Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Absurd / Silkworms
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Absurd / Silkworms  (Read 33917 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2021, 05:09:38 PM »

I’m really enjoying the song, it’s a lot of fun and it sounded really great live in person the other night.

I think some might be over analyzing and over estimating the “importance” of this song.  There seems to be an added pressure by some fans that the first single that Axl, Slash and Duff put out is supposed to change life itself (I saw someone make a Wyld Stallyns analogy, that was perfect.)

Well of course - you are right on with this - but at the same time it's the nature of the beast, right?
When your debut album is considered one of the best in history and unleashed on the world some of the best known rock anthems in history - it's difficult to stomach that 30 years later - a re-united Axl - Slash - Duff - who appear to be a fine-tuned touring wrecking machine - would put out NOT the next Paradise City but instead an odd sounding
re-working of a short tune and something seemingly created mostly by people who aren't even in the current lineup - just a paradox as usual.
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2021, 05:19:08 PM »

I won't lie.  I would never have picked something this abrasive and this out there.  Not as the first time out.

Despite a lot of rampant denial and "well, actually..." type rationalizations, CD was a flop.  Made little impact at the time and has had no lasting impact in the years since.  GNR did not get in the Hall of Fame for anything past 1991.

So I do sort of question releasing something that could be written off "a 'Chinese Democracy' outtake sounding song".  You can say that's lazy and that's not accurate until god calls you.  You knew it would be said, and we already saw some of it.

I dig the tune.  Listened to it a lot the last week.  But they already had me.  Had me since 1988 in 6th grade. 

Do hope the next song is a bit more accessible to the masses.  Would not tempt fate by trying this approach twice.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2021, 05:26:48 PM »

If someone is interested in downloading the track in lossless quality.

https://www.qobuz.com/fi-en/album/absud-guns-n-roses/u8f3iyanyot7b

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2021, 06:25:54 PM »

I have to say that I really started liking the tune when I was at the MetLife show. It kicks a$$ hearing it in person.
MHC
Headliner

« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2021, 07:28:04 PM »

Thanks to the backwards R, here's a protip: "Alexa, play 'ab-soo-dee' by Guns N' Roses"
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2021, 07:30:23 PM »

I won't lie.  I would never have picked something this abrasive and this out there.  Not as the first time out.

Despite a lot of rampant denial and "well, actually..." type rationalizations, CD was a flop.  Made little impact at the time and has had no lasting impact in the years since.  GNR did not get in the Hall of Fame for anything past 1991.

So I do sort of question releasing something that could be written off "a 'Chinese Democracy' outtake sounding song".  You can say that's lazy and that's not accurate until god calls you.  You knew it would be said, and we already saw some of it.

I dig the tune.  Listened to it a lot the last week.  But they already had me.  Had me since 1988 in 6th grade. 

Do hope the next song is a bit more accessible to the masses.  Would not tempt fate by trying this approach twice.

Very fair on all points

I don't love the tune - but as I believe you said in an earlier post - it's a positive thing all around to get something out there

Will say this - and ONLY speaking for myself here - if this song was released with Bucket / Fink still in the band - I think it would be looked at and judged a little differently
It's the "Slash and Duff on it" thing that just doesn't sit quite right with me - almost like - they should be better than this
But we don't know what we don't know, and I will continue to just be patient and hope that this is just a simple shot fired across the bough for better things to come

Peace
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2021, 08:33:32 PM »

Slash and Duff aren’t listed in the credits for the song. We actually only know that Brain played drums. Just sayin’  Embarrassed

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2021, 09:20:48 PM »

Yeah, it's kinda silly the people saying Slash and Duff made it completely their own. They just did the existing electronic riffs on guitars. They didn't actually change anything, so of course they didn't get a writing credit. Hardschool looks to be the same deal, sadly.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2021, 09:58:16 PM »

Yeah, it's kinda silly the people saying Slash and Duff made it completely their own. They just did the existing electronic riffs on guitars. They didn't actually change anything, so of course they didn't get a writing credit. Hardschool looks to be the same deal, sadly.
I think that is very much Slash making it his own. The song feels completely different.

Ali
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2021, 10:09:14 PM »

Slash and Duff aren’t listed in the credits for the song. We actually only know that Brain played drums. Just sayin’  Embarrassed

Has there been an update to the credits? The only thing it said was “other performers” or something like that for brain last I saw. I wonder if that is more for his “remixing and restructuring” of the tune. Can you imagine having toured with a band since 2009 essentially right after they released CD and 12 years later they release a single and you didn’t play on it… the guy you replaced 12 years ago did…

*** edit: saw the drums part of the credits***

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 10:11:47 PM by C0ma » Logged
alex_arg
Opening Act

« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2021, 11:29:09 PM »

I think they put only "Guns N Roses" in credits because of a kind of agreement, so no matter who write more or less on the songs, everything is of GNR. We have to think that are songs written in 1997/99/00, with the exception of Dizzy (and Axl), no one of that members is on the band now, may be in hardschool only.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:31:29 PM by alex_arg » Logged
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2021, 10:42:38 AM »

Perhaps.

But they also didn't tell Axl, "get the fuck outa here with that noise".  To me, that is the bigger takeaway.

Slash and Duff have shown to be all time good sports, frankly.  'Chinese Democracy' and 'Better' have been in literally every show since April 2016 in Las Vegas.  And the earlier legs had multiple CD tunes.  I would not have blamed them one whit if they told Axl they weren't playing that stuff. 

But they have.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »

Silly? They made it sound more like classic GN'R. Less industrial.

Speaking of silly, the ones who say things like "it wasn't good enough for Chinese Democracy". Well in that case You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain weren't good enough for Appetite....  hihi

Just because a song doesn't fit an album doesn't mean it's not good enough.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2021, 03:30:30 PM »

Speaking of silly, the ones who say things like "it wasn't good enough for Chinese Democracy". Well in that case You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry and November Rain weren't good enough for Appetite....  hihi

/jarmo

I agree with Jarmo. Slash and Duff made it sound much closer to old school GN'R, albeit the more punk influenced side.

Ali
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »

Jarmo, when do you think they will release Hard School? beer

Rizzo160
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2021, 04:05:05 PM »

Jarmo, when do you think they will release Hard School? beer

It's been less than a week since Absurd was released.

I refuse to start guessing on the next release date now......

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #176 on: August 10, 2021, 05:36:11 PM »

Just curious if you had heard anything new? beer

Rizzo160
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #177 on: August 10, 2021, 06:39:56 PM »

No

/jarmo

Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2021, 06:53:41 PM »

/jarmo

Even Pitman said, in 2008 or someting?  That it was different from lots of the Chinese material and eould be released later... he said it sounded like GnR 15 years in the future... he was right about the timeframe

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2021, 07:37:20 PM »

Let's take a step back.... GN'R has just released a new studio recording featuring Axl, Slash and Duff!

First one in 27 years! It's pretty insane...

I can't wait for the continuation.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: