Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd / Silkworms
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd / Silkworms  (Read 33915 times)
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2021, 01:22:52 PM »

Norwegian newspaper VG have rolled the dice, and gave it 1

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »

Is it just Slash’s solos?

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »

Is it just Slash’s solos?

I think Fortus does the second one
coolman78SLASH
VIP

You gotta have balls man-Tony Montana-Scarface

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »

Yes, here is what they wrote:

« The Axl Rose mystery is not diminished by the new song "Absurd", in which the GN'R dictator has allegedly tricked the original members Slash and Duff McKagan into the studio for the first time since "The Spaghetti Incident?" (1993). Not that their presence can be felt to any degree: This is a worthless, sort of-tough and arrogant surplus product from the crappy album "Chinese Democracy", and it sounds - not least on the almost demonstrative absence of something reminiscent of a melody. Shame on you, Axl.»

Too harsh, and Slash presence is felt that is just a blunt lie

GnR June 10th 1993
Slash’s Snakepit June 24th 1995
Velvet Revolver August 13th 2004
GnR June 28th 2006
Slash & friends  June 30th 2009
GnR June 15th 2022
GnR June 23. 2023
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »

After reading reactions from all over, it's a mixed bag. People either love it or hate it.

Some are commenting on Axl's vocals (effects, English accent), some were expecting a "bigger" solo from Slash. Either way, it's business as usual, GN'R isn't boring at least - everyone has an opinion on them.

I think it's cool how they went about the whole thing - a surprise release that no one saw coming - not this quickly after the tour started at least.

About the song, I think it was a conscious choice to start the "onslaught" of new music with a quick, simple and aggressive punk rocker. I remember Axl got some heat for the amount of ballads on Chinese, and this might be a statement that GN'R is first and foremost a hard rock band.

If Hard School is the next one out, I think it will appeal to the masses, as it's more of a traditional song.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2021, 02:17:10 PM »

« The Axl Rose mystery is not diminished by the new song "Absurd", in which the GN'R dictator has allegedly tricked the original members Slash and Duff McKagan into the studio for the first time since "The Spaghetti Incident?" (1993). Not that their presence can be felt to any degree: This is a worthless, sort of-tough and arrogant surplus product from the crappy album "Chinese Democracy", and it sounds - not least on the almost demonstrative absence of something reminiscent of a melody. Shame on you, Axl.»

Too harsh but I don't blame them for this opinion. GNR must've seen it coming when they decided to release this type of song instead of a more traditional one.

Also, I think the fact that it's a Chinese Democracy outtake will contribute a lot for the bad reviews, since ChiDem gets lots of (unfair) hate.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »

Too harsh but I don't blame them for this opinion. GNR must've seen it coming when they decided to release this type of song instead of a more traditional one.

Also, I think the fact that it's a Chinese Democracy outtake will contribute a lot for the bad reviews, since ChiDem gets lots of (unfair) hate.
On the latter point I 100% agree with you. The truth is that the general public only knows that this is a CD era song originally because Silkworms was played live. Songs like Hard School, Atlas Shrugged, etc never were, so most people have never heard them. So, they shouldn't have that baggage. It would probably help to rename them too.

Ali
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2021, 02:27:52 PM »

this is awesome finally a studio version of what use to be silk worms and i love it
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2021, 03:18:42 PM »

The more I listen the more find myself humming the words from Oh My God here and there - that's only vibe I'm getting
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »

Don't know what to think about this, really... Axl's vocals are so touched up he's hardly recognizable. Why not do his deeper voice without messing it up with effects? It could be a decent song with different arrangement and without so many damn effects. But IMHO: this is not punk.

I highly doubt Axl’s vocals were re-recorded. This sounds like a similar treatment to what his vocals got in Oh My God, which is from the same general time frame. That little skip/early entry of the “Screaming Fucking Bashee” part just proves that they spliced already recorded vocals together to match the new song structure. Hopefully mixed in with reworked CD era material there are actual “new” songs with current vocals that may not be as modified by where Axl was stylistically 22 years ago. All that said, this is better than certain songs that were released on CD… like Scraped and Shackler.
Eduardo
VIP

« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2021, 04:22:30 PM »

Don't know what to think about this, really... Axl's vocals are so touched up he's hardly recognizable. Why not do his deeper voice without messing it up with effects? It could be a decent song with different arrangement and without so many damn effects. But IMHO: this is not punk.

I highly doubt Axl’s vocals were re-recorded. This sounds like a similar treatment to what his vocals got in Oh My God, which is from the same general time frame. That little skip/early entry of the “Screaming Fucking Bashee” part just proves that they spliced already recorded vocals together to match the new song structure. Hopefully mixed in with reworked CD era material there are actual “new” songs with current vocals that may not be as modified by where Axl was stylistically 22 years ago. All that said, this is better than certain songs that were released on CD… like Scraped and Shackler.

Exactly my thoughts. The vocals sound patched up, and some verses sound out of tempo/place.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2021, 04:33:33 PM »

Exactly my thoughts. The vocals sound patched up, and some verses sound out of tempo/place.

Can it be in purpose? I find the lyrics to be gradually more clear with each verse, wich give an effect of a clearer and clearer message combined with the repetitive words. That's just my interpretation. Anyway, good song! The live version of Silkworms never hooked me, but this makes me curious of what the studioversion would sound like.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
sworrm
Rocker

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2021, 04:56:01 PM »

I don’t see how GnR releasing new music can be anything other than major positive ✊🏼. I’m stoked 💥
(t)
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »

Yeah I think the vocal tempo being a little staggered is a deliberate thing. It sounded weird the first time I heard it because I had become accustomed to the old/live versions, but the more I listen, the more normal it sounds.

Nice to see official lyrics posted with the youtube video.
cineater
Legend

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2021, 05:29:19 PM »

Totally don't get this song as a stand alone song.  Not sure how to describe it but it feels like it should be the opening bit before the rock opera starts and you get the whole story.  Opening bit and closing bit to a set of songs that tells a story.

If that's where they are going, not going to be one of those love stories with a happily ever after.   hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2021, 05:46:22 PM »

I still think it’s an odd choice for first single in 13 years. It will get no radio play due to lyrics. Casual fans are unlikely to like it. Hard core fans are mixed and mostly just excited to have something “new.” To me, it’s just a curious decision.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2021, 06:11:57 PM »

I don't know about "no radio play", though Canada might be different when it comes to explicit content?

Just saw this on twitter by coincidence:

Q107 Toronto
Listen to brand spankin' new @gunsnroses! -
@ChenOnAir

Sweetness is a virtue
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2021, 06:12:11 PM »

Way too harsh. When he calls CD crappy, we know hes not offering any kind of unbiased opinion.  Absurd is a very different song from the band, it took me a few listens to really be able to figure out if I liked it but it very much grows on you.

Not all good songs kiss you on the lips 1st listen.  

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2021, 06:15:24 PM »

Credibility just flew out the window as soon as he made assumptions to how the song came about.

Sweetness is a virtue
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »

They don't need radio play. They don't really need the casual fan to like it neither. And they sure don't need some random dude in the Norwegian newspapers to like it. They focus on the art, and that's great.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: