Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:30:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd / Silkworms
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd / Silkworms  (Read 33927 times)
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2021, 07:21:29 PM »

Should Hard School be first? No, hell no. Don't throw your biggest one out first. But I also don't know that this one was the best option either. Just hoping we get Hard School to follow, maybe Berlin.

First of all, if Hard School is their best song in the wings, I'm terrified. I'd consider Hard School even more of a throwaway than Absurd.

But moreover, why wouldn't you throw out your best first? The last thing you want is people to dislike the first taste and never come back to even try your best stuff.

Don't know what to think about this, really... Axl's vocals are so touched up he's hardly recognizable. Why not do his deeper voice without messing it up with effects? It could be a decent song with different arrangement and without so many damn effects. But IMHO: this is not punk.

Agreed, I think it sounds WAY better live. Also Axl does the "screaming banshee" line differently live and it flows much more naturally. The studio cadence of that line feels weird.

I don't think that there are that many effects, at least as compared to Silkworms. Axl's voice sounds like it does in the live version to me. So, I think it is recognizable in that sense. But, his accent may throw people off.

Ali

His voice sounds fuller and deeper live. I'm thinking this is the same vocal take as Silkworms? I really think he sounds better today, at least in terms of this particular song.

Totally don't get this song as a stand alone song.

I'm thinking it's intentionally just a teaser and not meant to be on the radio or even considered a single. I mean, it may not even be on the album for all we know. Oh My God wasn't on CD and also didn't really represent what that album would sound like either. I feel like if it was intended to be an album single with radio play, they would have announced the album along with it and released a censored version. How many bands release a single for an album they haven't even announced yet?

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2021, 07:29:58 PM »

I'm thinking it's intentionally just a teaser and not meant to be on the radio or even considered a single. I mean, it may not even be on the album for all we know. Oh My God wasn't on CD and also didn't really represent what that album would sound like either. I feel like if it was intended to be an album single with radio play, they would have announced the album along with it and released a censored version. How many bands release a single for an album they haven't even announced yet?
[/quote]

I hope this is accurate!
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2021, 07:33:42 PM »

I still think it’s an odd choice for first single in 13 years. It will get no radio play due to lyrics. Casual fans are unlikely to like it. Hard core fans are mixed and mostly just excited to have something “new.” To me, it’s just a curious decision.

the last guns album came out in 2008 it has not been 13 years
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2021, 07:33:55 PM »

I'm sure you are all familiar with 'Achtung Baby'.  Probably U2's second best known album after 'The Joshua Tree'.

It contains all time classic U2 tunes like 'One', 'Mysterious Ways', 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'.  All songs that have been setlist staples for the almost 30 years since.

Does anyone recall what the first single was?  The one that came out before the album??  Because I do.  It was 'The Fly'.

I still recall a line from a 1991 Year In Review article about the album.  "In October, U2 released the album's lead single, 'The Fly'...and promptly scared the shit out of their entire fanbase."

Now, I happen to really like that song.  But, completely candid, it's...what?  Maybe the 6th best song on that album?  Maybe even the 7th.  And it was a totally different sound than what the U2 fanbase had come to expect.  Second single was 'Mysterious Ways', and the third single was 'One'.  Rest was history.  That album went on to sell a jillion copies, and produce a tour that is still considered one of the greatest spectacles of all time.

So, to make a long story short (too late) you can't let a first impression freak you out.  

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »

Sounds amazing I’m really digging it, real bouncy guitar riff. It’s so non mainstream, I love it.

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2021, 07:42:27 PM »

I still think it’s an odd choice for first single in 13 years. It will get no radio play due to lyrics. Casual fans are unlikely to like it. Hard core fans are mixed and mostly just excited to have something “new.” To me, it’s just a curious decision.

2008 is 13 years ago...

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2021, 07:54:57 PM »

I'm sure you are all familiar with 'Achtung Baby'.  Probably U2's second best known album after 'The Joshua Tree'.

It contains all time classic U2 tunes like 'One', 'Mysterious Ways', 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'.  All songs that have been setlist staples for the almost 30 years since.

Does anyone recall what the first single was?  The one that came out before the album??  Because I do.  It was 'The Fly'.

I still recall a line from a 1991 Year In Review article about the album.  "In October, U2 released the album's lead single, 'The Fly'...and promptly scared the shit out of their entire fanbase."

Now, I happen to really like that song.  But, completely candid, it's...what?  Maybe the 6th best song on that album?  Maybe even the 7th.  And it was a totally different sound than what the U2 fanbase had come to expect.  Second single was 'Mysterious Ways', and the third single was 'One'.  Rest was history.  That album went on to sell a jillion copies, and produce a tour that is still considered one of the greatest spectacles of all time.

So, to make a long story short (too late) you can't let a first impression freak you out.  

Also, with the variety of styles we're used to with Guns, it's fair to think that a new album of theirs will be diverse.

I think it's a case where they didn't want to put out an epic, grand song as the first single, but rather a fast-paced and somewhat aggressive one. Knowing in advance how the general audience will react to a song is always a bit "up in the air" - you can't know for sure.

The song grows on me personally, I like it. I can also see how the casual fan haven't heard Axl sing in that manner before, and being thrown off by it. They're expecting high pitched, (sometimes) raspy vocals with even higher screams.

Sweetness is a virtue
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2021, 08:13:36 PM »

The song's lyrics are strange, hopefully the next single is more of a blues sound. beer

Rizzo160
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2021, 08:16:37 PM »

I'm sure you are all familiar with 'Achtung Baby'.  Probably U2's second best known album after 'The Joshua Tree'.

It contains all time classic U2 tunes like 'One', 'Mysterious Ways', 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'.  All songs that have been setlist staples for the almost 30 years since.

Does anyone recall what the first single was?  The one that came out before the album??  Because I do.  It was 'The Fly'.

I still recall a line from a 1991 Year In Review article about the album.  "In October, U2 released the album's lead single, 'The Fly'...and promptly scared the shit out of their entire fanbase."

Now, I happen to really like that song.  But, completely candid, it's...what?  Maybe the 6th best song on that album?  Maybe even the 7th.  And it was a totally different sound than what the U2 fanbase had come to expect.  Second single was 'Mysterious Ways', and the third single was 'One'.  Rest was history.  That album went on to sell a jillion copies, and produce a tour that is still considered one of the greatest spectacles of all time.

The Fly is amazing. Prefect single to introduce the 1990s U2 to the world....

Not the best song on the album. But made a lot of sense..... Smiley

Absurd is classic GN'R meets 2000s GN'R. It's where they are today. Don't like it? Ok.... You'll always have the old albums.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2021, 08:20:38 PM »

There is a lot of material of that era, they choose silkworms. its good, but really im sure they did a couple more
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:24:12 PM by alex_arg » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2021, 08:23:51 PM »

It's a GREAT riff.  Clever lyrics too.  Always been a favorite of mine.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2021, 08:28:40 PM »

There is a lot of material of that era, they choose silkworms. it's good, but really I'm sure they did a couple more

i agree we been wondering what would a studio version of silkworms would sound like and we finally got a studio version of silk worms a much better song then that was play live in 2001
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2021, 08:29:43 PM »

Absurd is classic GN'R meets 2000s GN'R. It's where they are today. Don't like it? Ok.... You'll always have the old albums.

But, talking about Absurd on an album, it might not be representative for the general sound/vibe of the whole collection of songs. In that case, you'll probably have other new songs to love.

Looking at it historically with Chinese and the Illusions, I think we can expect a melting pot.

Sweetness is a virtue
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2021, 08:31:13 PM »

I'm sure you are all familiar with 'Achtung Baby'.  Probably U2's second best known album after 'The Joshua Tree'.

It contains all time classic U2 tunes like 'One', 'Mysterious Ways', 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'.  All songs that have been setlist staples for the almost 30 years since.

Does anyone recall what the first single was?  The one that came out before the album??  Because I do.  It was 'The Fly'.

I still recall a line from a 1991 Year In Review article about the album.  "In October, U2 released the album's lead single, 'The Fly'...and promptly scared the shit out of their entire fanbase."

Now, I happen to really like that song.  But, completely candid, it's...what?  Maybe the 6th best song on that album?  Maybe even the 7th.  And it was a totally different sound than what the U2 fanbase had come to expect.  Second single was 'Mysterious Ways', and the third single was 'One'.  Rest was history.  That album went on to sell a jillion copies, and produce a tour that is still considered one of the greatest spectacles of all time.

/jarmo

i agree jarmo this studio version of absurd is a rock classic
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2021, 08:33:10 PM »

There is a lot of material of that era, they choose silkworms. it's good, but really I'm sure they did a couple more

i agree we been wondering what would a studio version of silkworms would sound like and we finally got a studio version of silk worms a much better song then that was play live in 2001
Yes, i think the lyrycs that was cut was a mistake, "what can i do with a bitch like you" they could change the lyric if they consider it bad, but keep lyrics in that part would be perfect.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2021, 08:57:40 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, do you think that GN'R will continue dropping single songs here and there? Or, a full-fledged album?

Ali
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »

8 + 13 = 21

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2021, 09:38:33 PM »

But, talking about Absurd on an album, it might not be representative for the general sound/vibe of the whole collection of songs. In that case, you'll probably have other new songs to love.

Looking at it historically with Chinese and the Illusions, I think we can expect a melting pot.

Maybe Absurd is the Shotgun Blues, Right Next Door to Hell of the album. Straight, no brainer rock songs.

I hope there are more intricate songs, as I'm more of an Illusions type of guy.
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2021, 09:43:25 PM »

I been super busy and just listened for the first time.....Mixed thoughts right now but for the most part I like it. Gonna put it on headphones and listen a few more times to soak it in. First impression though is  ok
axlroses
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2021, 10:22:20 PM »

I love the song
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: