Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd / Silkworms
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd / Silkworms  (Read 34114 times)
awolgnr
Headliner

Don't you think that you need somebody?

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2021, 02:05:23 AM »

The download..Does it seem to skip a bit in the first couple chorus versus? Right at screaming banshee mark…
Agreed that there are several super tight edits throughout the song that almost disrupt the beat. I don't love it, but I do think it's intentional.

I've been where I have been and I've seen what I have seen...
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2021, 02:09:12 AM »

The download..Does it seem to skip a bit in the first couple chorus versus? Right at screaming banshee mark…

Seems like they used Axl's recorded vocals from that 1999-2001 era and then spliced it together for the new arraignment and that is just a "hard" cut.
ITARocker
VIP

"Ol? Ol? Ol?, Axl Axl!!!"

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2021, 02:12:13 AM »

Like the song or not, in any case you can listen to a song played by people who play togheter (in studio or live and not adding thing here and there with cut/copy/past 10 secs track sent by email, not seeing each others for months) The song is old as fuck and doesn't sound overproduced  Roll Eyes. It's a simple rock song with a punk rock attitude with an industrial sound  beer
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 02:13:50 AM by ITARocker » Logged
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2021, 02:24:15 AM »

I really like it! What an energyboost!   ok ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Mercess
Opening Act

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2021, 02:29:24 AM »

First of all I get why alot of fans don't like it.....

But think about it, this THE song to generate a buzz (for a new album?) I mean, the lyrics are as controversial as they can be, Axl sounds different with this englisch accent, I can imagine the press being al over this.....

This is al that all they need, to come with a proper single and album press release (soon), or am I thinking to possitive ?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:04:38 AM by Mercess » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2021, 02:35:29 AM »

FFFFFfffffffffuccckkkkkkkkkkk YYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyaeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! headbanger

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. Certified nutswinger's back ayo.

The god damn energy of it!  smoking
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2021, 03:28:48 AM »

OK I just woke up and that's a surprise...I think it's a good way to release a single.

but Silkworms? Am I the only one to think it's a weird choice? I mean the song is OK,
but not really catchy (not like Hard School for example)

I won't talk about the irony of Slash working on a new GNR track with this
kind of industrial vibe, the same he dispised some years ago...

anyway I will enjoy it for what it is, great to have something almost new  hihi

but I'm a bit afraid of the general public opinion on this

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Boromir
VIP

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2021, 04:23:49 AM »

I wouldnt read much into it. Like shadow of your love, which is now dropped off the setlist, they just uploaded something "new". Its better that nothing but IMO i think they did that so they can have a new song in the setlist.

Keep Calm and Listen to Guns N' Roses!
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 04:49:56 AM »

I think its Frank on the drums nonetheless. The cymbals sound the same as Frank uses nowdays (i use same ones)
Plus the drumming is way different from the leak. The whole arrangement is different from the old version.

Id guess Either Brain rerecorded the drums recently, or Tidal got it wrong and Its Frank on the Drums

Tidal/spotify get the song credits from the band. If it says it's Brain then it's Brain.
Youre probably right.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2021, 04:57:57 AM »

The band just dropped the studio cut. Wasn't expecting that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx3RfdAdCpQ

Just saw someone already linked it, but fuck it. After all the naysaying about new music.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 05:02:20 AM by kyrie » Logged
DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2021, 05:13:18 AM »

Regardless of what you may think of the song, you gotta give it to G n' R for creating a buzz. How many of us ( myself included) thought "Hard School" might be their next single.  

Instead they drop this bombshell of a single on us. Rather than playing it safe they released a song that is not what the casual Guns fan would expect.

I'm enjoying the song, it definitely has a crazy amount of energy to it. There's a section in the chorus that doesn't quite fit the song but yet they made it work. They definitely made some arrangement changes.

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2021, 05:22:25 AM »

Regardless of what you may think of the song, you gotta give it to G n' R for creating a buzz. How many of us ( myself included) thought "Hard School" might be their next single.  

100% YES

For some reason I see the band kind of chuckling at releasing this...thing...and watching people try to digest it....because they are about to release the real stuff that will make our heads spin.

Or at least I hope  hihi

But yeah - this cannot be a bad thing at all and the buzz is back regardless

martyngnr
Headliner

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2021, 05:37:05 AM »

I quite like it, but then I really liked Silkworms too.

Enjoying the tears on the GNR social media pages from "cool fans that are in the know" saying how much they don't like it and that GNR should release Hard School instead  rofl

"I read the internet......I know what's going on!"
Axlspants
Rocker

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2021, 05:39:33 AM »

What a lovely surprise, a new studio recording. I think the song is typical Guns n Roses and I love the punk rock vibes. I can't imagine anything other than the hard core fans liking it though, its not exactly November Rain! Thats what I love about this band, the guns and the roses.

Hope they back this up with news of an album release date. Keep momentum going.
zosobob6
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2021, 06:47:58 AM »

Never much of a fan of this song back in the day.  Blew my mind when I saw they played this in Boston because I had written it off. I also didn't think it was that good live from the videos I saw.  But the studio version is really growing on me.  The band sound great on it, and loving the Down On the Farm vocals. peace
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2021, 06:52:27 AM »

I like the song.  Very punk and hardcore. 

I also like what this means: If they have a studio ready cut of this...they likely have more.  Probably a LOT more.  How they choose to release it all? We'll have to wait and see.  But I would be SHOCKED if this were some sort of one off.

So, I like the song, but I think I like what it likely means just as much. Wink

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2021, 06:59:18 AM »

I like the song.  Very punk and hardcore. 

I also like what this means: If they have a studio ready cut of this...they likely have more.  Probably a LOT more.  How they choose to release it all? We'll have to wait and see.  But I would be SHOCKED if this were some sort of one off.

Thoughts exactly
Vezara
Headliner

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2021, 07:04:53 AM »

I love the song! Sounds fresh yet familiar.
Its the next step! I suppose this is what the next album will sound like +/-
I guess I will not be able to crank it up with the family around, that is why I have earphones... rofl
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »

Didn't expect this when I woke up this morning.  Saw it on a former bandmate's Facebook: he wasn't a fan of it, which doesn't surprise me.

Overall, I give it a kind of "meh" rating. I never liked the live version of Silkworms from Rio much so when I heard it was a reworking of Silkworms I tempered my expectations pretty heavily.

The lyrics are repetitive with the same verse three times and no real chorus. I was hoping maybe more would have been written and added. When it came through a third time I just kind of rolled my eyes and almost shut it off.

I don't remember if it was mentioned here or another board when I was looking through stuff before giving it a listen, but someone pointed out that this could be like a Shackler's Revenge situation in 2008, where it was the first song to get an official (or at least non-leak) release, putting out something new that may not be the best perhaps in an effort to pave the way for the bigger and better ones.

Should Hard School be first? No, hell no. Don't throw your biggest one out first. But I also don't know that this one was the best option either. Just hoping we get Hard School to follow, maybe Berlin.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2021, 09:22:54 AM »

Didn't expect this when I woke up this morning.  Saw it on a former bandmate's Facebook: he wasn't a fan of it, which doesn't surprise me.

Overall, I give it a kind of "meh" rating. I never liked the live version of Silkworms from Rio much so when I heard it was a reworking of Silkworms I tempered my expectations pretty heavily.

The lyrics are repetitive with the same verse three times and no real chorus. I was hoping maybe more would have been written and added. When it came through a third time I just kind of rolled my eyes and almost shut it off.

I don't remember if it was mentioned here or another board when I was looking through stuff before giving it a listen, but someone pointed out that this could be like a Shackler's Revenge situation in 2008, where it was the first song to get an official (or at least non-leak) release, putting out something new that may not be the best perhaps in an effort to pave the way for the bigger and better ones.

Should Hard School be first? No, hell no. Don't throw your biggest one out first. But I also don't know that this one was the best option either. Just hoping we get Hard School to follow, maybe Berlin.

Completely agree. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that for the first time in 13 years we have new music, and with Slash's guitar on it. And it excites me, because it probably means that there's more songs to be released.

However, talking about the song itself, it's very mediocre to say the least. Some thoughts:

- The opening electronic thing, as brief as it is, sounds weird.

- The main guitar riff is VERY uninspired and repetitive. It sounds like a riff created by someone who just learned how to play guitar.

- The chorus riff is interesting.

- The vocals are absurd, to say the least. It even sounds off tempo at some times. Very weird, especially the chorus, very boring and repetitive.

- The fill in solos are great.

- The middle section is nice, though very short. It had the potential to be longer, maybe throwing a Slash solo in the middle, and then picking up in speed and tempo. Much like Slash's solo on By The Sword or Watch This.

Overall, I think that it sounds like an unfinished song. Really disappointed that they chose this for their first single in years.

But I'm really excited that there may be more on the way, and I'm sure the next ones will be better.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 09:24:27 AM by Eduardo » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: