Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd / Silkworms
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd / Silkworms  (Read 33933 times)
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2021, 03:04:23 PM »

Also, this nonsense about the "mistake" in the production is crap.  Axl is meticulous and precise, nothing is a mistake.  

If the first jump to "Screaming fucking banshee" isn't an accident why is it so abrupt and placed in away that you literally can't complete the first phrase and move on to the next phrase live in the same way? Axl hasn't sung it that way in 2 straight shows. I can't see a reason for it, just seems like a splicing hiccup to get 1999-2000 recorded lyrics to match the new song structure. It also never comes in the same way the other times that line is repeated. Maybe it was just a rush job by Caram to get it out to take advantage of the press from playing it at Fenway. Not the end of the world, but cleary it was a minor oversight...

The man is not infallible, look back 13 years ago, it looked like a Malibu Pre School was given the job of typing up the Chinese Democracy liner notes.
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2021, 03:22:18 PM »

Did anyone notice the different Copyright on the song? At least in Spotify.

Previous releases are Copyright Geffen or UMG.

Absurd is Copyright Guns N' Roses, under exclusive license to Geffen Records.

Certainly the first release I've seen with this credit.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2021, 04:49:10 PM »

listened to it endlessly while walking in Paris streets tonight,
sounds very good and it's growing on me, I like the thing is
it doesn't sound like it's 1993, and it's more organic than
the previous version we used to know.

really curious to listen to the other tracks now...

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »

1) Slash. Slash should not even appear on it. His bluesy/sloppy sound doesn't fit AT ALL with the modern/industrial sound the song has, and Richard has the needed skills to do the whole guitar parts. I dont see the reason why the band would replace the original guitar parts, when they were clearly better/superior

There are guitars on the original? It sounds all electronic to me.

I think Slash fits well giving it that punky vibe. It doesn't even sound that industrial anymore besides the intro and Axl's vocal effect.

2. As a "I won" to Slash, in that he got him to play on a song that could be considered emblematic of stylistic departure for GN'R that partially led to him leaving the band.  
3. It's content and aggressiveness demonstrates that Guns have not gotten soft in their older age.

Also, this nonsense about the "mistake" in the production is crap.  Axl is meticulous and precise, nothing is a mistake.  

I highly doubt this is "sticking it to Slash" in any way. With guitars on it, it's really no longer that industrial. I mean, a melody itself can't be industrial, as that term really just describes instrumentation and effects. And proven by the fact that with guitars added and little else changed, it sounds like a punk song.

I agree Axl is meticulous, but if it was intentional, why doesn't he do it that way live? IDK, it just seems fishy.

If the first jump to "Screaming fucking banshee" isn't an accident why is it so abrupt and placed in away that you literally can't complete the first phrase and move on to the next phrase live in the same way? Axl hasn't sung it that way in 2 straight shows. I can't see a reason for it, just seems like a splicing hiccup to get 1999-2000 recorded lyrics to match the new song structure.

Here's the thing about that: You can easily stretch or squish a splice with modern software without changing the pitch. And the verse wasn't even the part of the song they changed anyway. It's very weird.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Lotgrinder
Headliner

« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2021, 05:57:34 PM »

Listen MOTHERFUCKERS to my SHIT POST that should be HEARD!!!

Pros:

The current line up is tinkering around with old tracks and releasing new music.
The simplicity of this track's lyrics actually caters to the modern day music listener's attention span and education level.

Cons:

The new chorus, where Axl just yells "Absurd," is a disaster compared to the original chorus line, it should have been left in place.
The structure of the song is not one where Slash can really show off his talent as a bluesy guitar player, this song should have been left in almost oridinal format and been a B-side to "Checkmate."

The Biggest Question:

Is this a song the band is really proud of, or just a quick plate full of scraps thrown to all us forum posters who been starving for a new track for thirteen years?

For Anyone Going To The Detroit Show:

Also, by the way, this is "Intensity" aka Mr. Intensity and a number of other names that was banned in the past. I'm from Detroit. Will be at the Detroit show Sunday. Let me know of any meet ups.

I hope I redeemed myself to Jarmo and the forum posters (who didn't enjoy me) when I bought up thirty or so tickets for the Hammerstein Ballroom shows when Finck/Bumblefoot was in the band and sold them all for face value at the HTGTH meet up party when everyone else was selling them for double or triple. Always been a bit of a troll at heart, but Jarmo runs a great ship here, and I'm happy to see how rewarded he is from the band.

Even though he may be an Axl nuthugger at times. (It's ok to admit bias Jarmo, I built a special home in my heart for Axl to, see you all in Detroit tomorrow night, and if Jarmo is there I'd love to buy you a top shelf drink or ten!)

I bought ten main floor GA tickets and half the people I am going with this is their first Guns N Roses show.

So the setlist is A.OK with me, just tell Axl to stop being a NIT and debut "Checkmate" or put the "Bitch Like You" chorus back into Silkworms and point at me for being so "ABSURD" to think the band takes requests!  rofl rofl rofl

Much love to you all.

I literally discovered I enjoyed writing and posting because of this forum in 1999 when I was bored at Central Michigan University, I think the band was working on "2000 Intentions."  hihi

-Justin Vitale aka Intensity aka now Lotgrinder.

peace
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 06:06:03 PM by Lotgrinder » Logged

kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2021, 07:22:41 PM »

Didn't expect this when I woke up this morning.  Saw it on a former bandmate's Facebook: he wasn't a fan of it, which doesn't surprise me.

Overall, I give it a kind of "meh" rating. I never liked the live version of Silkworms from Rio much so when I heard it was a reworking of Silkworms I tempered my expectations pretty heavily.

The lyrics are repetitive with the same verse three times and no real chorus. I was hoping maybe more would have been written and added. When it came through a third time I just kind of rolled my eyes and almost shut it off.

I don't remember if it was mentioned here or another board when I was looking through stuff before giving it a listen, but someone pointed out that this could be like a Shackler's Revenge situation in 2008, where it was the first song to get an official (or at least non-leak) release, putting out something new that may not be the best perhaps in an effort to pave the way for the bigger and better ones.

Should Hard School be first? No, hell no. Don't throw your biggest one out first. But I also don't know that this one was the best option either. Just hoping we get Hard School to follow, maybe Berlin.

Completely agree. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that for the first time in 13 years we have new music, and with Slash's guitar on it. And it excites me, because it probably means that there's more songs to be released.

However, talking about the song itself, it's very mediocre to say the least. Some thoughts:

- The opening electronic thing, as brief as it is, sounds weird.

- The main guitar riff is VERY uninspired and repetitive. It sounds like a riff created by someone who just learned how to play guitar.

- The chorus riff is interesting.

- The vocals are absurd, to say the least. It even sounds off tempo at some times. Very weird, especially the chorus, very boring and repetitive.

- The fill in solos are great.

- The middle section is nice, though very short. It had the potential to be longer, maybe throwing a Slash solo in the middle, and then picking up in speed and tempo. Much like Slash's solo on By The Sword or Watch This.

Overall, I think that it sounds like an unfinished song. Really disappointed that they chose this for their first single in years.

But I'm really excited that there may be more on the way, and I'm sure the next ones will be better.

I don't feel people should be calling this a "single." Singles get released to radio (yes, radio is still a thing and doing better than some may think, though too many local outfits were gobbled up by larger entities), streaming, etc., get a video, and are pushed potentially in ads or movie soundtracks, all to promote an album. There's generally a physical media release of some sort (oddly enough, despite being released to radio stations and charting in Canada at least, Street of Dreams was never considered a single).

While I do think Absurd is a positive sign for an album in 2022, I consider it more of a bonus track/gift for fans.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2021, 08:39:38 PM »

Didn't expect this when I woke up this morning.  Saw it on a former bandmate's Facebook: he wasn't a fan of it, which doesn't surprise me.

Overall, I give it a kind of "meh" rating. I never liked the live version of Silkworms from Rio much so when I heard it was a reworking of Silkworms I tempered my expectations pretty heavily.

The lyrics are repetitive with the same verse three times and no real chorus. I was hoping maybe more would have been written and added. When it came through a third time I just kind of rolled my eyes and almost shut it off.

I don't remember if it was mentioned here or another board when I was looking through stuff before giving it a listen, but someone pointed out that this could be like a Shackler's Revenge situation in 2008, where it was the first song to get an official (or at least non-leak) release, putting out something new that may not be the best perhaps in an effort to pave the way for the bigger and better ones.

Should Hard School be first? No, hell no. Don't throw your biggest one out first. But I also don't know that this one was the best option either. Just hoping we get Hard School to follow, maybe Berlin.

Completely agree. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that for the first time in 13 years we have new music, and with Slash's guitar on it. And it excites me, because it probably means that there's more songs to be released.

However, talking about the song itself, it's very mediocre to say the least. Some thoughts:

- The opening electronic thing, as brief as it is, sounds weird.

- The main guitar riff is VERY uninspired and repetitive. It sounds like a riff created by someone who just learned how to play guitar.

- The chorus riff is interesting.

- The vocals are absurd, to say the least. It even sounds off tempo at some times. Very weird, especially the chorus, very boring and repetitive.

- The fill in solos are great.

- The middle section is nice, though very short. It had the potential to be longer, maybe throwing a Slash solo in the middle, and then picking up in speed and tempo. Much like Slash's solo on By The Sword or Watch This.

Overall, I think that it sounds like an unfinished song. Really disappointed that they chose this for their first single in years.

But I'm really excited that there may be more on the way, and I'm sure the next ones will be better.

I don't feel people should be calling this a "single." Singles get released to radio (yes, radio is still a thing and doing better than some may think, though too many local outfits were gobbled up by larger entities), streaming, etc., get a video, and are pushed potentially in ads or movie soundtracks, all to promote an album. There's generally a physical media release of some sort (oddly enough, despite being released to radio stations and charting in Canada at least, Street of Dreams was never considered a single).

While I do think Absurd is a positive sign for an album in 2022, I consider it more of a bonus track/gift for fans.
Well said. There's no indication that there's an album coming soon, and if there was, this would be on it.

Ali
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2021, 03:02:40 AM »

Not so sure. I really think the band might be gearing itself up for a few single drops as the tour progresses with the songs part of an upcoming album, hopefully around the holidays later this year. It’s a great way to maintain momentum and fan interest and avoids the leak issue. Also just wanna say I am so damn happy this has happened  peace

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
GingerGringo92
Headliner

« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2021, 08:07:48 AM »

1) Slash. Slash should not even appear on it. His bluesy/sloppy sound doesn't fit AT ALL with the modern/industrial sound the song has, and Richard has the needed skills to do the whole guitar parts. I dont see the reason why the band would replace the original guitar parts, when they were clearly better/superior

What a surprising comment coming from someone with Robin Finck's name listed under their picture  Roll Eyes

The band replaced the old parts because those guys aren't in the band anymore.. pretty simple stuff

Que lo mejor de mi pasado sea lo peor de tu futuro
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2021, 12:27:03 PM »

I’ve been wanting a studio version of this since 2001! ok Having Slash and Duff on the track is a nice bonus!

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2021, 03:21:41 AM »

My two cents on the topic. I must say that I absolutely love the new version. It's different, it's provocative and it's brutal. As someone mentioned in the thread, it's a lot of PiL/Sex Pistols and for me personally I can hear a lot of Ministry as well. I love it. People who expect to hear old style Guns N' Roses should wake up as we are in 2021 not 1992. The band clearly show that they want to grow musically and experiment in different ways. The same bad press was initially said when the Illusions came out as it was different from the Appetite. Same thing for Chinese comparing to Illusions.

Friends of mine around me (especially musically related people and not huge GN'R fans such as singers, DJ's, guitar players, etc) liked it. They didn't expect to hear new GN'R music at all let alone this. But they liked it exactly because it's different. And in the same time if you are a die hard fan you can see it's not that different. Listen to Down On The Farm, parts of Civil War, Right Next Door to Hell, Black Leather, Perfect Crime, It's So Easy. All those have the provocative fuck off attitude which Absurd has as well. I get why it's not going to be the favorite track to lots of people, but hey, this is exactly why I love the band and the new song. Happy days for GN'R fans after all. We are waiting for the next single and album now. Looking forward.

"...It don't really matter..."
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2021, 06:58:13 AM »

My two cents on the topic. I must say that I absolutely love the new version. It's different, it's provocative and it's brutal. As someone mentioned in the thread, it's a lot of PiL/Sex Pistols and for me personally I can hear a lot of Ministry as well. I love it. People who expect to hear old style Guns N' Roses should wake up as we are in 2021 not 1992. The band clearly show that they want to grow musically and experiment in different ways. The same bad press was initially said when the Illusions came out as it was different from the Appetite. Same thing for Chinese comparing to Illusions.

Friends of mine around me (especially musically related people and not huge GN'R fans such as singers, DJ's, guitar players, etc) liked it. They didn't expect to hear new GN'R music at all let alone this. But they liked it exactly because it's different. And in the same time if you are a die hard fan you can see it's not that different. Listen to Down On The Farm, parts of Civil War, Right Next Door to Hell, Black Leather, Perfect Crime, It's So Easy. All those have the provocative fuck off attitude which Absurd has as well. I get why it's not going to be the favorite track to lots of people, but hey, this is exactly why I love the band and the new song. Happy days for GN'R fans after all. We are waiting for the next single and album now. Looking forward.
Ministry! Good catch.
Agreed all around.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2021, 07:11:17 AM »

Has there been said anything from Axl, Dizzy or others in the band about the lurics. Is it a rant to some spesific people or? Anyone have a clue?

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
shaundix
Opening Act

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2021, 07:42:10 AM »

My spotify desktop app shows the number of times a song has been played, and so far Absurd has been streamed only 320,108 times.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »

My friend said Absurd sounds like something from The Spaghetti Incident?! Except its a original song.
I like his point of view.

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2021, 08:21:17 AM »

My spotify desktop app shows the number of times a song has been played, and so far Absurd has been streamed only 320,108 times.

I went to see how it sounded in Detroit and noticed the official single on youtube itself has almost 700k views
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »

I went to see how it sounded in Detroit and noticed the official single on youtube itself has almost 700k views

There is also Apple Music, Amazon Music, Pandora, just to name a few. On AppleMusic/iTunes it was the number one streamed and downloaded rock song.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »

There is also Apple Music, Amazon Music, Pandora, just to name a few. On AppleMusic/iTunes it was the number one streamed and downloaded rock song.

Yep

And oddly enough - on a silly local station here - I actually heard Gnr name as I was flipping through - and they were talking about the first Gnr single released in how many years

I was shocked to say the least -

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »

I’m really enjoying the song, it’s a lot of fun and it sounded really great live in person the other night.

I think some might be over analyzing and over estimating the “importance” of this song.  There seems to be an added pressure by some fans that the first single that Axl, Slash and Duff put out is supposed to change life itself (I saw someone make a Wyld Stallyns analogy, that was perfect.)

GN’R’s legacy is set in stone.  Nothing they do from this point on is going to improve or diminish that, they are undisputed legends.  The songs they put out from now on are because it’s something they want to do, they don’t need to release another song ever again, they have a 3 hour set list full of hits with more songs to spare.    They are Stones and Aerosmith level.

I think the new song is really cool, and very different , I can’t stop listening to it.  I don’t really think about what it’s going to do for the bands legacy or image or whatever, or if this the “right” lead single etc. Its just my favorite band putting out new music and touring, it doesn’t get any better than that.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2021, 04:06:03 PM »

The best takeaways, in my view, in order :

- shows they actually didn't spend all last year doing nothing
- shows Slash and Duff to be pretty open minded
- shows they aren't just going to try and write '(Still) Out To Get Me' type material...in 2021

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: