Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Updates: August 3rd, 2021 Boston, MA @ Fenway Park
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Updates: August 3rd, 2021 Boston, MA @ Fenway Park  (Read 19935 times)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2021, 10:29:57 AM »

Jerry : "I'm blown away!!"

George : "Are you blown??"

As I live and fucking breathe.  Could there actually be a new album at the end of this rainbow??

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2021, 11:09:53 AM »

Axl sounded a lot better he must have drank a gallon of petrol ⛽before he went on to warm up his vocal chords, good to hear them throwing in a new song (well new to the setlist) hopefully more to follow.
alcapone_dudu
Rocker

Black Frog

« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »

I AM SPEECHLESS!  Shocked

This band is fucking crazy. How would've thought of all songs... Silkworms?

I had the impression that maybe this is still a working in progress?

Kudos for the band for trying something new.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2021, 11:43:51 AM »

Axl sounded a lot better he must have drank a gallon of petrol ⛽before he went on to warm up his vocal chords, good to hear them throwing in a new song (well new to the setlist) hopefully more to follow.

Still has the deep voice.  Or in this case, the deep fugazi british voice.

I'm just encouraged by the energy displayed.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2021, 12:31:18 PM »

The best thing about the display last night was how much fun they seemed to have on stage. Good for us, it probably encourages trying new things.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »

The best thing about the display last night was how much fun they seemed to have on stage. Good for us, it probably encourages trying new things.
I think that the best thing was the clear difference between the two shows, and how that dispels the doom and gloom naysayers.

Ali
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »

I am sorry--I know that I will get torched--but the song Absurd is horrible (IMO). It may have been relevant when Industrial rock was cool, 20 years ago. Today, it sounds ridiculous and it is not GNR. I hated that song in 2001 and still hate it today. To be excited about a "new" song that is from 20 years ago and really sucks strikes me as....absurd.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »

Great night in Boston.

They played a new unreleased song, something some said GN'R wouldn't do. And then the focus switched to how it's not really a new song.... Ok.....

Absurd to me sounds like more classic punk rock GN'R, than Silkworms did. Fits this band...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »

I think that the best thing was the clear difference between the two shows, and how that dispels the doom and gloom naysayers.

Ali

I don't really offer them much attention anyways. I'm more about how the band make me feel.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Ali
Legend

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2021, 01:44:56 PM »

I am sorry--I know that I will get torched--but the song Absurd is horrible (IMO). It may have been relevant when Industrial rock was cool, 20 years ago. Today, it sounds ridiculous and it is not GNR. I hated that song in 2001 and still hate it today. To be excited about a "new" song that is from 20 years ago and really sucks strikes me as....absurd.
I would have agreed with you if it was the same song that was played all those years ago. But, in the same way that Slash and Duff added their stamp to "Better", they did that with this. I didn't notice any significant amount of synth. I agree with Jarmo, that it's more of a punk rock song that leans closer to "Down on the Farm".

The punk influence has always been a part of GN'R.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2021, 01:45:21 PM »

Ali

I don't really offer them much attention anyways. I'm more about how the band make me feel.
Well said, sir.

Ali
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2021, 02:30:05 PM »

I feel very old jajaja reading facebook see a lot of people that doesnt know silkworms.
(im from Argentina, hope you understand)
I think Axl its ok, considering that he always start tours from lowest to highest vocal level. And considering his 59.
Im going to give my modest opinion of amateur singer I am, they should play shortest sets, and get out some songs like RQ or Dead Horse, and put anothers like down on the farm, bad obsession, songs that can express his chest voice, so that he can give better performances and keep his throat. I saw one thing that never before, he didnt sang some parts of some songs, and were songs that requires lot of air. So just an opinion.
In general i think they are fantastic. We have to celebrate that they play the songs in the original key, and almost always Axl get it. I hope see them in Argentina next year.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 02:33:06 PM by alex_arg » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2021, 02:53:25 PM »

I feel very old jajaja reading facebook see a lot of people that doesnt know silkworms.
I think Axl its ok, considering that he always start tours from lowest to highest vocal level. And considering his 59.
Im going to give my modest opinion of amateur singer I am, they should play shortest sets, and get out some songs like RQ or Dead Horse, and put anothers like down on the farm, bad obsession, songs that can express his chest voice, so that he can give better performances and keep his throat. I saw one thing that never before, he didnt sang some parts of some songs, and were songs that requires lot of air. So just an opinion.
In general i think they are fantastic. We have to celebrate that they play the songs in the original key, and almost always Axl get it. I hope see them in Argentina next year.

When you haven't sung or sung for extended periods of time, the head,and then the mixed voice, is the last to get conditioned. I have said it before, but unless he has a physical issue with his vocal cords, there's no way in hell he lost any appreciable part of his range over the last 1.5 years with no touring.

Ali
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »

When you haven't sung or sung for extended periods of time, the head,and then the mixed voice, is the last to get conditioned. I have said it before, but unless he has a physical issue with his vocal cords, there's no way in hell he lost any appreciable part of his range over the last 1.5 years with no touring.

Ali

Agree. In my opinion the more dificult thing is to keep the voice all the show, jungle its okey, ycbm not at all, head voice requires lot of air and there is the problem. But im sure he is going to be better. This show was much better than the first. Hope to see hardschool in the next.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2021, 03:18:00 PM »

For all those who doubt what I am saying, or don't understand what I am saying about why Axl uses a more clean tone, please watch this. Particularly pay attention to the part @ the one minute mark.

https://youtu.be/7h_1uuU5rWA

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2021, 03:20:23 PM »

Ali

Agree. In my opinion the more dificult thing is to keep the voice all the show, jungle its okey, ycbm not at all, head voice requires lot of air and there is the problem. But im sure he is going to be better. This show was much better than the first. Hope to see hardschool in the next.
You are 100% right. Head voice requires more breath support. Especially to do it properly, or cleanly. The reason why Axl's voice often becomes raspy at the end of a phrase is because he is losing breath support.

Ali
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2021, 03:38:05 PM »

Still weird to me how people question Axls voice after the Axl/DC stuff.
He clearly has figured out a way to sing without damaging his vocal cords but can still when needed.
Plus GNR typically work out the bugs the first show back after a layoff...

Why is it weird? He never sang that consistently raspy with Guns, even in 2016. To this day, I don't understand how he pulled it off with AC/DC the way he did. I figure either he was still damaging his voice with AC/DC and just powered through it, or he found a healthy way to sing that stuff but couldn't make it work with Guns, because there is a clear degradation from 2016-2019.

In any case, it looks like the covid rest allowed his voice to recover, and for that I'm thankful!

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Ali
Legend

« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2021, 03:41:39 PM »

Respectfully, I don't think that there's a healthy way to induce a raspy voice for long sets over a long period of time for these the vocal coach in the video I posted outlines. I am amazed that he did it with AC/DC. But, it was clearly a stylistic choice.

Ali
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2021, 04:20:15 PM »

Agree. In AC DC i think was a mix of things. First Axl did a lot of rehearsals and prepared his voice a lot, and if we consider that he is an AC DC fan, being there was like a dream come true i think, so he was going to make all to sound great, so its probably that he could suffer a little damage, obiously the 95% was a tecnic way (if no, he would loose the voice).
Now clean voice is much safe at this point of his career. The most important thing is that he can keep the voice to hit the notes.
gunsbetterthanever
Rocker

« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »

We have been discussing his voice since 2001.  Lol
AC/DC is still not the same range as GNR.

So there is no comparison to the challenges of singing songs like Absurd and then YCBM, then SCOM, Crazy, NR, Estranged.

To say his songs are challenging is an understatement.

What he is doing at 59 is remarkable.

I also wish sometimes for him to scream notes with GNR more, but it must be very hard at 59 to perform 2.5 hours and do the razor/needle rasp for all of the songs.

Each show should be stronger.

....Hey Yeah.....Are ya Ready?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: