Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Use Your Illusions 30th anniversary thread
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Use Your Illusions 30th anniversary thread  (Read 8114 times)
cineater
Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 08:28:37 PM »

What if they released the new album at the same time and called it Use Your Illusion 3

I was thinking that, not the name, along with a tour and they all support each other as a reason they are waiting to release shit.  Then again I go with all business models are shot to hell with the pandemic and streaming music.   hihi  Anybody who is still alive is doing good.

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 08:49:06 PM »

Summer 1991 might have had better setlists, but Axl's voice is ROUGH on a lot of them.  He is far stronger shape on that second leg.

Exactly. Some people say he sounds like Mickey Mouse now, but at that time he was full Donald Duck. That's why I'd rather have Wembley '91 than Ritz '91, but I understand the releasing of the latter, since it was shot on film.

Just super scratchy, that summer of 1991.

You can really hear the hell he is putting his voice through on some of those shows in the U.S. in the summer of 1991.

8.3.91 is the best setlist, on paper, that any GNR fan could hope for.  But it's the last show of that leg, and his voice is clearly blown to hell.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2021, 10:08:55 PM »

What if they released the new album at the same time and called it Use Your Illusion 3
That is funny. Obviously though they would have to record a "new" album together first  Roll Eyes. But yeah, this release is gonna be awesome no matter what. UYI Era GNR is and will always be my favorite. I like most others have said, just hope they don't airbrush anything and give us the raw sound. That is why I (and think most you) loved GNR.   
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 10:14:02 PM »

Yeah the AFD era is overrated. The UYI era was so mysterious and captivating. Just a band living out their wildest dreams and on the absolute top of the world and top of their game. Paris '92 blows any AFD era performance out of the water.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2021, 12:10:00 AM »

Yeah the AFD era is overrated. The UYI era was so mysterious and captivating. Just a band living out their wildest dreams and on the absolute top of the world and top of their game. Paris '92 blows any AFD era performance out of the water.

I don't know about that... Just watch or listen back to shows like the 87 and 88 Ritz shows, the energy from the 88 VMA's, the 89 LA shows supporting The Stones. There is a RAW energy in those AFD era shows that is almost impossible to replicate. Axl  performs for 50-70 minutes at 110% like he's fueled by a 50 gallon drum of cocaine. Sure the catalog is light, but that was just pure magic.

UYI era is great, but there was some bloat and RAW Energy tended to transform into recklessly sloppy. There is also magic in those shows, but it wasn't typically cover to cover magic.

I would be hard pressed to consider 87-89 "over rated"
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2021, 02:34:55 AM »

I don't know about that... Just watch or listen back to shows like the 87 and 88 Ritz shows, the energy from the 88 VMA's, the 89 LA shows supporting The Stones. There is a RAW energy in those AFD era shows that is almost impossible to replicate. Axl  performs for 50-70 minutes at 110% like he's fueled by a 50 gallon drum of cocaine. Sure the catalog is light, but that was just pure magic.

UYI era is great, but there was some bloat and RAW Energy tended to transform into recklessly sloppy. There is also magic in those shows, but it wasn't typically cover to cover magic.

I would be hard pressed to consider 87-89 "over rated"

I'm sorry but you're living in another world; the UYI tour was raw and AFD was just sloppy.

Almost every member of the band said themselves that the Ritz 88 show was a disaster and they sounded terrible. It's a classic example of rock fans calling anything poorly done "raw", as if out of tune guitars are a good thing somehow. It almost seems like a bravado kind of thing, like how guys who hate beer will drink it just because it's "manly". With rock, you get a lot of that in the form of listening to music at painful, damaging volumes, writing music that's just heavy for its own sake with poor melodies, and claiming to enjoy shitty production values.

AFD the record is raw in a good way. But the shows were just sloppy in general, from what I've seen.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2021, 05:24:19 AM »

Two different eras. One was basically a band that played in clubs going to opening for others and then headlining shows.

The other era was basically a band that was on their first proper headlining tour for two years promoting their two albums.

Even the UYI tour can be divided into sub-eras. You got the shows with Izzy before the albums came out when no one really knew all those new songs. Then you got the big production era with Gilby and lastly the scaled down back to the basics final era....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2021, 08:02:57 PM »

Saw them all!  Grin

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2021, 08:20:30 PM »

The summer 91 Indiana shows stood out due to the rush of all those new songs…the reaction of the crowd to November Rain  was classic!

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2021, 12:40:00 AM »

Two different eras. One was basically a band that played in clubs going to opening for others and then headlining shows.

The other era was basically a band that was on their first proper headlining tour for two years promoting their two albums.

Even the UYI tour can be divided into sub-eras. You got the shows with Izzy before the albums came out when no one really knew all those new songs. Then you got the big production era with Gilby and lastly the scaled down back to the basics final era....

/jarmo

Great analysis
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2021, 08:26:28 AM »

Yeah I agree with the UYI stuff. It very much is in eras.

You've got basically in a detailed way... these eras...

-Stuff they did with Steven in Chicago in early 1990.

-The actual recording of the album which took place mainly in late 1990 to early 1991.

-Then the kick off of the tour with Izzy still in the band, with a new drummer in May I think it was of 1991. In Wisc? If I remember right?

-Up to release of records, and the buzz that will never happen again IMO. 2 albums on the same day that big again in a physical format? Never.

-Izzy leaving in Nov of 1991.

-Gilby joining and doing a crazy and sometimes bloated tour for over a year, then the scaled back 1993 Skin N' Bones tour that started in like May or April of 93? That was scheduled to pocket some money as they were all blowing dough big time.

-Then any UYI stuff ends promptly in July of 1993 to my knowledge.

------

What I'm highly interested in is demos, alternate takes, anything from Chicago 1990. With or without Axl. I recall him not being there much at all... right? I'm not all that excited about the concerts Slash mentioned in the interview.

Yeah sure, that would be cool. I want 1993 stuff, I want a DVD in there with random video from the tour, this could be done very well, but I have a feeling it will be just "good" and not something that it deserves.

The AFD 30th was fantastic. Would of been cool to get the RITZ in a remastered way or something on video. But it was great. I'm really hoping they do like a flyer with all the dates played, all the cancellations too... cause it is all apart of the drama and era.

The postponements. I really want this to be killer. I know there's some sweet stuff laying around. We all know it.

I don't want 2 remastered discs, 1 disc of demos or rough mixes that is totaling like 12 tracks, and that's it. That would suck.

Just excited and hoping they go all out. And as I've read it would be amazing if they called the next album Use Your Illusion 3. it would generate buzz and headlines.

Just cause it ties to the 1991 albums. It's been 30 years. Well over that. It's just silly how much wasted time went by. Old Gn'R was dead by 1997, and we've gotten 1 album and 2 songs in 24 years.

Insane...

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2021, 06:08:03 PM »

What I'm highly interested in is demos, alternate takes, anything from Chicago 1990. With or without Axl. I recall him not being there much at all... right? I'm not all that excited about the concerts Slash mentioned in the interview.

Yeah sure, that would be cool. I want 1993 stuff, I want a DVD in there with random video from the tour, this could be done very well, but I have a feeling it will be just "good" and not something that it deserves.

All of that is subjective. Just because a release isn't what you personally wanted doesn't mean it isn't good. I'd rather have those concerts than the Chicago demos, unless they're significantly better quality than what we have already from Chicago.

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: