Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd / Silkworms
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd / Silkworms  (Read 33930 times)
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2021, 10:24:43 PM »

I didn't know what to think when I first heard it...but it's growing on me now....it's kinda Down on the Farm meets My World....I can't stop listening to it  Cool

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »

I didn't know what to think when I first heard it...but it's growing on me now....it's kinda Down on the Farm meets My World....I can't stop listening to it  Cool
I just can't stop thinking of "Oh my God". Not that it is a bad thing, I just hear an industrial vocal sound meets a punk style rock mix. Definitely cool though. I keep listening over and over
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2021, 11:35:55 PM »

Jarmo, do you think that GN'R will continue dropping single songs here and there? Or, a full-fledged album?

Ali

Good question. Let's see how things progress.

I like the single idea. Keeps the momentum going. But who knows what the plans are.... Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2021, 11:51:56 PM »

can not stop listening to this rock classic
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2021, 11:56:51 PM »

can not stop listening to this rock classic
Lol.....don't go there yet. But i have had it on repeat for some time now. You keep getting more and more out of it, the more you listen
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:58:41 PM by dsaddler78 » Logged
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2021, 12:16:34 AM »

They really could have done a lot more with that soft breakdown, though. Without it being longer, it just feels out of place and doesn't really seem worth including.

I have to agree with the people saying it feels undercooked. The riffs and structure are very simple and Slash didn't change very much except the guitar tone. I think it had potential to be more.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Nightrain7
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »

Im really enjoying 'Absurd'.
It's one of the most GN'R things to do. Release a song they know won't be played on 'air', it will be somewhat controversial (lyrical), it's pretty badass, aggressive a.f.  just as ISE and WTTJ was over 30 years ago. They haven't played it safe, it's a progressive band with progressive sounds. They have once again done things 'their way', and we finally got an official release. Personally I would have made the comeback song something like Atlas/Hardschool- but hey, it's not my band.....
Crank up the volume, mesmerise yourself in the Medusa clip, pour a whisky and just enjoy it! hah.

Chinese Democracy "Get on board or F**K OFF!!"
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2021, 12:58:54 AM »

They really could have done a lot more with that soft breakdown, though. Without it being longer, it just feels out of place and doesn't really seem worth including.

I have to agree with the people saying it feels undercooked. The riffs and structure are very simple and Slash didn't change very much except the guitar tone. I think it had potential to be more.
Nailed it...IMO
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2021, 05:11:52 AM »

This release brought my enthusiasm for this band back.

I think it was a GREAT idea to drop a new track this way, that GnR was URGENTLY needing a move like this, and I also think releasing a ChiDem era song was another great and refreshing idea.

The song rocks hard. I know this since 2001, then the studio leak confirmed it, and this isn't the exception. Loved the video, the visuals, and the way Axl performed it live.

Just 2 negative things I can see:

1) Slash. Slash should not even appear on it. His bluesy/sloppy sound doesn't fit AT ALL with the modern/industrial sound the song has, and Richard has the needed skills to do the whole guitar parts. I dont see the reason why the band would replace the original guitar parts, when they were clearly better/superior

2) I didn't like the lyrics adaptation. I really REALLY miss the ''what can I do... with a bitch like you''.

Im crossing my fingers for MORE and MORE chidem era songs releases, specially ''Perhaps'' and ''Atlas''.  I think ''Perhaps'' has the level and the grandiosity of other Axl masterpieces like TWAT, Estranged, November Rain, etc.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2021, 06:37:38 AM »

I asked my friends what they think of the new GN'R song. The response was positive/neutral.

Im starting to be positive about a full length album release late this year/early next year.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2021, 06:46:15 AM »

I'm sure you are all familiar with 'Achtung Baby'.  Probably U2's second best known album after 'The Joshua Tree'.

It contains all time classic U2 tunes like 'One', 'Mysterious Ways', 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'.  All songs that have been setlist staples for the almost 30 years since.

Does anyone recall what the first single was?  The one that came out before the album??  Because I do.  It was 'The Fly'.

I still recall a line from a 1991 Year In Review article about the album.  "In October, U2 released the album's lead single, 'The Fly'...and promptly scared the shit out of their entire fanbase."

Now, I happen to really like that song.  But, completely candid, it's...what?  Maybe the 6th best song on that album?  Maybe even the 7th.  And it was a totally different sound than what the U2 fanbase had come to expect.  Second single was 'Mysterious Ways', and the third single was 'One'.  Rest was history.  That album went on to sell a jillion copies, and produce a tour that is still considered one of the greatest spectacles of all time.

So, to make a long story short (too late) you can't let a first impression freak you out.  

difference is, it's not a first impression.
I mean, we had 20 years to evaluate the qualities of Silk...Absurd.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Executioner
Rocker

« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2021, 07:30:47 AM »

It's definitely divided opinions had they done another WTTJ, SCOM or November Rain they would have been lynched at dawn and accused of lacking in any fresh ideas ,I do think if they release an album it will be a mix of old and new sounds a bit like CD which isn't a bad thing.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »

So after listening to Absurd several times, its become an ear worm and I'm having trouble containing myself from blurting out 'pussy full of maggots', even while my kids are around  Grin

I think Axl released this as the first single for a few reasons:
1. As a fuck you to Geffen, getting his way  
2. As a "I won" to Slash, in that he got him to play on a song that could be considered emblematic of stylistic departure for GN'R that partially led to him leaving the band.  
3. It's content and aggressiveness demonstrates that Guns have not gotten soft in their older age.

Also, this nonsense about the "mistake" in the production is crap.  Axl is meticulous and precise, nothing is a mistake.  

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »

Oh, add to that the possibility that one of the reasons why it was picked to be released was because some had already heard it, but not the finalized version.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2021, 11:08:14 AM »

So after listening to Absurd several times, its become an ear worm and I'm having trouble containing myself from blurting out 'pussy full of maggots', even while my kids are around  Grin

I think Axl released this as the first single for a few reasons:
1. As a fuck you to Geffen, getting his way  
2. As a "I won" to Slash, in that he got him to play on a song that could be considered emblematic of stylistic departure for GN'R that partially led to him leaving the band.  
3. It's content and aggressiveness demonstrates that Guns have not gotten soft in their older age.

Also, this nonsense about the "mistake" in the production is crap.  Axl is meticulous and precise, nothing is a mistake.  

More I think on this - More I am optimistic that this is typical Gnr irony
That they actually have a lot of good stuff ready to go - but threw this out there as a probe / test case - see how it flies releasing in that fashion...nothing too fancy..just a punky nasty little thing - not to be taken too seriouisly..and prob got a chuckle knowing what's to come..hopefully in the near future

Then again I'm wrong more than I'm right on this topic so...... Lips Sealed
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2021, 11:59:12 AM »

Oh, add to that the possibility that one of the reasons why it was picked to be released was because some had already heard it, but not the finalized version.....

/jarmo

that a good point did we heard in the past of some people saying they heard a much different silk worms
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2021, 01:21:59 PM »

If I had to pick a preferred version of silkworms it would be the 2000 demo and then if you layered slash’s guitar work onto that, musically and the vocal melody would make it something I’d be ok with being on an album. But the lyrics are probably the worst thing since my world. The only upside to the 2000 demo is that it didn’t feel the need to have a chorus, so we don’t have the awkward jamming of absurd in there or whatever he said in the live versions from the rock in rio era

Hopefully this is a taste before more stuff, and not like when oh my god was released. Cool that gnr is considering sharing new music with us, but baffled by their choice to go with something 21 years old and lyrically kind of out of touch

Atlas Shrugged to me is a mature bit of lyric writing with some nice reflection in there

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2021, 01:37:16 PM »

Did anyone notice the different Copyright on the song? At least in Spotify.

Previous releases are Copyright Geffen or UMG.

Absurd is Copyright Guns N' Roses, under exclusive license to Geffen Records.

Yet another hint about how they needed to figure out how to release new music....

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2021, 01:50:18 PM »

Yet another hint about how they needed to figure out how to release new music....

/jarmo

Yes. I noticed that right away. I was told by a very knowledgeable person that it means that they own the masters, and that they have likely renegotiated their record contract.

Ali
kunzerd
VIP

5/12/06, 5/17/06, 11/10/06, 11/26/11, 2/10/12,

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2021, 01:51:18 PM »

/jarmo

Thats actually a really cool point, and encouraging if they are just going their own way.

12/06/02 - Philly RIOT
5/12/06 - Hammerstein, NY
5/17/06 - Hammerstein, NY
11/10/06 - MSG
11/26/11 - Camden. NJ
2/10/12 - Roseland Ballroom, NY
2/24/12 - HoB, AC, NJ
6/12/13 - Quebec
7/14/16 -
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: