where he and his students try to emulate Axl's raspy tone...doesn't sound anywhere near as raspy as Axl. He also said in a different video that Axl's tone in NR sounded like he just came off tour 🤷🏽‍♂️

"Because there is a right way and a wrong way. If you don't do it correctly in your teens and 20s you won't be able to do it as you age."

Ali
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »

Does Sorry apear in the list? it would be perfect thinkin in Axl's voice

Killed the crowd at my show in Philly.  First time they did it.  You could see the boredom on faces everywhere.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »

Great night in Boston.

They played a new unreleased song, something some said GN'R wouldn't do. And then the focus switched to how it's not really a new song.... Ok.....

Absurd to me sounds like more classic punk rock GN'R, than Silkworms did. Fits this band...

Agreed all around.

This counts as a “new” song to me.  Both lyrics and music reworked since we last heard it.  Clearly, the current band has worked on it.

Great sign that shows some form of life - agreed

Was hoping the definition of a new song was not a re-worked regurgitation of something I have on a bootleg CD from 20 years ago that Slash & Duff had nothing to do with writing - but baby steps are still steps - and for that am grateful
Ali
Legend

« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2021, 02:08:51 PM »

Great night in Boston.

Agreed all around.

Great sign that shows some form of life - agreed

Was hoping the definition of a new song was not a re-worked regurgitation of something I have on a bootleg CD from 20 years ago that Slash & Duff had nothing to do with writing - but baby steps are still steps - and for that am grateful

I think Slash and Duff had a hand in the reworking of the song, as it is noticeably different. I would bet they get writing credits when it is all said and done.

Ali
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2021, 02:47:58 PM »

Why Axl dont play the piano anymore before NR? A solo? He always used to play something
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »

Why Axl dont play the piano anymore before NR? A solo? He always used to play something

Yes
Just Yes
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2021, 03:59:43 PM »

Time constraints, maybe. Haven't they been dealing with curfews?
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2021, 04:42:14 PM »

Time constraints, maybe. Haven't they been dealing with curfews?
i dont think so. RQ take 10 min, Kohd the same. And im refering to axl solo piano, not like layla, only Axl. He dindt do it anymore. Maybe he doesnt want
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2021, 11:30:58 PM »

Yes, I know some coaches think it can be done. I think that they are either ignorant of the physical phenomenon that is actually going on with that tone, or they don't care about the long term ramifications of their recommendations.

The fact that Axl had issues with nodules in the 90's is proof enough that he can't sing that way any more.

Ali
I listened to almost all the live videos here and damn. I think people just need to accept the "rasp" Illusion tour vocals are gone and will never be again. It is what it is. He has moments and is still amazing but it is not 1993. How many of us can still do exact same things proficiently at age 60 that they did at 30?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: