Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Hard school sooner than later?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard school sooner than later?  (Read 12854 times)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »

Both songs are great! I prefer Hard Skool... I think it's a perfect single to launch an upcoming release, or to get the general public, more aware that GnR is back! Very catchy and I can't get Duff's " Too Hard Skool" out of my head. rofl

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »

'Hard School' is a *much* better song than 'Absurd'.

And would absolutely get airplay.

It would get airplay by default as a new GNR single, but not much organically. It's a by-the-numbers track, let's be honest.

"This sweater I made for you
I think you know where that comes from, guitarcomeon" - Stuff McKracken
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 04:55:57 PM »

It would get airplay by default as a new GNR single, but not much organically. It's a by-the-numbers track, let's be honest.

100 percent agreed.
Only thing I will add is that a day after it’s finally played live and/or released, people will be whining about when the band will release the next single and how it won’t be soon enough.
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 05:00:15 PM »

I disagree, people have waited over 2years for Hardschool and are amped up for its release. beer

Rizzo160
cineater
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 08:44:31 PM »

100 percent agreed.
Only thing I will add is that a day after it’s finally played live and/or released, people will be whining about when the band will release the next single and how it won’t be soon enough.

True, I'm a pushy bitch and I like me some GNR.   hihi

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
kyrie
Legend

Eden has enough to go around

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 12:49:43 PM »

So, this story was picked up by one of the bigger rock stations around here, 97.7 HTZ FM in Southern Ontario (basically Toronto all the way down to Buffalo gets it). They trashed Absurd (calling it a trainwreck of a song) but mentioned there might be something new coming. I don't think they had any additional source, just recycling what made the rounds online...
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 04:10:27 PM »

I disagree, people have waited over 2years for Hardschool and are amped up for its release. beer

What people? A mere subset of the hardcode fans? Most people don't know a thing about it.

rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »

Almost everyone on this forum. beer

Rizzo160
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 07:10:57 PM »

Well, Axl said it's coming soon, so I'm hopeful!

Big question now is: is there an album?

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
rizzo160
VIP

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 08:46:24 PM »

I think an album will come out in November  beer

Rizzo160
dsaddler78
Rocker

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2021, 09:56:44 PM »

I think an album will come out in November  beer
That would be great. I just don't see it happening. The first 2 singles are old songs being reworked. We have had no real reason to believe they have gone into the studio and recorded or even wrote anything new. Unless an entire new album would just be old Chinese vault stuff with reworked parts, I just don't see it
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2021, 07:33:46 PM »

I think an album will come out in November  beer
That would be great. I just don't see it happening. The first 2 singles are old songs being reworked. We have had no real reason to believe they have gone into the studio and recorded or even wrote anything new. Unless an entire new album would just be old Chinese vault stuff with reworked parts, I just don't see it

Huh? Slash explicitly said they were in the studio writing, didn't he? I don't believe that he would ever agree to a whole album of just re-recording parts over existing tracks. Honestly, I'm not even convinced these first singles will be on the album. I look at Absurd like Oh My God. Just a teaser that was easily thrown together.

GingerGringo92
Headliner

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2021, 10:08:58 PM »

I think an album will come out in November  beer

Huh? Slash explicitly said they were in the studio writing, didn't he? I don't believe that he would ever agree to a whole album of just re-recording parts over existing tracks. Honestly, I'm not even convinced these first singles will be on the album. I look at Absurd like Oh My God. Just a teaser that was easily thrown together.

Beta said it'll be on the CD

Que lo mejor de mi pasado sea lo peor de tu futuro
PermissionToLand
Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2021, 09:45:40 AM »

Beta said it'll be on the CD

I haven't seen the quote, but it sounded ambiguous to me. Remember that you need to be careful interpreting the statements from this band. I took it that she was talking about pressing CD singles for Absurd.

sky dog
Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2021, 09:56:05 AM »

Shadow of Your Love-AFD outtake from 1987
Absurd-Chinese Democracy outtake from 2000
Hard Skool-Chinese Democracy outtake from 2000

Permission, no offense, but we have literally no evidence that these guys have recorded one note of new material.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »

So, this story was picked up by one of the bigger rock stations around here, 97.7 HTZ FM in Southern Ontario (basically Toronto all the way down to Buffalo gets it). They trashed Absurd (calling it a trainwreck of a song) but mentioned there might be something new coming. I don't think they had any additional source, just recycling what made the rounds online...

Let's face it.  'Absurd' has made zero impact.  I'd argue because it unplayable on the radio, given the lyrics.

'Hard School' will be played.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2021, 11:11:27 AM »

Shadow of Your Love-AFD outtake from 1987
Absurd-Chinese Democracy outtake from 2000
Hard Skool-Chinese Democracy outtake from 2000

Permission, no offense, but we have literally no evidence that these guys have recorded one note of new material.

Agree, in principle.

But 'Absurd' was obviously worked on a bit.  That is not the demo we have from 20 years ago.

Which tells me 2 things :

- they have been in the studio
- Slash and Duff are willing to try and make this work

Both of which I find encouraging.

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2021, 11:52:22 AM »

Pretty sure Shadow was enhanced as well. Shadow was a Hollywood Rose song!

I was encouraged for potential new music when they agreed to tour together. 5 years later we have what we have.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:13:29 PM by sky dog » Logged

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
D-GenerationX
Legend

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »

I was encouraged for potential new music when they agreed to tour together. 5 years later we have what we have.

Oh, big time on SOYL.  That is not the demo I used to have on CD back in the day.

I'm encouraged by their work on 'Absurd' for one reason.  And it sure as shit ain't that I think it's a great song.

I am shocked to play as many CD songs as they did.  It's tapered off now, but that first leg in 2016, there were 4 CD tunes at my show.  In 2017, my show had 5.  I would think they were perfctly within their rights to say "that's not us, we are not playing that stuff".  And Axl would have to take it.  But they were both good sports.

Take that a step further.  There is probably nothing as "un-GNR" as that tune.  That was as far away as the stuff Slash and Duff normally do.  They agreed to this too.

Basically, they are bending over backwards to be accommodating to Axl.  Playing his CD stuff live.  Taking out the most foreign sounding outtake from those sessions and making it their first "new song" in 30 years.

Should there never be an album, it sure as hell ain't on Slash and Duff, right?

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2021, 06:23:47 PM »

I could be wrong, but to me the vocals on the Shadow of your love single  sound 100 percent like Axl present day.  I’ve never seen this confirmed anywhere , but that’s just what it sounds like to me.  The drumming sounds nothing like Steven and a lot of Slashs guitar parts sound new.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: